Could predictive policing contribute to police shootings? Palantir: the ‘special ops’ tech giant that wields as much real-world power as Google
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
tox wrote:
I actually interviewed with Palantir and turned them down when they didn't want to place me on a machine learning team. Probably a good thing as I was pretty naive about what they do. I've heard from people in the industry that their ethics are questionable... but they are smart as hell.
but thats also why maybe someone like you needed to be on the team. it could be a trump situation. on one hand no one wants to attach themselves to something so unethical(if that is actually the case). on the other hand who's going to protect us if no one is on the inside with a moral/ethical compass?

I was interviewing as an intern. Realistically I wouldn't have any influence in the direction of the company until, like, 2025, and even then I'm sure if I pushed too far an ethical consideration they'd push me out of the company.

Also, to be perfectly fair to Palantir, I've only heard secondhand that some of their analytic tools are used (e.g. for drone strikes and such) with questionable ethics. But hearsay is often reductive and I kind of feel bad (bleep) talking a company based off that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
tox wrote:
I actually interviewed with Palantir and turned them down when they didn't want to place me on a machine learning team. Probably a good thing as I was pretty naive about what they do. I've heard from people in the industry that their ethics are questionable... but they are smart as hell.
but thats also why maybe someone like you needed to be on the team. it could be a trump situation. on one hand no one wants to attach themselves to something so unethical(if that is actually the case). on the other hand who's going to protect us if no one is on the inside with a moral/ethical compass?

I was interviewing as an intern. Realistically I wouldn't have any influence in the direction of the company until, like, 2025, and even then I'm sure if I pushed too far an ethical consideration they'd push me out of the company.

Also, to be perfectly fair to Palantir, I've only heard secondhand that some of their analytic tools are used (e.g. for drone strikes and such) with questionable ethics. But hearsay is often reductive and I kind of feel bad (bleep) talking a company based off that.
i see where you're coming from.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Damn!!! Ain't we already being stopped and frisked disproportionately? Laws being unequally applied and enforced. Give them a tool to preempt a crime, jails would be more overloaded then they are now. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: