Lakers fined $500K for tampering with Paul George (pg 30)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Bob Kravitz was on the morning show on espn710 this morning and went through the timeline, pretty good interview.

The 3 main parts imo:

1. Simon, Pritchard and Bird got together day after kimmel segment and basically said this is "BS." When Mintz called and informed them PG13 wouldn't be back, they put 2 and 2 together and submitted request for tampering investigation.

2. Kravitz said PG13 always gave the notion that he wanted to be back up until he wasn't named to the All-NBA. Once he wasn't eligible for super max, his tune changed. So Kravitz says you can't really blame the pacers for holding on past trade deadline despite the whispers even if in retrospect they should have traded him.

3. Kravitz believes PG13's desire is to be a laker and that he will end up with the lakers unless the tampering results in that option being taken away. Kravitz says Westbrook and OKC is not going to be enough to keep George from going to lakers.

Not many players are walking away from that contract.

Just like how Irving left? Or how cp3 opted in for a better situation?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I would imagine that before the NBA spends the resources and money to investigate an accusation, they would do their due diligence to determine if the accusations had any merit.

I doubt its as simple as "they tampered" and that's enough to get an investigation going.

If you mean an investigation that includes hiring an outside law firm, yes, I agree.

Yeah, I'm just saying a litmus test, so to speak, has already been applied.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I would imagine that before the NBA spends the resources and money to investigate an accusation, they would do their due diligence to determine if the accusations had any merit.

I doubt its as simple as "they tampered" and that's enough to get an investigation going.

If you mean an investigation that includes hiring an outside law firm, yes, I agree.

I dunno about that. It's owners that literally pay Silver's salary. If the temperature of the league is that the Lakers might be up to something he has nothing to lose backing a fishing expedition.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I dunno about that. It's owners that literally pay Silver's salary. If the temperature of the league is that the Lakers might be up to something he has nothing to lose backing a fishing expedition.

Even Laker fans were talking about tampering before any of this came to light.

And there is the factor of time and resources. As fans, we might bored right now, but Silver and co have plenty to deal with than wasting his time on something he believes to be completely baseless.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Picture what I might be doing next time you post something like that.

Apologies, I guess?
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

How about this:

(1) Jimmy Kimmel
(2) Magic's tweets (god is good, etc.)
(3) Magic being a repeat offender (previously fined over a minor tampering incident before he was team president)
(4) PG having same agent as Lakers players, raising the possibility of communication through agent
(5) Magic reportedly having met with PG's parents
(6) PG's agent taking the very unusual step of warning all teams besides Lakers not to expect him to stick around if they trade for him

On the one hand, I would think that is sufficient circumstantial evidence to hire a law firm. On the other hand, if there is nothing additional that turns up, I'd guess it is probably settled with a fine for the Jimmy Kimmel comments.

Last edited by markjay on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And there is the factor of time and resources. As fans, we might bored right now, but Silver and co have plenty to deal with than wasting his time on something he believes to be completely baseless.

They hired a firm to do the investigation. Their time is still free.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

They hired a firm to do the investigation. Their time is still free.

They hired a law firm. Any thoughts on whether those are expensive or cheap? Haha.

Resources still need to manage the law firm, work with them, stay involved, etc. You really think Silver is going to go throigh all that trouble and expense to pursue something he knows is a total waste of time?

Out of curiousity, anyone know where the money for the 2+ months of outside counsel fees are paid from? Do the leaguea teams, effectivey, share that expense together?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

ARTICLE 24
AUTHORITY AND DUTIES OF THE COMMISSIONER

(a) A Commissioner shall be elected by the affirmative
vote of three-fourths (3/4) of all the Governors. The Commissioner
shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and shall be
charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional
basketball and preserving public confidence in the League. The
Commissioner’s term of office may be terminated by a vote of three fourths
(3/4) of the Governors at a meeting duly called for such
purpose.

(b) The Commissioner shall have no financial interest,
direct or indirect, in any professional sport.

(c) The Commissioner shall have the responsibility for
the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the
League and shall have all such other powers as may be necessary or
appropriate to fulfill this responsibility.

(d) The Commissioner shall have exclusive, full,
complete, and final jurisdiction of any dispute involving two (2) or
more Members of the Association.

(e) The Commissioner shall have the right to investigate
all charges, accusations, or other matters that may adversely affect the
Association or its Members.

(f) The Commissioner shall have all rights and powers
accorded to him by any collective bargaining agreement.

(g) The Commissioner, on behalf of the Association,
may incur any expense which, in his discretion, is necessary to conduct
and transact the business of the Association, including but not limited
to, the leasing of office space, the hiring of employees, and the
engaging of other assistance or services; provided, however, that the
Commissioner shall not have the authority to incur any expense
inconsistent with expenses incurred for similar assistance or services
during the past five (5) years, without prior approval of the Board of
Governors.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

What exactly does that mean? That all owners are effectively paying for this investigation, by virtue of having voted in Silver and thus, bestowing upon him the power to make that decision on their behalf?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Resources still need to manage the law firm, work with them, stay involved, etc. You really think Silver is going to go throigh all that trouble and expense to pursue something he knows is a total waste of time?

I think he answers to his bosses, and if they consider some, maybe fruitless, effort to halt another LA superteam money well spent then so does he.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think he answers to his bosses, and if they consider some, maybe fruitless, effort to halt another LA superteam money well spent then so does he.

Why would he give the Lakers three #2 picks in a row then? Because the bosses wanted that? Cmon.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Why would he give the Lakers three #2 picks in a row then? Because the bosses wanted that? Cmon.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Ugh, because he didn't...
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject:

Lakers get fined, end of story. I seriously doubt the Lakers talked contract. With max terms basically defined, they don't have to. Did PG13s agent initiate a call? Certainly possible. I doubt anyone was recording the conversation, so it would not amount to much. Magic is fined for the Kimmel segment and everyone moves on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Out of curiousity, anyone know where the money for the 2+ months of outside counsel fees are paid from? Do the leaguea teams, effectivey, share that expense together?

It really won't be THAT expensive. Maybe 50-60k at most, which is nothing for the NBA.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Lakers get fined, end of story. I seriously doubt the Lakers talked contract. With max terms basically defined, they don't have to. Did PG13s agent initiate a call? Certainly possible. I doubt anyone was recording the conversation, so it would not amount to much. Magic is fined for the Kimmel segment and everyone moves on.

What is being overlooked here is Mintz is the agent of an ex-laker snitch. So if the law firm interviews this individual, he might spill what he knows

J/k! Please do not take this seriously
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

It really won't be THAT expensive. Maybe 50-60k at most, which is nothing for the NBA.

What? For Wachtell Lipton? They might do a simple will for $50k, but if you want to leave your Hot Wheels collection to Uncle Barney, you're looking at $100k. Add a zero to your estimates, and you'll be closer to the mark.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

What? For Wachtell Lipton? They might do a simple will for $50k, but if you want to leave your Hot Wheels collection to Uncle Barney, you're looking at $100k. Add a zero to your estimates, and you'll be closer to the mark.

Ok, you're probably right. Though Wachtell apparently has an unusual billing structure. Wonder why they would do this kind of work when other gigs pay them significantly more?

https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/a-peek-into-how-wachtell-bills-for-deals/
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LBJ joined the Cavs who were a lottery team.

I think we will be just as good or better (33-49 in 2013 b/f LBJ came) as the 2013 Cavs. In adding PG13, I think we get a better player in PG13 than Love, and I think Lonzo/Ingram are comparable to what Irving was (ceiling wise).

Situations are much different:

1. Joining the West in 2018 vs. the East in 2014. Very different scenarios, especially given point #2
2. Warriors. They are a problem.
3. His connection to Cleveland
4. Lebron's age
5. I'd argue your Kyrie point is questionable given Lebron's window is probably 2 years realistically IMO.

Or could the simple answer be that he wants to end his career in LA, and start making the business connections to jumpstart his post NBA career (which rumors abound he is poised to do)?

Why is LBJ's window only 2 years? Many all time greats have had long careers, and he could be one of the outliers.

That makes sense as a reason Lebron would want to come here. To come here to win is what makes little sense. I would welcome some first/second round playoff exits compared to what we have seen the past 4 seasons.

It makes little sense to you because you have already made up your mind that no one can beat the Warriors.

We haven't even seen the development of Ball and Ingram. We haven't even seen how well George and James, and any other players who join the team would play together.

I understand it's easy to repeat the same narrative. No one is beating the Warriors, until someone actually beat the Warriors, and people claim, they knew they were beatable all alone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

He didn't give the Lakers anything
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

What is being overlooked here is Mintz is the agent of an ex-laker snitch. So if the law firm interviews this individual, he might spill what he knows

What if that conversation they were laughing about while sitting together at rookie workouts was about George, and he got it on his phone?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

What if that conversation they were laughing about while sitting together at rookie workouts was about George, and he got it on his phone?

NY law firm. Brooklyn Nets fans
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:

I would argue he shouldn't even be fined for the Kimmel comments. He didn't clearly break any tampering rule but he did step into a gray area there.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

I would argue he shouldn't even be fined for the Kimmel comments. He didn't clearly break any tampering rule but he did step into a gray area there.

Incorrect. He very clearly indicated, in the form of a joke, that he was not going to tell George that he wanted him to come to LA, but he would be winking the whole time, "like this", which is essentially saying right there on tv that he wants him. He can't say stuff like that, no gray area about it. That said, that alone is a minor offense and a fine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 26 of 44
Jump to: