Re-Signing KCP To Max.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I would be disappointed if we got rid of Dlo so we could max out KCP and re sign Brook to a huge deal.

Even if they turn out to be better players?

I do not know why Dlo is constantly brought up. He is no longer here. I will say that I would rather have KCP than Dlo. I look at Dlo at a tweener between PG and SG. Last I checked, we have our pg, and I think KCP is a better fit at sg than Dlo.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

KCP on a one year $20 million deal is actually a great move because it offers so much flexibility. Do you guys remember when Mitch signed Kwame Brown for a 1 year $9 million? EVERYONE knew he was overpaying. But Mitch knew he'd need a way to match salaries in any potential trade. Worst case, Kwame stays for one year and you have the capspace. That move paved way for Pau Gasol.

I bet KCP's contract was intended to work the same way. If Paul George or Lebron wants out, we have a contract that not only matches most of their salary, but is tied to a player that is not all that bad. Worst case, KCP's contract comes off the books and we go after PG and LJ in the offseason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

LakerReign wrote:
At what point & price does KCP become equivalent to Paul George?

When both have 10 years in the league
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
KCP on a one year $20 million deal is actually a great move because it offers so much flexibility. Do you guys remember when Mitch signed Kwame Brown for a 1 year $9 million? EVERYONE knew he was overpaying. But Mitch knew he'd need a way to match salaries in any potential trade. Worst case, Kwame stays for one year and you have the capspace. That move paved way for Pau Gasol.

I bet KCP's contract was intended to work the same way. If Paul George or Lebron wants out, we have a contract that not only matches most of their salary, but is tied to a player that is not all that bad. Worst case, KCP's contract comes off the books and we go after PG and LJ in the offseason.

No.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
If the Lakers have this big capspace plan and end up with Lopez and KCP long term....

Exactly.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
Yes, it would be a great idea to max out a very good roleplayer.

Having this guy on a max contract will do little to nothing to lure a big time player like PG.

It makes more sense to get superstars and then fill out the rest of your roster. It's the reason why the Spurs/Warriors get such bargain contracts - because they have all the major pieces and ring chasers can't help but take a discount to join them.

BB Wisdom 101.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would be disappointed if we got rid of Dlo so we could max out KCP and re sign Brook to a huge deal.

That would just finally validate the bad deal that had us trading DLO in a salary dump.
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
We're getting into the dead zone of the off-season, where there is really nothing to talk about and everything gets over-analyzed. This was the time of year when Marcus Banks became a legendary point guard.

A month ago, I suspect that about 40% of the posters in this forum would have struggled to tell you what KCP stood for and what team he played for. Now we have someone seriously suggesting that he's a max player. Okay.

JHT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
We're getting into the dead zone of the off-season, where there is really nothing to talk about and everything gets over-analyzed. This was the time of year when Marcus Banks became a legendary point guard.

A month ago, I suspect that about 40% of the posters in this forum would have struggled to tell you what KCP stood for and what team he played for. Now we have someone seriously suggesting that he's a max player. Okay.

Yeah and were a 50 win team fighting for a top 4 seed.

KCP is here because we're going to pay him $18mm, a massive sum for him, and give him plenty of run so he can showcase himself into a massive deal next off season. Hope it isnt with us...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

JHT wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

KCP is here because we're going to pay him $18mm, a massive sum for him, and give him plenty of run so he can showcase himself into a massive deal next off season. Hope it isnt with us...

I can remember people on this board talking themselves into believing that we should offer the full MLE, or more, for Marcus Banks. But hey, if KCP blossoms into a star and can actually command a big contract, that would be great. I'm not pulling against him, and I wouldn't complain if we turned out to be a 50 win team fighting for a top 4 seed.
JHT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JHT wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I can remember people on this board talking themselves into believing that we should offer the full MLE, or more, for Marcus Banks. But hey, if KCP blossoms into a star and can actually command a big contract, that would be great. I'm not pulling against him, and I wouldn't complain if we turned out to be a 50 win team fighting for a top 4 seed.

Of course not but lets be realistic about it. It's it like KCP has been rotting on a bench somewhere just needing minutes. He's basically been starting for the Pistons for 4 years now. Those type of massive breakouts don't happen in year 5 very frequently. I accept that this is basically what he is
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I think we can grade him once we see KCP in the flow of a regular season game paired with Casey P in the back court.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

JHT wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JHT wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Of course not but lets be realistic about it. It's it like KCP has been rotting on a bench somewhere just needing minutes. He's basically been starting for the Pistons for 4 years now. Those type of massive breakouts don't happen in year 5 very frequently. I accept that this is basically what he is

Yes, most players reach their peak at 23.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
MJST wrote:
Alright let's play a game...

If a "name" player at 24 put up 18/5/4 while playing lock down defense and shooting 45% from the field and 41% from three.

How much would you pay to get him?

If KCP does that we need to re-sign him.

People get way way WAY too locked in on "names" and don't understand how strong it makes us.

If we went and got Paul George, we'd have to bench Ingram or force Ingram to play the 2 which he isn't capable of, or we'd have to force George to play the 2 or the 4 which he isn't comfortable with.

But if we keep KCP we can play KCP who had those great numbers AND Ingram together in a situation that fits both of them better and allows them to be maximized further and ultimately is probably the better outcome.

Thats Avery Bradley territory. Not sure if thats a max guy to me and I don't know if its as simple as the numbers. If he's a leader out there for us, maybe.

I just don't see that happening unless BI and/or Zo fall flat on their face.

Oh I wouldn't max him at 30M a year, but I'd pay him very handily and wouldn't try to short change him.

Wouldn't go 30M but in this current CBA with the current market value some guys are getting, I'd say anywhere from 18-22M would be the territory for an 18/5/4 guy that plays top tier defense and shoots 45% fromthe field and 41% from three. I mean JJ Redick got a one year 22 Mill contract for 15/1/2 with no defense, on 44% from the field and 42% from three, and at 33.

Do I'd say at 24 a kid putting up 18/5/4 on 45% from the field and 41% from three could probably demand more in the current market value as it's set, so retaining KCP anywhere from 18-22M would be a solid outcome for us.

The only reason guys like this get paid that much is because there is a salary cap minimum. Otherwise you just keep sucking get lotto picks until you have talent enough to open a real window.

The fact that this discussion is even ongoing is a testament to how beaten down the laker fan base is. Signing him to a 20 plus million dollar deal is nonsensical - if your goal is to win a title.

Maybe we can get mozgov back. We neeed more cap deadweight. 4 years?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Signing KCP To Max.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
In the event that the Lakers are unable to sign LeBron James and Paul George (or maybe just sign PG13) I think without a doubt the best possible move would be to max out KCP and make sure he remains in Los Angeles and allow him to grow with Ingram and Ball. He's the first legit 3&D the Lakers have had in years probably since Artest or Ariza. Those kind of guys are invaluable in today's NBA and KCP still has the potential to grow and develop into a more consistent shooter and his numbers should very well sky rocket with Lonzo. His defense is top notch when it comes to defending opposing guards.

Thoughts?

He would have to fall in to that sweet zone where he isn't good enough for another team to give him a legit offer, while he spends a few weeks waiting for LeBron to make his decision.

Just my personal opinion, but I expect the Lakers to hesitate on making good move because LeBronze is jerking them off with zero intention of really coming here. We will end up wasting our time. Hopefully LeBron at least has a soft grip so our years of getting jerked around are actually enjoyable.

A potential benefit to our arrangement is that LBJ and KCP share agents. If LBJ isn't coming, Rich Paul might give us an early heads up so we can quickly close on KCP.

Last edited by gng930 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
If the Lakers have this big capspace plan and end up with Lopez and KCP long term....

I highly doubt they will blow all their space on those two. If they strike out next summer with the big names, they can get one of KCP/Bradley and one of JR/Lopez at around $40 million total, hold off on stretching Deng/dumping JC, and then target Klay/Butler/Kawhi the following summer:

JR/Lopez
BI
Klay/Butler/Kawhi
KCP/Bradley
Ball

Backups: Hart, Kuzma, Bryant, and possibly Nance/Zubac
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Ineed to see him play first with the squad, but as of right now, he's not a max player.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

As if he will suddenly average 25/5/5 and lead us to the playoffs.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
Ineed to see him play first with the squad, but as of right now, he's not a max player.

As of right now? .

As if he will suddenly average 25/5/5 and lead us to the playoffs. Man, these espn kids are something else.

LOL. you're right I didn't mean to put that lol
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

If KCP is here next year, chances are he lived up to his 2013 8th overall pick status - or played well and showed promise. That's a good thing given that he's the doberman we havent had at SG since a pre-Achilles injured Kobe. He shoots 3s pretty well, a great finisher, and has been known to put the clamps on elite players like Steph and Bin Harden. And he's still only 24.

If we move on from him we are in even better shape cap wise. I'm hoping he balls out in his 1-year audition for Magic and Rob. We might have a diamond in the rough with this guy.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
That's a good thing given that he's the doberman we havent had at SG since a pre-Achilles injured Kobe.

Oh boy. It's like we stepped into a time machine.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Seems like some people forgot KCP is just 24.

If he has a breakout season YOU RE-SIGN HIM, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
That's a good thing given that he's the doberman we havent had at SG since a pre-Achilles injured Kobe.

Oh boy. It's like we stepped into a time machine.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: