Kevin Pritchard, Lebron James, D'Angelo Russell, and the Legacy of the NBA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Kevin Pritchard, Lebron James, D'Angelo Russell, and the Legacy of the NBA

The recent combination of events led me to realize a few things about the Lakers and the state of the league going forward, so I'm just gonna jump in. There's a lot to parse, this is a big one. Thanks guys.

Rob Pelinka got fined because he expressed interest in Paul George while he was under contract, yet there’s no rule preventing players from talking about teaming up or playing with a desired team. The reason Pelinka got fined was because we didn’t have a committed player with gravitas to use as a proxy recruiter, but that’s most likely going to change next July. While PG is a phenomenal player, he doesn’t come across as a recruiter.

So, if we wanted the best player recruiter we could get on the market next year, who would that be? None other than Lebron James. The fact that he’s also the best player in the world (and will likely be top 5 in his mid-30’s) is beside the point. I think far too many people are either misunderstanding Lebron’s intentions going forward, or are not considering the best way for him to achieve his goals.

Let’s think about owner (and more generally FO) motivation versus player motivation. Owners are not the product. They’re typically not household names nationally. They’re loosely responsible for making sure their organization is successful, and are involved with day-to-day to a varying degree, some not at all. Most importantly, the success of an owner is most contingent on the state of a closed and extremely complicated system, which includes player movement, league revenues through TV deals, team success (championships). This means that, ironically, the dominant tendency for an owner would be to consolidate more power as they feel less in control regardless of whether or not they actually are.

In contrast, a player has spent the majority of his life working bottom-up, perfecting his own craft through repetitive lonely hours in the gym. A player’s success is contingent on less than two decades of concentrated physical and mental labor. He takes the most risk and, relative to ownership, gets paid little reward. It’s not hard to see why a player may therefore feel powerless by himself and would want to tend towards more systemic and organizational power.

What we’ve seen in the league in the past decade with increased analytics fueling decision-making and players “taking control of their own destiny” is a microcosm of changing business practice, spearheaded by the tech industry. We should expect NBA organizations to follow suit in terms of becoming more efficient, but there’s still room for the NBA to pioneer sports organization practices. Consider the disparity of the money owners bring in versus players. What would happen hypothetically if Magic placed himself on a salary, however symbolic, of a max contract a player can receive? What if wealth was redistributed such that the little guys in the organization (ushers, video coordinators, PR) were compensated better and valued more?

Not saying this is what’s coming, but something big and unprecedented is coming. And you better believe it’s Magic’s and Jeanie’s intention be at the forefront, to be the pioneers of revolutionizing the league like Dr. Buss, to bring the Lakers to the wheel again. Basketball is so much more than basketball.

So now we come back to Lebron, who by his past actions seems to be very much in line with the movement I’m describing. What gives him the most long-term influence? What jabs at Jordan’s legacy if winning 7 titles is out of the question? Revolutionizing the league. Growing it in unprecedented ways. Changing the landscape of American sports. At some point he knew he would be done winning titles, and I think he’s planned for it beautifully.

I also wanted to connect this to Kevin Pritchard’s behavior, and the general entitlement of front offices who behave as if they’ve been horribly betrayed when a player wants out. I understand it now. It’s impossible to treat players as equals when such a wealth, motivational, and experiential disparity exists. Players to front offices are a fraternity that discusses plans and keeps them under wraps until they have opportunities to bounce from cities to cities and seek more structured expressions of power rather than being the big fish in a small pond. In this sense, front offices are always insecure and left out of the loop, and thus exhibit jealous and spiteful behavior.

I think this also provides some perspective on D’Angelo. When reporters were saying his image is tainted around the league, I didn’t fully understand why that would be the case. It was just an honest mistake, and Nick Young forgave him. What I didn’t realize was that players were imagining D’Angelo “playfully” recording them talking about free agent team-ups, forcing trades, etc. and that somehow getting out and compromising their careers. Is it really a coincidence that DLo is shipped out so early amidst the Paul George rumors?

The players know Lebron is leaving. PG and Butler avoided Cleveland like the plague. Everyone is operating under the assumption that he’s gone. It’s the worst kept secret in basketball. “He hasn’t made up his mind yet” is total horse (bleep) meant to keep Cleveland’s heart whole; it’s the ultimate “I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about it” line in a Player’s Tribune article on leaving a city. It’s already planned. We’re just not privy to it. But judging by how much the goals of the Lakers align with Lebron’s, it seems like a no-brainer. Even if there is a better win-now basketball situation (SA) or a better long-term juggernaut solution (Philly arguably), this decision has little to do with on-court basketball.

Not all players are down with this movement though, evidently. Some are comfortable with the things they can control individually, and focus on bettering their craft. I believe Kyrie’s this way. Kobe was maybe the last example of this. Honorable mention goes to Demar Derozan (with a similar play style) was also quoted as wanting to be the “big fish in a small pond”.

It remains to be seen if Magic, Pelinka, and the Buss family will be able to cooperate with Lebron and the players to come to become pioneers of the league again, to wrestle that mantle away from the Warriors. As I’ve expressed before, I just hope Ball and Ingram don’t fall victim to those dreams in the process. Especially Ingram, who has got a lot of weight on those skinny shoulders.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Great analysis!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

1. I think you misunderstand Lebron's motivations. You assume that his prime motivation is his career/Jordan's legacy. That's the way fans think, and it may be true of some players. But I think Lebron has much grander motivations. I think he wants to become a billionaire entrepreneur with his fingers in everything from real estate to entertainment. If Lebron comes to LA, it will be about branding, no matter what he says.

2. You overstate Lebron's effect as a recruiter. Yes, he and Wade recruited Bosh for the Heat. But who did he recruit for the Cavs? Really no one. He used his leverage to make the Cavs' front office do what he wanted. Who is he going to recruit for the Lakers? The only major piece that might realistically be in play in Westbrook. Lebron + George + the kids is a playoff team, but not a juggernaut.

3. Your theory about Russell strikes me as a reach. This sort of stuff doesn't get discussed in locker rooms during the season,
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
1. I think you misunderstand Lebron's motivations. You assume that his prime motivation is his career/Jordan's legacy. That's the way fans think, and it may be true of some players. But I think Lebron has much grander motivations. I think he wants to become a billionaire entrepreneur with his fingers in everything from real estate to entertainment. If Lebron comes to LA, it will be about branding, no matter what he says.

2. You overstate Lebron's effect as a recruiter. Yes, he and Wade recruited Bosh for the Heat. But who did he recruit for the Cavs? Really no one. He used his leverage to make the Cavs' front office do what he wanted. Who is he going to recruit for the Lakers? The only major piece that might realistically be in play in Westbrook. Lebron + George + the kids is a playoff team, but not a juggernaut.

3. Your theory about Russell strikes me as a reach. This sort of stuff doesn't get discussed in locker rooms during the season,

LeBron may not become a super recruiter, but think about it this way: this year the Lakers didn't even have one veteran player who could help at all with recruitment. If Magic and Oelinka wanted to avoid direct tampering with PG, what player could they have sent in their place?? At least with one major acquisition, the Lakers would have someone to help recruit others.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Don't agree with the Russell stuff.. if we didn't have the Mozzy and Deng contracts, he'd be here.

I do agree that LeBron wants to change the landscape of the NBA to be a player controlled league. The NBA is just about there and that is already a big portion of LeBron leaving, KD leaving, stars demanding trades, etc. LeBron most certainly wants to raise the status of the NBA player to be able to make his own decision on where to play and for whatever reasons he sees fit.

No doubt he wants that part of his legacy and yes many teams are wayyyy behind the curve in wanting to control players.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Don't care about dlo at all.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject:

The Russell, Booker, KAT trio is going to be killer in a few years.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

1. I agree with you that Lebron has much grander motivations, and that's what I was talking about in my post. Maybe I didn't convey it clearly, but like you said, it's about transcending the game and becoming so much more than just a player. That's where the Jordan comparisons come from to me. MJ's legacy is also making basketball global, being a global icon and growing the league's revenue in unprecedented ways.

I think this is Lebron's "logical conclusion" if you will, but his change of the paradigm will be different. We've already seen some of it with the player empowerment stuff, but I'm anticipating some kind of business moves. Maybe it's production deals or ownership stakes, but I have this feeling that a Lebron-LA partnership is going to change how NBA orgs handle things for decades to come.

2. He recruited Love to the Cavs, or so the story goes.

3. The Russell stuff I'm less confident about, but regardless, creating open , cooperative, and communicative environments is what this FO seems to be about. Russell wasn't that. And by a lot of indications, a lot of NBA players didn't want to communicate with him either. Even with Mozdeng on the books, there was still an issue of culture fit.u
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Don't agree with the Russell stuff.. if we didn't have the Mozzy and Deng contracts, he'd be here.

I do agree that LeBron wants to change the landscape of the NBA to be a player controlled league. The NBA is just about there and that is already a big portion of LeBron leaving, KD leaving, stars demanding trades, etc. LeBron most certainly wants to raise the status of the NBA player to be able to make his own decision on where to play and for whatever reasons he sees fit.

No doubt he wants that part of his legacy and yes many teams are wayyyy behind the curve in wanting to control players.

KD is especially interesting. Part of the Warriors appeal was investing in Silicon Valley. There's this more egalitarian air about that organization (at least at the top) where players feel more like partners than paid contractors in a rigid vertical hierarchy. It manifests in their game. They've changed so much about sports. I think now the Lakers want to take it further a few steps.

It takes a FO willing to think this way. It's not that Lebron doesn't want to do it in Cleveland, it's that he literally can't do it in Cleveland because Dan Gilbert is well... you know.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

dis tew minny fax rite hyear
Sharoon Francis
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject:

I can actually totally believe that the move to get rid of DLo wasn't about anything else other than getting rid of a locker room cancer.

And a locker room cancer DLo truly was.

I don't know anything about how the rest of you operate in life, but even when I was in kindergarten, I didn't go around recording conversations with my partners in crime (in video format no less) and then leaking it to TMZ for giggles, and then go on Twitter to throw a hissy fit about the backlash.

All I"m saying is that we, as Lakers fan, are truly lucky how we were able to salvage a locker room cancer for the dumping of Mozgov's contract and turning it into Kyle Kuzma *AND* getting a stretch center in Brook Lopez.

I mean, at least someday DLo will be able to find solace in not being a completely useless No. 2 pick.

Who knows, if he weren't a locker room cancer, he would've had enough utility to dump the Deng contract as well.

Ah, what could've been.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject:

Sharoon Francis wrote:
I can actually totally believe that the move to get rid of DLo wasn't about anything else other than getting rid of a locker room cancer.

And a locker room cancer DLo truly was.

I don't know anything about how the rest of you operate in life, but even when I was in kindergarten, I didn't go around recording conversations with my partners in crime (in video format no less) and then leaking it to TMZ for giggles, and then go on Twitter to throw a hissy fit about the backlash.

All I"m saying is that we, as Lakers fan, are truly lucky how we were able to salvage a locker room cancer for the dumping of Mozgov's contract and turning it into Kyle Kuzma *AND* getting a stretch center in Brook Lopez.

I mean, at least someday DLo will be able to find solace in not being a completely useless No. 2 pick.

Who knows, if he weren't a locker room cancer, he would've had enough utility to dump the Deng contract as well.

Ah, what could've been.

Please link to a credible report that Russell leaked the video himself.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
LeBron may not become a super recruiter, but think about it this way: this year the Lakers didn't even have one veteran player who could help at all with recruitment. If Magic and Oelinka wanted to avoid direct tampering with PG, what player could they have sent in their place?? At least with one major acquisition, the Lakers would have someone to help recruit others.

Whoa. Teams can't do that. That is tampering, and the NBA would hit have hit us with a pile driver if we did something like that. Just because players can talk among themselves does not mean that teams can use players as surrogates.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
1. I agree with you that Lebron has much grander motivations, and that's what I was talking about in my post. Maybe I didn't convey it clearly, but like you said, it's about transcending the game and becoming so much more than just a player. That's where the Jordan comparisons come from to me. MJ's legacy is also making basketball global, being a global icon and growing the league's revenue in unprecedented ways.

I think this is Lebron's "logical conclusion" if you will, but his change of the paradigm will be different. We've already seen some of it with the player empowerment stuff, but I'm anticipating some kind of business moves. Maybe it's production deals or ownership stakes, but I have this feeling that a Lebron-LA partnership is going to change how NBA orgs handle things for decades to come.

It is a considerable stretch to think that anything Lebron will do with the Lakers is going to change the paradigm in the NBA. Lebron has reasons to come to LA for branding purposes. We had another poster who just wouldn't stop talking about his theories concerning Space Jam 2. Okay. But none of that has anything to do with the Lakers. For that matter, it is not unprecedented. Snaq came to LA, at least in part, because he wanted to make movies.

levon wrote:

No, he didn't. The Cavs traded for Love.

levon wrote:
3. The Russell stuff I'm less confident about, but regardless, creating open , cooperative, and communicative environments is what this FO seems to be about. Russell wasn't that. And by a lot of indications, a lot of NBA players didn't want to communicate with him either. Even with Mozdeng on the books, there was still an issue of culture fit.u

Well, yeah, I do get the impression that Russell was regarded as an ass. That's a different ballgame, though.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

It is a considerable stretch to think that anything Lebron will do with the Lakers is going to change the paradigm in the NBA. Lebron has reasons to come to LA for branding purposes. We had another poster who just wouldn't stop talking about his theories concerning Space Jam 2. Okay. But none of that has anything to do with the Lakers. For that matter, it is not unprecedented. Snaq came to LA, at least in part, because he wanted to make movies.

levon wrote:

levon wrote:

Well, yeah, I do get the impression that Russell was regarded as an ass. That's a different ballgame, though.

What I'm saying is it's not about basketball, movies, or ownership stake although that might happen in some capacity, but there's something more to it in terms of player - organization relations that's going to be unique. I get the sense that's what both parties are striving for.

And Lebron made a phone call to Love the day after he was traded to the Cavs, but let's be honest, he doesn't sign without the confidence that a 3rd all-star is joining him. I find it more likely than not they discussed it before. Whether or not Lebron is actively recruiting during FA or scheming years ahead, imo he's the ultimate medium for a FO into the fraternity of players, and that value is underappreciated here.

Also very curious that a story comes out in FA that Lebron isn't actively recruiting to the Cavs anymore (who could he possibly recruit this season with that cap room). Shows there's a strong expectation of Lebron to do that, whereas in contrast Kobe would just kind of sit in at FA meetings or let the calls come to him.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
markjay wrote:

Whoa. Teams can't do that. That is tampering, and the NBA would hit have hit us with a pile driver if we did something like that. Just because players can talk among themselves does not mean that teams can use players as surrogates.

You're telling me fratboy Chandler Parsons got the Mavs into trouble? Or Harden this year with Chris Paul? Players also know who the biggest targets are in the market at which years and know they wanna play with the best. It doesn't take a direct mandate from an organization to get them talking. That's what I was saying, there's a natural tendency now more than ever to do that, and to structure contracts in such a way to leave options open.

NBA orgs have been "hurt" by this kind of stuff in the sense that star players leave, but the fact of the matter is if the organizational viewpoint aligned more with players, they'd become a hotspot. Far too often they instead throw blame on players who in turn become more defensive and say bad things about those orgs.

I just think there's a lot of 1970's business practice in these places that can be changed as one step in bridging these differences, and that we may be aspiring to be pioneers at a point in league history when everyone becomes especially conscious of it.

I'm not saying Lebron will do it. I'm just saying Magic's interest in Lebron goes past entertainment value and analytics, and Lebron's interest is more than Space Jam 2 and the WCF.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

I think one thing that was telling when DLO was traded, there wasnt a huge out pouring of sentiment from his former team mates saying how much they would miss him and wishing him well, I remember Nance saying something but outside him unless they where specifically asked no one else mentioned and then they just said the PC response to the trade

I hope DLO has an amazing career other than when he plays us
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Disagree with Derozan dude was a coward and shrunk to challenge of leading a team with expectations.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Disagree about DLO, once Byron's buddy took over we knew he was gone. As for the Lakers being so progressive, how is the search for that analytics position going?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

levon wrote:

levon wrote:

What I'm saying is it's not about basketball, movies, or ownership stake although that might happen in some capacity, but there's something more to it in terms of player - organization relations that's going to be unique. I get the sense that's what both parties are striving for.

If Lebron comes here it will be because of a combination of basketball, money and brand.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

levon wrote:

levon wrote:

If Lebron comes here it will be because of a combination of basketball, money and brand.

Undoubtedly, but I think Lebron's going to be looking further than those things. He wants to leave a lasting cultural impact.

Didn't the Lakers start this entrepreneurial training program with their players recently? This is what I'm talking about.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

And they'd get killed on defense. That back court would be an atrocity on D.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Towns is a reality, he has all star like numbers.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

Let me reframe this into a question since I feel like we're talking too much about Lebron and not enough about the Lakers. Full disclosure all of my thoughts are conjecture since I'm clearly not privy to the power structures in NBA orgs. Also full disclosure I'm not a huge Lebron fan, but I do appreciate the fable-like progression of his career thus far:

Chapter 1
Tired of being the lone power, he aligns with Bosh and Wade in an organization that financially allows for and really embraces superstars "colluding" (evidenced by that awful welcome event featuring not 1, not 2...). Ultimately leaves because of a deteriorating basketball situation and not being able to wrest organizational power from Riley.
Result: Wins 2 of 4 NBA championships, getting that monkey off his back.

Chapter 2
Once just a wonder kid, Lebron returns home a champion. This time, Cleveland is entirely his. He holds all the leverage. This is him leaving Google to found his own startup. This is his fixer upper. Uses his leverage over Gilbert and Klutch Sports to land teammates overpaid contracts. With Golden State's rise, lack of team flexibility, and Kyrie's departure, basketball situation begins to deteriorate. Distances himself in Finals interviews ("I'm just another employee").
Result: Arguably his most successful chapter. Finals every year, wins payback against a 73 win team on the road completing a 3-1 comeback.

Chapter 3
?
If he joins the Lakers in 2018, what kinds of shockwaves do you think it would send out in the league? What kind of power dynamic and relationship do you anticipate him having with Magilinka, and do you see that influencing how other orgs handle stars?

I anticipate the ending of his career being a compromise of his relationship with Riley in Miami and his relationship with Gilbert. The optimal balance of the two.

Last edited by levon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:

levon wrote:

levon wrote:

Undoubtedly, but I think Lebron's going to be looking further than those things. He wants to leave a lasting cultural impact.

Didn't the Lakers start this entrepreneurial training program with their players recently? This is what I'm talking about.

They have talked about the training program, just as they have talked about their commitment to analytics. But no action that I am aware of.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: