Lakers fined $500K for tampering with Paul George (pg 30)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
That's a good point. It seems like Indiana was irritated that the lakers didn't really engage in PG13 sweepstakes and it sounded the alarm and was a red flag. The final straw or what triggered an already angry pacers organization was magic's segment on kimmel.

Hopefully, there is no paper trail or record connecting mintz/lakers/PG13 on the subject of do not throw assets away, PG13 is coming in 2018.

I wouldn't be so sure, PG wasn't happy that the Lakers didn't pursue him. If OKC makes the WCFs I wouldn't expect PG to walk away from that to a lottery team.

You just made this up.

No, it was reported. Only once though, and I don't remember who, but I'm guessing Ramona said it during one of her ESPNLA appearances. I wouldn't put too much weight on it though. Just because one person said it, does not make it true. Even with someone as credible as her, or Woj, or who ever said it.

George said so himself in an interview with Woj.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
That's a good point. It seems like Indiana was irritated that the lakers didn't really engage in PG13 sweepstakes and it sounded the alarm and was a red flag. The final straw or what triggered an already angry pacers organization was magic's segment on kimmel.

Hopefully, there is no paper trail or record connecting mintz/lakers/PG13 on the subject of do not throw assets away, PG13 is coming in 2018.

I wouldn't be so sure, PG wasn't happy that the Lakers didn't pursue him. If OKC makes the WCFs I wouldn't expect PG to walk away from that to a lottery team.

You just made this up.

No, it was reported. Only once though, and I don't remember who, but I'm guessing Ramona said it during one of her ESPNLA appearances. I wouldn't put too much weight on it though. Just because one person said it, does not make it true. Even with someone as credible as her, or Woj, or who ever said it.

I have asked for link previously. Unless you have it, this sentence should be "woj said PG13 was unhappy with lakers."

Do not see any recordings or audio of PG13 communicating directly to woj and until we do I'm sorry but you are manipulating/twisting it and spinning it as a fact when it's just speculation.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You just made this up.

I have asked for link previously. Unless you have it, this sentence should be "woj said PG13 was unhappy with lakers."

Do not see any recordings or audio of PG13 communicating directly to woj and until we do I'm sorry but you are manipulating/twisting it and spinning it as a fact when it's just speculation.

In the end you're right..it's speculation. Myles Turner directly said that PG told him he wanted to be a Laker...so more speculation.

And this nonsense about joining a lottery team..The Lakers are going to win 35+ games if they stay healthy. If you add PG and LBJ we automatically become the second best team in the west. Period. Remember before LBJ and Bosh joined Miami they were on of the worst teams in the league and they immediately went to the NBA finals.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

LBJ joined the Cavs who were a lottery team.

I think we will be just as good or better (33-49 in 2013 b/f LBJ came) as the 2013 Cavs. In adding PG13, I think we get a better player in PG13 than Love, and I think Lonzo/Ingram are comparable to what Irving was (ceiling wise).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You just made this up.

That's fair, although either would be a suitable response to, "you just made this up"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think we will be just as good or better (33-49 in 2013 b/f LBJ came) as the 2013 Cavs. In adding PG13, I think we get a better player in PG13 than Love, and I think Lonzo/Ingram are comparable to what Irving was (ceiling wise).

Lebron did so because Cleveland assured him they would do what it took to build a winner, then followed through on that. Will the Lakers do what is necessary to build a winner?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You just made this up.

In the end you're right..it's speculation. Myles Turner directly said that PG told him he wanted to be a Laker...so more speculation.

And this nonsense about joining a lottery team..The Lakers are going to win 35+ games if they stay healthy. If you add PG and LBJ we automatically become the second best team in the west. Period. Remember before LBJ and Bosh joined Miami they were on of the worst teams in the league and they immediately went to the NBA finals.

So Paul George is speculating on how he feels?
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lebron did so because Cleveland assured him they would do what it took to build a winner, then followed through on that. Will the Lakers do what is necessary to build a winner?

No they will just aim to build a losing team.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You just made this up.

That's fair, although either would be a suitable response to, "you just made this up"

VLF will do his thing, there is no stopping him. Usually I would not care but in this instance I want it to be known that one of his favorite statements is really not a fact, but straight up speculation. I'll be happy to eat crow if someone comes up with audio of PG13 saying he was unhappy with the lakers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't know, sign PG13? Maybe Lonzo/Ingram look like young stars in the making and we have a nice young bench?

I mean people would have laughed at you if you said that while LBJ was on Miami, that he would join a 30 win Cavs team and leave the 4 time consecutive NBA Finals Heat.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Situations are much different:

1. Joining the West in 2018 vs. the East in 2014. Very different scenarios, especially given point #2
2. Warriors. They are a problem.
3. His connection to Cleveland
4. Lebron's age
5. I'd argue your Kyrie point is questionable given Lebron's window is probably 2 years realistically IMO.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
VLF will do his thing, there is no stopping him.

Sure there is. Stop reading and quoting him.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
JohnWick wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You just made this up.

So Paul George is speculating on how he feels?

No...I just couldn't find the piece where Turner made that comment. It was on NBA TV, I saw it live, but I couldn't find it. Hence why I said speculation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Situations are much different:

1. Joining the West in 2018 vs. the East in 2014. Very different scenarios, especially given point #2
2. Warriors. They are a problem.
3. His connection to Cleveland
4. Lebron's age
5. I'd argue your Kyrie point is questionable given Lebron's window is probably 2 years realistically IMO.

Or could the simple answer be that he wants to end his career in LA, and start making the business connections to jumpstart his post NBA career (which rumors abound he is poised to do)?

Why is LBJ's window only 2 years? Many all time greats have had long careers, and he could be one of the outliers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The key here is too much smoke being blown around about George and/or his agent working with the Lakers (the idea that they were told not to trade for him and that despite their interest they apparently made no real effort to trade for him Is certainly going to concern the league), and magic doing the Kimmel show (which in and of itself would be a small wrist slap)

I forgot about that aspect of the story. Let us hope that this is not proven to be true.

Short of an audio tape, how would they even prove that? They're allowed to talk to his agent because he's also the agent of some of their players, right?

Once again, let me speak from experience as a litigator. Most people are not good at keeping secrets. Most people do not think like CIA agents or mafia dons. Most people run their mouths, brag about stuff, write ill-considered e-mails and texts, and in general leave a long trail of evidence. There is a reason why conspiracies are so difficult to keep secret.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

If LBJ doesn't come, we'll turn our attention to guys like PG13/WB, maybe Boogie, etc.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
or
(ii) otherwise interfere with any such employer-employee relationship

Honestly, I'm not sure why you seem to think that clause is important.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't think anything is going to happen. I read that a third party is investigating this accusation. If the NBA isn't, then it's a non issue.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If LBJ doesn't come, we'll turn our attention to guys like PG13/WB, maybe Boogie, etc.

we're good either way it goes.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Bob Kravitz was on the morning show on espn710 this morning and went through the timeline, pretty good interview.

The 3 main parts imo:

1. Simon, Pritchard and Bird got together day after kimmel segment and basically said this is "BS." When Mintz called and informed them PG13 wouldn't be back, they put 2 and 2 together and submitted request for tampering investigation.

2. Kravitz said PG13 always gave the notion that he wanted to be back up until he wasn't named to the All-NBA. Once he wasn't eligible for super max, his tune changed. So Kravitz says you can't really blame the pacers for holding on past trade deadline despite the whispers even if in retrospect they should have traded him.

3. Kravitz believes PG13's desire is to be a laker and that he will end up with the lakers unless the tampering results in that option being taken away. Kravitz says Westbrook and OKC is not going to be enough to keep George from going to lakers.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Bob Kravitz was on the morning show on espn710 this morning and went through the timeline, pretty good interview.

The 3 main parts imo:

1. Simon, Pritchard and Bird got together day after kimmel segment and basically said this is "BS." When Mintz called and informed them PG13 wouldn't be back, they put 2 and 2 together and submitted request for tampering investigation.

2. Kravitz said PG13 always gave the notion that he wanted to be back up until he wasn't named to the All-NBA. Once he wasn't eligible for super max, his tune changed. So Kravitz says you can't really blame the pacers for holding on past trade deadline despite the whispers even if in retrospect they should have traded him.

3. Kravitz believes PG13's desire is to be a laker and that he will end up with the lakers unless the tampering results in that option being taken away. Kravitz says Westbrook and OKC is not going to be enough to keep George from going to lakers.

Sigh. At least the segment was "funny" and sort of went viral.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
I don't think anything is going to happen. I read that a third party is investigating this accusation. If the NBA isn't, then it's a non issue.

The NBA hired the third party.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's the small market Tamper Tantrum.

They are telling the Lakers that every move will be scrutinized from now until 2018 FA.

We all tend to see this through the filter of our own desires. Sometimes you have to turn it around and look at it the other way. If LA had a star player who grew up in new England, and with more than a hear left on his deal his agent started putting stories out of him returning there, and demanded a trade, and word leaked out that the agent colluded with boston including the fact that he had told boston not to give up anything in a trade, and told everyone else not to bother, and LA ended up getting a crap deal, and, oh yeah, Danny Ainge pretty much floated about the whole deal on national tv? Would laker fans feel that a tampering claim and investigation was unwarranted?

The key here is too much smoke being blown around about George and/or his agent working with the Lakers (the idea that they were told not to trade for him and that despite their interest they apparently made no real effort to trade for him Is certainly going to concern the league), and magic doing the Kimmel show (which in and of itself would be a small wrist slap), for the league not to look into it.

That said, its pretty tough to prove what conversations were about between the team and an agent who represents potential draft picks and at the time, two of their own players. It could be more problematic to explain any calls between George and, say Magic, but even there, as long as there aren't texts or something like that, there are ways to explain them that leave the commissioner, even if suspicious, with very little to go on. So barring something really stupid, they are likely to be ok.

But again, they are in this spot in large part because of the widely held (imcluding by a lot of lakers fans) belief, aided by their own statements and actions, that they do indeed have at least a direct understanding with George (and lbj as well, through his agent, which would also be illegal). And if the tabkes were turned, those same fans would want the league to investigate.
If i was an Indy fan i would not care about the lakers and what they were doing. because its PG13 that told me he was leaving and it was him and his agents who told the world he's going back home to L.A. and it was him and his agents that put it out there for the lakers to save their good players and not trade for him ..since he's coming anyway.

all that is on PG13 even if I was an INDY fan. my fav player was leaving regardless and was going home regardless. Why would i want to punish the lakers for that? Unless I'm a sore loser type.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's the small market Tamper Tantrum.

They are telling the Lakers that every move will be scrutinized from now until 2018 FA.

We all tend to see this through the filter of our own desires. Sometimes you have to turn it around and look at it the other way. If LA had a star player who grew up in new England, and with more than a hear left on his deal his agent started putting stories out of him returning there, and demanded a trade, and word leaked out that the agent colluded with boston including the fact that he had told boston not to give up anything in a trade, and told everyone else not to bother, and LA ended up getting a crap deal, and, oh yeah, Danny Ainge pretty much floated about the whole deal on national tv? Would laker fans feel that a tampering claim and investigation was unwarranted?

The key here is too much smoke being blown around about George and/or his agent working with the Lakers (the idea that they were told not to trade for him and that despite their interest they apparently made no real effort to trade for him Is certainly going to concern the league), and magic doing the Kimmel show (which in and of itself would be a small wrist slap), for the league not to look into it.

That said, its pretty tough to prove what conversations were about between the team and an agent who represents potential draft picks and at the time, two of their own players. It could be more problematic to explain any calls between George and, say Magic, but even there, as long as there aren't texts or something like that, there are ways to explain them that leave the commissioner, even if suspicious, with very little to go on. So barring something really stupid, they are likely to be ok.

But again, they are in this spot in large part because of the widely held (imcluding by a lot of lakers fans) belief, aided by their own statements and actions, that they do indeed have at least a direct understanding with George (and lbj as well, through his agent, which would also be illegal). And if the tabkes were turned, those same fans would want the league to investigate.
If i was an Indy fan i would not care about the lakers and what they were doing. because its PG13 that told me he was leaving and it was him and his agents who told the world he's going back home to L.A. and it was him and his agents that put it out there for the lakers to save their good players and not trade for him ..since he's coming anyway.

all that is on PG13 even if I was an INDY fan. my fav player was leaving regardless and was going home regardless. Why would i want to punish the lakers for that? Unless I'm a sore loser type.

The point is you are not an Indy fan. Consider for a moment the huge chip that most NBA fans have towards the Lakers.

I moved to Denver about 8 years ago, trust me the inferiority complex against the Lakers is huge. You hear it on the radio and from fans constantly. Even hear it in the NFL discussions and the Broncos. The recent run by the Dodgers coinciding with the mid season plummet of the Rockies is downright comical in the bitterness.

Small cities commiserate with each other about how unfair it is from a franchise perspective.

Think about the response to the Paul trade. LA fans hold a grudge. The rest of the League smirks and defends it. Or how many other 20 win teams have fans pack arenas to scream "Beat LA!".

The majority of the fans across the league would like nothing more then to see the Lakers get slammed hard for tampering. Only hope that nothing is found or proven.

If Magic screwed up it will likely be an overreaction if the the other owners and fan reaction can sway the punishment.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

The point is you are not an Indy fan. Consider for a moment the huge chip that most NBA fans have towards the Lakers.

I moved to Denver about 8 years ago, trust me the inferiority complex against the Lakers is huge. You hear it on the radio and from fans constantly. Even hear it in the NFL discussions and the Broncos. The recent run by the Dodgers coinciding with the mid season plummet of the Rockies is downright comical in the bitterness.

Small cities commiserate with each other about how unfair it is from a franchise perspective.

Think about the response to the Paul trade. LA fans hold a grudge. The rest of the League smirks and defends it. Or how many other 20 win teams have fans pack arenas to scream "Beat LA!".

The majority of the fans across the league would like nothing more then to see the Lakers get slammed hard for tampering. Only hope that nothing is found or proven.

If Magic screwed up it will likely be an overreaction if the the other owners and fan reaction can sway the punishment.

Exactly. That part is unfair but not unknown, which is why it is terribly important not to make egregious unforced errors of judgment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 24 of 44
Jump to: