Byron Scott says he has retired from coaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 4778

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire
_________________
Now Playing: The Zo Show @Staples
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17369

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire


Was he a Jim/Mitch hire? Reeks of Jeanie actually.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 1232

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.
_________________
Ball Pope Ingram Nance Lopez
Ennis Clarkson Hart Kuzma Randle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 9848
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.


Truth
_________________
🎶 ...then I saw his game...now I'm a
Ball-liever...🎶
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 5065

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

That's like saying I retired from golfing. If you're (bleep) at it to begin with, you can't even say you REALLY did it. Ain't no retirement for that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 4778

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire


Was he a Jim/Mitch hire? Reeks of Jeanie actually.

On what basis?
_________________
Now Playing: The Zo Show @Staples
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 80289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Because everything good is one party and everything bad is another party.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1ngr4m
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 4560

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.
_________________
Did Jordan Clarkson think Metta's 3 at the end was going in? "I don't know. He was shaking like a stripper in the corner."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 1232

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.


haha I know he was in that game... but I don't remember him in that game lol
_________________
Ball Pope Ingram Nance Lopez
Ennis Clarkson Hart Kuzma Randle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 4185
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Bye Felicia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 1679

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 28932
Location: Torrance

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Another thing...I hope someday soon places like ESPN will stop hiring old NBAers to provide commentary or insight on a game that has passed them by. Increasingly annoying to listen to.


Truth


People love to see a familiar face. Basically the whole reason Byron was hired.
_________________
Smash-mouth basketball - Officially Dead (2014-2017)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 11164

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott didn't retire from coaching. Coaching retired from Byron Scott.
_________________
"You can't scream TANK all year and then cry when free agents don't want to sit down with you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17369

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire


Was he a Jim/Mitch hire? Reeks of Jeanie actually.

On what basis?


On the basis that he is an ex-Laker and the fact Mitch/Jim interviewed him 3 times which I believe is unusual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8165
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I thought I read where Byron told Mitch and Jimbo to sign MozGoof and Dang,

Might as well blame that on him too...
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 4778

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire


Was he a Jim/Mitch hire? Reeks of Jeanie actually.

On what basis?


On the basis that he is an ex-Laker and the fact Mitch/Jim interviewed him 3 times which I believe is unusual.


tells me more about those 2 guys then it tells me anything about jeanie.

but hey, please continue the jeanie hate
_________________
Now Playing: The Zo Show @Staples
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17369

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
No more Jim/Mitch left so he had to retire


Was he a Jim/Mitch hire? Reeks of Jeanie actually.

On what basis?


On the basis that he is an ex-Laker and the fact Mitch/Jim interviewed him 3 times which I believe is unusual.


tells me more about those 2 guys then it tells me anything about jeanie.

but hey, please continue the jeanie hate


I don't hate Jeanie. I like Jeanie. She's a true Laker fan at heart.

But she makes decisions out of emotion which I don't think makes for a great leader.

I dont really know who was the driving force behind Byron. They're all culpable IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 7981
Location: It's Summer League!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

There were plenty of reports during the coaching search that all three of them were making the hiring decision together.

But lets not get distracted from what a horrible coach Byron was.
_________________
The Professional Scorer - Lou Williams

LFR - The Long Road Toward a Respectable Laker Defense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16267

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


Effin right on, Fletcha. Exactly what I was gonna post about. I was about to say, "Where's yinoma to tell us to move on while citing the mod's sticky about negativity?"
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16267

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.


haha I know he was in that game... but I don't remember him in that game lol


His last game ever was the single win LA got vs Utah in 97 and 98. Most people remember those series as both sweeps. He had a good performance to boot. Fell on his wrist and that was the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qMQsOysRL8

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 6357

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Oh boo hoo. Whether you saw him or not you're old enough to understand his impact and import to the franchise as a player.

Or just keep beating a dead horse, whatever floats your boat.

Should you really be the one saying boo hoo following that plea to leave him alone. He's a terrible coach and some fans will only remember him as such. You need to let it go.
_________________
"It was tough," Kobe Bryant said. "But when it got really tough for me, I just checked myself in."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 4117

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Sort of the way a guy with the barest history of success retires from anything; when you can't find work in your industry, the workplace has retired you.

He's wealthy enough to try the lecture circuit, youth development programs, community outreach activities. Or golf.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 1257

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.


haha I know he was in that game... but I don't remember him in that game lol


His last game ever was the single win LA got vs Utah in 97 and 98. Most people remember those series as both sweeps. He had a good performance to boot. Fell on his wrist and that was the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qMQsOysRL8

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.

None of the things you mentioned are the reasons why he was an awful coach, though. He was an awful coach because of his stubbornness, pride, hypocrisy, and lack of self awareness (which was an extension of his pride and stubbornness). It's pretty difficult to sympathize with a guy who chose, game after game, loss after loss, to trash his team by questioning their manhood and slapping them in their faces instead of reflecting on his own possible shortcomings as their own head coach.

I get that some of you have fond memories of him from the Showtime days, but some of us did not yet exist during the Showtime era. The only personal memories I have of him are from his two years of being a willfully horrible coach. He just sucked. It's that simple. That's why he ain't coaching.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin


Last edited by Judah on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 78164
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Aw c'mon, leave him alone. Now that he's not our coach we should try to remember him as Byron the player, not Byron the tank commander.


That might work for you but I never saw the guy as a player. All my memories of the Lakers don't start till the 1997 Playoffs where Kobe air-balled the GW against Utah. All Byron is to me is the worst Lakers head coach ever and I don't like him.


Byron was actually on that roster as a player

but I feel you, I never saw him play so I can't help but see him as a coach. Although, I don't feel any hatred towards him anymore. Once a Lakers legend, always a Lakers legend.


haha I know he was in that game... but I don't remember him in that game lol


His last game ever was the single win LA got vs Utah in 97 and 98. Most people remember those series as both sweeps. He had a good performance to boot. Fell on his wrist and that was the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qMQsOysRL8

And as bad as his coaching daze went with us, he didn't have Lonzo Ball or this FO. He had a guy in Zo's place who time will prove wasn't mature enough to have as much responsibility and expectations as he did here. That was a recipe for failure even for Walton whom we don't complain about. Oddly enough, it was the opposite for Luke. Much of the reactionary, youngns at LG called him Puke as a player and now they like him. Reverse for Byron. I feel bad for By. Wish he never got the gig in hindsight.


I respect that take, and if Byron hadn't been such a huge media critic who then jumped in as a coach and looked as bad as any coach I've ever seen, having neither a grasp of personnel nor x and o stuff, I'd share it too. And I'd be more sanguine if he wasn't still in magic's ear.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 6279

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

He has millions of dollars and connections to the Lakers.... nobody shedding a tear for this mofo.
_________________
"Keep looking at me like that and I'll turn Suplex City into Mizney World."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB