Star Wars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Star Wars

Is there an official Star Wars thread? I could not find it.

J.J. ABRAMS TO WRITE AND DIRECT STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

Quote:
J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.

Star Wars: Episode IX is scheduled for release on December 20, 2019.

With so many similarities between the original trilogy and this new one, is it any surprise that the director for the first installment of the trilogy returns for the third one? Does this mean the second, directed by Rian Johnson, will be the best of the three?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I didn't realize that Rian Johnson directed a few episodes (3) of Breaking Bad. I was wondering what he was up to since Looper (I really liked that movie).

I was looking forward to this movie since the announcement of the new trilogy, I knew the first one was most likely gonna be nostalgia-fest and the second one would hopefully be more self-contained.

I have a feeling the third isn't gonna be that good either. Rogue One is the best Star Wars since Empire and I don't think that will change.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=7227797

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Rogue One is the best Star Wars since Empire

Definitely not. Episodes 1 and 6 were better than Rogue One. There are individual scenes in both of those that are better than the whole of Rogue One.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Definitely not. Episodes 1 and 6 were better than Rogue One. There are individual scenes in both of those that are better than the whole of Rogue One.

The 1 Darth Maul scene is Episode 1 is no reason to rank it above Rogue One. RO had some flaws, but it was still a fun movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=7227797

Thanks! Maybe these topics can be merged. Make an *****OFFICIAL STAR WARS THREAD***** thread because lord knows we need it.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

People liked Rogue One? Huh
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

People didn't like Rogue One? Huh
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

The 1 Darth Maul scene is Episode 1 is no reason to rank it above Rogue One. RO had some flaws, but it was still a fun movie.

Darth Maul had 3 fight sequences, and his fight against Obi Wan is one of the best fight scenes in any movie. The Pod Racing segment was fantastic. Add to that prime Liam Neeson, muppet Yoda, John Williams' last great SW score, Lucas imaginative magic...fugheddaboudit. Rogue One's greatest features were OT callbacks.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Ever since Disney took over, it's been overrated trash for the SW franchise beginning with the dumping of EU canon.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Darth Maul had 3 fight sequences, and his fight against Obi Wan is one of the best fight scenes in any movie. The Pod Racing segment was fantastic. Add to that prime Liam Neeson, muppet Yoda, John Williams' last great SW score, Lucas imaginative magic...fugheddaboudit. Rogue One's greatest features were OT callbacks.

It's a matter of taste, I guess. I would rate Ep 1 as the worst in the series, and I hated the pod race. Liam Neeson looked embarrassed to be there, the plot was terrible, and Jar Jar Binks was a major character.

After writing the previous paragraph, I decided to find out how other people ranked the movies. I'm in the majority. Again, it's a matter of taste.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/all-star-wars-movies-ranked-by-tomatometer/
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing RO with TFA?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's a matter of taste, I guess. I would rate Ep 1 as the worst in the series, and I hated the pod race. Liam Neeson looked embarrassed to be there, the plot was terrible, and Jar Jar Binks was a major character.

After writing the previous paragraph, I decided to find out how other people ranked the movies. I'm in the majority. Again, it's a matter of taste.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/all-star-wars-movies-ranked-by-tomatometer/

I don't despise Binks as much as most people do and I understand how this would skew my bias. I thought Neeson was great.

The fact that people ranked Episode 1 below either of the Hayden Christensen movies makes that distinction worth almost nothing to me.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
20,000 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing RO with TFA?

I'm sure. I didn't like RO but I didn't hate it...I hated TFA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Rogue One was largely meh and adds nothing to the Star Wars universe other than the end scene with Vader. That freaking ROCKED and saved the whole movie for me.

I wish the movie focused on Vader more. That was the first time we got to see his brutality on screen and understand why he was so feared.

One of the biggest shortcomings of eps 1-3 is you never see Vader being a savage. They should have showed him killing the sand people and slaughtering the younglings. His character arc would be waaaaay better and it would add some reward for when his character gets redeemed.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I hope its good. One thing that annoys me about Abrams is that he rehashes old ideas. Meh.

I thought Rogue One was entertaining but nothing special except the last thirty minutes or so.

I find Phantom menace unwatchable.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I thought Rogue One was pretty good. Of course, it didn't have the mythic qualities of the main story. The tone (if not the quality) was closer to Saving Private Ryan than the Star Wars films. I would have preferred less of Digital Christopher Lee. It was neat the first time, but I thought it had rapidly diminishing returns.

I thought the Vader scene at the end was stupid. I can understand why folks like 22 feel differently, but the idea of Vader taking on a host of rebel troops by himself makes no sense and runs contrary to the way things worked in the main film. It should have been a wave of storm troopers. Commanders don't charge the enemy lines.

I also had an issue with the cameo by Digital Princess Leia at the end. Why would she be on board the ship at this battle? It really made no sense, and it seemed like a clunky attempt to create the illusion of continuity.

But the story was really complete at that point. While I found that stuff annoying, it didn't spoil the movie for me.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

^LOL @ Digital Christopher Lee.

The Princess's ship was docked on the Mon Calamari Cruiser for repairs, when the order came to converge on Sariff they were part of the party. It's in the Book but they probably had to edit it out for timing, pacing. etc...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I thought Rogue One was pretty good. Of course, it didn't have the mythic qualities of the main story. The tone (if not the quality) was closer to Saving Private Ryan than the Star Wars films. I would have preferred less of Digital Christopher Lee. It was neat the first time, but I thought it had rapidly diminishing returns.

I thought the Vader scene at the end was stupid. I can understand why folks like 22 feel differently, but the idea of Vader taking on a host of rebel troops by himself makes no sense and runs contrary to the way things worked in the main film. It should have been a wave of storm troopers. Commanders don't charge the enemy lines.

I also had an issue with the cameo by Digital Princess Leia at the end. Why would she be on board the ship at this battle? It really made no sense, and it seemed like a clunky attempt to create the illusion of continuity.

But the story was really complete at that point. While I found that stuff annoying, it didn't spoil the movie for me.

?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear they dumped Colin Trevorrow. Had no idea what they were thinking going with him in the first place.

I'm okay with Abrams (definitely better than Trevorrow), but would prefer they go with someone new.

Seems like opinions on Star Wars here are all over the place. That's cool actually.

I thought Rogue One was meh. It wasn't a terrible movie, it just didn't have any of what makes me actually like Star Wars. I was incredibly bored. The characters are lifeless. Tried to watch it again recently on Netflix and couldn't make it past the first 20 minutes or so.

On the other hand, I enjoyed The Force Awakens. I get that it's a soft reboot of A New Hope, but it's fun, it has characters that I actually care about, and I like the performances by Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver.

And all of the prequels are bad. Like terrible movies with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Maybe Ewan McGregor's performance as Obi-Wan, but he can't save the script there.

When I was a kid watching A New Hope, never once did I say, "You know what would make this even better? If Obi-Wan and Vader incorporated flips and martial arts into their lightsaber fights! Or a robot with two lightsabers!"
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Rogue One was largely meh and adds nothing to the Star Wars universe other than the end scene with Vader. That freaking ROCKED and saved the whole movie for me.

I wish the movie focused on Vader more. That was the first time we got to see his brutality on screen and understand why he was so feared.

One of the biggest shortcomings of eps 1-3 is you never see Vader being a savage. They should have showed him killing the sand people and slaughtering the younglings. His character arc would be waaaaay better and it would add some reward for when his character gets redeemed.

Yep, and a reason why they need a Darth Vader movie....too bad though, I don't think Disney would go for it since it would be pretty dark....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
Glad to hear they dumped Colin Trevorrow. Had no idea what they were thinking going with him in the first place.

From what I've heard, he kind of screwed himself with the politics he played in getting Jurassic World and then delivering a horrible job on "The Book of Henry" was the kiss of death.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

?

Yeah, I meant Peter Cushing. Tarkin, not Dooku.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:

The story concept was cooler than the uninteresting, monotone characters could flesh out. But it was still cool.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Ben Vereen wrote:

I could barely get through it. Part of the issue, for me at least, is that any Star Wars movie is going to be handcuffed by fan expectation. Theres a reason that people keep leaving for "creative differences". Star Wars isn't a movie from 1977 anymore. It's a feeling. People may say they want to see something new with the franchise, but they're really just chasing the high of the first. That's why even something like Rogue One, which on its face is trying to do something completely different, ends up being another clone that must tie into the main story and feature the time honored characters rather than flesh out new ones. A new Star Wars can never be anything new because if it were it wouldn't be enough like Star Wars. I always get a kick when people go bananas over the teaser trailers which are almost entirely John Williams and lightsaber sfx. Abrams and Howard are the perfect guys to make these movies. Talented pros who will copy the originals and have no interest in taking it anywhere new.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: