Quotes from the Other Side: Paul George Down Payment Edition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Quotes from the Other Side: Paul George Down Payment Edition

Shoutout to Yinoma for the down payment joke

Pacers

Before the Fine

Quote:
I'm 99.9% sure the Lakers Management did tamper with PG through his agent and there were reports that Johnson met with members of PG's family.

Light them up Commish!

Quote:
I am actually really stoked that this is happening.

Quote:
You guys know your ownership, they can't waste money over a frivolous suit. They have evidence.

Quote:
Now we're talking.

If found guilty I think the Lakers should be stripped of their rights to negotiate with the said player during free agency.

Not likely, though.

Quote:
I think they have the goods on Johnson and the Lakers, this was not a knee jerk reaction to file charges. This has been 2 months now, and even back to the Trade dead line 2017, when I believe the real damage happened.

Quote:
Not surprised at all we brought the charges. KP hinted at it pretty heavily at the lunch I attended the day after the draft. He even refused to say the name Lakers. Dude was/is super pissed.

KP was adamant that someone had changed Paul George's mind. I know this seems like a petty thing, but I really doubt Pacers bring these charges without thinking they can make them stick.

If they don't stick then the Pacers come out looking really bad. If they do stick, Lakers look horrible and Paul George looks like an easily manipulated doofus. So you only bring the charges if you think you can win IMO.

Quote:
The NBA can and if they find LA guilty most likely will ban PG from signing there next summer. That sends a strong enough message not to **** with another team's player.

Quote:
If there's something there the other 28 owners will want LA punished because it will affect them as well if nothing comes of it.

Quote:
Every media article I read about this just makes me want a guilty of tampering decision reached THAT much more.

Insufferable how easily so many just write this off as business as normal and sour grapes. It's not.

Quote:
best punishment is paul george cannot play for the lakers for 3years....

that will definetely send the message around the leauge.
Quote:
I am usually the type that would say the pacers should just drop this and move on, but something about this whole thing, that has me ready for battle, so I say bring it on, inflict some pain on the Lakers. Make um bleed.

Quote:
If its just draft picks it wont send the message..

being tough should be prohibiton of the player to play for the guilty team for 2 to 3 years... thats being tough.

Quote:
I don't care if Paul came out in a Lakers cap with his Kobe Bryant jersey on and announced to the world that he got a Lakers cheerleader pregnant so he will be signing with them when his contract is up, IF MAGIC CONTACTED PAUL IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM WHILE UNDER CONTRACT WITH THE INDIANA PACERS IT'S TAMPERING AND WE SHOULD BE COMPENSATED IN SOME WAY!

Quote:
It just reeks of Magic waltzing into the job and on day one thinking normal rules don't apply to him because he's the lovable Magic Johnson running the world famous Los Angeles Lakers with that lovable grin on his face. He's Earv, one of the best players ever who is also a successful businessman. He should be able to bend the rules a bit when dealing with a player on a flyover country franchise, right?

I know a lot of people didn't like Bird's bluntness, but I always felt he respected the business of the league and never tried to use his stature to bend rules or **** on other franchises.

After the Fine

Quote:
Damn I hoping they would of fined Magic because it would of sky rocketed my Salt stock more then when Trump beat Clinton.

Quote:
Like predicted.... 500k fine. Slap on the wrist.

Quote:
Substantial to us me yes lol. But NBA teams pay more than that to acquire a 2nd round pick they may cut. In the grand scheme of things not a big deal.

Quote:
The NBA is an absolute joke. How sad.

Quote:
$500K is a less than even a slap on the wrist for the Lakers. A GM is allowed to have direct contact with Paul George's agent prior, and this is the best we can do. Both PG and his agent are probably laughing right now.

Quote:
No compensation for Indy and no restrictions on LA signing PG.

No comfort for the Pacers.

Quote:
Wow...so the Lakers basically had a verbal commitment that Paul George will sign with them in 2018? That's some ********, and all they get is a slap on the wrist?

Quote:
Moral victory!1! We showed the entire basketball world you cannot mess around with our PACERS. Now, lets celebrate!!1!

Quote:
Don't **** on me and tell me it's raining, be at least honest about it.

Quote:

Well, at least our teams (Pacers, Colts) are getting good at exposing cheaters.

I've just about had it with this league.

Quote:
P.S. **** the Lakers.

Reactions Around the League

Quote:
[Sixers] Lol, slap on the wrist.

Quote:
f this is the precedent for how these will be handled, couldn't pretty much every team just bite the bullet and pay $500,000 for a head start on recruiting?

Quote:
[Heat] Literally like 20 bucks for them.

Quote:
Should count against the cap for every year the tampered with player is on their roster.

Quote:
[Sixers] Idk if they were trying to send a message because this is the second largest tampering fine in league history, but it's just so meaningless to multi-billion dollar franchises.

Quote:
[Celtics and Patriots fan] All their titles are tainted now. That's how this works, right?

Quote:
[Clippers] That's a really weak slap on the wrist. They should be prohibited from signing George in free agency next offseason, since that was the actual goal of their tampering.

Quote:
I wonder when players are going to be held accountable for this. There are two parties involved. We've reached the point where everyone realizes it's a business for both owners and players, no loyalty, etc, so hold everyone involved accountable.

Quote:
[Celtics] If you can prove it, i'd like to keep him from signing there

Protips: Raptors were never going to be on TV anyway buddy

Quote:
Lakers tampering leads to $500,000 fine.

If Raptors tamper, it will probably lead to a $50,000,000 fine, plus foregoing 10 years of first round draft picks and automatic waiving of DeRozan, Lowry and Ibaka. And Raptors games won't be allowed to be shown on TV.

Quote:
[Celtics and Patriots fan] You're dumb enough to get caught then it should be a black mark on your team.

Quote:
[Nets] This $500,000 fine will teach that team worth $3 billion!

Quote:
[Clippers] I've never liked fines as punishments in these types of situations, because they're just the cost of doing business for the offending team. You have to hit them where it hurts if you want them to change their behavior.

Quote:
[Sixers] This was a weak punishment.They broke the rules and it honestly probably directly or indirectly impacted the return the Pacers got for Paul George. If they found something, this needed to be harsher especially since it happened once before.

Quote:
hat was lame

if that was soviet russia they would execute magic johnson in front of the audience of 10000

if he dies he dies, looking ass mofo

Quote:
[Clippers] It's about the punishment matching the crime, as well as maintaining competitive balance. With the precedent Silver has now set, the Clippers might as well start tampering now with every big-name free agent in the coming years

Quote:
[Bulls] Well now the Lakers still suck, but have less pocket change.

Quote:
[Spurs] $500,000? That's basically wipe my you-know-what money to the Lakers. They should've taken away 2 2nd rounders on top of that.

Quote:
lol, basically 500k means "tamper away"

Quote:
that's a pocket change if tampering worked. so NBA basically says do it, it wont cost you much.

Quote:
If it were up to me, the Lakers could keep their money, but they just wouldn't be allowed to sign Paul George in 2018. No fuss, no muss.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the quotes. I, for one, would love to sweep this under the rug. Lakers don't need more bad press with the league ....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe that these other fans do not understand that tampering is rampant in the nba. and it happens all the time. It's just that other teams dont cry foul about it since its usually not some small market team and their last main gun, telling them that he's leaving them in the summer to go home to the famous super franchise in the big market of L.A.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

These guys are making me .

All of them want to see the Lakers lose so they will twist logic to fit their agenda

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Delicious
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Wow LOL at fans so full of vitriol at a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 4 years for doing exactly what their own teams FO's likely do all the time.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Delicious
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

There was no proof of tampering, but it's not a court of law and it looked bad so hence a fine. Not that these fans care.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

You know the Lakers are menacing again when you can feel the HATE around the league.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Thank You OP! That must have been time consuming on your part!

With that said... I say...

"Good. Good. Let the hate flow through you..."
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Thank You OP! That must have been time consuming on your part!

With that said... I say...

"Good. Good. Let the hate flow through you..."

I had some time to kill at work, so thought I'd share some laughs with everyone. Hopefully I can make a lot of these QFTOS during the season
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

The small market teams and owners will crap on the Lakers any chance they get, whether the team is good or not.

Yet they gladly take all that money when the team rolls into town and sells out their sad franchise's home game for the first time in weeks.

They'll also happily take that revenue sharing money the Lakers provide. Ungrateful bastages.

Bye.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks OP. Keep them coming
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
The small market teams and owners will crap on the Lakers any chance they get, whether the team is good or not.

Yet they gladly take all that money when the team rolls into town and sells out their sad franchise's home game for the first time in weeks.

They'll also happily take that revenue sharing money the Lakers provide. Ungrateful bastages.

Bye.

Except when they're cashing the revenue sharing checks we write.

To me...that's the next battle...and one Jeannie better put these petty folks in their place on.

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie negotiated revenue sharing, Dr. Buss recognized that it was good for the health of the league.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Gold, pure gold.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jeanie negotiated revenue sharing, Dr. Buss recognized that it was good for the health of the league.

I never understood why the Lakers have to give money to these small market teams. It's only us or every big market team have to take care of them as well?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
I can't believe that these other fans do not understand that tampering is rampant in the nba. and it happens all the time. It's just that other teams dont cry foul about it since its usually not some small market team and their last main gun, telling them that he's leaving them in the summer to go home to the famous super franchise in the big market of L.A.

OH, they all know but they want to try to hit us while we are down.

When they do it, it's everyone look away and whistle. When we do it, they are all up in our face like a bunch of antifa!!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
There was no proof of tampering, but it's not a court of law and it looked bad so hence a fine. Not that these fans care.

Plus, the Lakers have historically had one of the best track records w.r.t. tampering, thanks to Mitch. But of course, these fan don't care about that.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

Bye.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I never understood why the Lakers have to give money to these small market teams. It's only us or every big market team have to take care of them as well?

All the large market teams, though I don't know the breakdown. An 8- team league would be boring. As I posted, Dr. Buss supported it. He wouldn't make much money if the league folded.

Edit: all teams put 50% of their revenue (minus certain operating expenses) into a pool. At the end of the season they determine the average team salary and if a team's portion of revenue in the pool is less than the average salary, they get that difference out of the pool. For example, if the average team salary is $50 mil and team A contributes $38 mil to the pool, they get $12 mil from it. If team B contributed $65 mil to the pool, $15 mil remains in the pool.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

The salt is tasting good right now.

It will taste even better once Paul George signs with the Lakers.

Tampering? More like a guy exercising his free agent rights, but whatever.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

That Celtics/Pats fan is basically a hypocrite by saying that all of our championships are "tainted" because we allegedly cheated. The Celtics cheated all through the 2008 season and in the finals when they beat us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: