Kobe Bryant backed business goes belly up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Kobe Bryant backed business goes belly up

One of Kobe's post career investments has bit the dust, and rightfully so. It was a stupid idea.

Why buy a $700 juicer when you can squeeze the contents by hand?

They don't say what his exposure was but I'm sure it was only a drop in the (juice) bucket. He's probably recouped his losses 10X over by now .

Can't win 'em all, Kob.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Did not know he was an investor....
And yes it was a stupid idea.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Robot Coupe is successful selling $1500+ light commercial/ultra premium home juicers.

Hurom is successful selling home juicers in the $300-$600 range.

Why buy a $100k car when I can walk?

The problem with this juicer is that is really a $100 product with the gimmick of internet connection.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Robot Coupe is successful selling $1500+ light commercial/ultra premium home juicers.

Hurom is successful selling home juicers in the $300-$600 range.

Why buy a $100k car when I can walk?

The problem with this juicer is that is really a $100 product with the gimmick of internet connection.

Well those don't use those special juice packs like the Juicero. You can buy organic fruits from whole foods or whatever grocery store you go to in those juicers you listed. So basically when you buy a juicero you are putting your trust that they are selecting the best organic fruits or produce in the juice packs. Of course when they found out that the juicer was nothing unique and the packs could be squeezed by hand that was when the jig was up.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Juicero teardown

tl;dw High quality, expensive parts for a machine that does (bleep). Gear assembly alone would easily cost AUD$1000.

Last edited by K2 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

It's not a stupid idea. The stupid part is that there are actually markets for such products.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Anyone ever used a juicer to make juice at home? Think about the fruit cost, how many of each you have to use to make a gallon.

Off the top of my head I'd guess around $25.00 or more. It's been awhile since I used a juicer, that's a guesstimate. Those who're using juicer let me know the cost for a gallon. Kobe's targeting the 1%

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Anyone ever used a juicer to make juice at home? Think about the fruit cost, how many of each you have to use to make a gallon.

Off the top of my head I'd guess around $25.00 or more. It's been awhile since I used a juicer, that's a guesstimate. Those who're using juicer let me know the cost for a gallon. Kobe's targeting the 1%

The 1% don't get these things. They probably have their own chef or butler whom has their own commercial juicer and buys the ingredients from whole foods.....
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

We have a tribest cold press that was $500? The cost-effective way to go with these juicers is the mexican markets in the ghetto. You can get a ton of oranges, apples, etc, that aren't the prettiest, and spend close to nothing.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Kobe invests too much.

On the reals, though, I once had a juicer. Way too much work for a spritz of juice. Used it twice and then pitched it. Afterwards chatted with bunch of people who felt the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
It's not a stupid idea. The stupid part is that there are actually markets for such products.

Seems like maybe there isn't a market for such products though no?

Anyway, juicer just seems like too much work. Haha
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Seems like maybe there isn't a market for such products though no?

Anyway, juicer just seems like too much work. Haha

The competition is that you can buy store bought juices and they don't require any work.
Kinda like the market for home made sodas.....hard to gain traction when you can easily go down to the store and buy a 2 liter or 6 pack.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

I have a Vita-Mix 5200 and at $400, I thought it was way too expensive, but the thing is built like a tank, works awesome and I would highly recommend it.

The one thing I noticed about all the cheap blenders I had ever owned was that they stopped working properly when the blades became dull (sure you could keep buying new blades) but the Vita-Mix comes with dull blades, they use a 2-HP motor to pulverize anything you thrown in there.

Dexter could have used one of these... lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I have a Vita-Mix 5200 and at $400, I thought it was way too expensive, but the thing is built like a tank, works awesome and I would highly recommend it.

The one thing I noticed about all the cheap blenders I had ever owned was that they stopped working properly when the blades became dull (sure you could keep buying new blades) but the Vita-Mix comes with dull blades, they use a 2-HP motor to pulverize anything you thrown in there.

I actually ended up going with Blendtec. Cheaper and pretty darn good too. Never used a Vitamix but heard great things about it.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I actually ended up going with Blendtec. Cheaper and pretty darn good too. Never used a Vitamix but heard great things about it.

I did not compare, but I also hear great things about Blendtec, Costco alternates having them and Vita-Mix for in-house demonstrations...
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

My business mentor told me that the average millionaire fails at his/her first several business ventures before succeeding. I guess this will be a hard lesson for Kobe as he learns how to become a great entrepreneur. Although he's extremely filthy rich so I'm guessing it won't hurt his pocketbook one bit.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

This is my juicer of choice. I've owned the same one for 17 years, and has never let me down. It even makes peanut butter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: