SPOF analysis

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: SPOF analysis

Engineers, planners and business managers often perform an SPOF (Single Point of Failure) analysis on an operation, an organization or a project plan. The goal of a SPOF analysis is identification of that factor which exists and represents extremely high (or the highest) risk of causing - by itself - an imminent project failure or intolerable unreliability.

If one were to look at the Lakers from that standpoint, what factor might we find as the standout single point of failure ?

I'm suggesting that it would be discovered that Lonzo Ball's health (in terms of both his continual availability and his overall capability of operating near his physical potential) represents the highest risk of season failure to the Lakers in the 2017-2018 season.

There's no real backup plan to him going down or any sort of his suffering a physical debilitation. There clearly is no real alternative on board to him, in terms of there being an anyone who even marginally represents either an equivalent source of leadership and a reasonable proponent of change. He even represents the Lakers' best chance of evaluating potential of other personnel.

If what is expected of the team this season is either measurable improvement in the W-L record - or a period of evaluation of potential and fit of the other players - Lonzo will have to be healthy and stay healthy to fulfill those expectations.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

I agree 100%. In fact, without knowing the term of SPOF, I was thinking the exact same thing recently--how Lonzo's health is key to the season.

One interesting point is that all other players improvements are being discussed in relationship to Lonzo, e.g., Randle/KCP/Ingram/Zu/Lopez will all shine playing next to Lonzo. I feel like if Lonzo could play at a high level 48 minutes a game, we would be one of the best teams in the league. But, thanks for reminding us that the Lakers will need to monitor his minutes to avoid the dreaded SPOF!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

Ball has not played a single NBA game. While the summer league changed me from a skeptic into a believer, it is unreasonable to expect Ball to be indispensable as a rookie. If we were looking at the team in a three year window, I'd agree with you. If Ball busts for whatever reason, we'd most likely need to start over. But in a one year window, it is not essential that a Ball be healthy all year.

For the coming season, I would say that the SPOF is Ingram. He is the key to winning more games this year, and perhaps more importantly he is the key to making the team a credible landing spot for top free agents. If Ingram shows himself to be on a star trajectory, and if Ball has a decent rookie season (even if he misses time due to injuries), we're on our way.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

SPOF - Magic talking to George and leaving a trail.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

Ide say Luke

It's a much better team on paper this year. It's up to Luke to put it all together
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

:yawn:
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

I think Brook will be counted on as our #1 scoring option, then Ingram then KCP. I agree Lonzo is the straw that stirs this whole drink.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

It is always injury, that can make or derail a season.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

I'd put both Ball and Ingram about equal weight on the SPOF list, I guess that would make it MPOF though. I think Ingram has a higher bar to clear in showing that he's a veteran, he's added strength, and he can show he's on his way to being the dominant force at the 3 position that everyone thought he could be when we drafted him, and to inspire confidence of FA's looking for an up-and-coming team to land on.

Lonzo is vital though, and does have to show that his transcendental court vision and talent shown at UCLA and in Summer League translates to the NBA. Still, he'll get some slack for being a rookie, making rookie mistakes, or playing limited minutes unlike Ingram. Different bars to clear, equal importance they clear them imo.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

#NotMagic 😜
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

If I had to pin my hopes for next season on the play and fate of one Laker, yeah, it would be on Lonzo. His subtraction from the season (or dimunition through injury) would feel enormously deflating, just huge, like hitting the reset button to go with only last year's players again. I don't see KCP in the conversation for that, nor Ingram in the same way.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ball has not played a single NBA game. While the summer league changed me from a skeptic into a believer, it is unreasonable to expect Ball to be indispensable as a rookie. If we were looking at the team in a three year window, I'd agree with you. If Ball busts for whatever reason, we'd most likely need to start over. But in a one year window, it is not essential that a Ball be healthy all year.

For the coming season, I would say that the SPOF is Ingram. He is the key to winning more games this year, and perhaps more importantly he is the key to making the team a credible landing spot for top free agents. If Ingram shows himself to be on a star trajectory, and if Ball has a decent rookie season (even if he misses time due to injuries), we're on our way.

I'd agree with this. If Ball has some rookie struggles, no one is going to write him off. He just needs to be good while showing potential to become better. He doesn't need to play at an all-star level out of the gate.

If Ingram doesn't show some significant improvement in his second season, he'll become a complete non-factor in motivating free agents to come here.

I also agree that W-L are not nearly as important as developing a base of good young players that free agents want to be with. If win a few games because Lopez and Caldwell-Pope play well that doesn't improve our long term fortunes
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

The lakers shooting coach. Outside of Lopez I think everybody shoots pretty terrible percentages.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: