Favorite HBO Show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Show is slow... It's 70% detectives . Like, that's aite, but I was expecting more street plays from the top guys.. more street stuff period.
The homeless druggee is maybe the most featured character outside of the detectives

70% detectives..20% street guys who deal with the same problems show after show, no interesting plays.. 10% homeless drugeee

It unfolds like a typical cop show, but instead of new street characters every show , they stick around
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Show is slow... It's 70% detectives . Like, that's aite, but I was expecting more street plays from the top guys.. more street stuff period.
The homeless druggee is maybe the most featured character outside of the detectives

70% detectives..20% street guys who deal with the same problems show after show, no interesting plays.. 10% homeless drugeee

It unfolds like a typical cop show, but instead of new street characters every show , they stick around

>the wire
>typical cop show

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
1. Game of Thrones
2. The Wire
3. Veep
4. Eastbound & Down
5. Deadwood
6. True Detective S1
7. Waterworld
8. Boardwalk Empire S1-3
9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
10. Westworld
11. Silicon Valley
12. Rome
13. Oz
14. The Larry Sanders Show
15. Arli$$
16. Big Love

Not sure if it's just limited to series, but they had a lot of quality mini-series (Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific, etc)

I'm glad someone mentioned Arli$$. I loved that show, and the episode that is centered around fantasy baseball from Season 1 ("The Client's Best Interest") is one of my favorite episodes from any comedy series ever. It's right before the trade deadline, and Arliss becomes hell-bent on trading his premier pitching client, Ned Bastille, to the Brewers (then in the AL), instead of to the Braves or another NL club...just to have a better chance to win his fantasy league. (Because players that switched leagues were "dead", and it should be noted that any team that was trading for Ned wanted to sign him to an immediate contract extension.) As Arliss is trying to convince him to accept a trade to the Brewers, Ned asks "what about the Braves?", and Arliss huffs "like they need pitching." Anyone who remembers the Atlanta pitching staff in the 1990's would appreciate that.

Anyway, I loved that show, so much so that my longtime fantasy football league with my buddies was re-named "The Arliss Michaels League."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject:

I have 4 other HBO shows that nobody has mentioned yet:

Tales From The Crypt (from Danny Elfman's theme music to the frank nature of the content, which was unusual for a network series that ran from '89-96, this campy horror anthology series is well worth a look)
In Treatment (Season 1 is great, and it's some of Gabriel Byrne's finest work as an actor)
Sex And The City ("The Golden Girls" is my favorite comedy series ever, and this is essentially the R-rated version of that show with women in their 30's/40's instead of older women)
The Newsroom (my favorite work from Jeff Daniels, easily)
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I have 4 other HBO shows that nobody has mentioned yet:

Tales From The Crypt

Thanks for the reminder. Forgot to add this to my list. This had some of the best special effects of any show I've ever seen.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

How could I leave that out. loved it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
adkindo wrote:

(Note: Never watched The Wire, which is why it is not on list)

(bleep) cancel everything you're doing for the next 3 days and watch it. It's one of the most transformative pieces of art in existence.

*puts contrarian pants on*
I'm watching it for the first time now and I'm super disappointed. I'm just guessing it didn't age well... benefited from a mediocre time in TV (it's the golden age right now)

Season one was good, like a "B" grade.
Season 2 was centered around stupid young white boys and their uncle at the dock.. and it was pretty slow
I'm on ep. 6 in season 3 and this is the slowest season of all..
the show is like 75% centered around the detectives and their lives... ain't no surprise murders in this show.. ain't nothin surprising so far pretty much
The show's most interesting character Omar, isn't featured enough.
Season 1 was good, it was raw and eye opening... but 2 and 3, not above average.

They don't even allow this pace of a show to take place today... I think the Sapranos is way better , even though I identify and am interested in The Wire's culture more

This show is the 1950s, one handed head down, dribbling basketball stars of shows.. did not age well. Slow as hellll

*scurries away*

The wire is a complete and ridiculously carefully crafted meditation on the decline of America as seen through the lens of a single city. It explores crime, law enforcement, politics, industry, the media, schools, and how all of it inertwines, and bow the folks in each strata and milieu are really no different from each other (thus making potent race and class statements). That its moral centers are both homosexual and black (or biracial in the case of Kima), and one is a stickup man, is both highly unusual and also important in multiple ways.

Even the smallest character is precisely written and cast, and every bit of it has something to say, something powerful and even more relevant in our current economic, racial, and political climate.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

11.) Autopsy

Haha. Kinda forgotten over the years, but a groundbreaking series. Forerunner of everything forensic and realism-medical ever since. Morbid and disturbing, but it basically showed pros doin work, so oddly enough it was also a "profession show" forerunner of sorts. Baden had a good take on the OJ murders likelier being a 2-man job.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Nobody else liked Dream On?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

(bleep) cancel everything you're doing for the next 3 days and watch it. It's one of the most transformative pieces of art in existence.

I stopped watching it about the first 3-4 epis in. I decided to reshelf it for later, but it reminded me too much of work. I just finally got around to starting Mad Men this week. I've got a Netflix ep paused rite now aamof. I decided to wait til the series was over before I jumped in and I went ahead and screwed up by watching a couple of Season 3 epis on telly. Now I'm watching it from 2 places, Season 1 and now I'm on 4:1 on TV. I'm trying my best to meet at the center. Like the goombas said to Chrissy, he keeps up the tradition of doing things ass backwards. Very engrossing show, tho not HBO. Attention to detail is good, like all the 60s anachronisms like the old churchkey beer cans and smoking while pregnant. Their culture and pop culture eye is very keen. Almost a glorified soap opera, even has one dude from General Hospital, but still manages to hit both male and female demos (which is why Sops was such a hit, relationship storylines imbedded in every other thing). I have Sops as my #1. You watch Mad Men and see the Sopranos in it. God knows how many more good shows that series will continue to influence stylistically before it becomes formulaic (if ever).
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I'm watching it for the first time now and I'm super disappointed. I'm just guessing it didn't age well... benefited from a mediocre time in TV (it's the golden age right now)

Season 2 was centered around stupid young white boys and their uncle at the dock.. and it was pretty slow
the show is like 75% centered around the detectives and their lives... ain't no surprise murders in this show.. ain't nothin surprising so far pretty much
Season 1 was good, it was raw and eye opening... but 2 and 3, not above average.

They don't even allow this pace of a show to take place today... I think the Sapranos is way better , even though I identify and am interested in The Wire's culture more

This show is the 1950s, one handed head down, dribbling basketball stars of shows.. did not age well. Slow as hellll

*scurries away*

The wire is a complete and ridiculously carefully crafted meditation on the decline of America as seen through the lens of a single city. It explores crime, law enforcement, politics, industry, the media, schools, and how all of it inertwines, and bow the folks in each strata and milieu are really no different from each other (thus making potent race and class statements). That its moral centers are both homosexual and black (or biracial in the case of Kima), and one is a stickup man, is both highly unusual and also important in multiple ways.

Even the smallest character is precisely written and cast, and every bit of it has something to say, something powerful and even more relevant in our current economic, racial, and political climate.

'The Wire' has aged better than any other show I've ever seen. Because it is as much a period piece (the evolution of technology plays an important and intriguing role) as anything. While being of a certain period, it is more prominently a show that explores the universal issues of institutional decay, corruption, and systemic failures.

However, 'The Wire' is not a show for everyone. It is incredibly dense.

Anybody who describes the show as "75% centered around detectives" or explains Season 2 as a season about "stupid young white boys" hasn't even passed the first narrative gate. 'The Wire' is complex and not everybody is willing or able to explore its many layers.

FYI - 'The Wire' was conceived by a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, David Simon. It is also one of the only shows, if not the only, to ever be nearly fully realized before it even began. For comparison, 'Breaking Bad' opened Season 5 with Walter purchasing a massing piece of artillery and Vince Gilligan had no idea how they'd incorporate the weapon into the show...just that he wanted to incorporate it. 'Breaking Bad' also infamously was going to kill off Jesse Pinkman before seeing his character's potential. 'The Wire' is simply in its own league as far as conceptualization and execution.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

How could I leave that out. loved it.

yeah, forgot about that one also!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Those are things only people who watched entire series and witnessed the changing focus every season could appreciate. If you just watch season 1, which does focus heavily on drugs and crime, you're really only scratching the surface.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

"The game is rigged."
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

1st and 10 fans not here representing? OJ! And the guy who played Tom Yinessa became an outspoken former Scientologist.

For new school HBO, Sopranos and Curb at the top for me.

Old school, Tales From the Crypt and The Hitchhiker.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
Nobody else liked Dream On?

That's a good call, I missed that one on my list! It aired at just about the same time that Tales From The Crypt did ('90-96 in this case), and it was also pretty graphic with the content for a network TV series at the time (sexual situations, nudity, profanity). Brian Benben as Martin Tupper was excellent. We saw Wendie Malick before her Just Shoot Me and Hot In Cleveland days, and Dorien Wilson before his Professor Oglevee days (The Parkers). I also liked how they would splice in the clips from old TV shows.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I always forget that Mayor Carcetti/Littlefinger has been on 2 of the top tv shows of all time. Good for him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
adkindo wrote:

*scurries away*

'The Wire' has aged better than any other show I've ever seen. Because it is as much a period piece (the evolution of technology plays an important and intriguing role) as anything. While being of a certain period, it is more prominently a show that explores the universal issues of institutional decay, corruption, and systemic failures.

However, 'The Wire' is not a show for everyone. It is incredibly dense.

Anybody who describes the show as "75% centered around detectives" or explains Season 2 as a season about "stupid young white boys" hasn't even passed the first narrative gate. 'The Wire' is complex and not everybody is willing or able to explore its many layers.

FYI - 'The Wire' was conceived by a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, David Simon. It is also one of the only shows, if not the only, to ever be nearly fully realized before it even began. For comparison, 'Breaking Bad' opened Season 5 with Walter purchasing a massing piece of artillery and Vince Gilligan had no idea how they'd incorporate the weapon into the show...just that he wanted to incorporate it. 'Breaking Bad' also infamously was going to kill off Jesse Pinkman before seeing his character's potential. 'The Wire' is simply in its own league as far as conceptualization and execution.

Oh please.. Because adaptation and spontaneity are lamentable - that creativity is actually what The Wire doesn't score highly on.

I respect very much, the content of the show, it's basis.. It's obviously cool to see that on a TV screen. But, the show is pigeonholed to how realistic it is (aside from Omar not getting murked)

The show gives you 15minutes of street stuff each episode.. And it's usually repetitive stuff, because that's realistic - corner boys stand on the block every day - usually have beef that doesn't come to a head for 5 episodes or a whole season...Even though I am invested in the characters, that's not riveting. That's slow paced.
The only thing that makes the show "complex and layered" is the sheer amount of characters to get invested in - the storylines are straightforward, mechanical - and would be more emotionally invoking if the show wasn't paced like a snail.

Regarding season 2, I don't want to see that much of a season, revolving around a crazy "little man syndrome" immature white boy, doing unrealistic wild things.

Season 1 was good, but season 2s pseudo-antagonists at the docks, were stupid IMO - and the office scenes increased.
There is very little action in this show - the rare intense dialogue between street characters, has quick bookends(because order of command is respected), they lead to no riveting crescendo, no coup's.

*Spoiler* I agree with LG's Omar, that D'angelo's death was Shakespearean, emotionally invoking, and well done. Michael B Jordan's death as well. But, D'angelo's storyline wasn't replaced with anything close to as emotionally invoking, or groundbreaking -- the character's became mechanical, and got more screen-time.
Season 2 and 3 are slow, and not emotionally invoking, and obviously not riveting, because nobody claims the show to be riveting.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
For comparison, 'Breaking Bad' opened Season 5 with Walter purchasing a massing piece of artillery and Vince Gilligan had no idea how they'd incorporate the weapon into the show...just that he wanted to incorporate it. 'Breaking Bad' also infamously was going to kill off Jesse Pinkman before seeing his character's potential. 'The Wire' is simply in its own league as far as conceptualization and execution.

Yep. BB was definitely a show that was constantly evolving. Which is great. It was envisioned one way, and as things started to come together, it changed to make the most of the way it unfolded. Gilligan et al embraced the strength of what they had created and looked constantly to expound upon it and see how far they could get it.

As an Editor, I can tell you that every show, no matter how much one wants to think it is preconceived, is a work in progress. Episodes have multiple rewrites. Scenes get cut. Scenes get added. Scenes get moved to different episodes. Episodes get restructured. Just because Gilligan has been very open about his process, it doesn't mean that BB is any different than anything else in that regard, or any worse for it.

But you know what? For all your "threw it together" examples, Breaking Bad also had a magnificent collection of artisans on every level. There are countless examples of deep and intricate planning that lead to amazing choices about color palates which gave clues to the mood and direction of the various characters. There were gorgeous shots that tied the landscape into the story in a John Fordesque way. There were referential tie ins and foreshadowing that were brilliant.

Just because something was written as an organic piece doesn't diminish it's quality. Because the BB team realized they had something that became bigger and different than what it was when they started, it became hands down one of the best television series ever.

The Wire was no doubt brilliant in it's writing and vision. But BB was a much more colorful and deeper palette as an overall project, visually, structurally and mentally.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Forgot generation kill and band of brothers. Two great wartime series.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Band of Brothers. What a great mini series. I happened upon it one night 17 or so years ago, didn't know anyhing about it. Absolutely riveting. I night the DVD box set !
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

nobody was a fan of Real Sex?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Don't forget Pacific. They were all great, but were mini-series.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
nobody was a fan of Real Sex?

Taxi Cab Confessions!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Deadwood
Curb
Wire
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: