Lakers 8th seed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can the Lakers be the 8th seed this year?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 174 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 140 ]
Dont no
6%
 6%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 337

E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KCP D now is better then Rons, actually Artest had a huge fall off defensively once he left Indiana.... We finally have a guy who can lock down players when we are trying to win down the stretch.

We just need to see the team come together and the ride is gonna be EXCITING.

The days of point guards going off on the Lakers are over(some nights they will) If this team improves heavily on defense, especially the starting unit, they will make the playoffs.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The team can win anywhere from 35 wins to 55 wins

Some people don't actually realize it but the KCP signing was HUGE, we haven't had a real lock down defender since Cooper, Artest and Ariza were good D guys but KCP is a whole different animal.

That's one bold prediction, no ? If KCP is to surpass Coop as a defender for us, it would shock most of the world.

I'm still chuckling, but will agree that so far KCP at age 23 is a whole different animal than Coop but not in the way you suggest. In an era when players could affect a game's outcome by physicality, length and quickness, Coop earned eight NBA All defensive team nods, five of them as first team, and the first one at age 24. KCP will be 24 this February. The clock is running.

Tick, tick, tick, tick. .
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

I say no, but I think we will be on the cusp of it with winning 35-40 games. Look at all of the players who came out West this offseason. The West might be the most stacked that it has ever been.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

For us to make the 8th seed this season everything would have to go right. First and foremost no injuries. Then we would need the vets like KCP and Lopez to have near career seasons and the youngsters would need to make a big leap. Another variable that we would need is other potential Western playoff teams dropping off even though most of the teams in the West got better other than the Clippers.

It'll be an uphill battle but if we can start off hot and keep the momentum going staying at near .500 for most of the season we might be able to pull it off. Personally Id be happy with a 35 win season
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

No...just no.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

The question is 'can' the Lakers make the 8th seed. At this stage we can't say definitively that they can't aspire to an 8th seed. Training camp hasn't even started. We've no idea how this squad will gel, but it's clear Ball has unusual talent and court vision.

Do I think the Lakers will make the playoffs? No.

Can I say definitively the Lakers will absolutely beyond any shadow of doubt fail to make an 8th seed? No. Anyone who thinks they can has an exaggerated sense of omniscience.

So I answered yes. The chance may be small, but it isn't zero.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Where's the option for better than 8th seed? Do I pick "no" if I think they're going to get 5th-7th seed?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I have us around 30 wins. GS, HOU, SAS, OKC, CLE will probably sweep us in our season series.
MIN, MEM, TOR, WAS, LAC, POR, MIL will probably win their season series against us as well.
I can't see any way of us hitting 50 wins.
Even if we sweep bottom dwellers like BRK, PHI, NYK, ORL, PHX, CHI, IND, and DAL.
And win season series against teams like SAC, NOP, CHA, ATL and DET.
I don't know if a .500 record is possible. Let alone 50+ wins.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

Sure. Why not. A few injuries to a team or three and we are right there!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I have us around 30 wins. GS, HOU, SAS, OKC, CLE will probably sweep us in our season series.
MIN, MEM, TOR, WAS, LAC, POR, MIL will probably win their season series against us as well.
Even if we sweep bottom dwellers like BRK, PHI, NYK, ORL, PHX, CHI, IND, and DAL.

you my be right on the overall number, but it never works out with us losing and winning the games we should....last year we handled Houston and GSW early in the season, but was destroyed by fellow lottery team Dallas every time we played each other.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

you my be right on the overall number, but it never works out with us losing and winning the games we should....last year we handled Houston and GSW early in the season, but was destroyed by fellow lottery team Dallas every time we played each other.

That's True. Lead by fellow boricua JJBarea, the Lakers Destroyer, damm
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

The talent is there, but the experience is not (let alone stamina). It will take some time for all the players to get to know each other and for the rookies/sophomores to get up to speed, so I'm expecting another losing season, although not as bad as previous years.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

I'm kind of lit and I laughed so hard at "Don't No" for some reason
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

singlecamVTEC wrote:
Nope.

Yes, the team did get better, but so did the western conference as a whole.

Somewhat disagree. If CP3 stayed with the CLips and Hayward stayed with the Jazz, then yes, I would say it got tougher since the Wolves added Butler. But one team improved in the Wolves, and two teams got weaker, that helps us.

CP3 in Houston and PG13 in OKC are moot, since those were already playoff teams.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if we're good enough to make the playoffs but I'm just happy we have a functional roster that has fitting pieces. Last year we had 4 scoring guards trying to balance minutes, the two worst small forwards in the league (If Deng wasn't as bad as he was, we probably wouldn't have to throw Ingram into the fire like that), and Mozgov was a pretty bad fit also.

Lonzo- true point guard, sets up the offense
KCP- Can run the break and is a good defender
Ingram- He's probably going to be a nice scoring/defense combo
Randle- Can run the break, athletic and hopefully better then last year
Lopez- Probably our best half court scorer, can shoot the ball well

Then our bench is filled with younger players that play hard and have potential. It's going to be fun to watch a team where the players actually compliment each other, I don't know about the rest of you guys but I was miserable seeing Lou/Young chuck us into games that we'd end up losing anyways. Last year's team had one of the worst roster set ups I've ever seen in my life.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LakersChamps04"]the sure shots in the west are
spurs
thunder
rockets
warriors
wolves
blazers?

that leaves two spots.
nuggets
clippers
pelicans
jazz?

No way
It will be

spurs
thunder
rockets
warriors
wolves
Pelicans
Lakers
Blazers

Clips will have a injury
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I believe we can compete for the 8th seed. Roster makeup, talent and chemistry seems to be there, The air just feel different this year.

East sucks right now I hoping 19-22 wins. (30)

West is a monster.

Bad teams Dallas, Phoenix, Sac I'm hoping 7-9 wins (12)
Border Team LAC, Mem, NO, Utah, Port, Den, Min I'm hoping 12-14 wins (26)
Elite Team GS, SA, Hou, OKC I'm hoping 3-4 wins (14)

Hoping for 41 wins to 49 wins this year, depending on chemistry, growth, luck and schedule.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

theres always a chance but i doubt it. top 5 is a lock.

it'll probably be in this exact order:
1 gsw
2 hou
3 sas
4 min
5 okc

but i believe in brook avg over 20pts, and ingram, randle, and kcp averaging in the teens. so if we can keep the pace w/ lac, no, port, den, utah, mem w/ some perfect showtime basketball and defense, we have a chance at 8th. my guess, we battle for top 10 in the conference around 35 wins
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Can we get the 8th seed? - Yes
Will we get the 8th seed? - Probably not.

For me at least three factors have to come together:

1. Limit of injuries.

2. How quickly we gel.

3. If the addition of KCP and the maturation of BI, leads to an overall significantly improved team defense.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:
Nope.

Somewhat disagree. If CP3 stayed with the CLips and Hayward stayed with the Jazz, then yes, I would say it got tougher since the Wolves added Butler. But one team improved in the Wolves, and two teams got weaker, that helps us.

CP3 in Houston and PG13 in OKC are moot, since those were already playoff teams.

You're neglecting that even playoff teams getting stronger means they become more likely to beat us in the regular season. Meaning we're less likely to steal a game from OKC on a Nick Young 3 like last year.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Not happening unless part of the conference gets injured. Lonzo has
proven nothing yet in the NBA and people are banking on him, hopeful
and wishful; that's nice buttt very uncertain.

I have expectations around Pope, Lopez, Ingram and Randle
this season to help us win plus 10 games. As for Lonzo, I hope he
gets a good look at the NBA, has a relatively short learning curve and
can contribute on most nights; we'll see.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
singlecamVTEC wrote:
Nope.

You're neglecting that even playoff teams getting stronger means they become more likely to beat us in the regular season. Meaning we're less likely to steal a game from OKC on a Nick Young 3 like last year.

Well, that goes for every borderline team trying to make the playoffs. Tough all around = moot. The best chance for a team to make the playoffs is for talent to assimilate in one team instead of disbursed. I'd love for Damien Lillard to join the Rockets as well. LOL!

To me, we got two playoff teams who got weaker in the Clippers and the Jazz. One team improved in the Wolves. Not only that, we've improved. Regardless if they make it or not, their chance this year is greater than their chance last year.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I think people are underestimating the potential of this team.

Lonzo Ball will be an immediate high impact player. He doesn't depend on his strength, but rather his basketball IQ and passing, neither of which will take time to develop.

KCP is a big upgrade at the two and will give us the first strong defensive guard in years. His fast style of play will also mesh very well with Lonzo.

Ingram is ready for a big leap at SF, and Randle looks ready to take a leap at PF as well. Randle also is a very good match with Lopez, who can play the stretch five and thus give Randle space inside. Lopez overall will be a huge upgrade over Mozgov from last year.

Clarkson has been working hard in the off-season, as has Nance. Ennis finished the season strong and will pick up from there. Kuzma and Hart are both 22 years old and ready to contribute right away. I expect Kuzma to surprise a lot of people by continuing his hot play and hot shooting into the season.

Zubac looks like he regressed a bit, but I expect him to get back up to speed by the season opener. If he doesn't shine (or even if he does), Nance or Randle can also slide over to the five, giving more minutes to Kuzma (and, if needed, Deng.)

Luke will be in his second year of coaching with a lot of lessons learned from last year.

And most importantly, the team will have every incentive to win, and no incentive at all to lose. If they are close to a playoff spot, they will be fighting all out to make it.

This will be a fast, exciting, and gritty team that will win 40+ games and make the playoffs.

Last edited by markjay on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

What's are starting 5

Ball
kcp
Ingram
Lopez
Randle

That's a 8th seed in my OP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I think people are underestimating the potential of this team.

Lonzo Ball will be an immediate high impact player. He doesn't depend on his strength, but rather his basketball IQ and passing, neither of which will take time to develop.

KCP is a big upgrade at the two and will give us the first strong defensive guard in years. His fast style of play will also mesh very well with Lonzo.

Ingram is ready for a big leap at SF, and Randle looks ready to take a leap at PF as well. Randle also is a very good match with Lopez, who can play the stretch four and thus give Randle space inside. Lopez overall will be a huge upgrade over Mozgov from last year.

Clarkson has been working hard in the off-season, as has Nance. Ennis finished the season strong and will pick up from there. Kuzma and Hart are both 22 years old and ready to contribute right away. Ennis finished I expect Kuzma to surprise a lot of people by continuing his hot play and hot shooting into the season.

Zubac looks like he regressed a bit, but I expect him to get back up to speed by the season opener. If he doesn't shine (or even if he does), Nance or Randle can also slide over to the five, giving more minutes to Kuzma (and, if needed, Deng.)

Luke will be in his second year of coaching with a lot of lessons learned from last year.

And most importantly, the team will have every incentive to win, and no incentive at all to lose. If they are close to a playoff spot, they will be fighting all out to make it.

This will be a fast, exciting, and gritty team that will win 40+ games and make the playoffs.

Great post, should be a fun ride in the next 5-7 years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32
Jump to: