Will Lakers Kyle Kuzma's Summer League Play Translate to NBA?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Will Lakers Kyle Kuzma's Summer League Play Translate to NBA?

Hey all,

. [ at ] hollywood_hoops Ep 42: Will Lakers Kyle Kuzma's Summer League Play Translate to NBA? w/@Sam_Vecenie
@JoshMartinNBA https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-42-will-lakers-kyle-kuzmas-summer-league-translate-nba/

Cheers,

Eric
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Good stuff, thanks EP!
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Sam was a bit of a nay-sayer to me.

Ya Kuzma was good in SPL but....
Ya Ball looked great in SPL but....
Ya the Lakers not have cap space but....

He was a bit frustrating to listen to.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Off topic, but the opening theme song to the podcast is so catchy and great
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Jason Tatum is good, but he's Lemarcus Aldredge. 10 years ago he would have been great. Today, hes not a good pick at #3 - I disagree completely with Sam on that one - and I watched him in person in Vegas.

I do agree with all of you about Dlo - we will have to wait and see on that one.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:

I agree, it was like summer league was a complete waste of time for the Lakers. Sounds like he did not like the Dangelo trade and maybe having Ball and Kuzma wasn't worth it.

There are facts which are objective and interpretation of facts which are subjective.
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

answer is yes! The kid shoots lights out. The big bad nba players may guard him a little better, but he'll get plenty of open looks in the new ball offense. Couple that with his bb iq and aggressivness and he should be amazing.....
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I think if you look at Nance Jr.'s play so far, I parallel his development with Kuzma. I must add Kuzma has more foot speed than Nance, and seems to be a much better outside shooter which translates into a better performance. They have similar habits on the court and I believe that they will split time with Nance playing more at the 5 than 4. Kuzma's game looks pretty solid and I believe he will excel.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

laker84 wrote:
Kava wrote:

I agree, it was like summer league was a complete waste of time for the Lakers. Sounds like he did not like the Dangelo trade and maybe having Ball and Kuzma wasn't worth it.

There are facts which are objective and interpretation of facts which are subjective.

Sam is an Ohio State grad so he may be a BIT biased
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject:

I would say YES, but not instantly. I think its going to take some time before he begins to see the translation from summer league to regular season. It may even take a year...

The majority of the Summer League players are not yet NBA seasoned vets so your competition level is still what you've played your last season of basketball. That's where the rubber meats the road because some get better (Kuzma) during that time and some don't.

Kuz has elevated his play enough to earn a contract and a shoe deal. Now he'll have to continue to prove to everyone just how good of a player he can truly be.
laker84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
laker84 wrote:
Kava wrote:

Sam is an Ohio State grad so he may be a BIT biased

Oh I see, that's why he was so critical about how Utah utilized Kuzma. I think alot of Kuzma's success may have come from Utah's system because its run by former NBA player and coach Larry Kristowiak.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

You know Nance has talent and while we often see flashes of it, he has always played with sort of a lack of fire and confidence.

Kuzma has potentially more offensive skills than Nance, but it's hard to predict what kind of confidence-level he plays with in the NBA..

The reason people are predicting he could be the steal of the draft, is if he can go out there and just impose his will on the court, kinda like Booker (who was the 13th player picked in the draft)...

BTW: Kuzma had a birthday on July 24th...!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Informative podcast

Anything Magic says about Ball will often be interpreted as criticizing DLo.

They were able to make the trade because DLo is talented. He is not the difference maker that Ball is in defining a team culture, but he will produce

It is like the difference between Magic and Moncrief, they were both very talented players with one being a transcendent player

DLo is the most effective as a SG

Appreciate the views on BI

Interesting that he has the Clippers not making the playoffs with a backcourt where one guard is great at defense and the other guard just plays "Olay" on one side of the court

Fascinating to see Blake play the 5, as if he is KD. Blake is talented, but he is a long ways from being KD
Tick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
I would say YES, but not instantly. I think its going to take some time before he begins to see the translation from summer league to regular season. It may even take a year...

The majority of the Summer League players are not yet NBA seasoned vets so your competition level is still what you've played your last season of basketball. That's where the rubber meats the road because some get better (Kuzma) during that time and some don't.

Kuz has elevated his play enough to earn a contract and a shoe deal. Now he'll have to continue to prove to everyone just how good of a player he can truly be.

Here's my take...

If there are doubts about ones performance in Summer League translating into the regular season, then what does that say about college? Competition in summer league is better than anything you'll find in college. I think if you do well in summer league you have what it takes to perform well in regular season. It'll come down to your situation and surrounding teammates.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: