Former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton dies at 55

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton dies at 55

http://www.fox29.com/news/272323181-story

Quote:
Former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton passes away
photo

UPDATED: AUG 06 2017 10:46PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) - The Phillies have confirmed that former Phillies catcher Darren Daulton has died after a battle with brain cancer. He was 55 years old.

Daulton’s baseball career began in 1980. He played every season with the Phillies before retiring in 1997 and split the last year with the Florida Marlins.

During the Phillies' 1993 National League Championship season, he had 24 homers and 105 RBI. Daulton was inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame in 2010.

Darren Daulton Foundation helps pay people affected by brain tumors and cancer.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

That's really too bad, damn. He had some great seasons, and was a huge part of those strong Phillies teams of the 90's that almost won a championship.

RIP.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

http://nypost.com/2017/08/07/lenny-dykstra-reads-emotional-darren-daulton-prison-letter/

Quote:
Lenny Dykstra reads emotional Darren Daulton prison letter

Darren Daulton’s death inspired an emotional Lenny Dykstra to share a story about the All-Star catcher that he had “never shared with anybody before.”

Dykstra, the former Met and Daulton’s teammate on the Phillies from 1990-96, took to Facebook to mourn the loss of this friend.

“Dutch, as we called him, was a warrior and a leader,” Dykstra said in his video Monday, a day after Daulton died of brain cancer, as he held back tears. “He was the kind of guy that you wanted on your team, you wanted in your foxhole, and he was without a doubt the unquestionable leader on a team that went from last to first in 1993, where we made baseball fun again in Philadelphia.”

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Dykstra spoke of the strength of his friendship with Daulton, the extent of which was evident when Dykstra was in the midst of legal issues in 2012. Dykstra had pleaded guilty to bankruptcy fraud and was sentenced to three years in prison.

While Dykstra was incarcerated, he received a letter that Daulton had written to the judge on Dykstra’s behalf.

“Your honor, my name is Darren Daulton,” Dykstra read. “I’m a former Major League Baseball player who played with and against Lenny Dykstra. I have become very good friends with him and his family.

“I believe I know what he is capable of doing when times are good, as well as when they are difficult. Obviously, there are two extremes that the dude has lived through. We all experience the extremes, some more than others.

“Your honor, tonight I pray that God provides you the wisdom to judge my friend and provide him the opportunity to make amends with himself and the people that love him.

“Darren Daulton.”

For Dykstra, the letter is “something I’ll never forget, because it gave me hope.”

Dykstra ended his video with a final salute to Daulton: “I’ll miss you Dutch. … It was an honor and a privilege to call you my friend and my teammate.”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: