Lakers Ad Patch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Nice little preview of what our jerseys will eventually look like:

https://twitter.com/southbaylakers/status/919990472960913408
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Wish? Really? That's the best we could do?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

potentially the worst jersey I've ever seen. Looks like it was designed in MS Paint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Give it five years. Then 5-10 after that the Lakers wordmark will just be a patch where the ad is now.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Give it five years. Then 5-10 after that the Lakers wordmark will just be a patch where the ad is now.

Gotta get that knee-jerk slippery-slope mentality out there.

Cause there's absolutely no way that the NBA might just keep the ad patches the way they are now going forward permanently.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Since I'm British it's kind of funny seeing fans (not just Laker fans) freaking out over these tiny little sponsor patches. I guess it's just from watching football my whole life where the club badge is like the size of your palm and then there's just a gigantic company name across the center.

Sorry to say but if there is money to be made they're gonna do it. Another 10 or 15 years and NBA jerseys won't look worlds different from Euroleague Jerseys. I mean why not? I think the Celtics get 5 mill a season for their patch and it takes absolutely no effort on their part. These clubs are businesses too.

Are there any American sports teams on the stock market like some football teams?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Gotta get that knee-jerk slippery-slope mentality out there.

Right, just like you gotta get that obligatory corporate defense out there.

"Please, take my eyeballs so companies can make more money!"

Quote:

Cause there's absolutely no way that the NBA might just keep the ad patches the way they are now going forward permanently.

Yeah, that's exactly how ad creep works. It "creeps" by never changing.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20creep

Just like the NBA has always kept ads confined to TV and Radio and never let them get on the sideline banners, backboards, backboard supports, on the court or (now) on the uniforms.

See you in five years.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
Since I'm British it's kind of funny seeing fans (not just Laker fans) freaking out over these tiny little sponsor patches. I guess it's just from watching football my whole life where the club badge is like the size of your palm and then there's just a gigantic company name across the center.

The thing about football is that you get to watch non-stop action for 45 or so minutes at a time. It's like watching a movie, you get to actually focus and get lost in what you're watching. That said it sucks for sponsors because there's little time to get their advertisements in. And broadcasting games is expensive, so advertisements on the kits themselves is a fair compromise.

A basketball game goes to commercial every time one of the teams calls a timeout, which is fine, but it also has mandatory timeouts just for the purpose of showing more commercials. Sometimes you even get animated advertisements during free-throws that bleed over into gameplay.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:

The thing about football is that you get to watch non-stop action for 45 or so minutes at a time. It's like watching a movie, you get to actually focus and get lost in what you're watching. That said it sucks for sponsors because there's little time to get their advertisements in. And broadcasting games is expensive, so advertisements on the kits themselves is a fair compromise.

A basketball game goes to commercial every time one of the teams calls a timeout, which is fine, but it also has mandatory timeouts just for the purpose of showing more commercials. Sometimes you even get animated advertisements during free-throws that bleed over into gameplay.

You guys have no idea how good your commercials are though. I'll literally find an NFL stream every Sunday WITH ads so I can laugh at them. Except that Neil Diamond Hyundai thing, that can go squarely to hell. Dilly Dilly!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:

Sorry to say but if there is money to be made they're gonna do it. Another 10 or 15 years and NBA jerseys won't look worlds different from Euroleague Jerseys. I mean why not? I think the Celtics get 5 mill a season for their patch and it takes absolutely no effort on their part. These clubs are businesses too.

Are there any American sports teams on the stock market like some football teams?

I agree with you about where this is headed. As soon as they opened the door for jersey ads this became an inevitability. I would bet money they are counting on people getting used to it (helps to start small, make them bigger on D-League uniforms etc) the way soccer fans are used to it.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject:

The shark has been jumped. Agree 100% that eventually NBA jerseys will look like European futbol unis. Inevitable.

Thanks Adam Silver!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: