Hurricane Harvey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Once the waters recede after the storm, I'm afraid the casualty count will skyrocket.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The Hurricane Harvey Cattle Drive
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

This is a tragic story. It seems like a lot of deaths from any flood come from people trying to drive through flood waters, no matter how much everyone gets told not to do it.

http://www.khou.com/weather/harvey/family-of-6-drowns-inside-van-while-trying-to-escape-harvey-floods/468579903
microbe obliterator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Hurricane Harvey Cattle Drive

in the words of peter venkman: "now there's something you don't see everyday!"

stay safe, people (and animals) of SE Texas!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

The National Weather Service updates its color scheme to handle Harvey.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
its crazy, this thing was supposed to hit along the Mexican border and "maybe" make it to a Cat. 1 storm just 72 hours out.....then to turn and pick up that much strength that quickly makes it difficult to really prepare for.....

I recall Charlie was supposed to hit Tampa hard and cross the northern part of the state.....and Orlando hotels were completely full of Tampa residents that evacuated. Then about 12 hours out, it turned and hit Punta Gorda as a Cat. 4 and came straight over Orlando and was fairly destructive.....while Tampa barely got a couple inches of rain. Charlie was fast though....it crossed the entire state in a couple hours and was gone.

My spidey sense started tingling around Wednesday, so I hit the store to get some supplies. Thankfully, there was enough lead time for most folks in Houston to get ready. If it really drags on all week, or longer, it's going to be a problem.

I see people starting to second guess the local leadership for not ordering an evacuation. The local leadership remembers the Rita evacuation, which had about 100 fatalities. Evacuating 4-6 million people is a desperation move.

I remember the first hurricane I went through, someone told me to fill my bathtub with water. I was thinking what the heck? But with the local water system down, that water came in handy.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is a tragic story. It seems like a lot of deaths from any flood come from people trying to drive through flood waters, no matter how much everyone gets told not to do it.

http://www.khou.com/weather/harvey/family-of-6-drowns-inside-van-while-trying-to-escape-harvey-floods/468579903

That's incredibly sad.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Looks like a biblical event now....4+ foot of rain and still raining. That high pressure system is keeping the storm from dispersing inland so it just stays in the gulf circulating.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Looks like a biblical event now....4+ foot of rain and still raining. That high pressure system is keeping the storm from dispersing inland so it just stays in the gulf circulating.

https://twitter.com/MrAlanSpencer/status/902287854440562688

Quote:

Joel Osteen won't open his church that holds 16,000 to hurricane victims because it only provides shelter from taxes. #HoustonStrong
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Alternative NOAA‏ 
@altNOAA

If you went to @JoelOsteen's church for shelter & found it closed, don't worry, the Islamic Society of Greater Houston's 21 mosques are open
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

In Osteen's defense, there are conflicting reports as to whether or not the area surrounding the church is actually accessible. It could just be that it's not a viable place to shelter people.

http://www.snopes.com/is-osteens-megachurch-affected/

In other news, I just found out that (bleep) lives in a 10.5 million dollar house. In (bleep) Texas. Not Malibu or Beverley Hills.. Can't imagine what that place looks like...
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Also, looking at some of these pictures out of Houston, it is just insane how much water is being dumped on that city and the rest of Southeast Texas right now. Thoughts and prayers to those folks down there (even Dreamshake)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Is this the time to visit? Is this a photo op? Why is Melania wearing 6" stilettos?

AH has indicated Houston was ready for and able to handle Harvey.

Trump visiting now will mean resources needed to help the victims of the flood will be diverted to his protection.

Mr. President, the flood victims should come first, not your photo op

LINK

Quote:
By visiting right now, before the rains have even ended, Trump necessarily imposes burdens on state officials. The Los Angeles Times reports:

Trump hopes to show himself as a leader of action and efficiency. But his visit poses its own potential problems. Law enforcement, medical and other emergency officials are often wary of diverting critical resources to presidential security and logistics while major relief operations are still underway.

Presidential visits require ordering hospitals on stand-by, closing air space and supplementing federal security detail with state and local officers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Is this the time to visit? Is this a photo op? Why is Melania wearing 6" stilettos?

Trump visiting now will mean resources needed to help the victims of the flood will be diverted to his protection.

LINK

Quote:
By visiting right now, before the rains have even ended, Trump necessarily imposes burdens on state officials. The Los Angeles Times reports:

Trump hopes to show himself as a leader of action and efficiency. But his visit poses its own potential problems. Law enforcement, medical and other emergency officials are often wary of diverting critical resources to presidential security and logistics while major relief operations are still underway.

Presidential visits require ordering hospitals on stand-by, closing air space and supplementing federal security detail with state and local officers.

Quite frankly he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Taking too long to visit a disaster site could also bite him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Quite frankly he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Taking too long to visit a disaster site could also bite him.

Do you think this is the right time for a visit? IMO his being there at this time is more disruptive than helpful because resources have to be diverted for his protection.

As you said he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Prudance says do tjhe right thing. In his position knowing what's right and what's wrong is the reason he's the leader not the follower.

In the end taking flak goes with the territory.

SIDE NOTE;
Melania and Donald were the only one at he presser wearing baseball caps. Melania's said FLOUS Donald's said USA.

Something else I noticed, he made no mention of the victims. I don't think it was intentional, I think it was a sign of a inept leader.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Thats why you go on the air and on the internets and let everyone know that you want to come visit but doing so would divert their assistance. let them know you are sending all the aid/help possible to that area and as soon as the rain stops and the flood waters go back where they came from. he will be there on the ground. yes you will still have a fool or two trying to say something bad about that. but that would be the most professional thing he could do. keep it real and let the chips fall where they may. lie and try to get photo-ops and you get what you asked for.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Do you think this is the right time for a visit? IMO his being there at this time is more disruptive than helpful because resources have to be diverted for his protection.

As you said he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Prudance says do tjhe right thing. In his position knowing what's right and what's wrong is the reason he's the leader not the follower.

In the end taking flak goes with the territory.

SIDE NOTE;
Melania and Donald were the only one at he presser wearing baseball caps. Melania's said FLOUS Donald's said USA.

Something else I noticed, he made no mention of the victims. I don't think it was intentional, I think it was a sign of a inept leader.

I don't think he's made any mention of the victims at all.

He was in Corpus Cristi talking about how big the crowd was.

Right now he is in "rally mode" giving speeches and waiting for applause. But with his limited attention span, when the real work begins he will ignore it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

my understanding is they are trying to approach it the best way possible....staying away from Houston and other areas where there is a focus on immediate safety and rescue, but visiting state officials in Austin.....then will return to Houston later on in the week once they have began the recovery phase. If he waited until next week to even visit the state, his critics would have a field day painting him as "uncaring", etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

my understanding is they are trying to approach it the best way possible....staying away from Houston and other areas where there is a focus on immediate safety and rescue, but visiting state officials in Austin.....then will return to Houston later on in the week once they have began the recovery phase. If he waited until next week to even visit the state, his critics would have a field day painting him as "uncaring", etc.

Won't his visiting the state divert needed facilities from the affected areas?

The entire state is sending resources, including Austin. Some of those resources will be diverted to Trump.

splashmtn's suggestion of using social media, something he's adapt at to lend his presence without interference is sound to me.

Also he could use national news media to get the message out.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

any idea how bad its flooding near Uvalde Road and WallisVille Road?
I have property in that area and cant get ahold of anyone to get an idea of how its like in that particular area
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

If the Texas Governor asked him to visit then it is the right time
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

If the Texas Governor asked him to visit then it is the right time

Why, just because he's governor? Governors make poor judgments as do other officials. IMO the visit was a ill advised photo op. What purpose did the visit serve?

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Ah, it's good that the president of US visit disaster hit Texas. Let's leave it at that
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Ah, it's good that the president of US visit disaster hit Texas. Let's leave it at that

Honestly I'd rather he be there waving flags and crowing about crowd size than be tweeting fire and fury threats to North Korea while they fire missiles over Japan.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/263746662978166785
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: