The Lakers have a logjam at PF and it's a good problem to have
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Luke gonna run that all power forward lineup

Point Power Forward: Julius
Shooting Power Forward: Kuzma
Power Small Forward: Ingram
Power Power Forward: Deng
Power Center: Nance

This could actually work

Ugh, wouldn't like to see that one very often unless the goal is securing a Summer 2018 lottery berth.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
I suspect Kuzma can get a few minutes at both forward spots. Unless Nance bucks his tendencies, I'd expect Deng, Kuzma and Zubacs all to get more minutes when Junior is out with injury. It would speak volumes about both players' impact or lack thereof if a rookie Kuzma is able to get more burn than a vet like Luol - especially when Rob and Magic are continually harping on the need for the team to up their defense across the board.

Deng is hated on for obvious reasons. But, it's not his fault. He would have been a fool not to take the contract that Jim & Mitch offered. He's not wanted by any team at 18 million per and not as a starter regardless of the salary. However, he's a good vet to have both on the bench and in the locker room for a young team. So, until they find a trade dump partner or decide to stretch him, he'll fill the role the team requires of him.

The only way he'll be stuck on the bench entirely is if everyone including Nance stays healthy, Kuzma plays so well that Luke keeps him in the rotation and Brewer does the same. That's a lot of if's. I don't expect to see Deng getting a bunch of minutes. But, I do expect that we'll see him playing spot minutes on a relatively consistent basis. Moreso if others are injured.

I agree with your take on this. None of us are happy with Deng's contract but he is a vet with a ton of experience on a young team trying to win games. I see his status exactly as you described. Consistent spot minutes unless Kuzma surpasses expectations in a big way and Nance avoids the injury bug this season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Rek wrote:
I suspect Kuzma can get a few minutes at both forward spots. Unless Nance bucks his tendencies, I'd expect Deng, Kuzma and Zubacs all to get more minutes when Junior is out with injury. It would speak volumes about both players' impact or lack thereof if a rookie Kuzma is able to get more burn than a vet like Luol - especially when Rob and Magic are continually harping on the need for the team to up their defense across the board.

Deng is hated on for obvious reasons. But, it's not his fault. He would have been a fool not to take the contract that Jim & Mitch offered. He's not wanted by any team at 18 million per and not as a starter regardless of the salary. However, he's a good vet to have both on the bench and in the locker room for a young team. So, until they find a trade dump partner or decide to stretch him, he'll fill the role the team requires of him.

The only way he'll be stuck on the bench entirely is if everyone including Nance stays healthy, Kuzma plays so well that Luke keeps him in the rotation and Brewer does the same. That's a lot of if's. I don't expect to see Deng getting a bunch of minutes. But, I do expect that we'll see him playing spot minutes on a relatively consistent basis. Moreso if others are injured.

I agree with your take on this. None of us are happy with Deng's contract but he is a vet with a ton of experience on a young team trying to win games. I see his status exactly as you described. Consistent spot minutes unless Kuzma surpasses expectations in a big way and Nance avoids the injury bug this season.

No doubt that we have a solid tandem at PF. I'm eager to see how it all pans out.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Anxious to see Randle's improved outside shot, if it has improved to the point of garnering respect from defenders, look the bleep out!

Same with LNJ to a lesser extent. He does so many things well so that would just be gravy!

Deng, what can I say about Luol. Hope he has a little left in the tank. We could use his veteran leadership off the bench this season but he was down right painful to watch for the majority of last season.

BI can play wherever the hell he wants. As long as he plays with that controlled aggression he displayed late into the season and early in the Summer league i'll take his minutes anywhere Luke feels he can play!

Lot of versatility on this team suddenly.

Can't help but love the direction this team's headed.

Love it!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton Excited By Competition Between Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle, Kyle Kuzma

Quote:
“There’s a great competition there between Julius and Larry (Nance, Jr.) and (Kyle) Kuzma, who can play some four too and is probably the best 3-point shooter out of the three of them.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luke-walton-discusses-competition-between-larry-nance-jr-julius-randle-kyle-kuzma/2017/09/23/
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

When teams took advantage of an abundance of talent at center and played 2 big guys on the court at the same time, they were called twin towers. Two of our guys should be called Twin Powers.

I got the copyright before anyone steals it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
When teams took advantage of an abundance of talent at center and played 2 big guys on the court at the same time, they were called twin towers. Two of our guys should be called Twin Powers.

I got the copyright before anyone steals it.

Nice. And we should see our share of Twin Powers.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: w

venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Deng is a bench warmer so he's out.

Easy solution for Kuzma is simply moving him as a backup SF or backup PF while Randle or Nance plays Center.

Deng was only a bench warmer when we were tanking. I see him getting time off the bench. It is always better to have more talent than to have less talent.

still supporting mitch/jim signings
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

-Give Randle 30mpg, so he could put up good stats and thus increase his trade value.

-Give Kuzma 12mpg at small forward and 6mpg at power forward.

-Give Nance 12mpg at power forward and 10mpg at center.

-Give Lopez 30mpg at center

-Give Bogut 8mpg at center

Randle's 30mpg is enough for him to put up good stats and maybe even convince the Laker brass to not trade him.

Nance's 22mpg is what he averaged last season. This is enough time for him to be the good impact defensive role player that he is.

Kuzma's 18mpg is enough minutes to allow the Lakers to see what hes got.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: w

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Easy solution for Kuzma is simply moving him as a backup SF or backup PF while Randle or Nance plays Center.

Deng was only a bench warmer when we were tanking. I see him getting time off the bench. It is always better to have more talent than to have less talent.

It's not funny when we can't sign a second max player.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

I see Randle getting 30-34 mpg

Kuzma splits time between SF/PF if he is playing well he gets 20 minutes per game.

BI gets some time at SG

Nance is backup PF and C

Deng is on the bench unless Kuzma isn't ready.

I think Kuzma earns minutes with the 3 pointer and is quick enough to defend SF big enough to defend PF.

Zubac or Bogut could fight their way to minutes at center
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: w

Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Yeah, it is called being a fan. You should try it sometime instead of posting your typical gibberish.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: w

fontana3d wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:

It's not funny when we can't sign a second max player.

Or even a first.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle And Larry Nance Jr. Pushing Each Other To Get Better

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers currently have a training camp battle going on between Julius Randle, Larry Nance Jr. and Kyle Kuzma for the starting power forward position, and that battle is something head coach Luke Walton said he was looking forward to going into the start of camp.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-julius-randle-and-larry-nance-jr-pushing-each-other-to-get-better/2017/09/28/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Randle, Nance Translating Offseason Work to the Court

Quote:
You may have heard that Julius Randle and Larry Nance, Jr. used the offseason to sculpt themselves into ridiculous shape.

Anybody who's been to Lakers training camp this week can confirm.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170928-randle-nance-improving
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

I like when we play Randle and Nance together
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

BI giving Randle and Larry props saying they dominated the game in scrimmage. I love hearing that. And I love the lineup of Randle and Larry together.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
BI giving Randle and Larry props saying they dominated the game in scrimmage. I love hearing that. And I love the lineup of Randle and Larry together.

Ball
KCP
Ingram
Nance
Randle

is a lineup I hope to see closing out games. That would mean Nance and Randle have no hesitation shooting and are performing very well. That lineup would create matchup nightmares imo especially if Randle and Nance are much improved threats from the outside, stretching the floor, etc.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

GT is speculating that we might see that lineup starting tomorrow
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GT is speculating that we might see that lineup starting tomorrow

Anyone recall if we ever ran the:

DLO
Lou or JC
BI
Larrry
Julius

lineup anytime last year?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

I know Randle and Nance saw time together. But under Luke, Byron didn’t give them that chance.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject:

Kuz, Nance, Randle are playing quite well so far this pre-season. Even Deng has been decent in limited minutes.

Luke has some tough decisions to make but either way the team will be much improved.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: