Lakers fined $500K for tampering with Paul George (pg 30)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

The league did not appease the small market teams, that is a LG creation. And I doubt that the Lakers would gladly pay that fine to make the Pacers feel better (they don't). But justify it how ever one wants. Since we didn't lose picks or players, we weren't harmed. It is the Buss family that has to pony up the cash. The only potentially lingering harm might be a longer rap sheet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The league did not appease the small market teams, that is a LG creation. And I doubt that the Lakers would gladly pay that fine to make the Pacers feel better (they don't). But justify it how ever one wants. Since we didn't lose picks or players, we weren't harmed. It is the Buss family that has to pony up the cash. The only potentially lingering harm might be a longer rap sheet.

Yeah. The Veto wasn't to appease the smaller markets.

The revenue sharing mechanism wasn't constructed to appease (and keep profitable) the small market teams.

The NBA basically has a small market welfare scheme.

This was absolutely, and just my opinion, a move to save face for the small market teams that may be losing LBJ/PG13. Cavs without LBJ will face another long rebuild; OKC may lose both WB/PG13.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

This was absolutely, and just my opinion, a move to save face for the small market teams that may be losing LBJ/PG13. Cavs without LBJ will face another long rebuild; OKC may lose both WB/PG13.

I agree. The bottom line for me is that it would be naiive to think what Pelinka did doesn't happen on a daily basis. The lesson learned here is that you don't showboat and gloat in everyone's face like Magic and Pelinka did. That rightfully pissed the pacers off. TBD on if Magic and Pelinka learned the lesson.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

The Veto was illegal collusion between owners, including Pacers owner Herb Simon. The Lakers could have filed a lawsuit, since Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert's email was tangible evidence of collusion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree. The bottom line for me is that it would be naiive to think what Pelinka did doesn't happen on a daily basis. The lesson learned here is that you don't showboat and gloat in everyone's face like Magic and Pelinka did. That rightfully pissed the pacers off. TBD on if Magic and Pelinka learned the lesson.

How many times in private did these owners say, "them Hollywood [insert expletive/pejorative/racial terminology]..."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The Veto was illegal collusion between owners, including Pacers owner Herb Simon. The Lakers could have filed a lawsuit, since Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert's email was tangible evidence of collusion.

Gilbert was a part owner of NO. Who exactly did the ownership group collude with?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I am sure that stuff like that does happen, others don't get caught.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Magic asked Jeanie to pay the $500K fine out of his salary. Nice, leadership move there.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-tampering-magic-johnson-jeanie-buss-20170905-story.html
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Or are part of the small market mafia and aren't subject to the same scrutiny.

To be fair, Lakers know better after already being targeted by the group with the Veto. Lakers are ALWAYS under scrutiny.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Magic asked Jeanie to pay the $500K fine out of his salary. Nice, leadership move there.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-tampering-magic-johnson-jeanie-buss-20170905-story.html

Wow. Good for you Magic! I like how he took full ownership and said that it was under his watch.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How many times in private did these owners say, "them Hollywood [insert expletive/pejorative/racial terminology]..."

more times than we would be willing to count probably. The members of the good ole boy network are some of the biggest hypocrites. They should just stfu and be greatful the NBA has afforded them the ability to profit so much at the expense of the teams they complain about.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Kevin Pritchard:

Quote:
Through a spokesperson, Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard said, “We accept the league’s findings."

Looks like no lawsuit. Over. Done.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:
The league did not appease the small market teams, that is a LG creation.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but the idea that this was just appeasement of the small market teams suggests a certain amount of denial and perhaps a persecution complex. The Pacers filed a complaint, which they are entitled to do. The league investigated, which it is supposed to do. The league found that Pelinka made improper contact with George's agent. Neither Pelinka nor the Lakers deny that this happened. The league fined the Lakers. The decision to fine the Lakers appears to be appropriate. The amount of the fine may have been motivated in part by a desire to appease the small market teams, but it was probably also motivated by the need to send a clear message to the Lakers to knock it off.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But they could get caught if someone created a fuss. It's like yinoma said, big markets are under bigger scrutiny. No one raises their hand when it's a small market, they are a pack protecting their kind.

All it takes is someone filing a request with the league and I would put money on evidence on every team. Whether the NBA lets it out or not is another story.

Just the nature of it, teams like the lakers or Knicks will always have a target on them because the small markets perceive that they have an advantage in FA despite the NBA trying its best to provide incentive for players to remain in their markets.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Wow. Good for you Magic! I like how he took full ownership and said that it was under his watch.

I like it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kevin Pritchard:

Quote:
Through a spokesperson, Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard said, “We accept the league’s findings."

Wasn't that quote prior to the lawsuit talk?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The league did not appease the small market teams, that is a LG creation.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but the idea that this was just appeasement of the small market teams suggests a certain amount of denial and perhaps a persecution complex. The Pacers filed a complaint, which they are entitled to do. The league investigated, which it is supposed to do. The league found that Pelinka made improper contact with George's agent. Neither Pelinka nor the Lakers deny that this happened. The league fined the Lakers. The decision to fine the Lakers appears to be appropriate. The amount of the fine may have been motivated in part by a desire to appease the small market teams, but it was probably also motivated by the need to send a clear message to the Lakers to knock it off.

You are absolutely right about the mechanics of it, and how it started. But as you stated, the penalty for it, we see the disparities for example in criminal sentencing based on race. The Lakers unfortunately seem to be the one being made an example, again.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I'm sure some will still complain.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kevin Pritchard:

Quote:

Wasn't that quote prior to the lawsuit talk?

That was from Peter Vecsey's troubled mind. No other reliable source has reported that. It would be problematic for the Pacers to sue the NBA/Lakers IMO. They got their 500k pound of flesh.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

NBA GM: "Tampering is what the league is built on"

https://twitter.com/slamonline/status/905150066511503361
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

He's taking the hit because he knows that he will get the credit if PG13 comes to LA over the summer...it will be well worth it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The latest CBA proves how wrong you are.
It was specifically written out in a way that diminishes the power of large market teams.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But they could get caught if someone created a fuss. It's like yinoma said, big markets are under bigger scrutiny. No one raises their hand when it's a small market, they are a pack protecting their kind.

All it takes is someone filing a request with the league and I would put money on evidence on every team. Whether the NBA lets it out or not is another story.

Just the nature of it, teams like the lakers or Knicks will always have a target on them because the small markets perceive that they have an advantage in FA despite the NBA trying its best to provide incentive for players to remain in their markets.

The Pacers weren't filing charges until Magic's TV comments. That reportedly was the tipping point. The league wasn't after the Lakers. It was the warning before Pelinka's conversation that resulted in the large fine.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The latest CBA proves how wrong you are.
It was specifically written out in a way that diminishes the power of large market teams.

Ok, though that has nothing to do with the post you quoted. We are discussing tampering charges, the CBA has nothing to do with that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

He's taking the hit because he knows that he will get the credit if PG13 comes to LA over the summer...it will be well worth it.

The FO should get the credit if PG comes here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 41 of 44
Jump to: