Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

because Kareem and Magic only wore one?
i think Kobe is greater than both

How many MVP awards did Kobe win? 1

How many did Kareem win? 6

How many did Magic win? 3

Time dulls the senses I guess.

Kobe is a great player, a gunner and an great closer, but come on- Magic is the best team leader of all time and Kareem is the all time scoring leader, six time MVP and the guy played amazing D. Kobe scored a lot and played great D, but he also leads the league in missed shots.

MVPs are one of the weakest measures of greatness ever. I think we all know Kobe should have 3-4. Kobe is more than just a "great player". T-Mac is a great player. Kobe is a legend. Two jerseys, one jersey, who cares? This is the lamest debate ever.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

Kobe is a great player, a gunner and an great closer, but come on- Magic is the best team leader of all time and Kareem is the all time scoring leader, six time MVP and the guy played amazing D. Kobe scored a lot and played great D, but he also leads the league in missed shots.

you are entitled to your opinion, and i am entitled to mine. to me, Kobe is better than Magic and Kareem at least a far more complete basketball player.
now Kobe has been robbed of multiple MVPS, so i don't think your point is valid here. is Nash greater than Kobe too?

Oh yeah, I agree we are entitled to our opinions! Just don't come around here saying that Jordan is better than Kobe, Magic and Kareem:)
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

MVPs are one of the weakest measures of greatness ever. I think we all know Kobe should have 3-4. Kobe is more than just a "great player". T-Mac is a great player. Kobe is a legend. Two jerseys, one jersey, who cares? This is the lamest debate ever.

Kobe doesn't deserve 3-4 MVP's. Let's not forget that if the Hornets didn't have that mini late-season collapse then Kobe probably retires with no MVP'S.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

I am completely fine with two jerseys but think the best of both worlds would be the often brought up idea of one jersey with two numbers

It can be done in many different ways, also already brought up in the thread. A diagonal line separating a vintage 8 jersey and a modern 24 jersey could be cool if executed well. A more simple front 8 back 24 would work too.

And if it's two separate jerseys then that's fine too. I get that some people are a bit hesitant. Having two jerseys hanging there may look kinda weird at first but you'll get over it

Either way, Kobe's earned it
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

He should have gotten 4 mvps if not more.

One during the latter part of the three-peat era, when it was kobe defeating the spurs, not shaq.

2006 should have been his.

2008 he had.

And 2013 should have been Kobe's as well.
Lakers 4 eva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Kobe doesn't deserve 3-4 MVP's. Let's not forget that if the Hornets didn't have that mini late-season collapse then Kobe probably retires with no MVP'S.

So how many MVP's you think he should have?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree, just wondering. Is there any player past or present on the Lakers that you like? Besides Bynum of course.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a die-hard Kobe can do no wrong fan, but 2003, 2006 and 2008 he great cases for MVP. 2003 was the Shaq injured on company time surgery season and Kobe carried that team while Shaq recovered and played his way into shape. Duncan and Garnett had more votes, but in 2003 the only good players on that Lakers team were he and Shaq. The rest were in steep decline. 2006 he had Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm and Brian Cook in his starting lineups. The only help whatsoever was LO. It was a damn miracle they got into the playoffs. Not to mention he averaged 35 points. No need to talk about 2008 since he won it that season. That being said, I don't believe Kobe was "greater" than Magic or Kareem. They're all about the same to me. Don't let recency bias diminish what Magic and Kareem did.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I think Kobe definitely deserved the one he got.

I think you can make a strong case for him in 06, but that depends on how much you factor in team record. (That was the big split year where 5 or 6 guys got first place votes)

There are a few other years you can make a case for him, but I think other guys were more deserving. So I think he deserved 2.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

My idea was always retire both, put one in the rafters and one on his statue. But I have no problem with two jerseys going up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Eh. I understand why fans care one way or the other, but I think the simplest things - and most likely - is to retire 24 and give a real nasty stink eye to any player that even thinks about wearing number 8.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
My idea was always retire both, put one in the rafters and one on his statue. But I have no problem with two jerseys going up

Pretty much, this. Put 24 on the wall and 8 on his statue with Jalen Rose cowering beneath him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
22 wrote:

Pretty much, this. Put 24 on the wall and 8 on his statue with Jalen Rose cowering beneath him.

Pretty much, this. Put both #s up on the rafters.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Eh. I understand why fans care one way or the other, but I think the simplest things - and most likely - is to retire 24 and give a real nasty stink eye to any player that even thinks about wearing number 8.

Yet quotes from Kobe, Magic, and Jeannie state TWO JERSEYS.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
He should have gotten 4 mvps if not more.

One during the latter part of the three-peat era, when it was kobe defeating the spurs, not shaq.

2006 should have been his.

2008 he had.

And 2013 should have been Kobe's as well.

Man he was so good in 2013. He was saving our butts game after game while Dwight and Pau were pouting in a corner and Steve Nash in street clothes.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Well deserved. It honestly wouldn't feel right if only one jersey got retired.

Pau Gasol is nice
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

That sexy son of a (bleep) deserves 10 jerseys.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Kind of off topic. Can someone remind me how come Kobe wanted to change his number?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Kind of off topic. Can someone remind me how come Kobe wanted to change his number?

He for-saw the creation of this thread.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

He said he wanted a new start reborn for black mamba etc my thought was that the rape case was when he was wearing #8 and after that he probably wanted people to not associate that number with that time in his life.

Hence #24
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Awesome. Not one, but two jerseys. Beast.
rebirthoftheM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
They can just put a "8/24" or just stack the numbers vertically. I don't see the need for 2 jersey's.

yUP. 2 jerseys would be awkward

I'm sure when the 3 point line into the NBA, there were many purists who objected to it. In time, everyone adjusted. Same case with zone defenses.

In this case, Kobe's jersey retirement presents a very unique situation. I don't think we're ever going to see another player have a historic, top 10 of all time 20 year career for a single franchise, while wearing two jerseys for exactly 10 years a piece, with both 10 year spans of HOF status. Hell it's never happened in NBA history.

So strike this off as unique situation that deserves a unique response.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
I'm not a die-hard Kobe can do no wrong fan, but 2003, 2006 and 2008 he great cases for MVP. 2003 was the Shaq injured on company time surgery season and Kobe carried that team while Shaq recovered and played his way into shape. Duncan and Garnett had more votes, but in 2003 the only good players on that Lakers team were he and Shaq. The rest were in steep decline. 2006 he had Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm and Brian Cook in his starting lineups. The only help whatsoever was LO. It was a damn miracle they got into the playoffs. Not to mention he averaged 35 points. No need to talk about 2008 since he won it that season. That being said, I don't believe Kobe was "greater" than Magic or Kareem. They're all about the same to me. Don't let recency bias diminish what Magic and Kareem did.

Worst case, kobe should have 3 MVP's, best case 5. All the seasons you mentioned plus 2009, but the cavs won 1 more game than us so they gave it to bron.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

He said he wanted a new start reborn for black mamba etc my thought was that the sexual assault case was when he was wearing #8 and after that he probably wanted people to not associate that number with that time in his life.

Hence #24

He had also worn 24 in hs before he switched to 33.

And there was a rumor that he didn't want to associate with #8 anymore to also prevent his former sponsors who dropped him from continuing to market/capitalize off of any of his former products, which they still had the right to utilize (I believe Adidas in particular).
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I think Kobe definitely deserved the one he got.

I think you can make a strong case for him in 06, but that depends on how much you factor in team record. (That was the big split year where 5 or 6 guys got first place votes)

There are a few other years you can make a case for him, but I think other guys were more deserving. So I think he deserved 2.

Stupid argument as to why they need to retire 2 numbers for Kobe, he had awesome accomplishments on both numbers, so no one else will ever wear the other number as a Laker in the future if only one is retired. A number that nobody else will use in the future is a number that needs to be retired.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15
Jump to: