Julius Randle Holds Keys to Lakers Present, but Is He Part of L.A.'s Future?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Julius Randle Holds Keys to Lakers Present, but Is He Part of L.A.'s Future?

Hey All,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report
Julius Randle Holds Keys to Lakers Present, but Is He Part of L.A.'s Future?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2734512-julius-randle-holds-keys-to-lakers-present-but-is-he-part-of-las-future

The key takeaway is that his ridiculous conditioning (he is in great shape) will help in endurance - which should help him play harder, longer and in both directions (not just scoring but D!).

We'll see!

Cheers,

Eric
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks emplay.

I will root for him to prove all doubters wrong.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thanks emplay.

Me too. I just love the guy. Great for the team !
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I hope his improved conditioning leads to better defense on his part or it does not matter. In my opinion defensive ability is 75% based on desire and 25% on physical traits.

Randle has a long way to go on that end, let's hope he can get some stops this year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Randle bout to be beasting this year! Should see more great stops like the block on harden
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Randle seems to have a good attitude, and I hope that translates into a much improved player on both ends of the court. From the little I have heard from Magic in clips, I think Magic was holding out on Randle, hoping this could be a breakout season for him. I think Magic would much rather deal Clarkson than Randle, I guess we will know more in about 9 months. Be really interesting to see if a big move is made at the trade deadline, or if it all waits till next summer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Randle bout to be beasting this year! Should see more great stops like the block on harden

Yes, he has shown us he can do it, now he needs to commit to consistency.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thanks emplay.

I am a HUGE doubter and I hope to be proven wrong. Wasted lottery picks kill teams.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Tone setter

20,10,5 All-star at 22.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject:

This kid is only 22 years old and he gets it.

He has great God given talent.

He has shown moments of playing great defense and if he can do that regularly he will be a star

Already a great rebounder but will get better

Already a really good passer who can become elite

Great in transition already

A bad outside shooter who is working like heck to get better and has shown improvement

He is working out like Kobe did at an unbelievable level and is determined to be great. He will improve in all the areas he was already really good at and should move to elite in those areas. Defense, Right Hand, Outside shot and Endurance have been missing from his game and he seems determined to make those areas a strength.

If he fixes the areas that he has been weak in he can be better than Draymond Green. He is more physically gifted without question. He is more developed than Draymond was at this age. Draymond averaged like 4pts per game his rookie year. This coming up season would be Randle's rookie year if he was on the same schedule as Draymond so he his way ahead of were he was.

Ball, BI and Randle will be our big 3 this year and I think they are going to shock the basketball world. Magic and Rob have surrounded those 3 with a great supporting cast of KCP, Lopez, Clarkson, Nance and Kuzma. We are about to watch a thing of beauty and it all starts next week. I can't wait.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

I've been a big Jules fan since we drafted him. I've really enjoyed watching him develop and evolve. I'm really hoping he has a big year. His workouts this summer have been impressive and he's, obviously, in fantastic shape.

While he works out a lot and puts in a lot of time working on his jumper, I often wonder if he's working smart. I really don't see much change/adjustments in his shooting form/mechanics...

He's still off-balance and there's a lot of un-needed motion going on all over the place.
Feet, hips and shoulders all still twist.
His guide hand is used very inconsistently.
He still "flings" it.
His release-point is very inconsistent.
He only holds his up his follow-through every once in a while, instead of every shot.

All this time, has he just been practicing the same mistakes over and over?

Doesn't he see how balanced and consistent Klay's mechanics are? Wouldn't he want to try to incorporate some of that into his mechanics?

Or just watch Kuzma shoot. Same thing as Klay. Consistent release. Balanced feet, hips and shoulders. High-release point. Excellent use of his guide-hand. Sharp, balanced wrist-snap. Nice use a his fingers with great, balanced back spin. Excellent follow-through on every shot. No wasted motion.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see what the Lakers do with Randle if he starts out the preseason playing really well. Hopefully they give him about 30 mpg and he gets like 16ppg, 11rpg and 4apg. With his improved body and good stats, maybe the Lakers are able to unload Deng by using Randle?
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Doubt Randle averages a career high in rebounds seeing how Luke has him standing at the 3 pt line bombing away. But hey never know! Surprised none of this thread speaks on his mental game. Which IMO separates him from being an elite baller. If an early call or two goes against him, see ya! May as well play Nance the rest of the game. You can be in th best shape ever and if you let the zebras affect you, don't matter. see: cp3, Boogie and Brian Griffin.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Julius averaged 13.2/8.6/3.6 last season in 28.8 MPG at age 21-22. I think the combination of his improved shooting, conditioning, better shooting teammates and Lonzo's game tempo will push Julius to @ +6 ppg, +4 RPG and +2 APG.

There is no denying Julius has elite Physical tools. He is going into his 3rd playing season where most top tier players make a big jump in production. I think a 20, 10 & 5 PF is very attainable and we are selling him very short.

Daymond Green at age 21-22 put up 7.7/8.8/1.7 per 36.
In his 3rd year he averaged 13.3/9.4/4.2 per 36
In 2016, he put up 11.3/8.7/7.8 per 36 and was a two time all star at age 25-26.

Julius Randle 2016, put up 16.5/10.7/4.5 per 36 at age 21-22 and fans here can't wait to get rid of him.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I have always thought he had talent, but you have to be able to harness it correctly to be effective.

In some ways, he reminds me of Lamarr Odom. And it took Odom many years to finally figure out his role, when he was with the lakers. And LO was the 3rd best player on the team even then.

I do agree this is his year to show he has brought consistency to his game. At times, he has shown how good he can be. Then he has followed up a really good game with a couple awful ones. Young players are inconsistent and now is the time for him to show his worth. My prediction is he plays closer to his ceiling and has a very good year forcing the lakers to resign him, and would love to see that happen. And if he really plays well, I could see an 8th playoff seeding or better. However, if he doesnt imrpove, the lakers will miss the playoffs yet again.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Julius averaged 13.2/8.6/3.6 last season in 28.8 MPG at age 21-22. I think the combination of his improved shooting, conditioning, better shooting teammates and Lonzo's game tempo will push Julius to @ +6 ppg, +4 RPG and +2 APG.

There is no denying Julius has elite Physical tools. He is going into his 3rd playing season where most top tier players make a big jump in production. I think a 20, 10 & 5 PF is very attainable and we are selling him very short.

In 2016, he put up 11.3/8.7/7.8 per 36 and was a two time all star at age 25-26.

Julius Randle 2016, put up 16.5/10.7/4.5 per 36 at age 21-22 and fans here can't wait to get rid of him.

Draymond Green is very good at reading the opponent on either side of the floor and making the right move on the fly on both offense and on defense. But defense is where Draymond Green made his reputation. He's a very stout defender who actually protects the rim well in spite of giving several inches away to opponents down low. And a smart defender who understands where to react in order to be where he needs to be. His team is winning titles, and he's deferring to the likes of Steph Curry and Kevin Durant on offense, among several others. Julius Randle is getting reasonably good on the offensive side of the ball on a team that has scratched the surface on their play book, but he has miles to go on defense to be compared with Draymond Green.

I'm cheering for Julius Randle to become a great player like Draymond Green, but he's got a long ways to go on defense, which is more important than scoring 6 more points per game imo. I'm not expecting he'll be anywhere close this season. Not sure if he'll ever get there on defense. I'll be running around the living room shouting with joy if Randle proves me wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
Doubt Randle averages a career high in rebounds seeing how Luke has him standing at the 3 pt line bombing away. But hey never know! Surprised none of this thread speaks on his mental game. Which IMO separates him from being an elite baller. If an early call or two goes against him, see ya! May as well play Nance the rest of the game. You can be in th best shape ever and if you let the zebras affect you, don't matter. see: cp3, Boogie and Brian Griffin.

That isn’t how Luke wants him to play
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Draymond Green is very good at reading the opponent on either side of the floor and making the right move on the fly on both offense and on defense. But defense is where Draymond Green made his reputation. He's a very stout defender who actually protects the rim well in spite of giving several inches away to opponents down low. And a smart defender who understands where to react in order to be where he needs to be. His team is winning titles, and he's deferring to the likes of Steph Curry and Kevin Durant on offense, among several others. Julius Randle is getting reasonably good on the offensive side of the ball on a team that has scratched the surface on their play book, but he has miles to go on defense to be compared with Draymond Green.

I'm cheering for Julius Randle to become a great player like Draymond Green, but he's got a long ways to go on defense, which is more important than scoring 6 more points per game imo. I'm not expecting he'll be anywhere close this season. Not sure if he'll ever get there on defense. I'll be running around the living room shouting with joy if Randle proves me wrong.

Green didn’t at 21-22, he barely played.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Steve Kerr: NBA Has Almost Eliminated Power Forward Position

Steve Kerr spoke about how the NBA has moved away from traditional power forwards in which those players are almost exclusively either centers or wings.
The Warriors selected Damian Jones with the 30th overall pick in the 2016 draft.

As a rookie, the big man appeared in just 10 NBA games.

He also suited up for the Santa Cruz Warriors 31 times.

"He's got a year under his belt now and he's healthy. This is his first real season where he's starting fresh. I don't tell anybody where they rank on the pecking order and totem pole. You just gotta play.

"You never know how this stuff turns out. If a guy is good enough to play, we're gonna play him. And he is really good, but you got a lot of good guys at his same position, too."

Zaza Pachulia is the Warriors' starting center.

Behind him, it's JaVale McGee, David West, Kevon Looney, Jordan Bell and Jones.

Oh yeah -- and then there's that Draymond Green guy.

"The other thing that hurts all the centers is there's no four-man anymore," Kerr added. "David West used to be a four, now he's a five. Looney -- ten years ago would have been a four. Now he's a five.

"So as a result, we end up with six centers on a roster ... now you're either a five or you're a three. The four position has almost been eliminated from the NBA.

"Unless you're Draymond Green and you just play whatever the hell position you want to call it."
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247506/Steve-Kerr-NBA-Has-Almost-Eliminated-Power-Forward-Position
http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/kerr-asked-about-damian-jones-other-thing-hurts-all-centers

Fan comments
Quote:

Funny that the Lakers are in camp with 4-7 footers and 4 Power Forwards.

Funny how B "can't coach modern defense and I hate three point shooting " S hated his predecessor MDA the innovator, tried to repeal whatever he did and now left a mess. Those 4 4s really need to acquire some 3 skills.

Guards and wings are interchangeable too. It's "positionless" basketball these days. The 3 ball is more prominent...especially for bigs. Back in the day...a big shooting a 3 was usually laughable!

Yeah, but where as 10 or 20 years ago you had streach 4's like Matt Bullard/Bonner, Terry Mills, even Dirk now you see the go to line ups at least with more athletic switchable players in the mold of Harrison Barnes, Aminu, Ariza etc etc in those roles. More fairly tall athletic 3 types that can shoot a little and switch on to smaller players if needed and big enough to hold up a little on bigger guys and in some cases athletic enough to even get to the rim.

I think that's more the prototype moving forward than a Dirk or Draymond even. Those are just unique players that probably would and do get pushed to the 5 in crunch time. Even the Bonner/Bullard types like Ryan Anderson now play some 5 in crunch time at times.

Deng and Kuzma probably fit the wing description more. I wonder how Randle and/or Nance will develop. Center, wing, or traditional PF?
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

I'm not pinning the present or future path on Randle. I am super curious to see him this Winter given all this talk of off-season work on his conditioning, perimeter shot, etc.

I thought a year back that he had the most upside on guys on the roster, but that's changed for me. Now, the key to the club's arc from here is making the duo of Ingram and Ball work, and everyone else is strictly complementary (must fit in around them to make them work.)

We have five legitimate guys from which to pick the two starters at forward and a lead bench guy for same. I think there's quality in these guys that's high enough to help the franchise to win a playoff berth in Spring 2019, if Ball/Ingram works:

Randle
Zuzma
Nance
Deng
Ingram

If Randle is the one to emerge from the pack as best fit, great; if not, there's reasons, right ?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I'm not pinning the present or future path on Randle. I am super curious to see him this Winter given all this talk of off-season work on his conditioning, perimeter shot, etc.

I thought a year back that he had the most upside on guys on the roster, but that's changed for me. Now, the key to the club's arc from here is making the duo of Ingram and Ball work, and everyone else is strictly complementary (must fit in around them to make them work.)

We have five legitimate guys from which to pick the two starters at forward and a lead bench guy for same. I think there's quality in these guys that's high enough to help the franchise to win a playoff berth in Spring 2019, if Ball/Ingram works:

Randle
Zuzma
Nance
Deng
Ingram

If Randle is the one to emerge from the pack as best fit, great; if not, there's reasons, right ?

It takes most guys 3 years to really hit their stride. I fully expect Randle to take it to another level this season.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject:

JR is a hard worker and a great kid. He is going to be in a dog fight for minutes with our other 2 PF's Kuzma and LNJ. I am not ragging on JR, but the other two may be more diverse (in my worthless opinion). Offensively, I think whoever can consistently hit the outside shot and fill the lanes the best (Kuzma) will have a leg up on the other 2 (I do not believe none of the 3 excel on creating O from down low). Defensively, I believe right now (and this can easily change) LNJ has a leg up on the other two. LNJ does have injury/health concerns, so we should not count on him in providing a full season and/or big minutes. I love all three of these kids, and will be rooting for all of them.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

My opinion of Randle will change for the better if he shows better understanding and coordination with teammates on defense, if he starts playing hard defense the entire time he's out there without taking plays off, and if he continues to improve in setting decent picks for teammates when the situation calls on him to do so.

I'm not as worried about the 3 pt shooting, fixing the twisting problems on his shot, and development of ability to use his off hand; I think improvements in all of these will come with time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

JR now has 2 guys to battle with for minutes, Nance and Kuz. They both offer different looks.

IF the Lakers are planning on playing Brook (26-28mpg), and they want to bring Bogut as the first center, then there will be less small ball minutes.

Should be an interesting battle for PF minutes. I have Jules starting though.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

I would love Randle to take a huge step forward - DEFENSIVELY. That’s the only way this team can have success going forward and for him to force his way into their plans.

It’s great to see he’s finally in shape to be able to make that jump. Here’s hoping his lack of effort was just conditioning based and not because of “lapses in focus.”

Now let’s hope he can put it all together upstairs and be able to react and anticipate to truly be able to compare him to Draymond. That and hopefully he added a few inches to his vertical 😂
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: