HBO: The Defiant Ones

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39001
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: HBO: The Defiant Ones

Anyone watch this yet? It tracks the career of iconic music producer Jimmy Iovine and the relationship he formed with Dr. Dre, which culminated in the creation of Beats and Dre going from the streets of Compton to billionaire.

It covers not only almost half a century of music, but the interesting personality that is Iovine and the bond he and Dre formed as they went from the bad guys of the music industry to Tech Industry Moguls.

Binged all 4 episodes and it was riveting.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 78142
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HBO: The Defiant Ones

DaMuleRules wrote:
Anyone watch this yet? It tracks the career of iconic music producer Jimmy Iovine and the relationship he formed with Dr. Dre, which culminated in the creation of Beats and Dre going from the streets of Compton to billionaire.

It covers not only almost half a century of music, but the interesting personality that is Iovine and the bond he and Dre formed as they went from the bad guys of the music industry to Tech Industry Moguls.

Binged all 4 episodes and it was riveting.


Yeah, very cool
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Posts: 1397
Location: East Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

loved it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 41201

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject:

2 chapters in. Great stuff.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 13973

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: HBO: The Defiant Ones

DaMuleRules wrote:
Anyone watch this yet? It tracks the career of iconic music producer Jimmy Iovine and the relationship he formed with Dr. Dre, which culminated in the creation of Beats and Dre going from the streets of Compton to billionaire.

It covers not only almost half a century of music, but the interesting personality that is Iovine and the bond he and Dre formed as they went from the bad guys of the music industry to Tech Industry Moguls.

Binged all 4 episodes and it was riveting.
Agreed. Amazingly done. Great show.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 35263
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Just started watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39001
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 6905
Location: So. Californ-I-A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Watched all 4 as soon as it hit. HBO really got me jacked up about that one. It didn't disappoint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 6905
Location: So. Californ-I-A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .


minor spoiler alert

I enjoyed the fortuitous events that led to the meeting between Shady and Dre. Some would call it fate, but that was seriously some mega millions odds IMO. Some kid from Detroit had a demo tape that somehow made it's way into Jimmy's garage that Dr Dre happened to listen to.

I can't help but wonder what was on that tape that made Dre so intrigued.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 25487

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

great stuff. how like, whimsically and nonchalant Jimmy came up with Beats By Dre , is awesome. lol. It's like he almost got the idea because it rhymed with 'sneaker'.. "not sneakers, speakers". lolol. Genius is funny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 41201

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .


Whoever cut it certainly knows how to work with music. I've liked the handful of moments where they'll use the music from Jimmys story, and blend it with Dre's as they shift to his story. Theres a lot of really nice touches throughout.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39001
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .


Whoever cut it certainly knows how to work with music. I've liked the handful of moments where they'll use the music from Jimmys story, and blend it with Dre's as they shift to his story. Theres a lot of really nice touches throughout.


Yep. The cutting is fantastic. Everything flows together seamlessly. And as you say, the segues are elegant and purposeful.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ben Vereen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 1269

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .


Whoever cut it certainly knows how to work with music. I've liked the handful of moments where they'll use the music from Jimmys story, and blend it with Dre's as they shift to his story. Theres a lot of really nice touches throughout.


Yep. The cutting is fantastic. Everything flows together seamlessly. And as you say, the segues are elegant and purposeful.


My pal Doug Pray cut it. There were some other guys as well but the montages, moments of genius synergy with music and dialog were all Doug.
Be sure to check out his first film 'Hype' and the editing he did on 'American Pimp' also with the Hughes brothers.

Doug, was always great at editing to music, along with being an incredible film maker in his own right, but refined his 'mixtape' editing aesthetic while researching and making the "Scratch" documentary. Spending all that time with Scratch DJ's and dissecting how they made their mixtapes was a huge influence. It's been his signature style ever since and was perfect for this project.


But he still can't edit as good as me though.


Last edited by Ben Vereen on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:28 am; edited 11 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ben Vereen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 1269

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .


minor spoiler alert

I enjoyed the fortuitous events that led to the meeting between Shady and Dre. Some would call it fate, but that was seriously some mega millions odds IMO. Some kid from Detroit had a demo tape that somehow made it's way into Jimmy's garage that Dr Dre happened to listen to.

I can't help but wonder what was on that tape that made Dre so intrigued.


HAHAHAH that was Dorko Dean's doing. lol

The tape given to Jimmy by the intern Dean Gestlinger after much begging and pleading was the original Slim Shady EP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4OhvsWnL0
Only 500 of these were printed up. I got two and a copy of "Infinite" Eminems first tape.

It's too bad that they skipped on the Dorko Dean story, because it's a pretty cool one. Unnecessary in the scope of things but still a cool story none the less. Here I'll tell it.

The tape that Dorko Dean gave to Jimmy was one he got from a desheveled Eminem at the Rap Olympics, a yearly event that originated in the East Coast where Battle MC's from all around the country would face off and go head to head against each other and do their best to verbally destroy each other's manhood apart via harsh, violent, obscene yet creative lyrics that they would rapidfire off the cuff in front of a hardcore unforgiving crowd of rambunctious Hip Hop Heads teetering on the edge. Kinda like what was depicted in 8Mile but nowhere near as organized. This was the first one ever in L.A.
Battle Rapping at the time was still raw and underground, prone to violent outbreaks. Dean had some balls to even be there.
Anyways Emimem actually lost the Rap Olympics to 'Juice'.
You can listen to that here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMeCg_gmyM


Eminem was slanging tapes like most MC's do at the end of the show, I was suprised in the doc that Em said he 'gave' Dean the tape for free because alot of kids in the crowd wanted his tape and were willing to at least spend 5-10 bucks for it and Em was definitely broke at the time. 5 or 10 bucks to a broke MC at the time was a big deal. He might be just saying that because it's like 'whatever'.

Dorko Dean got the nick name Dorko Dean because he was just that. A big dorky, goofy and kinda funny looking baby huey type dude. No girl would look at him back then and he was still kinda new. But he was a hustler/go getter too and Jimmy liked him because of that. Jimmy would go through assistants left and right and after firing one he made Dean answer the phones for that week. Having close enough proximity now Dean just kept telling him that he had a tape that Jimmy needed to hear and get to Dre, which was kinda a no-no for a new intern but Jimmy appreciated the hustle enough to throw Em's tape on the pile of other demo tapes he'd get from only select people.

So.... Dre would always go to Jimmy's pad in Beverly Hills to work out on Friday's since Jimmy had a really nice gym setup that was hardly ever used. iirc the workouts would serve as their weekly meetings back then and Jimmy would play him music while Dre was lifting. Dre would pretty much just lift and not care for the different demo's Jimmy would play, it was like. "how bout this dre?" "no?" "okay how about this?" or this or that "nah" "no" "hellnaw". It would get comical.

Dre was in the middle of a bench press set and not really paying attention when Jimmy popped Em's tape in. For the first time Dre stops mid set, racks the bar, stands up starts nodding his head and says "who the ***ck is that!!!?"

Jimmy got on the phone almost immediately to Dean. FIND THAT KID!!!

That lead to the eventual meeting and legendary studio session with Labie Seffrie sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKISdd2mKzU @ 2:20ish

Fast forward - The Slim Shady LP is a smash hit.
Jimmy gives Dorko Dean, now addressed as Mr. Geistlinger, a huge office, an assistant and all kinds of amenities.
Almost overnight everyone in town it seems got to know Dean's name and wants to get him their demo tapes, vids, tickets everything. Dude would walk right into the hottest, exclusive clubs in L.A. and get immediate VIP treatment from the promoters and everything. He became an instant celeb as well in his own right and every unsigned rap group and their brother was trying to be his friend. Not even old enough to drink but sharing bottles with Fred Dirst & Kid Rock at House of Blues surrounded by groupies.

How do I know all this?
I was cutting music vids on a TV show at the time for Jimmy and Doug Morris at the 10UCP building (old texaco building, now the Comcast NBC Building) in front of Universal and people just wouldn't shut up about the Dorko Dean story.

Anyways, all the kinda dumb semi hot to super hot girls working for Interscope or on Jimmy's TV show were trying to hook up with Dorko Dean and Dorko Dean was certainly enjoying his newfound social status with the ladies. The same girls that wouldn't have bothered looking his way were now passing him their number, competing for dates and getting banged out by Dorko Dean. Same thing at the clubs, Dorko Dean was getting mad play everywhere.

Dunno where he is now but Dorko Dean is a cottam American success story in his own right I tell ya!!!


Last edited by Ben Vereen on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 2706
Location: Quality over Quantity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Great story, thanks for that tidbit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 6905
Location: So. Californ-I-A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:
Legacy wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
I think one of my favorite moments (among many) was when Dre talked about having MnM in the studio that first time and playing what became that famous riff and Marshall immediately and impromptuly launching into "my name is, my name is" . . .


minor spoiler alert

I enjoyed the fortuitous events that led to the meeting between Shady and Dre. Some would call it fate, but that was seriously some mega millions odds IMO. Some kid from Detroit had a demo tape that somehow made it's way into Jimmy's garage that Dr Dre happened to listen to.

I can't help but wonder what was on that tape that made Dre so intrigued.


HAHAHAH that was Dorko Dean's doing. lol

The tape given to Jimmy by the intern Dean Gestlinger after much begging and pleading was the original Slim Shady EP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4OhvsWnL0
Only 500 of these were printed up. I got two and a copy of "Infinite" Eminems first tape.

It's too bad that they skipped on the Dorko Dean story, because it's a pretty cool one. Unnecessary in the scope of things but still a cool story none the less. Here I'll tell it.

The tape that Dorko Dean gave to Jimmy was one he got from a desheveled Eminem at the Rap Olympics, a yearly event that originated in the East Coast where Battle MC's from all around the country would face off and go head to head against each other and do their best to verbally destroy each other's manhood apart via harsh, violent, obscene yet creative lyrics that they would rapidfire off the cuff in front of a hardcore unforgiving crowd of rambunctious Hip Hop Heads teetering on the edge. Kinda like what was depicted in 8Mile but nowhere near as organized. This was the first one ever in L.A.
Battle Rapping at the time was still raw and underground, prone to violent outbreaks. Dean had some balls to even be there.
Anyways Emimem actually lost the Rap Olympics to 'Juice'.
You can listen to that here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMeCg_gmyM


Eminem was slanging tapes like most MC's do at the end of the show, I was suprised in the doc that Em said he 'gave' Dean the tape for free because alot of kids in the crowd wanted his tape and were willing to at least spend 5-10 bucks for it and Em was definitely broke at the time. 5 or 10 bucks to a broke MC at the time was a big deal. He might be just saying that because it's like 'whatever'.

Dorko Dean got the nick name Dorko Dean because he was just that. A big dorky, goofy and kinda funny looking baby huey type dude. No girl would look at him back then and he was still kinda new. But he was a hustler/go getter too and Jimmy liked him because of that. Jimmy would go through assistants left and right and after firing one he made Dean answer the phones for that week. Having close enough proximity now Dean just kept telling him that he had a tape that Jimmy needed to hear and get to Dre, which was kinda a no-no for a new intern but Jimmy appreciated the hustle enough to throw Em's tape on the pile of other demo tapes he'd get from only select people.

So.... Dre would always go to Jimmy's pad in Beverly Hills to work out on Friday's since Jimmy had a really nice gym setup that was hardly ever used. iirc the workouts would serve as their weekly meetings back then and Jimmy would play him music while Dre was lifting. Dre would pretty much just lift and not care for the different demo's Jimmy would play, it was like. "how bout this dre?" "no?" "okay how about this?" or this or that "nah" "no" "hellnaw". It would get comical.

Dre was in the middle of a bench press set and not really paying attention when Jimmy popped Em's tape in. For the first time Dre stops mid set, racks the bar, stands up starts nodding his head and says "who the ***ck is that!!!?"

Jimmy got on the phone almost immediately to Dean. FIND THAT KID!!!

That lead to the eventual meeting and legendary studio session with Labie Seffrie sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKISdd2mKzU @ 2:20ish

Fast forward - The Slim Shady LP is a smash hit.
Jimmy gives Dorko Dean, now addressed as Mr. Geistlinger, a huge office, an assistant and all kinds of amenities.
Almost overnight everyone in town it seems got to know Dean's name and wants to get him their demo tapes, vids, tickets everything. Dude would walk right into the hottest, exclusive clubs in L.A. and get immediate VIP treatment from the promoters and everything. He became an instant celeb as well in his own right and every unsigned rap group and their brother was trying to be his friend. Not even old enough to drink but sharing bottles with Fred Dirst & Kid Rock at House of Blues surrounded by groupies.

How do I know all this?
I was cutting music vids on a TV show at the time for Jimmy and Doug Morris at the 10UCP building (old texaco building, now the Comcast NBC Building) in front of Universal and people just wouldn't shut up about the Dorko Dean story.

Anyways, all the kinda dumb semi hot to super hot girls working for Interscope or on Jimmy's TV show were trying to hook up with Dorko Dean and Dorko Dean was certainly enjoying his newfound social status with the ladies. The same girls that wouldn't have bothered looking his way were now passing him their number, competing for dates and getting banged out by Dorko Dean. Same thing at the clubs, Dorko Dean was getting mad play everywhere.

Dunno where he is now but Dorko Dean is a cottam American success story in his own right I tell ya!!!


That was awesome man. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 35263
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Good read, BV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 39001
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Great story, thanks for that tidbit.


Yep!
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
Heís something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built thatís all for show goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB