List of presenters for 2017 Hall of Fame Induction

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: List of presenters for 2017 Hall of Fame Induction

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/24/tracy-mcgrady-having-isiah-thomas-present-him-at-hall-of-fame-induction/

Quote:

Tracy McGrady having Isiah Thomas present him at Hall of Fame induction

In 1997, Isiah Thomas – an all-time great player who was then running the Raptors – drafted Tracy McGrady straight out of high school with the No. 9 pick and said, “He does the things that we all wish we could do.”

Twenty years later, Thomas will present McGrady at the latter’s Hall of Fame enshrinement.

One of the coolest things the Basketball Hall of Fame does is have inductees select a current member to introduce them. It’s always fascinating to see which greats share a connection.

McGrady and Thomas didn’t spend long together in Toronto. But after Thomas resigned in November of McGrady’s rookie year, McGrady called Thomas a “father figure.” Given Thomas’ willingness to mentor younger players, their relationship likely didn’t end there.

Here’s the full list of 2017 presenters, via a Basketball Hall of Fame release:

Zack Clayton, presented by Earl Monroe (‘90)

Nick Galis, presented by Bob McAdoo (‘00)

Robert Hughes, presented by Sheryl Swoopes (‘16)

Mannie Jackson, presented by Jerry Colangelo (‘04), Lynette Woodard (‘04), Russ Granik (‘13)

Tom Jernstedt, present by John Havlicek (‘84), Ann Meyers (‘93), Geno Auriemma (‘06)

Jerry Krause, presented by Jerry Reinsdorf (‘16)

Rebecca Lobo, presented by Geno Auriemma (‘06)

George McGinnis, presented Artis Gilmore (‘11), Reggie Miller (‘12), Bobby Leonard (‘14), Spencer Haywood (‘15)

Muffet McGraw, presented by Ann Meyers (‘93)

Tracy McGrady, presented by Isiah Thomas (‘00)

Bill Self, presented by Larry Brown (‘02)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Man, this is a weak Hall of Fame class.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I agree. I still remember when the HoF waiting list was so long even guys like Bob McAdoo couldn't get in.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject:

No way Tracy McGrady should be in the HoF.
Atrocious shooting, horrible team record, aloof personalty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I had to google a good number of these names. 2nd round virgin gets a HOF nod? Only ones in that list deserving are the execs and coaches.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree. I still remember when the HoF waiting list was so long even guys like Bob McAdoo couldn't get in.

The basketball Hall of Fame is weird. It isn't like the baseball hall of fame, where there are only so many votes, so players are affected by the competition on the ballot. The voting is done secretly, and no one knows why or how guys get in.

McGinnis has been eligible for what 25 years? Why he finally got in this year, I have no idea. But the Hall in recent years seems hellbent in putting all these borderline guys who have been around for years -- Zelmo Beatty, Jojo White, Spencer Hayward, Guy Rodgers, Bernard King, Jamaal Wilkes, Chet Walker, Artis Gilmore, Gus Johnson.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Even the women's inductee this year is a reach. I remember Rebecca Lobo for being one of the players on the women's 1996 Olympic Dream Team and one of the stars they marketed for the founding of the WNBA. However, she had an underwhelming pro career due to injuries.

If she's deserving of induction based on her college career and participation in the Olympics than Christian Laettner probably deserves to be inducted as well.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:

The basketball Hall of Fame is weird. It isn't like the baseball hall of fame, where there are only so many votes, so players are affected by the competition on the ballot. The voting is done secretly, and no one knows why or how guys get in.

McGinnis has been eligible for what 25 years? Why he finally got in this year, I have no idea. But the Hall in recent years seems hellbent in putting all these borderline guys who have been around for years -- Zelmo Beatty, Jojo White, Spencer Hayward, Guy Rodgers, Bernard King, Jamaal Wilkes, Chet Walker, Artis Gilmore, Gus Johnson.

It's been watered down. I'm not prick enough to not want these guys to have a feelgood moment and something they really want (it seems these guys want that HOF induction more than superstars), but what exactly is the HOF? Feels like getting in is a formality lately. It's apparent that the demand of holding the event every year is the ticket in for guys like Dumars, King, Jamaal, Dantley, Richmond, Iverson, Sampson, Mullin... Is World B. Free in there yet? Did they or will they ever let Michael Ray Richardson in there? Buck Williams? Jack Sikma had some great numbers for a good chunk of his career. Does the bar drop down to him? Vandeweghe had Mullin like stats for a good chunk of his career. Is he holdin his breath?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It's been watered down. I'm not prick enough to not want these guys to have a feelgood moment and something they really want (it seems these guys want that HOF induction more than superstars), but what exactly is the HOF? Feels like getting in is a formality lately. It's apparent that the demand of holding the event every year is the ticket in for guys like Dumars, King, Jamaal, Dantley, Richmond, Iverson, Sampson, Mullin... Is World B. Free in there yet? Did they or will they ever let Michael Ray Richardson in there? Buck Williams? Jack Sikma had some great numbers for a good chunk of his career. Does the bar drop down to him? Vandeweghe had Mullin like stats for a good chunk of his career. Is he holdin his breath?

They've pretty much let in everyone who was a borderline candidate by the traditional criteria of what was the borderline.

Right now the best guys who haven't made it are Jack Sikma, Tim Hardaway, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Maurice Cheeks, and Joe Johnson. That may be the new borderline.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Even the women's inductee this year is a reach. I remember Rebecca Lobo for being one of the players on the women's 1996 Olympic Dream Team and one of the stars they marketed for the founding of the WNBA. However, she had an underwhelming pro career due to injuries.

If she's deserving of induction based on her college career and participation in the Olympics than Christian Laettner probably deserves to be inducted as well.

Even all these years later, college is a lot more important than the WNBA to the women's game. In the case of Lobo, the WNBA did not even exist when she graduated from UConn. If the owners pull the plug on the WNBA, women college players will still get inducted into the HoF. You make a fair point about Laettner, but women's basketball in the '90s is more comparable to men's basketball in the '40s and '50s. There are a number of men from that era who were inducted based on their college careers. Even later, Bill Bradley did not make the HoF based on his NBA career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: