Star Trek: Discovery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Star Trek: Discovery

Didn't want to hijack the Orville thread even if this thread may not last too long because of the new pay-to-watch format of the show.

The pilot episode was decent. I've watched all of Trek series and none of them really took off until around the 3rd season so I won't hold this one to a higher standard. It remains to be seen if CBS will have that much patience especially since they're relying heavily on this show to drive CBS all-access subscriptions.

The FX was stunning for a TV show. I still have my doubts about the cast but expect it to get better when Jason Isaacs comes on board and guest-stars like Rainn Wilson make their appearances. I'm probably going to wait until the entire season airs and then use the CBS all-access free trial to binge the whole season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

I found the acting to be a bit stiff, but that's been true of every ST series in the beginning. The special effects were remarkable for a TV show.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

The writers of the show are certainly trying to boldly go forward with Rodenberry's vision of diversity: Black female star, Asian female captain, openly gay couple relationship.

I just question this story idea of Cmdr. Burnham being the adopted daughter of Sarek. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense since Sonequa Martin-Green is apparently going to play Cmdr Burnham as an emotional type of character. Great casting of James Frain as Sarek but the pilot was his only scheduled appearance. They'll have to do something Star Trek normally doesn't do and use a lot of screen time on back story.

Old time Trek lovers like me will have to embrace the new vision of Star Trek that started with the JJ Abrams movies.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the guy who played Sarek was terrific. The Asian captain was really good, too. She captured that Picard vibe of a commander who you would follow without question. Burnham strikes me as a character with too many moving parts, if you know what I mean. The actress is working really hard to make the character coherent. In the first episode, she earned a respectable draw on my scorecard.

I'm a little bit concerned that this is going to be another show that tries to force too much diversity. I realize that this is a touchy subject. I've seen a few shows lately, in particular BBC shows, that pushed diversity so hard that it detracted from the storyline. It's not a question of realism. We would expect the Star Trek universe to be diverse, and it always has been, relative to the standards of the time. However, diversity is best played as something that is normal in the context of the show. I've seen a few too many shows that wound up making it seem abnormal.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

Going in with an open mind; hopefully the new crew gets their deserved shot at being accepted. After a while, I think they will.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

So I have to pay for a CBS app that I don't want, and also sit through commercials for the privilege? Pass.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

CBS is basically pushing this as a loss leader so they can get widespread acceptance of the CBS All Access App. They are basically expecting Trekkies to be suckers for this and they are only releasing one episode per week.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yeah, the guy who played Sarek was terrific. The Asian captain was really good, too. She captured that Picard vibe of a commander who you would follow without question. Burnham strikes me as a character with too many moving parts, if you know what I mean. The actress is working really hard to make the character coherent. In the first episode, she earned a respectable draw on my scorecard.

I'm a little bit concerned that this is going to be another show that tries to force too much diversity. I realize that this is a touchy subject. I've seen a few shows lately, in particular BBC shows, that pushed diversity so hard that it detracted from the storyline. It's not a question of realism. We would expect the Star Trek universe to be diverse, and it always has been, relative to the standards of the time. However, diversity is best played as something that is normal in the context of the show. I've seen a few too many shows that wound up making it seem abnormal.

Not an issue. The cast of Voyager, DS9 and even Enterprise were very diverse casts. The problem plaguing Star Trek has been weak story lines.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Not an issue. The cast of Voyager, DS9 and even Enterprise were very diverse casts. The problem plaguing Star Trek has been weak story lines.

It appears they've mostly separated themselves from the creative crew who wrote/directed for the other TV series since Next Generation. The creator of Discovery is listed as a writer for the last two Trek movies. The other co-creator has a few writing credits from the DS9 and Enterprise.

Regardless, the key to success in a Trek series is to write a compelling adversary for the Federation and continue building a story line that leads to an eventual confrontation. All of the previous series spent the first few seasons wandering around the galaxy in single episode stories that never went anywhere and were mostly misses.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
So I have to pay for a CBS app that I don't want, and also sit through commercials for the privilege? Pass.

+1
This is like a Mayweather fight, I'll wait for it to come to national TV. CBS may start a PPV trend if it catches on.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

+1
This is like a Mayweather fight, I'll wait for it to come to national TV. CBS may start a PPV trend if it catches on.

The trend has already started. The companies who own the content want to keep as much of the revenue as possible. HBO has already done it and Disney will be following suit very soon and pulling their streaming content back in house. Most of the large media companies have their own streaming services but have not pulled their content from Amazon, Netflix or Hulu yet. They're probably waiting to see if they can balance the cost versus just licensing the content to someone else.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

+1

The trend has already started. The companies who own the content want to keep as much of the revenue as possible. HBO has already done it and Disney will be following suit very soon and pulling their streaming content back in house. Most of the large media companies have their own streaming services but have not pulled their content from Amazon, Netflix or Hulu yet. They're probably waiting to see if they can balance the cost versus just licensing the content to someone else.

If they pull their content how much damage will it do to those mentioned?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

I was a TNG fan. DS9 and Voyager were meh. Enterprise started off slow but I thought it was coming around by the 4th season until the current impatience networks these days exhibit with their series cut it off too short. That said, I have no desire to support CBS or their attempt to create a PPV revenue stream.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

+1

We live in the age of cord cutting. That's ultimately what this is about. Amazon and Netflix are creating their own content, just like HBO and CBS. We as consumers are moving away from paying for the content through cable fees. That doesn't mean that we are going to get all of this content for free, or even for a greatly reduced cost in the long run. In fact, the cord cutters may end up paying more than they did before, once the market adjusts.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

+1

We live in the age of cord cutting. That's ultimately what this is about. Amazon and Netflix are creating their own content, just like HBO and CBS. We as consumers are moving away from paying for the content through cable fees. That doesn't mean that we are going to get all of this content for free, or even for a greatly reduced cost in the long run. In fact, the cord cutters may end up paying more than they did before, once the market adjusts.

Or they'll just pirate it.

I want to know what goes through the mind of TV execs who look at people cutting the cord and say, "you know, we should do the exact same thing on the internet that made them quit watching TV in the first place." Boggles the mind.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

+1

I want to know what goes through the mind of TV execs who look at people cutting the cord and say, "you know, we should do the exact same thing on the internet that made them quit watching TV in the first place." Boggles the mind.

These are the people who make the inane comedies you see on CBS. Not at all surprising.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Eh. The music business went through the same thing. The consumer is always going to want something for nothing. That's human nature. The trick is capture enough revenue to keep turning a profit.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Eh. The music business went through the same thing. The consumer is always going to want something for nothing. That's human nature. The trick is capture enough revenue to keep turning a profit.

I'm more referring to them charging a premium for the app AND serving commercials.

You don't see commercials in Netflix, Amazon or HBO apps. It's only the idiot broadcasters that try to do that with Hulu and now their individual apps. People will pay for content, but if you annoy them with ads on top of it, they'll look elsewhere.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Well, there is a commercial free option. The version with commercials is cheaper.

I'm not here to defend pay walls in general or CBS in particular. I just don't feel much in the way of moral outrage about it. I'll take a look at it and decide whether I think it's worth my money. I understand that the CBS package includes access to all of the episodes of all of the prior Star Trek series. That wouldn't be enough to push me over the line, but it might be relevant to other people.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Well, there is a commercial free option. The version with commercials is cheaper.

I'm not here to defend pay walls in general or CBS in particular. I just don't feel much in the way of moral outrage about it. I'll take a look at it and decide whether I think it's worth my money. I understand that the CBS package includes access to all of the episodes of all of the prior Star Trek series. That wouldn't be enough to push me over the line, but it might be relevant to other people.

Hulu used to be commercial free too. Just saying... I know where this path will lead.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

All but guaranteed since the U.S. is the only place that's forcing viewers to subscribe to CBS All-Access to watch the remaining episodes. It will be on broadcast/cable in Canada and Netflix everywhere else.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

As a new Trek fan, I (bleep) loved it. The visuals are amazing. The storyline will be solid. Actors were fine, not amazing but they'll grow into their roles.

Plus I'm more a serialized tv guy than procedural. ST has always been more procedural except for the last season of DS9, some parts of Enterprise, and then the two-part episodes usually seasons finales and then premieres.

Could have kept the color-coded uniforms (yellow, red, blue) instead of (gold, silver, bronze). Not sure why they changed the Klingons so much, really weird. But I do not mind. I'm not an old school fan so these things don't bother me that much.

The main problem is CBS All Access. But I understand the TV industry is moving in this direction. So be it.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

As a Star Trek fan I missed the opening episode and have ZERO intention of doing pay-per-view for CBS!

This is a completely stupid idea from CBS and the result will be this series never getting the props it may deserve and it will die off and be forgotten.

Hey CBS, how about doing another CSI show?

CSI: In Space....

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
As a Star Trek fan I missed the opening episode and have ZERO intention of doing pay-per-view for CBS!

This is a completely stupid idea from CBS and the result will be this series never getting the props it may deserve and it will die off and be forgotten.

I believe this will be the most costly Star Trek series....something like 8 million per episode....and probably not much people will see it because its behind CBS All Access in the US.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

No no, they have to wait for NCIS Boise.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: