Would any Laker take a knee?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Would any Laker take a knee?

No pun intended.

Seriously, I'm not against any protest but I think these athletes are doing it wrong.

You stand up for your rights.

Bending the knee is a symbol of submission.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:

Kuz should for Flint. he's kind of outspoken on twitter
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Deng when he's tired from running the break constantly.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject:

it's all about the defense?

inb4...
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject:

In this case, taking a knee is taking a stand.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

The meaning of taking the knee is now complete useless. It had a different meaning when lap started it and now everyone doing it for a different reason
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject:

Bynum? So many knee surgeries....
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
The meaning of taking the knee is now complete useless. It had a different meaning when lap started it and now everyone doing it for a different reason

Who is lap? What are the different reasons? I thought everyone taking a knee had the same common goal.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
Yeah, Deng when he's tired from running the break constantly.

I’m tired of him hogging cap space with zero added value to the team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject:

Andrew Bynum would gladly take two good ones should they become readily available.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

Bend the knee!!!!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject:

I would prefer they avoid taking a knee but in today's political climate I doubt it can be avoided. Would love to see them link arms but stand.

Prefer they show some respect for the symbol of our country and the supposed unifying act that a National Anthem or patriotism "should " express. Not a supporter of burning the flag either. But I am an old guy that still finds value in collective pride and patriotism for our Country despite the imperfections. A work in progress!

Sadly a part of the conversation of free speech that is being ignored is you have the right to protest but so do those protesting your protest.

You know that old melting pot cliche where we all come together to make the whole better then the individual parts. Even a simplistic symbol like a flag and a anthem has meaning to that melting pot concept.

There are significant reasons for this conversation and protest. But IMO kneeling, sitting or a fan taking a phone call during the anthem all miss the point. Time and place.

That being said, there is no way the NBA players do not become involved on opening night. Expecting this to go on and likely pick up steam. It was a line in the sand and level disrespect that certainly was not necessary but now to be dealt with.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I would prefer they avoid taking a knee but in today's political climate I doubt it can be avoided. Would love to see them link arms but stand.

Prefer they show some respect for the symbol of our country and the supposed unifying act that a National Anthem or patriotism "should " express. Not a supporter of burning the flag either. But I am an old guy that still finds value in collective pride and patriotism for our Country despite the imperfections. A work in progress!

Sadly a part of the conversation of free speech that is being ignored is you have the right to protest but so do those protesting your protest.

You know that old melting pot cliche where we all come together to make the whole better then the individual parts. Even a simplistic symbol like a flag and a anthem has meaning to that melting pot concept.

There are significant reasons for this conversation and protest. But IMO kneeling, sitting or a fan taking a phone call during the anthem all miss the point. Time and place.

That being said, there is no way the NBA players do not become involved on opening night. Expecting this to go on and likely pick up steam. It was a line in the sand and level disrespect that certainly was not necessary but now to be dealt with.

Hmm, I dunno. We're still a month away from opening night, by then, this might just be old hat. Or maybe Trump will say something else dumb to bend about by then.

I agree with you, I hope the Lakers don't do it but, and I agree with you again, it's unavoidable. It's a bit of a social extortion type thing at this point.

But I do hope if any of the Lakers, and other players, have feelings about anything that they feel is important to share, that they take to the media access they have, social media, whatever and share them if they feel that is necessary to get their word out.

I hear you on everything you wrote, and for me, these games are an escape and I would prefer they stay that way regardless of what side of the issue I am on.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Bill Russell took a knee in social media. I doubt he does that in an actual game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Hmm, I dunno. We're still a month away from opening night, by then, this might just be old hat. Or maybe Trump will say something else dumb to bend about by then.

I agree with you, I hope the Lakers don't do it but, and I agree with you again, it's unavoidable. It's a bit of a social extortion type thing at this point.

But I do hope if any of the Lakers, and other players, have feelings about anything that they feel is important to share, that they take to the media access they have, social media, whatever and share them if they feel that is necessary to get their word out.

I hear you on everything you wrote, and for me, these games are an escape and I would prefer they stay that way regardless of what side of the issue I am on.

But this form of protest is against something that affects a large swathe of NBA players. There's a reason you don't see this form of protest in NASCAR.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

But this form of protest is against something that affects a large swathe of NBA players. There's a reason you don't see this form of protest in NASCAR.

Sure. And if they have feelings about anything that is going on in the world, they have a myriad of platforms to voice those feelings on and so I hope they do. I just would prefer it doesn't occur during any part of the game or broadcast. Just my opinion.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

Seems like the wrong forum. Off Topic is for exactly these kinds of discussions.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

since the locked arm thing has been approved by someone who doesnt want ti understand why players are kneeling in the first place my hope is that the Lakers find a different approach that centers around the reason for the protest to begin with and that is the whole team taking a knee then I support that fully.

wish everyone would remember this is not a protest against the flag it is a protest against injustice and what these men and women are doing across the country is indeed Patriotic
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
since the locked arm thing has been approved by someone who doesnt want ti understand why players are kneeling in the first place my hope is that the Lakers find a different approach that centers around the reason for the protest to begin with and that is the whole team taking a knee then I support that fully.

wish everyone would remember this is not a protest against the flag it is a protest against injustice and what these men and women are doing across the country is indeed Patriotic

What if the Lakers chose to miss free throws in protest?

I would hate that. So everyone draws the line somewhere. Make a video, leverage social media, these players have huge audiences, get your word out there. But for me, leave the games themselves alone.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I would hate that. So everyone draws the line somewhere. Make a video, leverage social media, these players have huge audiences, get your word out there. But for me, leave the games themselves alone.

last I checked you dont shoot Ft's during the anthem and a large portion of people in Staples dont even pay attention during the anthem they are on their phones or taking selfies
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
pmacla wrote:

last I checked you dont shoot Ft's during the anthem and a large portion of people in Staples dont even pay attention during the anthem they are on their phones or taking selfies

But is there only one way to show support? Teams have already done a number of things. The Steelers just stayed in the locker room entirely. The Cowboys knelt BEFORE the anthem and then stood, with locked arms, during it. Everyone is doing it their own way.

I don't really care so much what the Lakers players do in their own time as long as it doesn't occur during the game or broadcast I'm all good with it and will support their desires to voice their opinions. For me, like I said, these games are an escape so even if I agree with their message, I'd prefer not to hear it while I'm trying to get amped for the game.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

Time and place. Just my opinion.

Would the same latitude be given to someone attending church but wants to protest the frailties and hypocrisy of the church so they take a phone call during a moment of prayer.

To some (not all I acknowledge) the respect to our country in the symbolism of the flag and Anthem is held in higher regard then others. So isn't it understandable when their reactions are not in line with the protesters.

Has little to do with the supporting reasons for the protest just the time and place.

Hope the players continue to speak out or organize what they feel is inequalities in our communities. There are countless ways and forms of communication to use to achieve the goal.

I for one, find the symbolism of the Flag and Anthem precious. It should be at least one part of our chaotic society that can be unifying. We are all Americans. Can we take a moment to acknowledge and respect that.

I may not be religious but I still bow my head and respect a moment of prayer when I am able to share with those that are.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

I am just saying the locked arms thing has now been minimized by the President for better or for worse I will support whatever they do to protest injustice in America even if it means taking a knee, yes sports is an escape but these rich athletes have a powerful voice and I appreciate them using it for a good cause. Think of this when was the last time anyone listened to a poor mans voice/opinion
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Bill Russell took a knee in social media. I doubt he does that in an actual game.

He probably couldn’t get back up.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

He probably couldn’t get back up.

yea, that 11 rings are heavy. Ask Phil
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: