Lakers 8th seed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can the Lakers be the 8th seed this year?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 174 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 140 ]
Dont no
6%
 6%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 337

kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm optimistic. I believe in this FO and think they have one more trick up their sleeve. I really believe we can do it.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

We should be able to compete with anybody outside of the top 4. To say we have no chance at all of even an 8th seed is a little bit of a stretch IMO.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Why only the 8th? Why can't we be a 50 win team?

Go Gadget Go!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

What's making me upset is, why are Jazz and Clippers still getting respected as a playoff team even though they ended up losing there franchise players and we are still getting disrespected even though we have a marquee talent at the PG position and improvements at the C and SG, I guess that's why it's gonna be fun if we end up proving everyone wrong.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

What's making me upset is, why are Jazz and Clippers still getting respected as a playoff team even though they ended up losing there franchise players and we are still getting disrespected even though we have a marquee talent at the PG position and improvements at the C and SG, I guess that's why it's gonna be fun if we end up proving everyone wrong.

The Clippers still have Griffin and Jordan with highly regarded role players while the Jazz will have one of the top defenses in the league.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Who knows? For us to make the playoffs, a ton of things have to break our way -- and we won't have a sense of how many of those things are realistic until we see how all the young guys do when the real games start.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

The Clippers still have Griffin and Jordan with highly regarded role players while the Jazz will have one of the top defenses in the league.

But in theory, losing a franchise player is supposed to set a team back in a big way regardless of how well the talent is, when we lost Shaq, we still couldn't make the playoffs even though we had talented players, so well that might not mean much, any time a team loses its franchise player that team might end up feeling the sting of it.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

But in theory, losing a franchise player is supposed to set a team back in a big way regardless of how well the talent is, when we lost Shaq, we still couldn't make the playoffs even though we had talented players, so well that might not mean much, any time a team loses its franchise player that team might end up feeling the sting of it.

Both teams are expected to take a step back, just not to the extent where they have worse records than us.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Also, I wouldn't call that the 2004-05 team talented outside of Kobe and Odom.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

They still have All-Star or borderline All-Star talent. We don't.

So they will, and deservedly so, get the benefit of the doubt. Simple as that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

Even after the changes, the Clippers still have a couple of all stars, and the Jazz still have one of the best defenses in the league. We have a couple of one-year rentals and a rookie point guard who's never played a real game. Not sure why you're so bent out of shape about this
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Lopez will be raining 3's all over Utah, neutralizing Gobert's rim protection.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

I would be very surprised (and excited) if we could make the 8th seed. I just don't see it b/c we have so many young and inexperienced pieces. I do expect this team to win over 30 games, hopefully 35.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Go Gadget Go!

Both teams are expected to take a step back, just not to the extent where they have worse records than us.

I see no reason, why we couldn't end up being better then the Jazz and Clippers...
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Because the rest of us live in reality.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No, it's just that the last 4 years has been so horrid that it seems fantasy for us to win, but things change and this season might be special if all of the players buy in.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Also, I wouldn't call that the 2004-05 team talented outside of Kobe and Odom.

caron butler became an all star two seasons later.

also, that team was in contention for the 8th seed as late as mid march. 7th seed finished the season with 49 wins.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:
Warriors
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
Wolves
Pelicans
Blazers

Teams fighting for the last spot:
Nuggets
Clippers
Jazz
Lakers

Ultimately i think the Nuggets get the last spot ( If they put shooters around Mudiay i think he can thrive, also cant forget about Jokic) Lakers will finish 2 games behind. Unless; Bi averages 16, KCP 18, Randle 20, and Lopez 2. 8th spot fosho

A lot of people are saying that Nuggets have a better team than we have. somebody educate me on why that is true!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:
Warriors
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
Wolves
Pelicans
Blazers

Nuggets
Clippers
Jazz
Lakers

Ultimately i think the Nuggets get the last spot ( If they put shooters around Mudiay i think he can thrive, also cant forget about Jokic) Lakers will finish 2 games behind. Unless; Bi averages 16, KCP 18, Randle 20, and Lopez 2. 8th spot fosho

A lot of people are saying that Nuggets have a better team than we have. somebody educate me on why that is true!

Jokic. Could be a top 15 player by year's end. Millsap who is an all-star level PF, and they have Murray/Harris who are interesting combo guards.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Vegas has us at or better than 8 teams IIRC. Interesting. Could be giving away a pick in the 8-10 range to the 76ers if so.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No, it's just that the last 4 years has been so horrid that it seems fantasy for us to win, but things change and this season might be special if all of the players buy in.

Even if they all "buy in" there are at least 8 teams shed of us more talented with actually all star players. You guys place ridiculous expectations every year and and up being disappointed. Meanwhile I'm going to be glad with a 35 win seson with a modestly good rookie season from Ball while you'll be sad we didn't win 50 games and Ball didn't come out as the second coming of LeBron James right out of the gate.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-five-teams-that-could-surprise-next-season/amp/
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:
Warriors
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
Wolves
Pelicans
Blazers

Nuggets
Clippers
Jazz
Lakers

Portland was 41 - 41 and ,Denver was 40 - 42.

The major changes this summer were Millsap in and Galilinari out.

Nurkic was unhappy and was traded to Portland during the season.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I will stipulate that my overt optimism resides in a fantasy world if the cynics will counter my stipulation with the claim that their cynicism share that same world. Truth is, none of us can claim to know how this team will perform together this first year together. How we, as spectators, choose to conduct ourselves and share our perspective is generally immaterial.

I do believe in energy, momentum, and the power of fandom support. The game, as I've learned it, is about confidence, trust, and above all else, determination. I believe a home crowd has impact in that area. If I can feed into that optimism, our players will be more motivated to buy in and become the best team they can possibly be. Honestly, that's all I personally can hope for. The days of not being 💯 invested in every moment of every game should be over.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I will stipulate that my overt optimism resides in a fantasy world if the cynics will counter my stipulation with the claim that their cynicism share that same world. Truth is, none of us can claim to know how this team will perform together this first year together. How we, as spectators, choose to conduct ourselves and share our perspective is generally immaterial.

I do believe in energy, momentum, and the power of fandom support. The game, as I've learned it, is about confidence, trust, and above all else, determination. I believe a home crowd has impact in that area. If I can feed into that optimism, our players will be more motivated to buy in and become the best team they can possibly be. Honestly, that's all I personally can hope for. The days of not being 💯 invested in every moment of every game should be over.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 6 of 32
Jump to: