Better coach: Phil or Popovich?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better coach: Phil or Popovich?
Phil Jackson
34%
 34%  [ 20 ]
Greg Popovich
65%
 65%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 58

Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
If it makes any sense, I have Phil as greater and poppovich as the better coach. There's no doubt Phil had all time talent to work with, but he also was able to keep it going for multiple runs, something unseen since the sixties. Otoh, popovic was willing and able to completely change his system with the times, and varies it year to year.

Very true, but if I had to pick one of them to coach my team, which I believe is part of this evaluation process, it would be Pop due to his ability to evolve with the game. Phil is trying to put a round peg in a square hole that used to be round.

Depends what kind of team you had. If Phil or Pop were coming to a team full of Egos, then I take Phil. For any other team, probably Pop.

With that said, Phil has more rings and had a better H2H playoff record versus Pop. Given that, I think Phil leaves a better legacy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
If it makes any sense, I have Phil as greater and poppovich as the better coach. There's no doubt Phil had all time talent to work with, but he also was able to keep it going for multiple runs, something unseen since the sixties. Otoh, popovic was willing and able to completely change his system with the times, and varies it year to year.

Very true, but if I had to pick one of them to coach my team, which I believe is part of this evaluation process, it would be Pop due to his ability to evolve with the game. Phil is trying to put a round peg in a square hole that used to be round.

Depends what kind of team you had. If Phil or Pop were coming to a team full of Egos, then I take Phil. For any other team, probably Pop.

With that said, Phil has more rings and had a better H2H playoff record versus Pop. Given that, I think Phil leaves a better legacy.

That's fair, although if you rank the players in those matchups, almost all of the top guys are Phil's.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Of course. Same type of thinking (for me) applies for when people brag about Lebron making to 7 straight finals. In the East? Really? It's a joke of a conference, but the narrative always shifts to whatever supports James.

Besides a broken down Celtics team in 2011, he hasn't had much competition at all in the East.

Toronto? Atlanta? Boston? Really? It's a joke.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Where does Pat Riley rank among these three?
He does not sit at the same table as Phil or Pop.

Why not? Five rings, three time coach of the year.
I just think the body of work that Phil and Pop have is more impressive and they did it in a much longer stretch.

I'd say Pop and Riley are pretty close.

They each won 5 rings. They each won rings 20 years apart.

They were each coach of the year three times.

Riley had a .636 winning percentage in the regular season and .606 in the playoffs. Pop stands at .694 and .610.

I'd say most people consider the big four coaches to be Phil, Pop, Riley and Auerbach and then everyone else.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Where does Pat Riley rank among these three?
He does not sit at the same table as Phil or Pop.

Why not? Five rings, three time coach of the year.
I just think the body of work that Phil and Pop have is more impressive and they did it in a much longer stretch.

I'd say Pop and Riley are pretty close.

They each won 5 rings. They each won rings 20 years apart.

They were each coach of the year three times.

Riley had a .636 winning percentage in the regular season and .606 in the playoffs. Pop stands at .694 and .610.

I'd say most people consider the big four coaches to be Phil, Pop, Riley and Auerbach and then everyone else.

And they both took out a coach working for them when the team was ready to win.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

And they both took out a coach working for them when the team was ready to win.

And they both won.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That's fair, although if you rank the players in those matchups, almost all of the top guys are Phil's.

Which of the 01, 02, 03, 04, or 08 spurs teams do you think was the weakest/strongest?
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: