View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Let the players get paid. The end.

paid by who? tell me how that would work? The reason they do not have the option to get paid in the US is because the NBA players association will not allow it. The NCAA and college basketball does not stop anyone from going pro....yet I see NBA player after NBA player get in front of a camera and be a hypocrite by saying to pay the athletes....when it is their own "protectionism" rules that are preventing these players from being paid professionals. There is no real or easy way to incorporate payments into college athletics.

I agree. I’m not in favor of paying the players. But I am in favor of players being allowed to earn money through endorsements.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

College football and basketball has these problems because the the NBA and NFL don't have a farm system for aspiring pros who are straight out of high school that don't want to go to college. So you end up with kids getting paid under the table. If Vince Mcmahon were smart he would open up the XFL 2.0 to kids that want to play football but don't want to go to college. Maybe they won't be starters but they can be bench players and transition to starters as they get more acclimated. Notice baseball and hockey doesn't have these problems because the players that want to play professionally end up signing with a club out of high school and playing in a development league while the ones that do want to go to college end up going there knowing the sacrifice they are making.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

paid by who? tell me how that would work? The reason they do not have the option to get paid in the US is because the NBA players association will not allow it. The NCAA and college basketball does not stop anyone from going pro....yet I see NBA player after NBA player get in front of a camera and be a hypocrite by saying to pay the athletes....when it is their own "protectionism" rules that are preventing these players from being paid professionals. There is no real or easy way to incorporate payments into college athletics.

I agree. I’m not in favor of paying the players. But I am in favor of players being allowed to earn money through endorsements.

They also deserve to make money when the school sells jerseys with their name/number on it. They deserve a piece of that action.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

True amateur vs commercial ‘commodity’
Why not have a distinction between different NCAA sports/student athletes whether they’re mostly amateur or mixed amateur/commercial. Say if your budget spends less than 10% for the ‘student’ part of student athlete expenditures (academic purposes) the the student athletes are part of commercial for profit business aka not true amateur thus should be compensated (maybe a percentage of profits using their image). If other NCAA program spends more than 10% of their budget on academic then they’re true amateur and not entitled to compensation
(I pick 10% out of thin air but the idea is to have a distinction of which ones are true amateur student athletes and which ones are commercial athletes while being students)
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Why is it so widely accepted that paying players would reduce or eliminate these types of bribes from agents?
It won't.
People rich and poor, from all walks of life still want more money. That's why bribery works, from flat broke High School kids to the billionaires running the world.

Bribes and stipends are two separate issues. They are certainly linked, and will influence the other, but they each are more than important enough and distinct enough to merit independent discussion, too.

Give the kids a stipend.
Prosecute people who attempt to bribe them, and the agencies who employ them.
Let the IRS go after recipients who do not disclose this income on their tax returns.

That's a start, anyway.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

They also deserve to make money when the school sells jerseys with their name/number on it. They deserve a piece of that action.

I think they need to do both those things. If not, then the coaches and schools should be held to the same rules. That means Coach K cant sign a million dollar contract with Nike and force his kids to wear them. That means Nick Saban can't endorse Mercedes or Gatorade.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Report: Former Arizona recruit Shareef O'Neal expected to commit to UCLA

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-former-arizona-recruit-shareef-oneal-expected-to-commit-to-ucla/

DaMuleRules, 2 Sept 2017
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

Kansas finally gets mentioned in the FBI investigation. I said from the beginning....Kansas is Adidas's flagship school, and there is no way they are paying to recruit players to Louisville, and not pushing them to Kansas.

Quote:
Federal prosecutors in New York on Tuesday added additional criminal counts to the indictment of Adidas executive James Gatto, alleging for the first time that he conspired to provide cash payments to the families of former basketball players at Kansas and NC State.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

anyone been keeping up with this? The stuff coming out daily in the current trial is just crazy. It seems clear that Arizona, Louisville, Kansas, Oregon, USC, Oklahoma State, Auburn, South Carolina and a handful of other teams will be under NCAA investigation when this FBI part wraps. Duke, UNC and Kentucky was even mentioned as a reference in one of the recently disclosed wiretaps.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

I've caught a little bit of it in the news. What a sordid mess.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

so the Big 12 Preseason poll came out today....and Kansas was a unanimous #1. At this point, how does Kansas even allow Bill Self take the sidelines. The evidence is pretty overwhelming that Kansas used Adidas to pay for players.....and the evidence also suggest that it was at the instruction of Bill Self.

Quote:
Mark Schlabach
ESPN Senior Writer

Former Adidas consultant TJ Gassnola, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud and testified during this month's federal criminal case concerning corruption in college basketball, will be sentenced on Feb. 1. Gassnola is accused of helping facilitate $90,000 to former Kansas player Billy Preston's mother, $20,000 to current Jayhawks player Silvio De Sousa's guardian and $40,000 to former NC State player Dennis Smith Jr.'s father.

Defense attorney: Kansas' Bill Self requested $20K payment for Silvio De Sousa

Quote:
Michael Schachter, an attorney for Adidas executive James Gatto, told the jury that Gatto approved a $20,000 payment to Fenny Falmagne, the guardian of current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa, only after Self and Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend requested the payment through former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola.

"The evidence, I submit, shows that Kansas' head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa's handler," Schachter told the jury. "More than that, Coach Self requested just the kind of help that Mr. Gassnola arranged as a condition for Coach Self to permit Adidas to continue their sponsorship agreement with the University of Kansas."

LINK

I get people shrug their shoulders at it, but in last years Big 12 Tournament Championship game, we (WVU) win that game if Silvio De Sousa does not fill in for the injured Azubuike and go 8 of 8 for 16 points and 10 rebounds. Malik Newman is another player that is highly expected of being paid dropped 20 points in that game on 6 of 8 from 3! Take it another step.....Kansas does not win the Big 12 regular season without De Sousa and Newman.....WVU does. Kansas does not get past Seton Hall or Clemson on their way to the Final 4 without De Sousa and Newman.

It matters, and we can pretend that "everyone is doing it", but that just is not true. WVU's starting lineup against Kansas in that Championship game......
Quote:
Jevon Carter was a 3 Star with no other Power 5 offers. Daxter Miles was a 3 Star with no other Division 1 offers. Sagaba Konate was a 3 Star with only other offers from Purdue and Pitt. Wesley Harris was a JUCO transfer with limited interest. Only Esa Ahmad had many Power 5 offers and was a 4 Star prospect. These are not the type of prospects getting paid.

If the NCAA does not bring the hammer down on Kansas, Arizona and every other big program caught up in knowingly using their show companies to pay for players.....then every program in the country should begin filling unmarked duffel bags with cash. I would have to think Harvard and Stanford probably have some wealthy alumni that would be willing to toss some spare change for some 5 Stars.

I think one option is to chop off the hands of those requesting. It seems like everyone wants to paint the players families as "victims", but they are far from victims. The IRS could make light work of this....because I am sure Deandre Ayton's guardian included this in their filed tax return? How about Dennis Smith Jr. or Josh Jackson's parents? File felony tax fraud cases against all of them that did not pay taxes on the received funds.....and a whole lot less hands will be out next year.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

With NCAA investigation underway, Arizona's Sean Miller faces complicated future
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-investigation-underway-arizonas-sean-miller-faces-complicated-future-234415126.html
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

bringing the hammer down on Silvio De Sousa based on testimony from the trials suggest the NCAA may be about to rip apart some major programs. Arizona is up first, Kansas will likely be next, etc. etc.

An interesting outcome from the Silvio De Sousa case is that the NCAA only moved on him this quickly because Kansas made him ineligible internally, then sought a decision to reinstate him by the NCAA. Kansas will have to now forfeit all games that De Sousa played in including their Final Four appearance last season. Listening to Parrish and Norlander on CBS Sports, they pointed out that accusations and evidence are even stronger against Zion Williams than they were against De Sousa.....the only difference is Duke has decided to basically ignore them and claim they are not true....but in the end if Duke wins a Championship this season, the odds are solid the banner will not hang long.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

Exclusive: Wiretap reveals LSU coach Will Wade discussed recruiting 'offer' with hoops scandal middleman

Quote:
A 2017 phone conversation intercepted by the FBI between LSU coach Will Wade and basketball middleman Christian Dawkins features Wade speaking freely about a “strong-ass offer” he made in the recruitment of a prospect, Yahoo Sports has learned.

LINK

sure none of this has anything to do with LSU coming out of nowhere to sign the #4 class in the country in 2018.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
the banner will not hang long.

Will anyone care except for some dude in a bar arguing total banners to win a bet?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Then you'd have to let them sign with agents. If not, these kids can be out there negotiating bad endorsement deals, locking themselves into really long bad contracts.

For instance, what if Nike signed Zion Williamson to a 10 year deal now for pennies on the dollar? That would be bad without the help of an agent.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

LSU suspends Wade indefinitely amid FBI probe

Quote:
LSU has suspended men's basketball coach Will Wade indefinitely, the school announced Friday.

The decision comes a day after reports that FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone calls between Wade and aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins, in which Wade expressed frustration about his inability to close what he described as a "strong-ass offer" for a recruit.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Gottfried (NC State) directly linked to payments

Quote:
Court filings in a federal criminal case involving college basketball corruption link former NC State coach Mark Gottfried to being the first head coach directly connected to impermissible payments to players, sources told ESPN.

According to a disclosure from federal prosecutors, former NC State assistant Orlando Early's attorney said his client disclosed that Gottfried on two occasions gave him envelopes -- containing what Early believed was cash -- to deliver to star guard Dennis Smith Jr.'s trainer to ensure he signed with the Wolfpack in 2015.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

not sure if anyone has continued to pay attention....but there is no way Sean Miller, Will Wade, Bruce Pearl or Bill Self can be coaching next season if the NCAA hopes to maintain any control in college athletics. Day after day....video, audio, and testimony demonstrating blatant cheating at many programs.

Assistant: Miller paid 10K per month to Ayton

Quote:
Federal prosecutors on Wednesday played a recording to the jury of a phone call in which former Arizona assistant Emanuel "Book" Richardson told aspiring agent Christian Dawkins that Wildcats coach Sean Miller was paying star center Deandre Ayton $10,000 per month while he was enrolled there.

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Finally, it appears the NCAA will be taking some level of action....

6 schools to be notified of serious NCAA violations

Quote:
A high-ranking NCAA official told CBS Sports on Wednesday that at least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive notices of allegations for Level I violations, the most serious infractions under NCAA rules, as a result of the federal government's investigation into corruption in the sport.

Stan Wilcox, the NCAA's vice president of regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports at an athletic directors conference in Orlando, Florida, that two programs might receive notices of allegations by early July and that four more probably will receive them by the end of the summer.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26960321/6-schools-notified-ncaa-violations
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

looks like we have our first school implicated.....NCAA claimed recently that at least 6 schools would be notified by the end of July....

NC State hit with Dennis Smith-related charges

Quote:
NC State received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Tuesday regarding the Wolfpack's recruitment of former star player Dennis Smith Jr.

The NCAA has alleged two Level I violations against the school, the most serious violations under the organization's rules, including a failure-to-monitor charge against former coach Mark Gottfried, who now is coaching at Cal State Northridge.

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Here comes the hammer for Kansas.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27662997/report-ncaa-set-notify-kansas-violations
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Here comes the hammer for Kansas.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27662997/report-ncaa-set-notify-kansas-violations

this warms my heart.....I believe Kansas under Self has been one of the dirtiest programs in college basketball.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Kansas basketball hit with major NCAA violation charges stemming from FBI probe

Quote:
The Kansas basketball program received a notice of allegations from the NCAA on Monday detailing multiple major violations, according to a report from Yahoo Sports. In the report, Kansas is alleged to have committed three Level I violations -- the most severe in the NCAA rulebook -- of which includes a responsibility charge against Hall of Fame coach Bill Self.

LINK
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Everyone is breaking the rules with the exception (maybe) of Coach K just because he doesn't have to.

Sean Miller, Self among others caught red handed, it isn't like he is being picked on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: