Reasons why we might exceed expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

1.Someone on the team will exceed all expectations and break out.

2. A couple teams ahead of us will suffer from a serious case of the injury bug.

3. No more experimenting with lineups and tanking by Luke and the team. The develop the youngsters excuse is coming to an end. This FO wants to see results.
Ibn Rushd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

Lopez >>> Mozgod/Black
2018 Randle > 2017 Randle
2018 Ingram >>> 2017 Ingram
KCP = or > Young
Ball = or > D'Angelo

2018 Luke > 2017 Luke

The problem is that 2018 West >>>>> 2017 West
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

Ibn Rushd wrote:
Lopez >>> Mozgod/Black
2018 Randle > 2017 Randle
2018 Ingram >>> 2017 Ingram
KCP = or > Young
Ball = or > D'Angelo

2018 Luke > 2017 Luke

The problem is that 2018 West >>>>> 2017 West

2017 West >>>>>>> 2018 West

He left GS to join the Clippers
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

I have reason to believe that we will be better than last season. 👍🏾💯🏀
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma plays important minutes and is highly effective on both ends of the court at the 3 and 4.

We find out that "transcendent" is closer to incomparable than average.

Hart gets pt, impresses on D, and fits in on offense.

The offense plays faster than defenses can keep up with.

The key acquisitions, chemistry, and team speed leads to better overall defense than people realize.

Julius and/or Ingram play a lot better than they did last year.

Clarkson's work on his left hand and shot proves tailor made for Ball.

The shooters on the team shoot better han expected and make Lonzo's life easy.

More than one of the above prove true.

Last edited by lakersboy on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons why we might exceed expectations

SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
- We will have multiple players trying to showcase there talent
- We have 2 players in Ingram and Randle who are guaranteed to be in the MIP conversation
- Lonzo Ball looks like a Immediate Impact player

There is also reasons why we might have a losing season... but I think we are gonna be a real solid team who will compete for 48 minutes

1. There is a distinct difference between "there" and "their". Can't take you seriously until you figure it out

2. The last four years they've had players on expiring deals trying to showcase "their" talent and it didn't do squat for W's

3. Why is Randle in the convo for MIP? Because he lost weight? Has he worked with a psychologist about not giving up when he gets early fouls? Has he improved that hideous looking jump shot? Has he worked on his D?

4. LONZO is an immediate impact player because he tore up the SPl? I hope you're right, to me it was awesome to see but means 0 on Oct 19

I hate the whole "compete for 48 minutes" crap. These guys are multi millionaires-some deserving and some not. If you can't sell out for 48 go find another gig. Sticking to my 33-49 prediction as a peak. More likely 24-27 wins and 15 or 16 seed in the west

#1 why do people act as if most people don't mix up those words?

Quote:

Confusing Words: Their/There/They're, Who's/Whose
* Description/Instructions
Some words in our language regularly get confused for each other. "Their" is a possessive meaning belonging to them. "There" is a place. "They're" is a contraction for they are. "Who's" is a contraction for who is. "Whose" refers to the person that something belongs to.

^^common english speaking/writing confusing words and especially non 1st language english speakers/writers.

#4 Lonzo is an immediate impact player since everyone single stop he has had on his basketball career he has been an Immediate impact player.

Why would you keep doubting someone that keeps on proving you wrong? just to say you doubt it?

I need some of our basketball fans that know the sport to stop acting like they dont know the sport when it comes to certain players. You know there's a difference in HOW you impact the game. That HOW is what separates the people's games which translate vs those that do not. Lonzo balls special TYPE of passing the ball and getting rid of it quickly full court or half court translates.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

If my expectations are to win championships and become a new dynasty, how do the Lakers exceed that?
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

1. For all we know, Lonzo might be the greatest playmaker and passer in league history.

2. Ingram looked great in SL.

3. Kuzma >> Deng

4. Randle's contract year.

5. KCP plays D.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
1. For all we know, Lonzo might be the greatest playmaker and passer in league history.

2. Ingram looked great in SL.

3. Kuzma >> Deng

4. Randle's contract year.

5. KCP plays D.

Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma prove that SPL wasn't a fluke.
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

it all sounds great, guys. let's get the season rolling!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Ancient proverb states;

The best way to exceed expectations,

Is to keep them Low...

(OK, it wasn't an Ancient Proverb, it was me, but it does sound kinda cool, huh?)
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Given the fairly wide dispersion of LG fan projections for 2017-2018 (those predictions ranging from 32 wins through 46 wins, covering roughly 85% of the members), it seems that "exceeding expectations" is kinda a blurred concept. For me, exceeding expectations is already something baked into the meal for at least half of the members here already.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject:

there are 2 things that will shape Lakers this season:
1. there is no way to get 1st round pick back , so no point in tanking
2. as Lakers intend/hope to get 2 max FAs next summer, this season team has to play in a way that will attract FAs to come and sign, not solely because of money but because they want to play that way and help the team to go to the next level
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I have reason to believe that we will be better than last season. 👍🏾💯🏀

I see reasonable basis for hope that we will be better than last season. I also saw a fairly equivalent basis to see improvements this time last year, but the improvements I anticipated didn't come to pass. I am optimistic that the Lakers can improve their play enough - and can remain committed to pursuing wins rather than obtaining prime draft position - to improve their season record by ten games or so, by next Summer.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Season preview: Los Angeles Lakers

http://hoopshype.com/2017/08/25/season-preview-los-angeles-lakers/
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Given the fairly wide dispersion of LG fan projections for 2017-2018 (those predictions ranging from 32 wins through 46 wins, covering roughly 85% of the members), it seems that "exceeding expectations" is kinda a blurred concept. For me, exceeding expectations is already something baked into the meal for at least half of the members here already.

It says "exceed expectations", not "exceed OUR expectations".

ESPN projects the Lakers to win 33 games. I think those expectations will be exceeded!
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

The expectations have been raised. Honestly, 33-35 wins sounds about right. What I anticipate, though, is that it will be the most fun 33 wins you'll ever see, and shooters around the league will start to flock to it (I hope we sign Dunleavy). The Lonzo effect is real.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The expectations have been raised. Honestly, 33-35 wins sounds about right. What I anticipate, though, is that it will be the most fun 33 wins you'll ever see, and shooters around the league will start to flock to it (I hope we sign Dunleavy). The Lonzo effect is real.

That isn t the Lonzo effect. Win the State title as the nation's #1 ranked team. Transform the Bruins from a slow team with 15 (17?) wins, to 30+ wins by outscoring every other team andbeing the most efficient in 12 years, while not significantly improving the defense. The offense mostly centered around players who exceeded abilities. That and along with average to often poor defense, led to the 30+ wins and only 5 losses.

I can't conceive of much fun coming from a 35 win team. Fun is winning. If the Bruins had won 20 games, it wouldn't have been fun. SPL was fun because people couldn't figure out how to stop them and they won while playing fast. The 1st 2 games weren't fun.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

That isn t the Lonzo effect. Win the State title as the nation's #1 ranked team. Transform the Bruins from a slow team with 15 (17?) wins, to 30+ wins by outscoring every other team andbeing the most efficient in 12 years, while not significantly improving the defense. The offense mostly centered around players who exceeded abilities. That and along with average to often poor defense, led to the 30+ wins and only 5 losses.

I can't conceive of much fun coming from a 35 win team. Fun is winning. If the Bruins had won 20 games, it wouldn't have been fun. SPL was fun because people couldn't figure out how to stop them and they won while playing fast. The 1st 2 games weren't fun.

Did you ever see the 90's Knicks and Heat play? Winning a lot of games is not always fun, in fact, it could be some of the most boring crap you've ever seen.

But you're right. A 10 game-ish improvement would not be that transformational. I wouldn't lay that at his feet, however, considering the lack of competent shooters. A couple of those guys will be gone to start 2018-2019, so I'll consider it a hiccup.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Funny how people forget that last years team wins 33-35 games if not for game collapses and key injuries to Nance and Russell, so are you suggesting that the talent pool is the same as last years team even though we better at multiple positions?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Funny how people forget that last years team wins 33-35 games if not for game collapses and key injuries to Nance and Russell, so are you suggesting that the talent pool is the same as last years team even though we better at multiple positions?

They were predicted by almost everyone to win 25.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

This is why you need to factor in inexperience and injuries to your projections. If you don't, you'll have an inflated projection that reflects more of what you hope for than what will be.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Did you ever see the 90's Knicks and Heat play? Winning a lot of games is not always fun, in fact, it could be some of the most boring crap you've ever seen.

But you're right. A 10 game-ish improvement would not be that transformational. I wouldn't lay that at his feet, however, considering the lack of competent shooters. A couple of those guys will be gone to start 2018-2019, so I'll consider it a hiccup.
I saw all that slow down garbage.

I saw him bring out the best in shooters and scorers, outside and in. I expect the same because passing translates.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

1) Brook and KCP will be our best starting big and guard respectively since Kobe and Pau circa 2012-13.

Bryant tore his Achilles at the end of that season and the following year Pau didn't give a damn. Since then it's been a precession of Boozers, Wesley Johnsons and Jordan Hills. Lin (who Byron played behind Price) and Swaggy (who had 1.5 decent seasons in four years) were the best of the rest. Russell is in the conversation but he played most of his time here 20 or younger.

2) There is no incentive to Tank (thank all that is holy)

3) The West will be brutal which means we may be overlooked a lot. Since we're going to play with pace and movement, those nights we are hitting the long ball we're going to be a painful opponent.

4) Walton has a year under his belt. For all that has been said about his being a natural, there's no substitute to the real thing. The time running GS was a good taste, but that crew was on autopilot. This was the real deal.

Reasons we won't be that good......our top talent is inexperienced......the conference is brutally good....we have a lot of guys in contract years and LA has an open strategy to spend their money elsewhere. At what point do Jules, KCP and Brook start to look for their's....
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Kuzma plays important minutes and is highly effective on both ends of the court at the 3 and 4.

We find out that "transcendent" is closer to incomparable than average.

Hart gets pt, impresses on D, and fits in on offense.

The offense plays faster than defenses can keep up with.

The key acquisitions, chemistry, and team speed leads to better overall defense than people realize.

Julius and/or Ingram play a lot better than they did last year.

Clarkson's work on his left hand and shot proves tailor made for Ball.

The shooters on the team shoot better han expected and make Lonzo's life easy.

More than one of the above prove true.

I agree with your points, maybe not in that order. I think it's 50% how well Lonzo plays and 50% how much the rest of team improves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: