Lakers Ad Patch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

better than i had expected. makes me think of make-a-wish foundation
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
The Grind wrote:
That's obnoxiously awful. Here I was making fun of Philly's Stubhub sponsorship, at least those are funny. These are just crass, ugly and turbl.

I don't like any of the ads but in terms of appearance, I think the Cavs and Celtics patches look the best by far. Ours is somewhere in the middle, with the Bucks and Kings at the very bottom.

I have to disagree. I hate both the Celtics and Cavs, really like the Bucks and Kings. But nothing is as bad as Brooklyn's.

I take it back, I saw a close-up of the Kings' ads and not digging it at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Can I just say I hate the patches. We don't need no stinking patches.

I watched the damn Spectrum lakers show and those guys spent 10 minutes telling us all about wish and that we should all add their app to our phones and that it was like amazon in app form. I am frankly aghast. It made me want to puke hearing Bresh go on and on about how awesome wish is. If I wanted to watch an infomercial about some damn app I would not be watching a show about the Lakers.

This is terrible. The Lakers have plenty of money, no need for this ugly advertising.

Look at the jersey's hanging in the rafters, the footage of Kobe, Magic, Jerry West in the Lakers uniform. They are clean- from now on every video frame, every photo, every interview we are going to see the damn word wish. I hate it, it is wrong and a huge muddy slippery slope. Hello NASCAR.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I watched the damn Spectrum lakers show and those guys spent 10 minutes telling us all about wish and that we should all add their app to our phones and that it was like amazon in app form. I am frankly aghast. It made me want to puke hearing Bresh go on and on about how awesome wish is. If I wanted to watch an infomercial about some damn app I would not be watching a show about the Lakers.

This is terrible. The Lakers have plenty of money, no need for this ugly advertising.

Look at the jersey's hanging in the rafters, the footage of Kobe, Magic, Jerry West in the Lakers uniform. They are clean- from now on every video frame, every photo, every interview we are going to see the damn word wish. I hate it, it is wrong and a huge muddy slippery slope. Hello NASCAR.

Don't you think you're being a little hyperbolic? NBA jerseys haven't been clean as you suggest for over 50 years. Magic and Kobe and West all wore corporate logos on their Lakers jerseys and in the exact same spots as the Wish logo is going to be positioned at.

You really seem like you're whining over nothing.
Thug24Life8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
would never buy one of these highlighter-ass jerseys

I felt like I was going crazy that nobody else noticed this? It has become a fluorescent or highlighter purple/yellow I can't stand it. I don't know what they're thinking.
"Kobe is a scientific dawg," O'Neal wrote. "He works out every day, practices every day. Most of the other stars are just dawgs, not scientific dawgs. Kobe will always have the edge because of his range and killer instinct."
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Don't you think you're being a little hyperbolic? NBA jerseys haven't been clean as you suggest for over 50 years. Magic and Kobe and West all wore corporate logos on their Lakers jerseys and in the exact same spots as the Wish logo is going to be positioned at.

Which corporate logo are you talking about? The NBA logo?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Quite a lot of hypocrisy being shown here. The dramatic backlash to advertisement patches in general is stupid as is the slippery slope argument that inevitably follows them.

"Why couldn't the Lakers choose an LA based company?!"

No LA based company was likely willing to match Wish's offer. Lakers are also a much more global brand than most other franchises.

"Why couldn't they pick a nationally known company like Toyota or KFC?!"
Because those logos would look like garbage on the jersey? There's something appealing about the logo being from a lesser known company and only a single dictionary word. At face value, it can be interpreted as trying to inspire faith and restore hope within the imaginations of fans. Quite a bit more romantic than a patch for a burger joint.

"Why wasn't BBB chosen?!"

First of all, if you think LaVar Ball is paying $15 million a year you're crazy. Second of all, Nike competitors are ineligible for jersey patches along with alcohol companies, and official NBA partner (Spalding, Tissot, etc) competitors.
people were joking

"Having ads on the jerseys is an abomination!!"

We've always had ads on the jerseys. How is this any different than having the Nike/Adidas/NBA logos that have always been present? They're all businesses trying to sell you products. Why hasn't there been backlash against those logos? They don't need to be there any more than the new patches.incorrect..the nba is the league they play in, nike is synonymous with basketball. So is addidas. Jim's Chicken shack isnt. Neither is herbal life. No matter what you say, a lot of those soccer adds look terrible.

"It's just a matter of time until NBA jerseys look like Soccer uniforms!!"

Not really, but you better stop watching NBA games now just in case that might happen one day just to be safe. see above

The reality is that every person complaining about the logos will not even notice them within two years (the same way we don't notice the Nike logo) because the Lakers did a great job of meshing the patch into the jersey. Bucks fans only wish their franchise did as well as ours. Also untrue, we will not forget when the logo looks awful like they do on some soccer jersey's.
Soccer has had these logos for how long now? yet we still notice how bad a lot of them are.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Funny we have a chest bumping thread about Laker profit, which was mostly boosted by a cable TV deal that left many fans unable to watch them. But creating additional revenue by putting a word on the jersey is taboo.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

so this is what the idiot duo of money and petro were talking about.

is it an online second hand shop? They were claiming $3 jackets?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

Will Lonzo and BI be obligated to start off every interview thanking "the people at Wish" for their support like Nascar drivers?
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
Predictably hideous.

It's a single world, you grouch.

What can I say? I'm not into desecrating the jerseys. It's not the end of the world, but it's tacky and ugly.

Eh, yes, especially at first, but the rest of the world's jerseys have massive ads on them that they become almost invisible after a while. Well, not all invisible, but enough. Luckily it is just a patch in the corner and not the entire front of the jersey like Eurocup.

They just needed pandora's box to open. Within 10 years you'll probably see the first sponsor replace a the team name.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Funny we have a chest bumping thread about Laker profit, which was mostly boosted by a cable TV deal that left many fans unable to watch them.

Are there really still local cable companies that don't carry the Laker channel?
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
how the hell did Wish beat out big corporates like Pepsi, AT&T, etc? or even a car company like BMW and so forth?

If you've noticed the ad patch deals across the NBA have very strategic initiatives from the company. GE - just moved their HQ to Boston - they're trying to source local boston talent (MIT, Harvard...) to their team and they want to be ingrained into the community.

Wish - wants household recognition as an e-commerce company. Their sales are high but they feel like they can spend $12-14million on an NBA logo and it will do more to generate impressions (eyeballs on their website) & conversions (sales of their merchandise) than lets say spending $12-14 million on digital/tv marketing.

For AT&T - they have a very strong presence already in sports & there is a little bit of a disadvantage as Staples center is backed by Verizon I beleive.
For BMW - Are you really going to buy their car by looking at the logo on a jersey? Their target market is already affluent - seeing their logo isn't going to impact spending as much as let's say a television ad on a prime time spot showcasing the car.

For wish - it's simple - we want to be a household name - the lakers are a household brand - more people are going to hear about us & purchase from us. For $8 million dollars cheaper than the Warriors per year - it makes a lot of sense.

For AT&T & BMW - it's not so clear how spending that x amount of money on a jersey patch will lead to more people signing up for AT&T or buying a BMW. Hence, why they didn't spend the money.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Not sure when the Swoosh or the Adidas thing came on the jersey's. Back in the 70's there was nothing there, look a photo of West (the Logo). In the 80's the NBA logo was there which I don't care about.

The swoosh I also do not care about nearly as much because they actually made the jersey. But the freaking wish thing is annoying as hell because it has nothing to do with basketball, is ugly and is just about money. I understand it is a business and pretty soon people will be shaving the Facebook logo into their hair for a million bucks, but it does not mean I have to like it.

You should have heard that damn Spectrum crew kiss the wish ass. "oh it's such a great e-commerce platform" and "you should download this app right now". Then they showed the players meeting with the damn tech bros who run wish and they were kissing their asses too.

Remember when you used to go to Dodger stadium and it was a lovely clean mid-century design? Now the whole field is festooned with add banners and digital billboards. Basically the world is becoming more and more like the movie Idiocracy every day, where ads are all over the the halls of congress and podium of President Camacho.

Who wants a soccer jersey that says Emirates all over it? It compromises the design. Just look at the LA live center next to Staples center. Basically the building was designed to be a billboard support structure. It is ugly, it is tacky, it is bad architecture. I should think that the 1%'s who run the league would have better taste and I hope the ad patches go away. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by Dr. Funkbot on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Funny we have a chest bumping thread about Laker profit, which was mostly boosted by a cable TV deal that left many fans unable to watch them. But creating additional revenue by putting a word on the jersey is taboo.

Oh agree there. I am "lucky" I guess because in my neighborhood I either get spectrum or I have to get Dish plus still Specturm for my internet.

It is terrible that people can't watch the Dodgers or Lakers anymore who are not as "fortunate" as me.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Quite a lot of hypocrisy being shown here. The dramatic backlash to advertisement patches in general is stupid as is the slippery slope argument that inevitably follows them.

It always baffles me that there's inevitably a poster that not only doesn't care about ad creep but actually goes so far as to defend it.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Oh yeah? What logo was that?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Funny we have a chest bumping thread about Laker profit, which was mostly boosted by a cable TV deal that left many fans unable to watch them.

Are there really still local cable companies that don't carry the Laker channel?

A lot of people don’t have cable. We have threads about it here, fans trying to figure out how to watch them.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/09/22/hoffarth-lakers-wish-list-cheapened-by-the-dozen/
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
http://www.dailynews.com/2017/09/22/hoffarth-lakers-wish-list-cheapened-by-the-dozen/

Hey Dr. Funkbot, looks like we are coming up on your 16th anniversary of joining Lakersground.  Congrats 

I never heard of this wish site thing until the patch yesterday.  I had come to terms with such before when I knew patches were coming so I knew there was going to be something stuck on the Lakers jerseys.  The wish name and logo looks okay, but I went to their website and looked at it and then I see things like your above link and it is really disappointing that this is the "partner" the Lakers selected to be so heavily linked with them right on the front of the jersey. 

The wish website is a little scary with odd stuff and I think it has been mentioned in this thread about how much of that stuff on their site looks like knock-off and/or possible copyright infringement.  Look at some of that Laker stuff for sale on there, not only is it odd stuff, I would be surprised if it all was properly licensed.

I can see this turning out badly at some point.  Makes me concerned about lack of judgment again in Laker management decisions.  Hope it works out okay, but they really could have picked a better partner for such a high profile position.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I agree, I assume that they could have found a better partner. Is this part of their push into the Chinese market?
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I agree, I assume that they could have found a better partner. Is this part of their push into the Chinese market?

Ya, that is the only thing that makes sense to me.
SOLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Looking at the bright side, all the jersey add money should result in an increased salary cap for next year. And the larger the increase, the more it will help our ability to sign 2 max FA.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/71udp8/check_out_this_tweet_jc_liked_wonder_how_he_feels/

This photoshop actually looks really good. BBB logo looks like it fits the Laker jersey like a glove.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Visually the patch isn't that bad but it's enough to prevent me from ever buying one. I'll never spend money on an advertisement even if my favorite team's logo is on it. Especially for the kind of money they charge for jersey's. Also I don't know if it's my computer screen but that yellow is hideous. Nothing like the rich, regal gold color of my older jersey's.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: