Lakers 8th seed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can the Lakers be the 8th seed this year?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 107 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 80 ]
Dont no
6%
 6%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 199

Author Message
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Dec 2005
Posts: 2764

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

First season they at least have a shot but really I hope to see a reasonable year where the front office decides not to go with Lebron in the off season. Father Time is undefeated and Lakers have 3 good young PFs which is where Lebron would have to play. Cousins and PG make more sense to me
_________________
How can I get a copy of a Laker game played on Sunday, March 11, 2001 Sonics/Lakers? If you know PM me please

I would be willing to pay you for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 299

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:

romeo wrote:
theres always a chance but i doubt it. top 5 is a lock.

it'll probably be in this exact order:
1 gsw
2 hou
3 sas
4 min
5 okc

but i believe in brook avg over 20pts, and ingram, randle, and kcp averaging in the teens. so if we can keep the pace w/ lac, no, port, den, utah, mem w/ some perfect showtime basketball and defense, we have a chance at 8th. my guess, we battle for top 10 in the conference around 35 wins


If Westbrook goes down OKC is toast. PG13 can't carry those bums on his own. The rest of that team is garbage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 2130
Location: Far from home

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject:

I voted 'yes' because, well, there is some very remote chance to make the playoffs (oh, say less much than one chance in ten tries.) Chances are bad to make the playoffs.

There's a lot of pieces on this team who could play better than last year, both individually and together. So that possibility bodes well for improvement. But several players specifically MUST raise their game as defenders and as shooters if the Lakers are to finish the season as a .500 team next Spring. There's just too many pieces which must all align to perfection to pull off a playoff gig.

The usual NBA bogeymen of risk don't just vaporize because we want them to: injury to a key player or two, team defense is the toughest thing to improve quickly, and of course, the pattern of rookies whose college game don't immediately transfer to NBA proficiency is hard to buck.

Fingers crossed.
_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Theodore Roosevelt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Nov 2009
Posts: 2105

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

If there are no major injuries they should be fighting for a playoff seed near the end of the season. I think all the key players (Randle, Clarkson, Ingram) will have a good to great season. Ball's passing of course will help a lot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2931
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
The Lakers will win between 30-35 games next year IMO. That's not enough to get into the playoffs.

NBA radio XM


which show?


NBA jump
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2931
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
First season they at least have a shot but really I hope to see a reasonable year where the front office decides not to go with Lebron in the off season. Father Time is undefeated and Lakers have 3 good young PFs which is where Lebron would have to play. Cousins and PG make more sense to me


Agree with you on No Bron but disagree in getting cousins.

I'm hoping we can get George and maybe WB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 16506
Location: La Jolla, San Diego

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
First season they at least have a shot but really I hope to see a reasonable year where the front office decides not to go with Lebron in the off season. Father Time is undefeated and Lakers have 3 good young PFs which is where Lebron would have to play. Cousins and PG make more sense to me


It's tricky thinking that way. Hall-famers last longer than regular all-stars such as Paul George. So you're thinking all else being equal, PG13 is 6 yrs younger than Lebron. But all else isn't equal. Lebron at 38 most likely will still be better than PG13 at 32.

Regular all-stars, their time is in their mid-twenties. Legends go deep into their 30's like MJ, Kobe, Lebron. PG13 isn't going deep into his 30's. His game will drop off sooner.
_________________
"They are in the West! You must go D'Angelo Russell here, or my head will explode!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 11328
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

1. GS
2. Hou
3. OKC
4. SA
5. Minnie
6. Pelicans
7. Lakers
8. Memphis

That's how I see it playing out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2931
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
1. GS
2. Hou
3. OKC
4. SA
5. Minnie
6. Pelicans
7. Lakers
8. Memphis

That's how I see it playing out.


This looks right to me

Someone needs to make a prediction thread for the playoff seeds

Winner gets a double double in and out burger with Bacon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 2130
Location: Far from home

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

With bacon ?

You've not been to In-n-Out ?
_________________
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Theodore Roosevelt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 1203

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

No as they are too young. There is also many news players. West teams also improve a lot compare to last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 11328
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
No as they are too young. There is also many news players. West teams also improve a lot compare to last season.


Seriously?

I know the West is tough but here are the teams who will likely take a step back or are in position to stay at the same level.

Clippers
Grizzlies
Blazers
Jazz

Here are the teams who slightly Improved:

Pelicans
Nuggets

Tell me why it's so hard to imagine the Lakers competing in the WC? Is it because the last 4 years was so bad that it's hard to imagine the Lakers competing ever again? honestly there is like 6-8 teams I would pick the Lakers over any of those 8 teams.

The Lakers are coming and they are gonna own the league very soon with the arrival of LeBron James.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DanielKetch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 Jun 2017
Posts: 308

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
I'm not sure if we're good enough to make the playoffs but I'm just happy we have a functional roster that has fitting pieces. Last year we had 4 scoring guards trying to balance minutes, the two worst small forwards in the league (If Deng wasn't as bad as he was, we probably wouldn't have to throw Ingram into the fire like that), and Mozgov was a pretty bad fit also.

Lonzo- true point guard, sets up the offense
KCP- Can run the break and is a good defender
Ingram- He's probably going to be a nice scoring/defense combo
Randle- Can run the break, athletic and hopefully better then last year
Lopez- Probably our best half court scorer, can shoot the ball well

Then our bench is filled with younger players that play hard and have potential. It's going to be fun to watch a team where the players actually compliment each other, I don't know about the rest of you guys but I was miserable seeing Lou/Young chuck us into games that we'd end up losing anyways. Last year's team had one of the worst roster set ups I've ever seen in my life.


Yup, everyone was complaining bc we lost our 3 leading scorers (Swaggy, DLO, Lou) but those 3 got the bulk of their points on ISO plays and chucking shots... We will undoubtedly be a better team. We will run a more fluid offense and score easier on the break. Players will step up. Leading scorers will be likely BI, Lopez and KCP IMO... but maybe Randle, Clarkson, Kuzma or even Lonzo will be in the top 3. I look for several nights of balanced scoring with 5-6 players in double digits.... Most importantly, we will hopefully play better team defense with some of the pieces we added.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RJ_LA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
First season they at least have a shot but really I hope to see a reasonable year where the front office decides not to go with Lebron in the off season. Father Time is undefeated and Lakers have 3 good young PFs which is where Lebron would have to play. Cousins and PG make more sense to me


It's tricky thinking that way. Hall-famers last longer than regular all-stars such as Paul George. So you're thinking all else being equal, PG13 is 6 yrs younger than Lebron. But all else isn't equal. Lebron at 38 most likely will still be better than PG13 at 32.

Regular all-stars, their time is in their mid-twenties. Legends go deep into their 30's like MJ, Kobe, Lebron. PG13 isn't going deep into his 30's. His game will drop off sooner.


That's some strange logic. PG13s game won't drop off sooner because he's a "regular all-star". If he stays healthy and injury free for the rest of his career, he'll be a great player into his mid 30s. He might even close the gap on Lebron because Lebron relies on his uber elite athleticism more than PG13 does his "regular" athleticism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sonic the laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 579

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Will the Lakers get the 8th seed? Unfortunately, I can't see into the future, but, I do believe they CAN get the 8th seed...at least.

As I'm sure other posters have stated, the West is indeed still stacked, but it honestly hasn't gotten as strong...top to bottom...as some would have you believe.

1. Hayward left the Jazz, to go East.

2. CP3 went from one playoff team, to another playoff team. Rockets got better, but Clippers got worse.

3.Grizzlies lost some veteran depth, to Sacramento, which slightly weakened them, but Sacramento didn't get significantly stronger.

4. GSW kept their team intact.

5. Spurs got a nice addition, in Rudy Gay, to replace Simmons. Brought back Ginobli

Teams projected to secure playoffs spots in West; top tier (no order):

1. GSW
2. Spurs
3. Rockets

Teams strongly believed to earn a playoff spot; second tier (no order):

4. Blazers
5. Timberwolves

Teams I expect to battle for the last 3 spots; (no order):

6. Nuggets
7. Grizzlies
8. Lakers
9. Pelicans
9. Clippers

Jazz lost too much in Hayward, and I doubt that a combination of Hood, Exum, and Joe Johnson, makes up for the loss. They took a major step back.

Clippers tried to recover from losing CP3 with Gallinari, Beverly, and Teodosic. But, right now, I just can't see it. Especially when you add they lost more offense in Reddick, and Crawford; defense, in Mbou a Moute.


ZOOM!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ValleyLakeshowLover
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Will the Lakers get the 8th seed? Unfortunately, I can't see into the future, but, I do believe they CAN get the 8th seed...at least.

As I'm sure other posters have stated, the West is indeed still stacked, but it honestly hasn't gotten as strong...top to bottom...as some would have you believe.

1. Hayward left the Jazz, to go East.

2. CP3 went from one playoff team, to another playoff team. Rockets got better, but Clippers got worse.

3.Grizzlies lost some veteran depth, to Sacramento, which slightly weakened them, but Sacramento didn't get significantly stronger.

4. GSW kept their team intact.

5. Spurs got a nice addition, in Rudy Gay, to replace Simmons. Brought back Ginobli

Teams projected to secure playoffs spots in West; top tier (no order):

1. GSW
2. Spurs
3. Rockets

Teams strongly believed to earn a playoff spot; second tier (no order):

4. Blazers
5. Timberwolves

Teams I expect to battle for the last 3 spots; (no order):

6. Nuggets
7. Grizzlies
8. Lakers
9. Pelicans
9. Clippers

Jazz lost too much in Hayward, and I doubt that a combination of Hood, Exum, and Joe Johnson, makes up for the loss. They took a major step back.

Clippers tried to recover from losing CP3 with Gallinari, Beverly, and Teodosic. But, right now, I just can't see it. Especially when you add they lost more offense in Reddick, and Crawford; defense, in Mbou a Moute.


ZOOM!!!!!!!!


That would would be very plausible... If the OKC Thunder moved to the Eastern Conference.

Unfortunately, they're still in the West, so that would bump the Lakers down to #9 in your scenario. Which would be a pretty dang good in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sonic the laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Oct 2013
Posts: 579

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:

ValleyLakeshowLover wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Will the Lakers get the 8th seed? Unfortunately, I can't see into the future, but, I do believe they CAN get the 8th seed...at least.

As I'm sure other posters have stated, the West is indeed still stacked, but it honestly hasn't gotten as strong...top to bottom...as some would have you believe.

1. Hayward left the Jazz, to go East.

2. CP3 went from one playoff team, to another playoff team. Rockets got better, but Clippers got worse.

3.Grizzlies lost some veteran depth, to Sacramento, which slightly weakened them, but Sacramento didn't get significantly stronger.

4. GSW kept their team intact.

5. Spurs got a nice addition, in Rudy Gay, to replace Simmons. Brought back Ginobli

Teams projected to secure playoffs spots in West; top tier (no order):

1. GSW
2. Spurs
3. Rockets

Teams strongly believed to earn a playoff spot; second tier (no order):

4. Blazers
5. Timberwolves

Teams I expect to battle for the last 3 spots; (no order):

6. Nuggets
7. Grizzlies
8. Lakers
9. Pelicans
9. Clippers

Jazz lost too much in Hayward, and I doubt that a combination of Hood, Exum, and Joe Johnson, makes up for the loss. They took a major step back.

Clippers tried to recover from losing CP3 with Gallinari, Beverly, and Teodosic. But, right now, I just can't see it. Especially when you add they lost more offense in Reddick, and Crawford; defense, in Mbou a Moute.


ZOOM!!!!!!!!


That would would be very plausible... If the OKC Thunder moved to the Eastern Conference.

Unfortunately, they're still in the West, so that would bump the Lakers down to #9 in your scenario. Which would be a pretty dang good in my opinion.



Ah yes, thank you for reminding me. I felt like I was forgetting something. Indeed, the Thunder are considered a "lock team" for the plauoffs. Also, forgot to mention that the Nuggets did pick up Millsap, which helps them, but doesn't "propel" them, imo. So, that would leave 2 spots up for grabs. Definitely a tighter race, but still possible.


ZOOM!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 16506
Location: La Jolla, San Diego

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:
First season they at least have a shot but really I hope to see a reasonable year where the front office decides not to go with Lebron in the off season. Father Time is undefeated and Lakers have 3 good young PFs which is where Lebron would have to play. Cousins and PG make more sense to me


It's tricky thinking that way. Hall-famers last longer than regular all-stars such as Paul George. So you're thinking all else being equal, PG13 is 6 yrs younger than Lebron. But all else isn't equal. Lebron at 38 most likely will still be better than PG13 at 32.

Regular all-stars, their time is in their mid-twenties. Legends go deep into their 30's like MJ, Kobe, Lebron. PG13 isn't going deep into his 30's. His game will drop off sooner.


That's some strange logic. PG13s game won't drop off sooner because he's a "regular all-star". If he stays healthy and injury free for the rest of his career, he'll be a great player into his mid 30s. He might even close the gap on Lebron because Lebron relies on his uber elite athleticism more than PG13 does his "regular" athleticism.


Maybe it is. LOL! My articulation isn't the greatest. To rephrase it, lets say it's a pattern I've noticed, not a real formula. So I'm talking in terms of chances, probability. Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Eddie Jones, Tracy McGrady (health), Steve Francis, Baron Davis (health), Grant Hill (health), Clyde Drexler, Allen Iverson, Glen Rice, the list goes on. These are some of the names who did not dominate well into their 30's. They may have hung around and been serviceable, but they did not dominate.

In the past 30 years, I can't think of a wing player that dominated well into his 30's other than MJ and Kobe, and now Lebron is on his way. What is the indication or common denominator? These 3 are Hall of Fame all time greats. Not just a regular all-star of their time, but of ALL-TIME. PG13 is not an all-time player. When it's all said and done, there will be no distinction between him and some of the players I listed in the above paragraph.

This is evident in other positions as well. Take Karl Malone and Blake Griffin. Both are rock solid built to play power forward. One is an all time great who dominated into his 30's and even won MVP at 34/35. Can you really picture Blake doing his thing in his 30's? Chances are, Blake will go the path of Shawn Kemp. Amare Stoudemire was awesome, right? All-time? Nope. Therefore, did not dominate into his 30's. Duncan, all-time. Oh yes, dominated into his 30's, hung around in late 30's and even turned 40 before retiring.

If people don't know it by now, it's not an easy thing to play at a high level into your 30's, and usually it's only the all-time greats who do it. So going back to my original statement... you cannot choose PG13 over Lebron simply because of age because again, all else ISN'T EQUAL.
_________________
"They are in the West! You must go D'Angelo Russell here, or my head will explode!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 2279

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

Pelton has the lakers at 33 wins...

Quote:

13. Los Angeles Lakers
Projected wins: 33.0

Baby steps for the Lakers, as they move back toward competitiveness after the worst four-year stretch in franchise history. With the additions of No. 2 pick Lonzo Ball, guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and center Brook Lopez, RPM projects the Lakers to improve nearly to league average on offense. They still look like one of the NBA's worst defenses (28th).


+7 game improvement is not unreasonable but +10 or more would be pretty exciting.

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20225286/projected-records-win-totals-standings-every-nba-team-2017-18-season

Clippers and Jazz are too high imo but we will see what happens.


Last edited by LakerSD on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 26242

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Pelton has the lakers at 33 wins...

Quote:

13. Los Angeles Lakers
Projected wins: 33.0

Baby steps for the Lakers, as they move back toward competitiveness after the worst four-year stretch in franchise history. With the additions of No. 2 pick Lonzo Ball, guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and center Brook Lopez, RPM projects the Lakers to improve nearly to league average on offense. They still look like one of the NBA's worst defenses (28th).


+7 game improvement is not unreasonable but +10 or more would be pretty pretty exciting.

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20225286/projected-records-win-totals-standings-every-nba-team-2017-18-season

Clippers and Jazz are too high imo but we will see what happens.


Headed in the right direction.
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2931
Location: Oceanside Ca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
With bacon ?

You've not been to In-n-Out ?


You don't know about the secret "pigy request"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8278
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I didn't see a "NFW" box, so I voted "No"...

Lot of people voting based on Hope (over Logic)...
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 1527

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
KCP D now is better then Rons, actually Artest had a huge fall off defensively once he left Indiana.... We finally have a guy who can lock down players when we are trying to win down the stretch.

We just need to see the team come together and the ride is gonna be EXCITING.


MWP is a much better defender than KCP. I like KCP but 2010 Artest was good and slowed down a young but explosive Kevin Durant.
_________________
Starting Lineup:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 3228

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I see us winning in the 30s and there are too many teams in the west with multiple all-star level players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 26242

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
I see us winning in the 30s and there are too many teams in the west with multiple all-star level players.


Yep & 30-35 wins won't get us in the playoffs but would be a solid step in the right direction.
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB