Kobe Jersey Retirement: 12-18-17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo

To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.

it was part of marketing because of the Colorado thing

What? He switched to 24 during the 2006-2007 season. That's three seasons removed from Colorado.

I think it was the image rebuilding thing. Kobe's jersey was not selling well even at his peak 2006 season, he had no signature sneakers at the time, and because of the Colorado thing, his endorsement was declining, so changing his number to 24 was a pure marketing move and a very successful one. Kobe was the golden child before the Colorado thing as he represented every major brand. Without that thing, Kobe could've made a lot of money than he did.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject:

It is a Monday game, wonder if ESPN will carry it as a special edition game?
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Maybe ESPN2 since ESPN will have MNF.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Judah wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
So basically the formality of it all is a turn off to you, although what you propose has the substantive effect (i.e. in both cases, no one will be allowed to wear the jersey) ?

I feel like I keep repeating what should be a fairly easy to understand opinion so I'll try one last time. For me, it feels goofy to see Bryants name twice up there. There are other ways for them to honor #8, like with his inevitable statue and by not letting anyone else wear it. I understand his situation is unique, but it also sets a weird precedent. If, for example, Lonzo Ball has a HOF career with the Lakers and changes his number twice over the course of his career, are we going to put 3 jerseys in the rafters? For me that space is to honor the great players, not the great laundry. I guess we can see how it looks when it goes up but it disrupts the uniformity of the space. It has nothing to do with him as a player.

It can just be one jersey with two numbers on it you know....

And for the record, the only reason this is being done is because both #8 and #24 if separated would qualify for the HOF. If lonzo or whoever also does jersey changes, then it's gonna depend on if each number as a separate player would qualify for the HOF. imo

To me, Kobe's switch to a second Laker player number was just a reflection of the player's ego, an affectation really, coupled to pure and simple marketing of a team's indulgence of its sensitive star. Sell two jerseys in every shade. One retired jersey per player hangs up high today, as it should be. A second retired number for the same guy feels quite meaningless really, except as a symbol of player pomposity.

it was part of marketing because of the Colorado thing

What? He switched to 24 during the 2006-2007 season. That's three seasons removed from Colorado.

I think it was the image rebuilding thing. Kobe's jersey was not selling well even at his peak 2006 season, he had no signature sneakers at the time, and because of the Colorado thing, his endorsement was declining, so changing his number to 24 was a pure marketing move and a very successful one. Kobe was the golden child before the Colorado thing as he represented every major brand. Without that thing, Kobe could've made a lot of money than he did.

actually, he wore the zoom kobe 2 in the 06-07 season.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

Ryan1973 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Maybe ESPN2 since ESPN will have MNF.

Currently it's NBA TV.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
They can just put a "8/24" or just stack the numbers vertically. I don't see the need for 2 jersey's.

yUP. 2 jerseys would be awkward
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
They can just put a "8/24" or just stack the numbers vertically. I don't see the need for 2 jersey's.

#8 will have Bryant.
#24 will have Mamba haha
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
Good that they are retiring both. It should be done. I think 24 is means more than 8 slightly.

I felt Kobe took his game to another level with 24, where to 8, he was living in Shaq's shadow somewhat (that can be debated)

I think this is part of the beauty of retiring both numbers. Each number means something different. For some fans #8 represents nostalgia, the birth of a superstar. For others, #24 represents Kobe's mastery of his craft.

Both are equally meaningful to me, the way chapters of a book together tell a bigger story.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

IMO a wide jersey in comparison to the rest would awkward.. IMO.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

because Kareem and Magic only wore one?
i think Kobe is greater than both

How many MVP awards did Kobe win? 1

How many did Kareem win? 6

How many did Magic win? 3

Time dulls the senses I guess.

Kobe is a great player, a gunner and an great closer, but come on- Magic is the best team leader of all time and Kareem is the all time scoring leader, six time MVP and the guy played amazing D. Kobe scored a lot and played great D, but he also leads the league in missed shots.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

The player that many would call the greatest Laker ever (Magic) called Kobe the greatest Laker ever. Seems convincing enough for me.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Saltine Fury...Day 3.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
So there will be two separate jerseys in the rafters? I don't mind at all retiring both numbers but two jerseys is not good in my opinion.

Kobe is great but why should he get two jerseys when Kareem and Magic only get one? Kobe is not greater than Kareem or Magic. I hope they retire just one jersey and put both numbers on it.

Kobe is a great player, a gunner and an great closer, but come on- Magic is the best team leader of all time and Kareem is the all time scoring leader, six time MVP and the guy played amazing D. Kobe scored a lot and played great D, but he also leads the league in missed shots.

That's why all 3 are in the running for GOAT (with Kareem leading) but no need to downplay Kobe to prop up Kareem/Magic
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Saltine Fury...Day 3.

In a LAKERS forum none the less... no bueno
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Saltine Fury...Day 3.

In a LAKERS forum none the less... no bueno

As I said, the usual suspects still can't deal.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
The player that many would call the greatest Laker ever (Magic) called Kobe the greatest Laker ever. Seems convincing enough for me.

Let's acknowledge Magic's role. Someone charged with the duties of maximizing owner's equity in the club can hardly be viewed as someone capable of being objective, right ?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Judah wrote:

Let's acknowledge Magic's role. Someone charged with the duties of maximizing owner's equity in the club can hardly be viewed as someone capable of being objective, right ?

Let's also acknowledge that Magic said that well over a year ago, before he took over as President of Basketball Ops. Try again.

It's also laughably ironic that you'd challenge Magic's ability to be objective in that debate when he's the one saying that someone else is better than him It'd make a lot more sense if it was the other way around.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Judah wrote:

Let's also acknowledge that Magic said that well over a year ago, before he took over as President of Basketball Ops. Try again.

It's also laughably ironic that you'd challenge Magic's ability to be objective in that debate when he's the one saying that someone else is better than him It'd make a lot more sense if it was the other way around.

No, sorry that's not irony. Magic's credibility as a adjudicator of player greatness is far from impartiality, but I do respect the guy's opinion. He's just wrong. We each decide for ourselves who's great and I have no Laker axe to grind, unlike Magic.

And BTW, let's see: could it be he'd have said anything necessary to get back with the Lakers ? Yeah, that's in there too.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Judah wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Judah wrote:

No, sorry that's not irony. Magic's credibility as a adjudicator of player greatness is far from impartiality, but I do respect the guy's opinion. He's just wrong. We each decide for ourselves who's great and I have no Laker axe to grind, unlike Magic.

And BTW, let's see: could it be he'd have said anything necessary to get back with the Lakers ? Yeah, that's in there too.

As if Magic Frickin Johnson would have to say 'anything necessary' to get back in with the Lakers...OMG!!!

Pomposity...that was your word, right?? Now THAT is irony.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

Wow You seriously just shot your credibility in the foot with that last part.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

Of course you should retire both of Kobe's numbers. If you're gonna do something, do it as best and grand and exquisitely as you can. Go big or go home.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

That's why all 3 are in the running for GOAT (with Kareem leading) but no need to downplay Kobe to prop up Kareem/Magic

That is my honest opinion of Kobe. He was awesome, amazing, he had a legendary work ethic but a lot times his overshooting made me cringe.

I could at least imagine that Kobe, Magic and Kareem are equal but to say, like the poster who responded to me, that Kobe is better than Kareem and Magic is IMO just not true.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Am I in the wrong forum? Do we seriously have lakers fans bickering over kobe's jersey retirement??
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

you are entitled to your opinion, and i am entitled to mine. to me, Kobe is better than Magic and Kareem at least a far more complete basketball player.
now Kobe has been robbed of multiple MVPS, so i don't think your point is valid here. is Nash greater than Kobe too?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

I dont know why people are complaining that both numbers are going to be retired, quite simply if Magic or Kareem had wore multiple numbers both would be retired in their case too

we have been fortunate as Laker fans to see so many great players take teh floor for our team

Congrats Kobe well deserved honor GO LAKERS !
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15
Jump to: