ESPN: We are next Miami-like superteam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Quote:
33-34 year old LBJ is nothing like a prime LBJ.

No question about that, but old Bron is still so much better than any young PF we have unless next season Nance (our best PF) proves himself more than a great role player and Julius our young PF with more tools to be special proves he is better than old Bron.

There's a reason why guys like Battier had to play "PF" in Miami and why he insisted on KLove at PF when he joined the Cavs.

LBJ probably doesn't want the day to day banging/grinding that happens at PF. I can totally see him wanting someone like Jules who can switch onto perimeter players and grab rebounds. Now, it'll take a paycut to keep him so maybe that's where it's unrealistic.
dengman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
nash wrote:

If Randle plays better than LeBron next season

what?

I thought he was joking at first.

Comments like that should get you a lifetime ban #smh

nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
If Randle shows he can be at least a 18/10/5 guy with solid D, solid TS% and decent 3pt shooting (>30% from 3), you keep him over signing a 33-34 year old Lebron, especially when you can likely keep Randle while also signing both George/Cousins or George/Westbrook, or even re-signing Lopez/KCP over Lebron.

All-star Randle/Westbrook/George > George/Lebron
All-star Randle/Cousins/George > George/Lebron
All-star Randle/KCP/Lopez/George > George/Lebron

It would be one thing if Lebron was young, but he isn't. So, if Randle shows all-star talent, even if he's not as good as Lebron this second, you take longevity plus a another lower tier max guy (or KCP/Lopez) over a year or two of good Lebron. That Randle will be the better player in 3 years. We should prioritize something sustainable, not quick temporary fixes (especially without any real guarantee that the temporary fix will actually be a fix at all). Now, that said, the big IF in there is whether Randle can prove he can be that guy. It's fair to be skeptical about whether he can be.

As far as the article goes, its just another stupid and lazy ESPN article that any average NBA fan who graduated high school could write in their sleep. ESPN really is pathetic.

I agree.

The all-star Randle you described is Draymond Green, this is a player you want to keep, but you still need someone of LeBron caliber to compete. Green is the 4th offensive option at best, they have Curry and now Durant with Klay behind them taking most of the offensive load.

I love Ball and believe he is our most promising young player since Kobe, but I don't think he is one taking over games, he is the supreme catalyst.

I'm as high on Ingram as I can, but I look at him as Worthy, Pipen, Grant Hill in his prime, I don't think he is going to take Durant/Kobe/Jordan's role.

Draymond Green without superstars would not be so effective IMO.

Let's see what happens, I'd like Julius over LeBron if he can become a 24-10-5 player with great advanced stats and solid defense alongside the raw scoring/rebounding numbers.

Magic seems to be one thinking big, I enjoy his mindset.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

So all Randle has to do is become an All-Star, improve dramatically on his 3s and D. Gotcha.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Now I'm really worried if this is what BSPN thinks about the Lakers. I seriously am. I'd rather they just say the Lakers are garbage that no FAs want to come to like they always have.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Now I'm really worried if this is what BSPN thinks about the Lakers. I seriously am. I'd rather they just say the Lakers are garbage that no FAs want to come to like they always have.

I find BSPN actually pretty precise about our situation.

For a few seasons they are called haters while their prediction about our record is precise.

Their opinion about our young talent usually matches the stats.

When they say nobody wants to come here to play with A or B for any reason we didn't have to free agents coming.

If they are telling we are the next superteam I believe they are going to be right again

I'd like to see us passing Boston in NBA titles, winning is the goal.

Let's go Lakers

Last edited by nash on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I find BSPN actually pretty precise about our situation.

For a few seasons they are called haters while their prediction about our record is precise.

Their opinion about our young talent usually matches the stats.

When they say nobody want to come here to play with A or B for any reason we didn't have to free agents coming.

If they are telling we are the next superteam I believe they are going to be right again

I'd like to see us passing Boston in NBA titles, winning is the goal.

Let's go Lakers

If that's the case, then maybe I shouldn't call them BSPN anymore. Let's see if they're right about this prediction.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Don't want a Miami like Superteam.

I want a Warriors like Superteam, where our kids grow into stars and a homegrown championship contender and then sign a max free agent to add on to it and thus set us up for a 5-6 year run and Spurs-like consistency going forward.

Why can't we be a Lakers super team where we have a young crop of potential superstars and then add current superstars to them?

Sustainability while winning now.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

I really, really don't want LeBron in a Laker jersey.

I'd prefer Paul George and Cousins instead.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
33-34 year old LBJ is nothing like a prime LBJ.

I'd say that a prime Wade is easily better than PG13 now (and I LOVE PG13).

We have nothing close to Bosh, and a then-20 year old Ingram/Lonzo will not be close to what Bosh brought.

Then you have the additions they added through the years, Ray Allen, Battier, etc.

I don't think we're anywhere close to the 2011 HEAT.

Yes, Prime Wade is the 3rd or 4th best shooting guard of all time. Depends if you think Jerry West is better. PG13 won't be on any All-Time list except a "Pacers Only" one.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I want a Warriors like Superteam, where our kids grow into stars and a homegrown championship contender and then sign a max free agent to add on to it and thus set us up for a 5-6 year run and Spurs-like consistency going forward.
Cute...real freaking cute...Who the heck cares about our kids? It doesn't matter how we get there, as long as we get there!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

As much as it pains me to say it Id rather be an 04 Pistons type team.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
If Randle shows he can be at least a 18/10/5 guy with solid D, solid TS% and decent 3pt shooting (>30% from 3), you keep him over signing a 33-34 year old Lebron, especially when you can likely keep Randle while also signing both George/Cousins or George/Westbrook, or even re-signing Lopez/KCP over Lebron.

It would be one thing if Lebron was young, but he isn't. So, if Randle shows all-star talent, even if he's not as good as Lebron this second, you take longevity plus a another lower tier max guy (or KCP/Lopez) over a year or two of good Lebron. That Randle will be the better player in 3 years. We should prioritize something sustainable, not quick temporary fixes (especially without any real guarantee that the temporary fix will actually be a fix at all). Now, that said, the big IF in there is whether Randle can prove he can be that guy. It's fair to be skeptical about whether he can be.

As far as the article goes, its just another stupid and lazy ESPN article that any average NBA fan who graduated high school could write in their sleep. ESPN really is pathetic.

I agree.

The all-star Randle you described is Draymond Green, this is a player you want to keep, but you still need someone of LeBron caliber to compete. Green is the 4th offensive option at best, they have Curry and now Durant with Klay behind them taking most of the offensive load.

I love Ball and believe he is our most promising young player since Kobe, but I don't think he is one taking over games, he is the supreme catalyst.

I'm as high on Ingram as I can, but I look at him as Worthy, Pipen, Grant Hill in his prime, I don't think he is going to take Durant/Kobe/Jordan's role.

Let's see what happens, I'd like Julius over LeBron if he can become a 24-10-5 player with great advanced stats and solid defense alongside the raw scoring/rebounding numbers.

I would be beyond ecstatic if he had a Pippen-like career. Scottie is the most underrated superstar of all time. The guy was simply brilliant at both ends of the court and is what every contender needs.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

We are not getting extra medal if it's homegrown championship.

Chip is a chip, Miami's are no different then warriors
storm1324
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Paul George is not an Alpha dog, leader type. He is a solid 2nd star: as for Boogie Cousins' you will never win a title with him as your leader.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

storm1324 wrote:
Paul George is not an Alpha dog, leader type. He is a solid 2nd star: as for Boogie Cousins' you will never win a title with him as your leader.

We already have our leader.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Haha. Now everyone wants a superteam.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

We don't have a Wade under contract that stars want to play with.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

That's not winning you a chip though.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
trablos wrote:

That is somehow written in stone? It's an opinion.

There is just as much credence to the opinion that all-in building around a declining James in a highly competitive West does not win a chip either.

Just gives the Lakers a much more hyped but shorter timeline to win that chip and more likelihood to be in the tanking mode once the James Farewell Tour ends in 2020 or 2021 and he leaves the barren team as he typically does.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
trablos wrote:

Yeah they don't win in 04 if Malone is healthy.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

This whole I don't want LeBron thing is laughable. Guy could go down as the best to lace them up. We've been the doormat of the league for 4 years. We should kiss his feet if he decided to come here. Even at 34 he's worth whatever he wants. He's great now, he's got a game that should age gracefully and the league itself is playing into his hands as a perimeter 4. No brainer.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
nash wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I agree.

I would be beyond ecstatic if he had a Pippen-like career. Scottie is the most underrated superstar of all time. The guy was simply brilliant at both ends of the court and is what every contender needs.

He was good enough to make Chicago a playoff team without Jordan
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Vin wrote:
trablos wrote:

That is somehow written in stone? It's an opinion.

There is just as much credence to the opinion that all-in building around a declining James in a highly competitive West does not win a chip either.

Just gives the Lakers a much more hyped but shorter timeline to win that chip and more likelihood to be in the tanking mode once the James Farewell Tour ends in 2020 or 2021 and he leaves the barren team as he typically does.

I'am not saying getting James at 34 is winning you a chip either. But I know the 04 pistons aren't touching the 17, 18 warriors.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
The Heat were insanely top heavy. I mean they had guys who don't even play anymore like Chalmers and that one center whose name I forgot but its on the tip of my tongue errr fingers.

I don't think we have anyone on this roster that is Lebron like. If we become a great team, I think we end up doing it with great depth.

And another huge difference, assuming we keep Lonzo/ingram (we should), is that we would sort of be half competing/half building for the future.

The "half competing/half rebuilding" is where the logic of this plan escapes me.

James for 2-3 years is an all in high risk move. I do not believe he is signing with the Lakers to mentor or be the custodian of the future. He is all about James and his legacy. He wants to win now. There is no other reason to sign him otherwise.

If James is signed it only makes sense to go full speed ahead and surround him with vets ready to compete. All trades and salary dumps are fair game, including the "untouchables".

To "win now" they need players ready to win now. Not 20-21 year olds learning to be a pro. Timeline is simply wrong for this to work IMO. Five years ago, no issue. 2018 it is misguided but plays well in the media. Hell, even M. Barnes and ESPN are saying its awesome. What could go wrong!

The rhetoric and hype remind me of Pyramid schemes and 0 down / ARM loans. Too good to be true for a reason. Dismissing the downsides and high risk and getting caught up in the positive momentum.

this exactly. But we are not really in position to load a hypothetical Lebron+PG13 team with enough talent to really take on the Warriors. It worked for them because they were able to keep their home grown players on budget friendly contracts while they added Durant and then resign their stars with bird rights over the cap.
Even if we could somehow zero out our entire salary cap and then hand pick any player we wanted on our team at a few mil under current market value each, we would still run out of cap before we load the team with enough talent to be a favorite over the Warriors.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: