What has been the peak of your Lakers experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

1988. Going thru 3 straight 7 game series was tough on fans, but so sweet at the end when we went back to back.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

SOLakerFan wrote:
1988. Going thru 3 straight 7 game series was tough on fans, but so sweet at the end when we went back to back.

That might still be the nastiest path to a title since 88 and prolly well before it, too. The Mavs were kinda like the 2009 Rockets. That 7 gm series didn't stack up to others. Lakers dominated them to comic effect at the Forum. The Jazz, though. They damn near got us. They were tied at the end of 3 at their building in Gm 4 with a 2-1 edge going in. They went on a sudden 1 qtr drought and lost the gm 113-100. LA was lucky to get out of there. Then Coop had to win the 5th gm near the buzzer. Pistons were a chore, as well, put us in an immediate hole. You watch those final two gms at the Forum and it's puzzling how the Lakers actually won either of them. They somehow won while they were still being torched. Pisstons fans don't like that Lamebeer foul on Kareem in G7, but I got a couple of words for them. That 1988 Lakers team was peculiar. They were struggling to win on the road. Maybe they got hit by mileage at the wrong time of the year.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Richcbt wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Game 7 comeback against Portland in 2000, cheering the Lakers on with a date and a bunch of strangers at a restaurant bar.

I already gave my favorites, and this was one of them, but I want to further describe my experience. I was at the game, and we all had seen the Lakers seeming to fade vs. the Blazers, in the series, after being up 3-1. The sense of doom was building in the third as they went out to what I think was a 16 point lead late in the quarter.

So, first off, nothing beats a comeback, especially in a Game 7, when we haven't won a title in a long time, when everybody knows that whoever we face in the East is likely to be easier. Second, there was a Portland fan a few rows ahead of me, by himself, who at first was just wildly cheering and had made contact with a few other Portland fans in the stands, and started turning to those folks everytime they did something good. Never sat down, no matter what. Well, after the comeback and the game was basically over with a few seconds left, I remember exchanging high fives with all the Laker fans around me that I didn't know, and just going apesh*t with joy. So, I go running off to the restroom, and here's Mr. Portland fan, pacing back and forth, just shattered. I would have felt for the guy, except he'd been acting like a gloating jerk earlier, so it was just sweet seeing him suffer.

thanks for sharing that story. Nothing like an annoying fan of the other team standing up in front of fans while we're trying to watch the game. He got his all right. If he was doing that at a Raider game at the Coliseum in the 90's....it might've created a bit more.....tension
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

The top of my in-person memories:

- Watching Magic vs Bird at the Forum
- Watching Magic vs Jordan and Dominique at the Forum
- As a kid, shakiing Magic's hand and exchanging hellos at the Forum post HIV announcement, as he was walking down to his seat from the Forum Club.
- Having Magic autograph a jersey for me.
- Watching Van Exel play an incredible playoff game against the Sonics at the Forum.
- Attended Kobe's first summer league game in Long Beach, sat behind the bench.
- Sat center court 2nd row at Kobe's 81 point game (will never forget that).
- Went to Lakers facility when a player we represented worked out for the Lakers. Saw Kobe, and chatted with Mitch (Mitch was very nice, gave us comp tickets to the Lakers vs. Suns playoff game for that evening).

Other memories:

Among all the finals wins and buzzer beaters over the years by Laker greats, my favorite will always be Magic's baby hook against the Celtics.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Watching Robert Horry hit the dagger in the game 7 in the nose bleeders

Being in my terrible seats and appearing in the curb your enthusiasm when Larry got bad seats behind me. I got lucky being in that episode where Larry and Jeff sit at the top of staples.

Meeting Chick Hearn at a game on his cart in the hallway.

Meeting Magic at a Black Panther movie premiere.

Getting Kobe to sign a basketball for me on a Paul hunter addidas spot. Jumping up and down when I heard we traded for Shaq.

Watching the first shaq Kobe championship parade on Figueroa w my dad.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

Being in my terrible seats and appearing in the curb your enthusiasm when Larry got bad seats behind me. I got lucky being in that episode where Larry and Jeff sit at the top of staples.

Getting Kobe to sign a basketball for me on a Paul hunter addidas spot. Jumping up and down when I heard we traded for Shaq.

You saw a screening of Black Panther? The upcoming marvel movie? Or is there another Black Panther movie I don't know about?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

May 27, 2010 - watching Artest hit the game winner over the Suns with my then 9-year-old son screaming and cheering next to me up in the rafters.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Kobe to Shaq.

2000 WCF Game 7. I knew then and there we were going to be something special.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Finding out about the Pau for Kwame trade and then seeing the instant chemistry between Pau and Kobe. Wow! That was probably the longest sustained happy period as a Laker fan.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

The peak of my Lakers experience was attending game 6 of the '88 Finals with my nephew. After we beat the Celts, my nephew and I joined the fan frenzy on the floor, high fiving complete strangers. I did keep my head enough to go stand on the free throw line and pantomime a few free throws.

Right after the game, we drove straight to the H'wood Bowl for the Playboy Jazz festival. Sublime days.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Western Conference game 7 against Portland.

I can't explain why, but I knew the victory was going to be ours, just a strong feeling.

I was hooping that day and had my worst ankle injury. My bud also blew out his ankle (had to go to the hospital) so we were sitting at the hospital room watching that game. Memories.

Random fun fact, but you reminded me of it. On that real ER trauma show Disc Health Channel has on permanent rerun, there was an epi in 2001 filmed at an LA area hospital the night LA closed out Philly. They showed the male staff watching it on the TV and hi-5ing during the final minute. Then they expected a rush of idiots who got hurt in the ensuing mischief. They called it because during a post gm celebration and/or arson/looting spree, a stan took a bullet to the schnoz. The kind of circumstance you'd have to see to believe it could actually happen. The bullet shaved off his nostril and half the point of his nose. The wound had a clean, sharp edge. Due to the crazy angle, I'm guessing he might've been standing on a car roof when he got shot. Any rate, there's a stan who most definitely had a bad night when the Lakers closed out. Hope it didn't ruin his memory of Fisher dropping 6 of 9 treys on shoulder-shrugging AI.

Only you would have this memory.

Although I do like to watch Three Men and a Baby solely to see Tom Selleck's Lakers library and hear him comment on Clutch's shot against the Knicks.

My peak moment or game is Game 4 of 1987 Finals. I was turning 12 and at summer hoops camp and stayed with my grandma. Just me and grandma, and I got to sleep on the pullout couch in the living room, stay up late after she went to bed, wake up to her amazing French toast, go to hoops a block away in the morning, come back for lunch, back to hoops, then back to grandma's. I was going crazy during Game 4 as the Lakers fell behind dreadfully in the third and then slowly, slowly made the comeback. Then the crazy comeback in the final moments: Worthy schooling McHale, the Celtics with some bad turnovers, the 3 by Coop, the oop to Kareem, Bird's revenge in the corner, Kareem 1 of 2 free throws, and then the junior hook. I was screaming while grandma just sat in her chair, bemused. Then I screamed again when Bird missed his shot.

I was just SO HAPPY. It was that childhood joy that, as much as I love the Lakers as an adult, I can't and won't ever be able to match. I just laid on the pullout couch all night, smiling to myself. There were no adult problems to worry about or take me back to reality. Magic had beaten Larry, the Lakers had beaten the Celtics, and it had happened in the most amazing way.

The next day at camp I just talked crap to one of the coaches, a college kid who was a huge Celtics fan. I was also named MVP of the camp so took pride in the fact me and Magic took home MVP Trophies in same year. But I digress.

So that game and that night, which didn't even include them clinching a title, remains etched in my mind as my peak moment in Laker fandom.

(As an aside, the Fish shot vs. Spurs came shortly after I moved to NYC. I was so pumped I went out for a walk to burn some energy and walked down the street to a bodega and passed a homeless woman who yelled at me. I just walked by, said nothing, and next thing I knew I was getting kicked in the ass by her. Literally. She kicked me in the butt and stormed off. Maybe foreshadowing for what awaited the Lakers that year after their own moment of joy.).
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

Meeting Magic at a Panther movie premiere.

You saw a screening of Black Panther? The upcoming marvel movie? Or is there another Black Panther movie I don't know about?

Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:

Gramercy Pictures movie Panther. About the Black Panther movement not the Marvel crime fighter.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Game 7 2010 when CMB dared a bunch of LGers to put their account on the line to root for the team.

I didn't make any dares. You ballsy MFs did that on your own inclinations.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: