Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 910
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

Good that they are retiring both. It should be done. I think 24 is means more than 8 slightly.


I felt Kobe took his game to another level with 24, where to 8, he was living in Shaq's shadow somewhat (that can be debated)
_________________
I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 6603
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss

LeBronzo JamBall 2018

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 28573
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I'll be there woot woot!


Nice! Don't forget to give us your take after the game!
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakertang
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 2131
Location: Staples Center Boiler Room

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Use a hologram. The expensive type. From one angle it looks like 8 from another 24. Your welcome.
_________________
R.I.P Magic Wand!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 3746

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Judah wrote:
ocho wrote:
epak wrote:
ocho wrote:
Shouldn't they wait to see if he makes the Hall of Fame?




I hope it's both 8 and 24


Putting up both numbers wouldn't look right. Besides, he ditched #8. They should hang #24 but not let anyone wear #8.

Seems rather silly to not retire 8 while not allowing anyone to wear it. If you're not gonna let anyone wear it, just retire it.


Sillier than putting two jerseys in the rafters of the same player?


Both are gimmicks, let's hope we haven't sunk to that level


Yes I mean Kobe is a criminal after all right VLF?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 3229

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?


I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.



It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo


To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.


it was part of marketing because of the Colorado thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 3229

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

because Kareem and Magic only wore one?
i think Kobe is greater than both
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Posts: 3286

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

^yup, he is
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 14946

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
^yup, he is
GOAT
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 7862
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Retire both but only put one jersey (possibly with both numbers) in the rafters. I think it would look dumb to have 2 Bryant jerseys.

I also think they're doing this too soon. What is the rush here? Kobe will likely have a statue by 2019 too. I don't understand the need for rushing all of this.
_________________
LAKERS-DODGERS-BUCCANEERS-KINGS-GALAXY-TROJANS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 4097

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Now people complaining that this is rushed.

Who the hell cares? He's a surefire HOF. He'll be there eventually so why wait? Shaq got his jersey retired on the 2nd season after retirement. Same thing for the GOAT.
_________________
2018 Offseason:

Sign LeBron and PG
Keep Randle and Lopez

Starters: Ball - George - LeBron - Randle - Lopez
Bench: Ingram - Kuzma - Nance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Grind
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 6698
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

lakertang wrote:
Use a hologram. The expensive type. From one angle it looks like 8 from another 24. Your welcome.


I like this idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27699

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
This is a great signal to LeBron. See, the Lakers revere and honor their superstars!!


I'd say the timing isn't accidental either. They retire his jersey the season before the Lakers have a chance to go big in free agency.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?


I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.



It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo


To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.


it was part of marketing because of the Colorado thing

What? He switched to 24 during the 2006-2007 season. That's three seasons removed from Colorado.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Apr 2016
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
markjay wrote:
This is a great signal to LeBron. See, the Lakers revere and honor their superstars!!


I'd say the timing isn't accidental either. They retire his jersey the season before the Lakers have a chance to go big in free agency.


I'm somewhat surprised that they're not doing it on January 3rd instead when OKC comes to town. Give Paul George and Russell Westbrook something to ponder the possibilities of from the Staples Center bench right before the trade deadline hits and they enter free agency a few months later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ziggy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 9381

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

They can just put a "8/24" or just stack the numbers vertically. I don't see the need for 2 jersey's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 1342

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
markjay wrote:
This is a great signal to LeBron. See, the Lakers revere and honor their superstars!!


I'd say the timing isn't accidental either. They retire his jersey the season before the Lakers have a chance to go big in free agency.


I'm somewhat surprised that they're not doing it on January 3rd instead when OKC comes to town. Give Paul George and Russell Westbrook something to ponder the possibilities of from the Staples Center bench right before the trade deadline hits and they enter free agency a few months later.

Or CLE when LeBron comes. My best guess for why they didn't choose one of those games is probably because of the mini scandal surrounding the tampering allegation. The media would've been all over it speculation wise and all of those talks would've ignited all over again. It's wiser for them to avoid bad press.

It also wouldn't have been fair to Kobe to have his night overshadowed with all of those unrelated subplots.
_________________
"We shall never be clothed with the righteousness of Christ except we first know assuredly that we have no righteousness of our own."

- John Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PRLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 4097

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Why are people still arguing about how they'll do it? One jersey with two numbers, holograms... Geez

Kobe: "As a kid growing up in Italy, I always dreamed of my jersey hanging in the Lakers rafters, but I certainly never imagined two of them,"

Magic: "I look forward to seeing BOTH of his jerseys be retired and celebrating this special day with Kobe and his family."

Jeannie: "Kobe's jerseys are taking their rightful home next to the greatest Lakers of all time,"
_________________
2018 Offseason:

Sign LeBron and PG
Keep Randle and Lopez

Starters: Ball - George - LeBron - Randle - Lopez
Bench: Ingram - Kuzma - Nance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 14378

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

LOL @ the ticket prices on the day his jerseys are to be retired.
Even in his retirement, Kobe still makes money for the Lakers.

_________________
Kobe's Top 5 Dunks, 81 points, MJ last gm @Staples
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27699

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
LOL @ the ticket prices on the day his jerseys are to be retired.
Even in his retirement, Kobe still makes money for the Lakers.


I don't think Lakers get any of that cut...thats going to the scalpers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17733

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
LOL @ the ticket prices on the day his jerseys are to be retired.
Even in his retirement, Kobe still makes money for the Lakers.


Aren't the ticket prices the same?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 12376
Location: 714/562

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure they'll make more in merchandise sales than any other normal game that day
_________________
DISGUSTING: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IUtf6-avo2c
Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
55
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 10932

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I prefer one jersey cut diagonally:

8/24
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sportsmuze
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Oct 2007
Posts: 3772

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
I prefer one jersey cut diagonally:

8/24


I like this as well

Simplicity is best here... will look the most classy when all said and done. Visualising the area... this seems natural
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 13164

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
lakertang wrote:
Use a hologram. The expensive type. From one angle it looks like 8 from another 24. Your welcome.


I like this idea.


And then have 2pac show up.
_________________
2017: Lonzo . KCP . Brandon . Julius . Brook
2018: Lonzo . Paul . Brandon . Lebron . Julius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB