Hurricane Harvey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Donald Trump signed away Obama-era flood standards just weeks before Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, in a bid to get infrastructure projects approved more quickly...

Obama's regulation meant roads, buildings and other infrastructure needed to be constructed to take climate change into account and be built to withstand the effects of such climate change, including rising sea levels in coastal areas....

Trump's decision to roll back the Federal Flood Risk Management Standard was praised by business groups, including the National Association of Home Builders, which said flood regulations had pushed up the cost of housing. But the decision was criticized by environmental groups, Reuters reports.

Rafael Lemaitre, former director of public affairs at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told the news service that Trump was undoing "the most significant action taken in a generation" to protect infrastructure from climate change.

"Eliminating this requirement is self-defeating. We can either build smarter now or put taxpayers on the hook to pay exponentially more when it floods. And it will," he added.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-signed-away-obamas-flood-risk-rules-weeks-hurricane-harvey-hit-655712

Basically because Obama mentioned "climate change" in this executive order Republicans hate it. Nevermind the fact that it would prevent people from continuously building in areas that SCIENTIFIC predictive models show will be impacted by flood in the coming years.

So, just remember that as he and his wife walk around Texas wearing "FLOTUS" hats and high heels.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
any idea how bad its flooding near Uvalde Road and WallisVille Road?
I have property in that area and cant get ahold of anyone to get an idea of how its like in that particular area

From what I've heard that area was heavily flooded, a friend of mine has family that lives in that area, but that was on Sunday I think.

I lost power yesterday but it was restored after a couple of hours, so far I'm pretty lucky because I know a couple of people who lost everything.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Is this the time to visit? Is this a photo op? Why is Melania wearing 6" stilettos?

AH has indicated Houston was ready for and able to handle Harvey.

Trump visiting now will mean resources needed to help the victims of the flood will be diverted to his protection.

Mr. President, the flood victims should come first, not your photo op

LINK

Quote:
By visiting right now, before the rains have even ended, Trump necessarily imposes burdens on state officials. The Los Angeles Times reports:

Trump hopes to show himself as a leader of action and efficiency. But his visit poses its own potential problems. Law enforcement, medical and other emergency officials are often wary of diverting critical resources to presidential security and logistics while major relief operations are still underway.

Presidential visits require ordering hospitals on stand-by, closing air space and supplementing federal security detail with state and local officers.

Quite frankly he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Taking too long to visit a disaster site could also bite him.

my understanding is they are trying to approach it the best way possible....staying away from Houston and other areas where there is a focus on immediate safety and rescue, but visiting state officials in Austin.....then will return to Houston later on in the week once they have began the recovery phase. If he waited until next week to even visit the state, his critics would have a field day painting him as "uncaring", etc.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/263746662978166785

not sure what your point is....the statement was referring to you and those that will always look for a way to criticize him....it had nothing to do with any hypocrisy on his part.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Is this the time to visit? Is this a photo op? Why is Melania wearing 6" stilettos?

Trump visiting now will mean resources needed to help the victims of the flood will be diverted to his protection.

LINK

Quote:
By visiting right now, before the rains have even ended, Trump necessarily imposes burdens on state officials. The Los Angeles Times reports:

Trump hopes to show himself as a leader of action and efficiency. But his visit poses its own potential problems. Law enforcement, medical and other emergency officials are often wary of diverting critical resources to presidential security and logistics while major relief operations are still underway.

Presidential visits require ordering hospitals on stand-by, closing air space and supplementing federal security detail with state and local officers.

Quite frankly he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Taking too long to visit a disaster site could also bite him.

my understanding is they are trying to approach it the best way possible....staying away from Houston and other areas where there is a focus on immediate safety and rescue, but visiting state officials in Austin.....then will return to Houston later on in the week once they have began the recovery phase. If he waited until next week to even visit the state, his critics would have a field day painting him as "uncaring", etc.

not sure what your point is....the statement was referring to you and those that will always look for a way to criticize him....it had nothing to do with any hypocrisy on his part.

I'm offended by your statement referring to me directly and not the subject of Presidential criticism. Please adhere to the guidelines.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Trump went nowhere near Houston and said nothing about anyone affected by it. But there were some good crowds.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Poor Trump, ppl are so unfair to him.

!...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

My power went out around 2 am Tuesday morning, came back up again after 14 hours, then went out again last night around 1 am. I had no internet access at all until a few minutes ago.

My part of town (Kingwood) held up pretty well. There must have been some problems nearby, as I saw a bunch of rescue helicopters going by. I live about a mile from the San Jacinto river, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the low lying neighborhoods got flooded out.

Other than a 2 x 2 chunk of my ceiling collapsing (apparently water got in around the chimney), I've made it through just fine. Hopefully, some of the grocery stores are opening up today. Not that many people planned on a full week of emergency rations. I went for a short drive yesterday, and I saw about 100 people in line outside of a Walmart that was operating even though the power was out.

As for Trump, I was blissfully unaware that he was here. This sort of scenario is a no-win situation for a president. He is not capable of doing anything meaningful to help, but there will be plenty of people looking to criticize him. If he shows up, he gets criticized. If he doesn't show up, he gets criticized even more. I have plenty of issues with Trump, but this isn't one of them.

This whole thing was pretty amazing. It just rained constantly, in varying degrees of intensity, for four days. Then last night around 6 pm, it just quit raining, and the sun peaked through the clouds for a few minutes. It drizzled some more during the night, but otherwise it was like someone pushed the Off button at 6 pm.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

If the Texas Governor asked him to visit then it is the right time

Why, just because he's governor? Governors make poor judgments as do other officials. IMO the visit was a ill advised photo op. What purpose did the visit serve?

No matter what happened it would be a poor decision to you l, so why not make that comment and move on? Yes, being the Governor of a State that supported you should be important. Do you know it wasn't flooding in Austin? That there weren't rescue operations in Corpus Cristi?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
My power went out around 2 am Tuesday morning, came back up again after 14 hours, then went out again last night around 1 am. I had no internet access at all until a few minutes ago.

My part of town (Kingwood) held up pretty well. There must have been some problems nearby, as I saw a bunch of rescue helicopters going by. I live about a mile from the San Jacinto river, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the low lying neighborhoods got flooded out.

Other than a 2 x 2 chunk of my ceiling collapsing (apparently water got in around the chimney), I've made it through just fine. Hopefully, some of the grocery stores are opening up today. Not that many people planned on a full week of emergency rations. I went for a short drive yesterday, and I saw about 100 people in line outside of a Walmart that was operating even though the power was out.

As for Trump, I was blissfully unaware that he was here. This sort of scenario is a no-win situation for a president. He is not capable of doing anything meaningful to help, but there will be plenty of people looking to criticize him. If he shows up, he gets criticized. If he doesn't show up, he gets criticized even more. I have plenty of issues with Trump, but this isn't one of them.

This whole thing was pretty amazing. It just rained constantly, in varying degrees of intensity, for four days. Then last night around 6 pm, it just quit raining, and the sun peaked through the clouds for a few minutes. It drizzled some more during the night, but otherwise it was like someone pushed the Off button at 6 pm.

My wife used to live in Kingwood and we were looking at the photos today. Insane. Glad you are okay, AH.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

The aftermath of a flood like this is stunning. I spent 2 months doing hazardous materials clean up after Katrina and the devastation was horrible. I had lived in South LA in the mid 80's and after Katrina, I hardly recognized the area.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

This before/after is ridiculous:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/30/us/interstate-10-photo-harvey-trnd/index.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

If the Texas Governor asked him to visit then it is the right time

Why, just because he's governor? Governors make poor judgments as do other officials. IMO the visit was a ill advised photo op. What purpose did the visit serve?

No matter what happened it would be a poor decision to you l, so why not make that comment and move on? Yes, being the Governor of a State that supported you should be important. Do you know it wasn't flooding in Austin? That there weren't rescue operations in Corpus Cristi?

He was damned if he did damned if he didn't. IMO it was a PO, I could be wrong.

The entire state of Texas sent resources to Huston. IMO Trumps visit was unnecessary at this point in time.

I thought splashmtn's suggestion, using social media and national news outlets to give support was a good idea.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
My wife used to live in Kingwood and we were looking at the photos today. Insane. Glad you are okay, AH.

I live in Trailwood, which is one of the oldest villages, about two miles from Highway 59 off of Kingwood Drive. Your wife will know right where that is. Kingwood was built by Exxon in a forest on top of the old Humble oil field. The older villages were all built on high ground. As Kingwood expanded, the developers built some expensive houses in low lying areas. Those are the people who got pounded.

There is a lesson here for everyone, regardless of where you live. When you see new development popping up on the fringes of existing development, ask why the original developer didn't build there.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Those pictures are from Winnie, which is about 30 miles east of the Houston metropolitan area. A lot of that is probably storm surge from the Gulf. There's a reason why Houston is inland with a ship channel to Galveston Bay. The storm surge from the 1900 hurricane drowned around 10,000 people in Galveston.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Raijin wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

I'm offended by your statement referring to me directly and not the subject of Presidential criticism. Please adhere to the guidelines.

your correct, I should have not included "you"...my apologies
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The entire state of Texas sent resources to Huston. IMO Trumps visit was unnecessary at this point in time.

I thought splashmtn's suggestion, using social media and national news outlets to give support was a good idea.

Again, I'll defend Trump on this one. This is what the President is supposed to do. It is a symbolic gesture, and yes a photo opp, but he'd get blasted if he didn't show up. Remember what happened to Dub with Katina. Like everything else, this will get politicized, but for once Trump made the right call.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

that is unbelievable.....like really if i was unaware of how bad it was, and you showed me those pictures in a vacuum, I doubt I would believe it was real.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Again, I'll defend Trump on this one. This is what the President is supposed to do. It is a symbolic gesture, and yes a photo opp, but he'd get blasted if he didn't show up. Remember what happened to Dub with Katina. Like everything else, this will get politicized, but for once Trump made the right call.

It's the first step in getting "everything" rolling towards relief & rebuild after the rescue part is over. I just hope the rest of the steps are taken as quickly.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I admit to not WANTING to give Trump credit for anything, I'm guilty. I think it was a PO but maybe, just maybe it was the right thing to do.

Having said that I still think the visit was ill timed because it took resources from those who needed them.

Quote:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

That Ted Cruz is a lying despicable piece of (bleep)!!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Waiting around for a chemical plant to explode
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Waiting around for a chemical plant to explode

Are you a safe distance from the plant?

Awesome pictures. Man feeding his monkey was something. LINK

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

I liked this one.

Somewhere along the line, I saw a news clip about Houston's special high-water rescue vehicle. They couldn't use it because the water was too high. They were afraid that the engine would get flooded.

When I went out foraging for food this afternoon, I found that Highway 59 (which is in the process of being converted to I-69) was underwater near where I live. Please understand that I've been through a lot of floods in this town. I've never seen anything close to that. The water must be 8-10 feet higher than I've ever seen it before.

Oh, and as for the chemical plant, there's really nothing in that corner of the county. It's about 20 miles away as the crow flies, but the crow would probably get bored and fly somewhere else.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Dude, glad you're okay. The pictures of the freeways flooding is bananas.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

What's a few hundred tons of chemical emissions among friends?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: