Firefighter suspended after saying he'd rather save one dog than a million <black slur>
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
Anyway, I'll leave it that. I swore off political discussions on this board a few months ago. This was just a brief relapse.

How are things at the home? Won any BINGO lately?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
Anyway, I'll leave it that. I swore off political discussions on this board a few months ago. [b]This was just a brief relapse[/b].

I don't live in a home. Stop projecting.

Seriously, I'm still waiting for the adjuster to show up. I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wandering, where it will go.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
Anyway, I'll leave it that. I swore off political discussions on this board a few months ago. [b]This was just a brief relapse[/b].

I don't live in a home. Stop projecting.

Seriously, I'm still waiting for the adjuster to show up. I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wandering, where it will go.

Not projecting, taking a page from your book. Does that upset you?

Man, I feel you. Thank goodness Maria missed you.

If you had solar power and hurricane knocked out electricity for, lets say, three days, would solar allow you to have electricity?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If we had one or two of those (How dare they shoot that gorilla!), it would be one thing. But we seem to have a constant stream of this stuff. Is it any surprise that our politics resembles the daytime TV screamfests?

Anyway, I'll leave it that. I swore off political discussions on this board a few months ago. This was just a brief relapse.

Uuuhhh... Taiwan wins by a mile. Fisticuffs occur all the time in parliament.
Men punching women due to disagreements. It's insane in there.

It's also pretty rough outside. Although the issue is mostly due to one factor, which is that some people want full independence and others want to be tied closer to China.

I do understand your points about the politics thread.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:
Same with the Confederate flag. Yeah for Treason? Yeah for generals who could have fought for the North but decided that slavery was awesome?

This is destined to get merged into The Political Thread, but I'll give you a response to that is only quasi-political. Has it struck anyone else that our culture seems to be constantly jumping from one bit of minutiae to another, with people getting outraged over some of the oddest things.

Wedding cakes for gay marriages

Transsexuals in the restroom

Kneeling for the national anthem

There are probably a lot more examples. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong to be against Confederate symbolism, but with everything else that is going on in the world, is this really what matters? Are we as a society really so easily distracted?

dont lump all those in together in the same pot. they are different issues and have different reasons people protest them.

Is having statues that big of a deal? well ask the General lee himself. he knew better than to have these statues around. he didnt want one of himself put up. yet they decided to do it anyway. Why? intimidation tactics. Should non black americans be concerned about statues lying around that were put up for black intimidation purposes? I think so. Why? because if you let that stuff linger around.. you are also Okaying the actions that come behind that mentality. Should black americans be concerned about those statues lying around? YES. Since if they never come down, then it clearly means what people say about not being racist is just that..words. When it's time to put it into action things switch up. This is apart of Americas Dark past but also Americas present and Future. If racism died with the civil war. I would agree, lets not worry about some statues when all americans understand what thats all about and they want nothing to do with them because cism is behind us. but we all know thats not the case.

The kneeling. well i hear non blacks all the time talk about black people when they riot. "why wont they just have a PEACFUL protest." well.. here ya go a nice quiet peaceful, non violent protest. Yet that becomes an issue for some. Even though some people think they are defending the honor of our soldiers dead/and alive. They forget that the soldiers are supposed to be fighting for our freedom above all else. our freedom to be upset with our own country and to speak out about it and to say I wont say or stand for an anthem that does not include me in it because the majority of the population doesnt seem to like the idea of allowing me to live like a full on 100% american citizen. Being a BLack America seems to mean I'm about 70% american. So that also gives people a license to mistreat and abuse said black americans. Should people be all up in arms about said abuse? Of course you should. Should people be all up in arms about a person kneeling because of it? No. But its easier to be mad at the kneeling than to actually do something about what the guy was kneeling about to begin with.

Someone may say but if we go to war with NK. then why be concerned with statues and BLM(not the organization... the theme). Well because the war wont last forever and someone will be left standing and those left standing dont want to come back home to fight yet another war in their own country to be seen as, and treated as 100% American citizens. Remember this has happened before. Blacks have fault in a many of american war, then come home to terrible treatment.

What good is a country where people are mistreating others to the extent blacks/minorites have been mistreated in America?

It's like a father beating his wife and kids at home, while being a great man outside the home. he's the town's sheriff. Everyone loves him. he opens the door for women. He throws footballs with the kids. he's always doing charity work. The moment he comes home. He turns evil again.

That is America in a nutshell. You can't erase those sins by trying to do good in other areas. It doesnt work that way. But people always try to go about it in that manner because its much harder to go to the issues that you have and fix those. It takes time, it takes a lot of effort. You're going to have to take a lot of heat to boot. Whether in the bible or out of it. It tells you to take care of home first. once thats taken care of. The rest will be a lot easier. You can then replicate what you've done at home, elsewhere.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Have you seen what people in other parts of the world get worked up over?

I'm not sure what you mean. Offhand, I don't know of another society that gets as obsessed with social media driven plotlines as us.
now that is true. but what other society as the time to do so? To do that, you have to have a lot of time on your hand. even though it doesnt seem like it. we do. you need to have certain luxuries where you're not worry about certain things and you obsess over whats on FB, Twitter, the gram, snapchat,etc.

but the other thing is for us olders...is that social media is real media. not that it isnt some fake news in there. but it is REAL now. It's no longer just something we think isnt real because we dont see the actual people's faces and their mouths moving like on the TV news stations. Half of the TV/Radio news is coming from topics created due to whats going on via social media. because social media is darn near LIVE as of right now. The old school news has to keep up. back in the day these things existed. these issues were always there. Some journalist in the middle of ohio probably wrote a story about that cake not being baked for the homosexual couple and the issue that could occur. But no one read it aside from a few locals. Now that same article is blasted over the internet in real time for all the world to see at the same time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I think Aeneas Hunter's and my comments were clearly overall generalizations of the basic temperament and reactions in our current society. Him and I likely disagree on many issues, especially the details, but it was really looking at our society from 10,000 feet. I tried to put as many qualifiers in as possible to ensure it was not taken to refer to any specific subject or related to any specific political thought. Lets not turn this thread into an ideology based political thread.....especially for those of us that have chose to avoid that section of the forum for the most part.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I think Aeneas Hunter's and my comments were clearly overall generalizations of the basic temperament and reactions in our current society. Him and I likely disagree on many issues, especially the details, but it was really looking at our society from 10,000 feet. I tried to put as many qualifiers in as possible to ensure it was not taken to refer to any specific subject or related to any specific political thought. Lets not turn this thread into an ideology based political thread.....especially for those of us that have chose to avoid that section of the forum for the most part.

"Generalizations" is being too kind. Reducing issues of Human Rights down to the simple rants of social justice warriors was disgusting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

"Generalizations" is being too kind. Reducing issues of Human Rights down to the simple rants of social justice warriors was disgusting.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This sort of comment is why I swore off political discussions on this board.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This sort of comment is why I swore off political discussions on this board.

Thats what you did though.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tlim wrote:
Same with the Confederate flag. Yeah for Treason? Yeah for generals who could have fought for the North but decided that slavery was awesome?

This is destined to get merged into The Political Thread, but I'll give you a response to that is only quasi-political. Has it struck anyone else that our culture seems to be constantly jumping from one bit of minutiae to another, with people getting outraged over some of the oddest things.

Wedding cakes for gay marriages

Transsexuals in the restroom

Kneeling for the national anthem

There are probably a lot more examples. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong to be against Confederate symbolism, but with everything else that is going on in the world, is this really what matters? Are we as a society really so easily distracted?

Hear your point, but not sure you want to equate people being against the rights of gays, transsexuals, and protesters; with being against the symbols of the very white supremacists who are actively working to deny rights to others, and who have allies if not outright fellow travelers running most levels of government.

Of course. You're righteous, and the other people are evil and misguided. Every culture warrior feels that way. These days, we have an awful lot of culture warriors in politics.

Nah, it isn't about being righteous. It is a fact that the vast majority of the confederate monuments were out up after the turn of the century by revisionist, admittedly racist groups associated with the Klan (the second Klan, which turned out to be more murderous than the first) at the same time as the same groups were ushering in the Jim Crow era. Those statues were put on public property as a reminder to blacks that although the war was lost, the whites were still the masters.

There was no honor being memorialized, just the brutality of a traitorous war fought for the right to own humans. Even though there was a massive attempt to sanitize their heroes (Robert e Lee spent his post war years fighting against black rights), what they were memorializing was the right to brutalized darker skinned humans.

So no, you can't with any real logical correctness begin to equate people who want those statues removed from government buildings and parks with people who don't want to serve some folks the same products as others because they are bigoted against their sexuality. People who fight to discriminate and people who fight against it are not equivalent, not even if you toss in highly technical and intellectual arguments like, "you're a culture warrior".
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Trump has released the Kraken.

No he didn't.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Trump has released the Kraken.

No he didn't.

I didn't know Stu Lantz had an account here, welcome!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Yes, there are people just looking to be outraged, and they exist across the ideological spectrum, but you can't really discuss ideological and political motivations, "generalize" by lumping those who fight to discriminate with those who fight against it, and reduce the urge to remove symbols of deep bigotry and hatred to culture warriors, and then ask everyone to just back off of speaking about the politics. Well, you can, but not very effectively.

Fwiw, I understand the urge to not take part in a discussion where one is not in the position of being the numerically and ideologically privileged aggressor (which is kind of the right wing apoplexy about "losing our country and our culture" in neat microcosm). It is often the temperament of ideological privilege to not wish to do combat with a well armed opposition that fires back.

I also understand the urge by many people to view the symbols of the Confederacy with some revisionist, sanitized, and/or "what's the big deal here" position that comes with never ever having spent a day in their life outside of the privilege of not personally feeling the ramifications of white supremacy. It is easy to rationalize or romanticize white supremacy symbols as relatively harmless cultural remembrance undeserving of outrage in that position.

What's ironic is that the position in and if itself is a form of culture war, the rear guard position of wanting the world to go back to when folks of non dominant sexuality, gender, and racial identity didn't get to challenge and disrupt the activities and symbols of the dominant order.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yes, there are people just looking to be outraged, and they exist across the ideological spectrum, but you can't really discuss ideological and political motivations, "generalize" by lumping those who fight to discriminate with those who fight against it, and reduce the urge to remove symbols of deep bigotry and hatred to culture warriors, and then ask everyone to just back off of speaking about the politics. Well, you can, but not very effectively.

Fwiw, I understand the urge to not take part in a discussion where one is not in the position of being the numerically and ideologically privileged aggressor (which is kind of the right wing apoplexy about "losing our country and our culture" in neat microcosm). It is often the temperament of ideological privilege to not wish to do combat with a well armed opposition that fires back.

I also understand the urge by many people to view the symbols of the Confederacy with some revisionist, sanitized, and/or "what's the big deal here" position that comes with never ever having spent a day in their life outside of the privilege of not personally feeling the ramifications of white supremacy. It is easy to rationalize or romanticize white supremacy symbols as relatively harmless cultural remembrance undeserving of outrage in that position.

What's ironic is that the position in and if itself is a form of culture war, the rear guard position of wanting the world to go back to when folks of non dominant sexuality, gender, and racial identity didn't get to challenge and disrupt the activities and symbols of the dominant order.

not sure how much clearer I can be guy, I am not talking about white privilege, confederate symbols or anything else your including in this diatribe.....I literally said this in my very first response in this thread....and my second....and now my third. I was not insinuating any political views....I mean I literally went out of my way to make that point clear so these "you guys" responses would not take place.

My only single point is as a society, we need to chill our "defensive shield" to everyone outside of our bubbles, and focus on the 95 or 97 or even 99% of the similarities in all of us instead of seeking to get hung up of the fractional elements of each of us that is not as similar within our beliefs and perspectives. We all want to be successful, to be healthy, to have happiness within our families and communities. If we could just communicate to one another if offended, instead of parsing every syllable hoping to find a misplaced word and immediately seeking "our team" to build up our anger while pointing fingers....well, I just think we could progress individually and as a society at a more rapid pace. Finally, we all have to remember that none of us have a right to never be offended or feel less than desirable about someone or something in our environment.

Your response to my post is screaming my point....it literally has nothing to do with anything you mention in your response.....but dammit your trying so hard to climb up on that cross and pontificate your ideological dogma to those that "just don't get it". I get your intelligent and have an urge to discuss/debate these political issues......but it is on you as much as anyone that this forums political thread (where these topics belong IMO) is little more than an elementary level echo chamber of users playing the roles of Pete and Repeat.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

not sure how much clearer I can be guy, I am not talking about white privilege, confederate symbols or anything else your including in this diatribe.....I literally said this in my very first response in this thread....and my second....and now my third. I was not insinuating any political views....I mean I literally went out of my way to make that point clear so these "you guys" responses would not take place.

My only single point is as a society, we need to chill our "defensive shield" to everyone outside of our bubbles, and focus on the 95 or 97 or even 99% of the similarities in all of us instead of seeking to get hung up of the fractional elements of each of us that is not as similar within our beliefs and perspectives. We all want to be successful, to be healthy, to have happiness within our families and communities. If we could just communicate to one another if offended, instead of parsing every syllable hoping to find a misplaced word and immediately seeking "our team" to build up our anger while pointing fingers....well, I just think we could progress individually and as a society at a more rapid pace. Finally, we all have to remember that none of us have a right to never be offended or feel less than desirable about someone or something in our environment.

Your response to my post is screaming my point....it literally has nothing to do with anything you mention in your response.....but dammit your trying so hard to climb up on that cross and pontificate your ideological dogma to those that "just don't get it". I get your intelligent and have an urge to discuss/debate these political issues......but it is on you as much as anyone that this forums political thread (where these topics belong IMO) is little more than an elementary level echo chamber of users playing the roles of Pete and Repeat.

you linked your comment with aenas hunter's... which clearly lumping the fight to preserve confederate statues with the fight against denying gays to be served a cake... and now you're calling the response merely an echo chambers. These are deep issues that actually affect people's life. It might not affect you directly but you shouldn't reduce the importance of it
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Yep. I discovered that hanging out in the echo chamber was actually distorting my perceptions of what was going on in politics. I suspect that it's the same with right wingers who read Breitbart and hang out their own echo chambers. There are many people who don't even realize that they're culture warriors. They just think that they're "right."

I got my first taste of this 10-15 years ago from a guy on the right. For him, it's all about the Constitution. Not the real Constitution as interpreted by the courts, but the hypothetical Constitution as interpreted by the hypothetical founding fathers. Amazingly, the Constitution and the founding fathers agreed with everything this guy believed. In his eyes, we just needed to get back to the real America that the founding fathers intended. (Yes, I had some fun asking him if that included slavery and denying the vote to women.)

The point is that guys like that don't perceive themselves as culture warriors. They're righteous.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Actually, your response was in response to Aeneas Hunter responding to my response to his. So what you chose to jump into was a series on AH's assertion that certain people just want to be outraged about (implication being rather petty) things. And he then gave a list if what he proposed to be similar petty things people get outraged about, ranging from making cakes for gay people and what bathroom people use, to the removal of confederate monuments from public lands.

I objected on the factual merits of both the importance of those things and of their unequivocal differences. In return, I was given the term culture warrior and told I was (self) righteous, and puttingg those two together, in context, buffoonishly wrong.

You then jumped in to amplify and agree with his position, to which unexplained why I disagree with it, and of course you then take a couple posts to tell me im.wrong without really ever addressing my point (while of course telling me I'm not addressing yours, which is of course amplifying the one I did address). AH also didn't address my points, just doubled down on righteous culture warrior and threw in some echo chamber stuff to agree with you about why neither of you want to enter the political thread here (which basically comes down to youre right but outnumbered by us wrong and awful folk in our echo chamber). And then some anecdote about people who believe a version if the constitution as evidence that I'm a culture warrior, and bonus, finding even know it!

But still, neither of you has even begun to address the core point I made about the topic of the confederate monuments and what they stand for, white supremacy, or equating those who stand for bigotry with those against and then lumping thermal together as so much meh.

You're perfectly free to disagree with me, but at least try to keep track of what we are discussing and come up with something a little bit deeper than deflecting the topic tonsomenweak critique of me. We can discuss me if you want, but I'm also going to hold your feet to the fire of the actual topic you want nothing to do with defending directly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yep. I discovered that hanging out in the echo chamber was actually distorting my perceptions of what was going on in politics. I suspect that it's the same with right wingers who read Breitbart and hang out their own echo chambers. There are many people who don't even realize that they're culture warriors. They just think that they're "right."

I got my first taste of this 10-15 years ago from a guy on the right. For him, it's all about the Constitution. Not the real Constitution as interpreted by the courts, but the hypothetical Constitution as interpreted by the hypothetical founding fathers. Amazingly, the Constitution and the founding fathers agreed with everything this guy believed. In his eyes, we just needed to get back to the real America that the founding fathers intended. (Yes, I had some fun asking him if that included slavery and denying the vote to women.)

The point is that guys like that don't perceive themselves as culture warriors. They're righteous.

Lol, I was raised a fundamentalist Christian conservative, have spent most of my life living and working in the world dominated by right wing ideology, and I consume a ton of right wing media, and actively engage right wing opinion. I'm not from, lost in, or in need of an echo chamber. I can argue the merits in the majority, outnumbered, or head to head. I also have raised three beautiful children of color, who don't get to live in your, "let's dismiss that as culture warrior outrage junkies" world.

I'd be happy for you to show me where I'm wrong about the merits of the Confederacy and the very real battle to preserve and return to a white supremacist society by one of our major parties, their base, and their unhinged avatar who is the head of our state. I'd be happy to hear why it is unimportant stuff. But you have to be willing to engage more than pontificate, take umbrage at dissent or dispute, and then leave.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Actually, your response was in response to Aeneas Hunter responding to my response to his. So what you chose to jump into was a series on AH's assertion that certain people just want to be outraged about (implication being rather petty) things. And he then gave a list if what he proposed to be similar petty things people get outraged about, ranging from making cakes for gay people and what bathroom people use, to the removal of confederate monuments from public lands.

I objected on the factual merits of both the importance of those things and of their unequivocal differences. In return, I was given the term culture warrior and told I was (self) righteous, and puttingg those two together, in context, buffoonishly wrong.

This is why I stay out of echo chambers. They develop their own reality.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I'd be happy for you to show me where I'm wrong about the merits of the Confederacy and the very real battle to preserve and return to a white supremacist society by one of our major parties, their base, and their unhinged avatar who is the head of our state. I'd be happy to hear why it is unimportant stuff.

As Adkindo said, that's not even the point.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

Center Left Vs Extreme Right...

You're fake news, No you're fake news, No you're fake news...
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Everything's fake news.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

White Trumpster supremacists coming out of the closet. Again Trump has released the Kraken. Racists believe The South Shall Rise Again!!!

The banner at the ball park Racism is as American as baseballl tells the tale. It's been the fabric of the country since its inception.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: