Comments by Phil Jackson, it appears Phil has the final say and not Mitch.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Comments by Phil Jackson, it appears Phil has the final say and not Mitch.

http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_14.e618236.html
Quote:
Notebook: No trade needed for playoffs
Broderick Turner
01:42 AM PST on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

LOS ANGELES - There will be rumors and speculation about the Lakers making trades, but Coach Phil Jackson said he's not seeking a trade. The trading deadline is Feb. 23, and the Lakers probably could use some veteran help in the backcourt.

"I'm just trying to see if we can't improve this team however we will, or can," Jackson said before Monday night's game. "And if there are opportunities ... I'll OK it (a trade) or turn it down if I don't like it."

When asked if the Lakers need to make a deal to ensure they make the playoffs, Jackson said no. Asked if they could make the playoffs with the team they have, Jackson replied, "Without a doubt."

It would be nice to know if Phil has final say on the players who get drafted or acquired via trade. Based on these comments, it appears Phil may have the final say or veto power. However, this contradicts the belief that Jim Buss has the final say based on Bynum being the 1st pick and Artest not becoming a Laker. After all, Phil prefers experienced players and made a point to express interest in Artest.

Turner should have followed up his question by asking if Phil thought this team could win the playoffs without a trade. He should have put Phil on the spot to see how content Phil is with this team and if they had a chance for any playoff success. Turner’s question implies the Lakers are content with just making the playoffs and that is the team’s ultimate goal.

Phil Jackson and Jordan were never content with just making the playoffs, while they were the greatest coach and player tandem in the league. It’s nice that Lakers management has lowered the bar for Jackson.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When asked if the Lakers need to make a deal to ensure they make the playoffs, Jackson said no. Asked if they could make the playoffs with the team they have, Jackson replied, "Without a doubt."

8) I love it... Go get em Jax...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Quote:

8) I love it... Go get em Jax...

Tell'em Phil!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

Great......now we're happy just making the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

I don't know how true that is because considering how he glows when he talks about Ron-Ron he would have pulled the trigger on the Artest trade. I think he may be able to pull rank but the owner has the final say.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Comments by Phil Jackson, it appears Phil has the final say and not Mitch.

iml84myd8s wrote:
http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_14.e618236.html
Quote:
Notebook: No trade needed for playoffs
Broderick Turner
01:42 AM PST on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

LOS ANGELES - There will be rumors and speculation about the Lakers making trades, but Coach Phil Jackson said he's not seeking a trade. The trading deadline is Feb. 23, and the Lakers probably could use some veteran help in the backcourt.

"I'm just trying to see if we can't improve this team however we will, or can," Jackson said before Monday night's game. "And if there are opportunities ... I'll OK it (a trade) or turn it down if I don't like it."

It would be nice to know if Phil has final say on the players who get drafted or acquired via trade. Based on these comments, it appears Phil may have the final say or veto power. However, this contradicts the belief that Jim Buss has the final say based on Bynum being the 1st pick and Artest not becoming a Laker. After all, Phil prefers experienced players and made a point to express interest in Artest.

I think you are reading too much into it. A GM shouldn't acquire players that his coach doesn't want. If Houston calls up and offers Derek Anderson and Stromile Swift for George and Medvedenko, the first thing Mitch should do is call Phil and ask him what he thinks of Anderson and Swift. If Phil says that he doesn't want him, Mitch tells Houston, "No thanks."
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject:

I concur.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

We haven't talked about this since the speculation surrounding Phil's return to the Lakers, but much of the talk centered around Phil wanting more say in the player personnel decisions as one of the conditions of his return.

His comment doesn't surprise me at all.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

That has always been the goal for this season. The Lakers have rebuilt their roster in two seasons and now have the second youngest roster in the NBA. Before the season started, it looked very optomistic that the Lakers would make the playoffs.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

Sounds like more smokescreen.
pgbball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Larry, I'm sure Laker fans will be much happier if we win it all. However, expectations for this team have to be realistic. With this current roster, making the playoffs is probably as good as it is going to be.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

Smokescreen.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

pgbball wrote:
Larry, I'm sure Laker fans will be much happier if we win it all. However, expectations for this team have to be realistic. With this current roster, making the playoffs is probably as good as it is going to be.

Misses the point. The post to which I responded was a response to a contention that the team wouldn't make the playoffs with the current roster, which said (paraphrasing) "It's okay, they'll make the playoffs with the current roster."

The point is whether there are roster moves available which will improve the team, both this year and for the future. "It's okay, they'll make the playoffs as-is" is not a valid excuse to stand pat.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Misses the point. The post to which I responded was a response to a contention that the team wouldn't make the playoffs with the current roster, which said (paraphrasing) "It's okay, they'll make the playoffs with the current roster."

The point is whether there are roster moves available which will improve the team, both this year and for the future. "It's okay, they'll make the playoffs as-is" is not a valid excuse to stand pat.

Agreed this franchise is not only about making the playoffs.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
pgbball wrote:

This HAS to be posturing on the team's part - if everyone thinks we are desperate to make a move, it weakens our position. Phil is also giving Mitch an opportunity to negotiate deals without going on the line for them - Mitch can get it all lined up, and then say, sorry, Phil said no. Gives him leverage and flexibility.

I don;t think you can take anything Mitch or Phil say to the press at face value for the next two weeks. Especially not Phil. EVERYTHING he says has an agenda, and sometimes several.
Wags_16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:

The Laker teams have all gone through rebuilding stages even when Jerry West was the GM. Fans just have to be patient with the process.

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

pgbball
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
pgbball wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Since you did not reference the post you were responding to, it is easy to take your post as a general comment.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

I second this.

A team with arguably the greatest player currently in the game should NEVER be in rebuilding mode. The Bulls with Jordan and the Lakers with Shaq were ALWAYS in reload mode.

Kobe is in his prime and arguably the greatest player currently in the game. Lakers should be reloading every year to make a run at the championship, while Kobe is this dominate. Rebuilding is for teams with no superstar!

I would also argue Phil Jackson deserves another run at his 10th title. Let's be honest, Phil is not getting any younger and his health is not getting any better.

This is not the NFL with a hard salary cap. NBA and MLB can reload every year to make a run at a championship, if the owners chose to do so.

Phil and Kobe deserve more...now.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Guys.

Look at the schedule. If the team can't win 18 more games with that sort of schedule - they all need to be traded and Phil needs to be fired.

Noway a team with Kobe, Odom and some role players along with Phil as coach should screw up the situation they have the rest of the season.

At the same time though - I would welcome a good aquisition.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Phils statements are great. Phil has made a solid commitment without any wishy washy ZEN. Winning and losing is solely on Phils shoulders now and I will definitely enjoy seeing how he does it.No more criticism from me about his rotations, playing Walton, sitting on the bench doing nothing, etc. Since Phil "took" the GM job as well as coach, he gets a lot of the credit if Lakers win and most if not all the blame when lakers lose- its his team now
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

if this where true, Artest would be here, and Bynum would be in Indy.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I second this.

A team with arguably the greatest player currently in the game should NEVER be in rebuilding mode. The Bulls with Jordan and the Lakers with Shaq were ALWAYS in reload mode.

Kobe is in his prime and arguably the greatest player currently in the game. Lakers should be reloading every year to make a run at the championship, while Kobe is this dominate. Rebuilding is for teams with no superstar!

I would also argue Phil Jackson deserves another run at his 10th title. Let's be honest, Phil is not getting any younger and his health is not getting any better.

This is not the NFL with a hard salary cap. NBA and MLB can reload every year to make a run at a championship, if the owners chose to do so.

Phil and Kobe deserve more...now.

Whenever a team lses a superstar they are ALWAYS in rebuilding mode, unless that superstar is replaced with equal value; but that just about never happens. When Jordan retired, the Bulls were in rebuilding mode (still are). When Magic retired, the Lakers were in rebuilding mode. When Malone departed Utah was in rebuilding mode. When Brekley left Phoenix, they were in rebuilding mode. When Shaun Kemp left, the Sonics were in rebuilding mode. A team generally needs two superstars to win. Few win with just one (Notable exception being Detroit which is a great team with many very good players but no real superstar)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Wait - So making the playoffs after a lottery season is a bad season?

I guess you guys need to be fans of Detroit, SA or whoever is the favorite each season.

Part of becoming a winner is building one. You don't build a winner in one day.

If we make the playoffs this season - and with the schedule upcoming we should - the season would be a good stepping stone.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Wolf, did you read Phil's quote Playoffs won't be a accomplishment for this Franchise they want more.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
Wolf, did you read Phil's quote Playoffs won't be a accomplishment for this Franchise they want more.

Yes I read it and have been saying it all season.

44 wins is the target. Right now, even though they are only 1 game over .500 - they are on course.

If you guys expect a team that's so young and so unproven to be great in one season it's not realistic.

I will assure you that Buss - the owner paying out all that cash - isn't happy watching this team either.

BUT it's a reality that teams must face when re-building.

And - All trades and avenues will be looked into. If there's a move that the Lakers see that will benefit them longterm - I expect them to make it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: