advice for current job
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: advice for current job

My wife recently got a new job that has turned into a job from hell. She reports directly to a department head who joined this company after my wife got hired but before her first day and made it clear she didnt like my wife from day 1.
There's also a senior per diem employee who is my wife's trainer who directly said she would have applied to my wife's position if she knew about it. This senior employee and the department head are thick as thieves and have obviously been scheming to push my wife out so the senior can have this permanent position. They made completely BS claims to write her up on that's clearly to create a paper trail to show why she will eventually not pass probation but now it appears they may be even be trying to get rid of her before probation ends as they are giving her ridiculous daily tasks and have been implying that if she does not complete she may be terminated.
On top of that the department head is beyond rude and aggressive with my wife. It boils my blood that people would treat someone this way and mess with the livelihood of someone who has done nothing to deserve this.
My wife is looking for another job but its become a real possibility they can fire her before she can even line up something else which would then complicate her job search more.
any advice on this?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

You're in California? Labor laws vary from state to state. In MA, your wife would have little recourse, as the laws heavily favor the employer, to the point where they don't even need to demonstrate cause. All I can say is that your wife also needs to create a paper trail with HR, and perhaps that might give them pause before they decide to release her.

Sorry your wife is getting squeezed out, but the company set her up for failure. Many mid to high level managers prefer to hire their own staff for various reasons (insecurity, loyalty past relationships, different desired qualifications, etc.) and will find ways to kill off any inherited staffers. The person who hired your wife and her manager should have known better.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Does the company have an HR department? Get this filed in writing.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

From my understanding during the probation period they can let you go for any reason.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

Contact HR if there IS one, but also have her document all the BS herself.

IF they fire her , or attempt to... They will most likely have her sign some documents. She COULD refuse and just tell them to "eff off, and then just quit. But then you have to figure whether that is worth giving up on potential unemployment $$.

Does she have access to her job description or some kind of employee handbook? Maybe there is a way she can throw some of the tasks they are giving her back in their face. I'm sure these d-bags don't expect her to fight back.

Sorry you're going thru this
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

ocho wrote:

HR is there to protect the company. I doubt they will go to bat for her.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Limited to the information you've provided in your post, it doesn't sound like there is a legal claim. Sounds like a political problem. Maybe the best bet is to write a letter to HR laying it all out exactly how you have done. In my experience, however, what you've described is not going to end well. When people senior to you in your office want a result, its really hard to stop them from getting it unless you can find a way to somehow align with people senior to them.

One suggestion is to take a look at the employee handbook. Technically, that's an implied contract. If they've violated any of their own policies as to your wife, that should be pointed out to HR as well. That may not give rise to a breach of contract claim, but, at the least, it may give rise to the threat of one.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

First off sorry you & your wife have to go through this. My friend has a terribly toxic work environment right now as well so I can relate.

I pray she gets an even better job offer so y'all don't have to deal with this at all
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ocho wrote:

HR is there to protect the company. I doubt they will go to bat for her.

Part of protecting the company would be to not open themselves to lawsuits. That would mean disciplining the offending parties. Either way, getting a formal written complaint on the record establishes the problem before it can escalate further.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

yes this is in California and a non-unionized at-will position. Also this job does have a HR department. We were trying to look into getting HR involved if only to buy more time until she gets another job but at the same time we are concerned with them trying to spread lies to potential future employers. We are thinking either way she wont either way she wont list this job on her resume and just dance around a 1-2 month unemployed gap she should have.

And what really sucks is she had a stable job that actually paid a little more and only went here for better commute and working hours.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yes this is in California and a non-unionized at-will position. Also this job does have a HR department. We were trying to look into getting HR involved if only to buy more time until she gets another job but at the same time we are concerned with them trying to spread lies to potential future employers. We are thinking either way she wont either way she wont list this job on her resume and just dance around a 1-2 month unemployed gap she should have.

And what really sucks is she had a stable job that actually paid a little more and only went here for better commute and working hours.

Pretty sure they can't do that in California.

I'm sure it sucks big time going through something like this with an employer but does she really want to work at a place that has employees that act this way? At least she found out from the jump and can just move onto something else.

I would still go to HR though and try my hardest to get these ladies reprimanded while you're wife is still there. If that doesn't work, you can always catch them outside of work JK, of course
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

she is definitely not trying to work here even if they want her to at this point. Its just a matter finding out the best way to get another job lined up with all this going on.
Is an employee allowed to require HR to not give any additional info about themselves besides start+end date to any other employers?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
she is definitely not trying to work here even if they want her to at this point. Its just a matter finding out the best way to get another job lined up with all this going on.
Is an employee allowed to require HR to not give any additional info about themselves besides start+end date to any other employers?

Many, if not most companies as a matter of policy will only give dates of employment, and title. Anything additional can invite a lawsuit. When pressed by a company inquiring about a former employee, I sure as hell don't provided any information when pressed, other than ebullient but non-specific praise.

HR is trained to do their best to get info. When they realize you're not going to say anything negative, they will ask, "Is there any reason why you would not hire so-and-son again?"
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

is it really true that when you get fired you can simply say right then "no I resign" to prevent a termination from being on your employment record?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
is it really true that when you get fired you can simply say right then "no I resign" to prevent a termination from being on your employment record?

Again, I'm not a labor lawyer, but that move will likely screw your wife out of unemployment benefits. The covenant between employer and employee has drastically changed over the years, there is far less stigma arising from prior termination. Even then, your wife will need to explain why she quit to a prospective employer.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

I dont think she qualifies for unemployment since she has only been there for a month
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I dont think she qualifies for unemployment since she has only been there for a month

If they fire her, it's not uncommon to expect a severance payment which wouldn't be in play if she quits.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

That is VERY illegal. HR in CA is limited in what they can share with ANYONE about your employment. To avoid potential lawsuits, most companies limit themselves to verifying employment ONLY. They can also disclose whether your departure was voluntary or involuntary, but they can't get into details. It is very important to document everything and report it to HR. You might want to consult the CA Labor Commissioner's Office see if they have any advisement.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Also, you mentioned she had taken a full time position and noting one of her tormentors is a 1099/contractor or something? If this is the case then when they offered the job there was an assumption on the employers part to have her there long term, vs. as a temp or contractor. If this is the case, and your wife passed on other offers to take the position, also based on the same assumption, it would make a separation package even that much more likely. Especially if she's documented the harassment and attempts to force her out.

In short, in no way should she quit until she's found another job. Make them fire her.

Might I ask what type of work this is?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

I wonder why they don't just let your wife go. In CA, employment is generally at-will. I guess they do the paper trail thing to cover themselves but unless they do something to break the law, your wife is stuck I think.

I mean, I think it is perfectly legal to not hire someone because you don't like them. It's crappy, but legal.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

If she's worked other jobs previously, she would be able to claim unemployment in most cases, provided she's worked enough hours over the base period of time, and importantly, that she didn't quit her current job or get fired for a cause that would exempt her from benefits.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Quitting a job is irrelevant for unemployment benefits if you can prove that either way you were going to be out of a job for reasons other than cause. You can also receive unemployment benefits even if you quit if you can prove that the conditions of your employment were harmful or unsafe to your physical or mental well being, or if you were being subjected to or asked to perform unlawful activity.

Most employers will not defame you to prospective employers or else fear the risk of a defamation lawsuit.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Also, you mentioned she had taken a full time position and noting one of her tormentors is a 1099/contractor or something? If this is the case then when they offered the job there was an assumption on the employers part to have her there long term, vs. as a temp or contractor. If this is the case, and your wife passed on other offers to take the position, also based on the same assumption, it would make a separation package even that much more likely. Especially if she's documented the harassment and attempts to force her out.

In short, in no way should she quit until she's found another job. Make them fire her.

Might I ask what type of work this is?

What's funny about the per diem associate is if they had any interest in bringing her on permanent, she would have known about the position before it was even posted to the public. So the fact that she didn't know about it to apply for it was deliberate on the part of the company.

And also, knowing corporate America like I do, there's a very good chance there might be some kind of association between the department head and the per diem associate. Honestly, I would just hang in there. Weather the storm.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

This is a DISCRIMINATION or HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT ISSUE

I'm in California and can tell you exactly what she needs to do.

FIRST: Read up on everything you can on the official Cal. Labor website.

LINK: https://oag.ca.gov/publications/womansrights/ch1

NEXT: Document everything that has been done to her and by who that fits under the descriptions.

NEXT: Have her call in sick, stating that she is having some stress related work issues issues. She may need to visit the doctor and get him/her to document the stress related issues.

NEXT: Take that document into her HR Dept and tell them that she will be filing a complaint with the state of California UNLESS she is moved out from under this boss with equal pay and similar work.

Depending on the companies reaction, she may need to file the complaint, it will absolutely be investigated by the state and she may get her job back or be able to settle for one years pay (that is not a rule, it's just something that could happen).

REMEMBER: It is not about what they actually do, it is how your wife perceives their actions.

Do a search on the internet, there are dozens of lawyers who would love to take this case and make them pay...
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

This all sounds like you some legal help.

I am not a lawyer but you should get one ASAP.

Bye.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: