Comparing this Lakers team to last seasons OKC Thunder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 10750
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Comparing this Lakers team to last seasons OKC Thunder

I know Westbrook is a world of talent, but minus Westbrook the Thunder really didn't have a lot of talent, they had a bunch of role players doing a good job at there position, I believe this Lakers team can end up being like the Thunder team that won 47 games, there players aren't comparable to the Laker players but they probably had good chemistry which is what this Lakers team is gonna rely on to have success.

A good team to compare to as well are the Blazers who ended up winning 41 games although we have no idea how good our young players will be, I think Lakers reaching the level of what the Thunder or Blazers displayed last year is possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 18720

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

What?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 4094

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Is this thread really necessary? Especially with an opening post like that? Geez.
_________________
2018 Offseason:

Sign LeBron and PG
Keep Randle and Lopez

Starters: Ball - George - LeBron - Randle - Lopez
Bench: Ingram - Kuzma - Nance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 4157

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: ho ho

If I read you right, your point is twofold.

First, if one takes away a league-best talent (league MVP) from a mid-level team without compensation then you create a worse team. OK, I get that. It would typically be obvious and not worthy of further discussion.

But if you want serious consideration of the second point that there's something about the current Laker team which resembles the OKC team in particular without Westbrook specifically, well, it's not a particularly interesting line of thought.

Why futz around with another franchise's roster at all to find an equivalence ?

It's easy to look at Minnesota and rather more on-point. The T-Wolves have two number one draft picks compared to our number twos and they're still seeking their first .500 finish since, well, a long friken time (2005.) Taken at full strength, the're still awfully close to being a Laker twin in terms of success. Success is fleeting and difficult to achieve.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 10750
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ho ho

70sdude wrote:
If I read you right, your point is twofold.

First, if one takes away a league-best talent (league MVP) from a mid-level team without compensation then you create a worse team. OK, I get that. It would typically be obvious and not worthy of further discussion.

But if you want serious consideration of the second point that there's something about the current Laker team which resembles the OKC team in particular without Westbrook specifically, well, it's not a particularly interesting line of thought.

Why futz around with another franchise's roster at all to find an equivalence ?

It's easy to look at Minnesota and rather more on-point. The T-Wolves have two number one draft picks compared to our number twos and they're still seeking their first .500 finish since, well, a long friken time (2005.) Taken at full strength, the're still awfully close to being a Laker twin in terms of success. Success is fleeting and difficult to achieve.


Well there is no doubt both of LA and Minnesota will be a powerhouse for the next 10-12 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Practice
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 3159

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Last year's OKC without Westbrook is one of the worst teams in the league. Portland has Lillard, McCollum, and Nurkic carrying them.

Those teams had stronger talent at the top and we won't match them this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 11348

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

If you remove Westbrook from that team I think they struggle to win 30 games, let alone 47

But let's compare the roster anyway

Lakers 2017 and Thunder 2016
Starters:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Russell Westbrook
SG: Kentavious CP / Victor Oladipo
SF: Brandon Ingram / Andre Roberson
PF: Julius Randle / Taj Gibson
C: Brook Lopez / Steven Adams

Yes, if you remove Russell Westbrook from the equation our team talent is amiable if not better at some positions. Thing is.. thats what made Russell Wesbrook so key to their success. He had to average a triple double and 30 ppg to get them to 47 wins. I don't think anyone on our team is emulating that this season.

That said, we should on paper have a much deeper bench. So we'll see where that goes. But even still, I don't see this team winning 47 games. 43 is as high as I'll currently go, So I see us winning 35-43 games this season.

Any higher would be overachieving. But we'll have to see how we start the season. If we take advantage of the early weaker schedule we may create a cushion, but if we're something like 9-16 after the first 25 games we're in trouble as far as 40ish wins go, but we'd be on pace for around 36ish
_________________
My 2K18 One Year Rebuild of the Brooklyn Nets(Lakers coming soon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-2rwSoRP4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8228
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Comparing this Lakers team to last seasons OKC Thunder...

Ok, I will:

THUNDER (2016-2017):
Won 47 games
Had the MVP of the NBA
Traded for Paul George (after the season)
Made the Playoffs

LAKERS (2017-2018):
Lucky to win 37 games
Had a Rookie named Ball, who had some good and bad moments
Signed Paul George (after the season)
Missed the Playoffs

done.... next....
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17730

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

What about the Pittsburgh Penguins?

Similarities are uncanny too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 10750
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Comparing this Lakers team to last seasons OKC Thunder...

Ok, I will:

THUNDER (2016-2017):
Won 47 games
Had the MVP of the NBA
Traded for Paul George (after the season)
Made the Playoffs

LAKERS (2017-2018):
Lucky to win 37 games
Had a Rookie named Ball, who had some good and bad moments
Signed Paul George (after the season)
Missed the Playoffs

done.... next....


What if we add Shabazz or Wade?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2008
Posts: 3315
Location: Sfv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

is this reddit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
StoicChalice392
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

lol. The long off season is taking its toll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 4157

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ho ho

Inspector Gadget wrote:
70sdude wrote:
If I read you right, your point is twofold.

First, if one takes away a league-best talent (league MVP) from a mid-level team without compensation then you create a worse team. OK, I get that. It would typically be obvious and not worthy of further discussion.

But if you want serious consideration of the second point that there's something about the current Laker team which resembles the OKC team in particular without Westbrook specifically, well, it's not a particularly interesting line of thought.

Why futz around with another franchise's roster at all to find an equivalence ?

It's easy to look at Minnesota and rather more on-point. The T-Wolves have two number one draft picks compared to our number twos and they're still seeking their first .500 finish since, well, a long friken time (2005.) Taken at full strength, the're still awfully close to being a Laker twin in terms of success. Success is fleeting and difficult to achieve.


Well there is no doubt both of LA and Minnesota will be a powerhouse for the next 10-12 years.


Perhaps you have no doubt of that possible future but I have plenty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 27713
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I feel like we sort of resemble last year's Warriors team without Curry, Durant, Green, and Thompson.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
TDRock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 9880
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
What?

_________________
🎶 ...then I saw his game...now I'm a
Ball-liever...🎶
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13162

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

This thread. Haha.
2006 Lakers team without Kobe then.
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . Paul . Brandon . Lebron . Julius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2001
Posts: 2397

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If you remove Westbrook from that team I think they struggle to win 30 games, let alone 47

Interestingly, ESPN Real Plus Minus agrees with your assessment. It attributes about 17 of the wins of OKC to Westbrook. If you exchange win shares of Westbrook and JC (-1.40), the Lakers get to about 44 wins.
MJST wrote:
But let's compare the roster anyway

Lakers 2017 and Thunder 2016
Starters:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Russell Westbrook
SG: Kentavious CP / Victor Oladipo
SF: Brandon Ingram / Andre Roberson
PF: Julius Randle / Taj Gibson
C: Brook Lopez / Steven Adams

Yes, if you remove Russell Westbrook from the equation our team talent is amiable if not better at some positions.

Amiable? I would agree that Lopez is better than Adams. But in 2016-17, Oladipo, Roberson and Gibson were all much better than KCP, Ingram and Randle.
MJST wrote:
Thing is.. thats what made Russell Wesbrook so key to their success. He had to average a triple double and 30 ppg to get them to 47 wins. I don't think anyone on our team is emulating that this season.

Yep.
MJST wrote:
That said, we should on paper have a much deeper bench. So we'll see where that goes. But even still, I don't see this team winning 47 games. 43 is as high as I'll currently go, So I see us winning 35-43 games this season.

It would take almost miraculous improvement at the sf and pf positions for the Lakers to get to 43 wins.
MJST wrote:
Any higher would be overachieving. But we'll have to see how we start the season. If we take advantage of the early weaker schedule we may create a cushion, but if we're something like 9-16 after the first 25 games we're in trouble as far as 40ish wins go, but we'd be on pace for around 36ish

A 10 game improvement (i.e., going from 26 wins to 36 wins) is, in my opinion, overachieving. Ball will be a rookie. Last year, Ingram, Randle and JC were horrible--any improvement would be welcome. Lopez and KCP are big improvements at the c and sg positions, but the Lakers also lost Williams and Young two of their better contributors. If the Lakers get more than 36 wins, I will be ecstatic.
_________________
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. --Mark Twain

Regrettably, one of the surest signs of the Philistine is his reverence for the superior tastes of those who put him down. --Pauline Kael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 10750
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
MJST wrote:
If you remove Westbrook from that team I think they struggle to win 30 games, let alone 47

Interestingly, ESPN Real Plus Minus agrees with your assessment. It attributes about 17 of the wins of OKC to Westbrook. If you exchange win shares of Westbrook and JC (-1.40), the Lakers get to about 44 wins.
MJST wrote:
But let's compare the roster anyway

Lakers 2017 and Thunder 2016
Starters:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Russell Westbrook
SG: Kentavious CP / Victor Oladipo
SF: Brandon Ingram / Andre Roberson
PF: Julius Randle / Taj Gibson
C: Brook Lopez / Steven Adams

Yes, if you remove Russell Westbrook from the equation our team talent is amiable if not better at some positions.

Amiable? I would agree that Lopez is better than Adams. But in 2016-17, Oladipo, Roberson and Gibson were all much better than KCP, Ingram and Randle.
MJST wrote:
Thing is.. thats what made Russell Wesbrook so key to their success. He had to average a triple double and 30 ppg to get them to 47 wins. I don't think anyone on our team is emulating that this season.

Yep.
MJST wrote:
That said, we should on paper have a much deeper bench. So we'll see where that goes. But even still, I don't see this team winning 47 games. 43 is as high as I'll currently go, So I see us winning 35-43 games this season.

It would take almost miraculous improvement at the sf and pf positions for the Lakers to get to 43 wins.
MJST wrote:
Any higher would be overachieving. But we'll have to see how we start the season. If we take advantage of the early weaker schedule we may create a cushion, but if we're something like 9-16 after the first 25 games we're in trouble as far as 40ish wins go, but we'd be on pace for around 36ish

A 10 game improvement (i.e., going from 26 wins to 36 wins) is, in my opinion, overachieving. Ball will be a rookie. Last year, Ingram, Randle and JC were horrible--any improvement would be welcome. Lopez and KCP are big improvements at the c and sg positions, but the Lakers also lost Williams and Young two of their better contributors. If the Lakers get more than 36 wins, I will be ecstatic.


How would you feel about the possible Wade or Shabazz addition would that improve your 36 win projection?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 5786

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject:

summer is almost over...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 328

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
MJST wrote:
If you remove Westbrook from that team I think they struggle to win 30 games, let alone 47

Interestingly, ESPN Real Plus Minus agrees with your assessment. It attributes about 17 of the wins of OKC to Westbrook. If you exchange win shares of Westbrook and JC (-1.40), the Lakers get to about 44 wins.
MJST wrote:
But let's compare the roster anyway

Lakers 2017 and Thunder 2016
Starters:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Russell Westbrook
SG: Kentavious CP / Victor Oladipo
SF: Brandon Ingram / Andre Roberson
PF: Julius Randle / Taj Gibson
C: Brook Lopez / Steven Adams

Yes, if you remove Russell Westbrook from the equation our team talent is amiable if not better at some positions.

Amiable? I would agree that Lopez is better than Adams. But in 2016-17, Oladipo, Roberson and Gibson were all much better than KCP, Ingram and Randle.
MJST wrote:
Thing is.. thats what made Russell Wesbrook so key to their success. He had to average a triple double and 30 ppg to get them to 47 wins. I don't think anyone on our team is emulating that this season.

Yep.
MJST wrote:
That said, we should on paper have a much deeper bench. So we'll see where that goes. But even still, I don't see this team winning 47 games. 43 is as high as I'll currently go, So I see us winning 35-43 games this season.

It would take almost miraculous improvement at the sf and pf positions for the Lakers to get to 43 wins.
MJST wrote:
Any higher would be overachieving. But we'll have to see how we start the season. If we take advantage of the early weaker schedule we may create a cushion, but if we're something like 9-16 after the first 25 games we're in trouble as far as 40ish wins go, but we'd be on pace for around 36ish

A 10 game improvement (i.e., going from 26 wins to 36 wins) is, in my opinion, overachieving. Ball will be a rookie. Last year, Ingram, Randle and JC were horrible--any improvement would be welcome. Lopez and KCP are big improvements at the c and sg positions, but the Lakers also lost Williams and Young two of their better contributors. If the Lakers get more than 36 wins, I will be ecstatic.


How would you feel about the possible Wade or Shabazz addition would that improve your 36 win projection?


Shabazz and or Wade would lower any projection imo not raise it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17730

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject:

This team is sort of like the Warriors if you take out Curry, Durant, Klay, Draymomd, Iguodala, and Livingston and then some young talent.

They even have a Nick Young too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 10750
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
MJST wrote:
If you remove Westbrook from that team I think they struggle to win 30 games, let alone 47

Interestingly, ESPN Real Plus Minus agrees with your assessment. It attributes about 17 of the wins of OKC to Westbrook. If you exchange win shares of Westbrook and JC (-1.40), the Lakers get to about 44 wins.
MJST wrote:
But let's compare the roster anyway

Lakers 2017 and Thunder 2016
Starters:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Russell Westbrook
SG: Kentavious CP / Victor Oladipo
SF: Brandon Ingram / Andre Roberson
PF: Julius Randle / Taj Gibson
C: Brook Lopez / Steven Adams

Yes, if you remove Russell Westbrook from the equation our team talent is amiable if not better at some positions.

Amiable? I would agree that Lopez is better than Adams. But in 2016-17, Oladipo, Roberson and Gibson were all much better than KCP, Ingram and Randle.
MJST wrote:
Thing is.. thats what made Russell Wesbrook so key to their success. He had to average a triple double and 30 ppg to get them to 47 wins. I don't think anyone on our team is emulating that this season.

Yep.
MJST wrote:
That said, we should on paper have a much deeper bench. So we'll see where that goes. But even still, I don't see this team winning 47 games. 43 is as high as I'll currently go, So I see us winning 35-43 games this season.

It would take almost miraculous improvement at the sf and pf positions for the Lakers to get to 43 wins.
MJST wrote:
Any higher would be overachieving. But we'll have to see how we start the season. If we take advantage of the early weaker schedule we may create a cushion, but if we're something like 9-16 after the first 25 games we're in trouble as far as 40ish wins go, but we'd be on pace for around 36ish

A 10 game improvement (i.e., going from 26 wins to 36 wins) is, in my opinion, overachieving. Ball will be a rookie. Last year, Ingram, Randle and JC were horrible--any improvement would be welcome. Lopez and KCP are big improvements at the c and sg positions, but the Lakers also lost Williams and Young two of their better contributors. If the Lakers get more than 36 wins, I will be ecstatic.


How would you feel about the possible Wade or Shabazz addition would that improve your 36 win projection?


Shabazz and or Wade would lower any projection imo not raise it


That doesn't make sense though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17730

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
MJST wrote:
If you remove Westbrook from that team I think they struggle to win 30 games, let alone 47

Interestingly, ESPN Real Plus Minus agrees with your assessment. It attributes about 17 of the wins of OKC to Westbrook. If you exchange win shares of Westbrook and JC (-1.40), the Lakers get to about 44 wins.
MJST wrote:
But let's compare the roster anyway

Lakers 2017 and Thunder 2016
Starters:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Russell Westbrook
SG: Kentavious CP / Victor Oladipo
SF: Brandon Ingram / Andre Roberson
PF: Julius Randle / Taj Gibson
C: Brook Lopez / Steven Adams

Yes, if you remove Russell Westbrook from the equation our team talent is amiable if not better at some positions.

Amiable? I would agree that Lopez is better than Adams. But in 2016-17, Oladipo, Roberson and Gibson were all much better than KCP, Ingram and Randle.
MJST wrote:
Thing is.. thats what made Russell Wesbrook so key to their success. He had to average a triple double and 30 ppg to get them to 47 wins. I don't think anyone on our team is emulating that this season.

Yep.
MJST wrote:
That said, we should on paper have a much deeper bench. So we'll see where that goes. But even still, I don't see this team winning 47 games. 43 is as high as I'll currently go, So I see us winning 35-43 games this season.

It would take almost miraculous improvement at the sf and pf positions for the Lakers to get to 43 wins.
MJST wrote:
Any higher would be overachieving. But we'll have to see how we start the season. If we take advantage of the early weaker schedule we may create a cushion, but if we're something like 9-16 after the first 25 games we're in trouble as far as 40ish wins go, but we'd be on pace for around 36ish

A 10 game improvement (i.e., going from 26 wins to 36 wins) is, in my opinion, overachieving. Ball will be a rookie. Last year, Ingram, Randle and JC were horrible--any improvement would be welcome. Lopez and KCP are big improvements at the c and sg positions, but the Lakers also lost Williams and Young two of their better contributors. If the Lakers get more than 36 wins, I will be ecstatic.


How would you feel about the possible Wade or Shabazz addition would that improve your 36 win projection?


Shabazz and or Wade would lower any projection imo not raise it


That doesn't make sense though.


Neither does this thread though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 10750
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

It adds to discussion though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17730

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
It adds to discussion though


Where would we be without this thread?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB