Would Lonzo have been #1 pick if Lakers didn't keep their pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
no, Fultz is still the most talented prospect in the draft. I am not sure Lonzo goes #2 if LA did not have the pick.

Based on SL I think Zo goes #1 if Lakers had the pick. Sixer would be the only team taking Fultz at #1 I think because of what they already have.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Suns trade up to #1 and get Lonzo.

So did the Knicks... well, Phil.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
no, Fultz is still the most talented prospect in the draft. I am not sure Lonzo goes #2 if LA did not have the pick.

Based on SL I think Zo goes #1 if Lakers had the pick. Sixer would be the only team taking Fultz at #1 I think because of what they already have.

I agree it is possible if the Lakers had the pick, but I doubt he goes higher than #3 or #4 if Lakers were not in the picture.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I agree it is possible if the Lakers had the pick, but I doubt he goes higher than #3 or #4 if Lakers were not in the picture.

How can you be so sure without knowing who the pick holder is? And Lonzo would have probably worked out for teams too. I have a feeling he'd shoot for the #1 spot if the Lakers weren't around.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

it depends on the team, their needs and how dumb or smart they are. there are a lot of BAD GM's in the nba thats for sure. so yes i could see a few of them passing on lonzo. knowing good and well they need a culture change and thats the guy to pull that off coming out of high school doing just that, going to college and doing just that all in one years time.

when you run into a player like that. you jump onboard and stop over thinking it.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

If the lakers are not in the draft, Lonzo works out for other teams and ends up going number 1 overall. imo fans and media hyped fultz up to be way more than what he is, a good scorer. Lonzo has franchise player talent.

Fultz is on a team that already has franchise player level talent and he's not in the mix for that spot. Embiid, Simmons and then fultz in that order.

Simmons - primary ball handler

Embiid - Go-to-scorer

Fultz? Floor spacer, 3rd option, basically a SG who defends the 1,

Who knows maybe they allow fultz to run PnR with embiid in the half court, but I doubt Simmons would like that (besides he's not very effective without the ball).
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Fultz was unanimous #1 pick by everyone in the world. I don't think anyone even came close to considering Lonzo as top pick. Lakers keeping their pick or not is irrelevant because Fultz would go #1 regardless. I heard some in the Lakers organization even wanted Josh Jackson or Fox over Lonzo. I'm just glad the ultimate decider (Magic) made the right choice.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

I don't agree that Fultz would be the consensus #1 if Lonzo and his team weren't so stuck on going to LA.

I do believe Fultz is/will be an elite scorer but I don't think he will affect the game like Lonzo does/will. I also think plenty of GM's and scouts share that belief.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

LB2 wrote:
I don't agree that Fultz would be the consensus #1 if Lonzo and his team weren't so stuck on going to LA.

I do believe Fultz is/will be an elite scorer but I don't think he will affect the game like Lonzo does/will. I also think plenty of GM's and scouts share that belief.

It was well documented that Fultz was the clear cut #1 pick. Let's not embellish things to such a ridiculous level. Philly paid a high price to get Fultz, not Ball. If the Lakers had the #1 pick they likely would have gone with Fultz.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LB2 wrote:

It was well documented that Fultz was the clear cut #1 pick. Let's not embellish things to such a ridiculous level. Philly paid a high price to get Fultz, not Ball. If the Lakers had the #1 pick they likely would have gone with Fultz.

Let's not embellish things.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LB2 wrote:

The Lakers were singularly focused on Ball before they knew the fate of their pick. He's the only guy Magic scouted in person. Reports were that Ainge was infatuated with Ball, but he wouldn't work out for them or even speak to them. I think Philly had Fultz #1, LA and Boston had Ball #1. I'd be willing to bet Phx had Ball #1 as well.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LB2 wrote:

The Lakers were singularly focused on Ball before they knew the fate of their pick. He's the only guy Magic scouted in person. Reports were that Ainge was infatuated with Ball, but he wouldn't work out for them or even speak to them. I think Philly had Fultz #1, LA and Boston had Ball #1. I'd be willing to bet Phx had Ball #1 as well.

And the Knicks reportedly.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LB2 wrote:

reported where?

I do not recall a single credible source identifying any of the lottery teams specifically preferring Ball over Fultz. So much of this is based off Lonzo being locked into that #2 spot once the Lakers landed the selection.....but most credible "big boards" (except Chad Ford) had Lonzo @ #4 or lower. That is just a fact that when the prospects were viewed in a vacuum, without knowing which teams would be selecting in a specific order....Fultz, Jackson, and Tatum were viewed as higher prospects. That all changed after the lottery, and everyone knew it was a foregone conclusion that the Lakers would take the local favorite. If Danny Ainge wanted Ball, he would have selected him, but he had Tatum and Fultz as equals for the #1 and #2 position.

It was claimed/speculated (not confirmed that I am aware of) that both PHX and Sacramento made offers to move into the #1 slot, but did not offer those packages to the Lakers for the #2 slot. They were trying to get Fultz
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/phil-jackson-lonzo-ball-trade-kristaps-porzingis-knicks-news/l8iz39v7uh081t8e1r0o24l4j

It's Vescey so you can (bleep) on it if you want.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
It was claimed/speculated (not confirmed that I am aware of) that both PHX and Sacramento made offers to move into the #1 slot, but did not offer those packages to the Lakers for the #2 slot. They were trying to get Fultz

Or they knew the Lakers would never deal with them because they were set on Ball, too.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I've wondered if the Lakers take Lonzo if we win the lottery.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:

This is the real question, who was #1 on our board?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:

I lean towards yes, they would take Lonzo @ #1.....60/40?
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo is a Star player he gets the first pick.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LB2 wrote:

reported where?

I do not recall a single credible source identifying any of the lottery teams specifically preferring Ball over Fultz. So much of this is based off Lonzo being locked into that #2 spot once the Lakers landed the selection.....but most credible "big boards" (except Chad Ford) had Lonzo @ #4 or lower. That is just a fact that when the prospects were viewed in a vacuum, without knowing which teams would be selecting in a specific order....Fultz, Jackson, and Tatum were viewed as higher prospects. That all changed after the lottery, and everyone knew it was a foregone conclusion that the Lakers would take the local favorite. If Danny Ainge wanted Ball, he would have selected him, but he had Tatum and Fultz as equals for the #1 and #2 position.

Danny Ainge is an idiot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Or they knew the Lakers would never deal with them because they were set on Ball, too.

That isn't how it works, if you have interest you talk to the team and let them tell you no.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Too many "ifs" in the OP's premise to give it much thought. Just sayin', do we care ? Should we ?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
If the lakers are not in the draft, Lonzo works out for other teams and ends up going number 1 overall. imo fans and media hyped fultz up to be way more than what he is, a good scorer. Lonzo has franchise player talent.

Fultz is on a team that already has franchise player level talent and he's not in the mix for that spot. Embiid, Simmons and then fultz in that order.

Simmons - primary ball handler

Embiid - Go-to-scorer

Fultz? Floor spacer, 3rd option, basically a SG who defends the 1,

Who knows maybe they allow fultz to run PnR with embiid in the half court, but I doubt Simmons would like that (besides he's not very effective without the ball).
Ppop. I can't let you talk bout fultz like that either. yes i'm a Zo fan. But I'm also a fan of basketball.

Let me say it for you one more time. Fultz is by far the best perimeter scorer I've ever seen at this age/stage of his nba career which is a rookie. When I talk about scoring. I'm talking about his ability to get his shot off regardless of the defender/defenders. and how comfortable he is making all of his initial moves and counter moves. he has counter moves a lot of nba stars still dont have yet. he's more skilled than a lot of nba vets when it comes to scoring the basketball. he can also pass well enough. which is usually not the case when you have such a prolific scorer. he moves at a veteran's pace when he's making his moves. This is also impressive for a kid his age. most of these guys are moving 100 miles and hour to do everything at one speed and thats full speed. not understanding how to go slow then go fast then go slow then go fast. change of speed is key. he already has this down to a science.

And he's very athletic to boot.

he has the skill of an orlando magic Tracy Mcgrady but Fultz is a rookie and he's shorter. But he has the same skills to score the ball RIGHT NOW. I think he will lead the league in scoring before he's done playing in the nba.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:

This is the real question, who was #1 on our board?
Lonzo.

We need a team leader and someone who can by way of assists, run the team. DLO didnt seem to be up for that challenge even though he could pass well enough and could score well.

he wasnt that TEAM LEADER a winning team needs. Zo is that guy by nature. he doesnt have to say a word. you see how his teams play like him. again, he did it in high school and did it again in less than a years time in college
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That isn't how it works, if you have interest you talk to the team and let them tell you no.

They did that too according to Ford.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716532-lonzo-ball-rumored-as-suns-draft-target-talking-trade-with-lakers-celtics
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: