College Basketball Bribery Scandal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Does he really need the extra scratch that much? Dude played 12 years in the NBA.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
>USC again

shut them down, NCAA
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
put it this way....I think without the NCAA or some type of governing entity, the landscape of college sports would be far worse. Also, if we are going to point to the billions of dollars as a problem, that money is on the campuses, not in Indianapolis. The licensing fees, etc. are distributed to the member schools. I just feel like everyone points to the NCAA which is deflecting blame from the member schools.....in the end, the NCAA is exactly what the member schools make it to be.

The member schools essentially booted the NCAA out of top level college football, which is where the money is. This started all the way back in 1984, when they beat the NCAA at the Supreme Court. Ever since then, the NCAA as an entity has been slowly sliding toward irrelevance, at least in top level college football.

With that addendum, I don't disagree with anything you're saying. The NCAA is a vehicle for non-revenue sports, which includes the bulk of college basketball and football. It is a marketing hub for certain licensing purposes. It is a PR hub for the myth of amateurism (which is not so mythical in the sports where the NCAA still has power). It is a collusive tool for the big schools, in that it allows them to enforce anticompetitive discipline. In the same way, it enforces barriers to entry for lesser schools who want to compete against the big schools.

The NCAA as an institution still remembers when it had real power. It still has grandiose visions. This is why it pursues things like the asinine sanctions against UNC. It longs for the days when it could tell the schools what to do, instead of the reverse.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

More information:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20826573/what-need-know-fbi-ncaa-basketball-investigation
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

And no actual laws were broken. Thanks, FBI!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Students athletes should be paid proportionally to the value they bring to the sports program.
JBizzlethethird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Students athletes should be paid proportionally to the value they bring to the sports program.

Don't think it would fly with Title IX
2. Sign PG, JR, Picks (Brook, IT, Shooter 1 yr deals)
3. Sign JR, Picks and 1 yr deals and run it back.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Students don't need to play for the NCAA. If you want to make money, go abroad for a year. Plenty of leagues (and good ones) willing to pay for play. But if you accept a scholarship to play in a NCAA school, then you accept the rules.

It's really that simple. The rest is hubris to me.

The fact that the NBA requires that you be 1 year removed from HS is the ridiculous part. That should be illegal. Once you hit the age of 18, you shouldn't be summarily blocked from participating in whatever profession you choose.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Students don't need to play for the NCAA. If you want to make money, go abroad for a year. Plenty of leagues (and good ones) willing to pay for play. But if you accept a scholarship to play in a NCAA school, then you accept the rules.

The fact that the NBA requires that you be 1 year removed from HS is the ridiculous part. That should be illegal. Once you hit the age of 18, you shouldn't be summarily blocked from participating in whatever profession you choose.

The NCAA makes a massive amount of money off of these athletes, who receive no salary in return. Meanwhile, they run the risk of incurring a serious injury and ruining their potential professional careers.

Going abroad would hurt their chances of being drafted. The NCAA has a near monopoly on aspiring NBA talent and not paying them is ridiculous.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Amateur sports my ass. The NCAA is a joke.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

Agree 100%! The NCAA is makes tons of money off of those kids and they are the ones working hard and risking injury.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

wire fraud, federal charges, this is no joke. Hopefully Chuck and the rest can plead down somehow, there's no way the head coaches and other people in these programs didn't know what was going on, these guys just happened to get caught. Nobody wants to see The Rifleman in the pokey.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

oh boy, I take it back, there's some real money involved here. The first page I see they've got Chuck taking $50K in bribe payments.

Justice Dept. filing:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998746/download
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject:

This can't be a good look for Adidas either.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Already a thread:

College Basketball Bribery Scandal
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Reminds me of the time when Lebron showed up to high school in a Hummer. At least he were smart enough to go pro and not deal with the NCAA's BS.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
wire fraud, federal charges, this is no joke. Hopefully Chuck and the rest can plead down somehow, there's no way the head coaches and other people in these programs didn't know what was going on, these guys just happened to get caught. Nobody wants to see The Rifleman in the pokey.

Somebody is going to jail.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

The NCAA makes a massive amount of money off of these athletes, who receive no salary in return. Meanwhile, they run the risk of incurring a serious injury and ruining their potential professional careers.

Going abroad would hurt their chances of being drafted. The NCAA has a near monopoly on aspiring NBA talent and not paying them is ridiculous.

At least people going to play in the NBA have an exit plan...if you plan on playing pro football you basically gotta go thru 3 years of college. There is no other option.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

JBizzlethethird wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Perhaps a flat rate between all athletes on a school by school basis - Alabama athletes would get more than Iowa State athletes, but the "base pay" for men and women athletes at Alabama would be equitable just as it would be for men and women athletes at ISU.

Then allow athletes to profit off their likenesses, which would be outside of the purview of Title IX, and whereby star college athletes could earn money from endorsements more commensurate to the value they bring to their university and the NCAA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

right, so you should be able to hired as a doctor or lawyer also once your 18.....how can the "bar" and medical board place all these requirements on individuals? I could have taught a Physical Education class @ 18.....but the state would not have allowed it unless I committed 4 years of my life to obtaining an education degree (I didn't become a PE teacher!) There are many things one could do and learn on the job, but there are regulations that require them to commit time before being allowed into the profession. The argument that these athletes are being abused in some manner because they cannot turn pro @ 18 is so played out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The NCAA makes a massive amount of money off of these athletes, who receive no salary in return.

The schools make the money, not the NCAA.

CandyCanes wrote:
Going abroad would hurt their chances of being drafted.

how so? or are you saying they are actually benefiting from playing at these evil institutions?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

right, so you should be able to hired as a doctor or lawyer also once your 18.....how can the "bar" and medical board place all these requirements on individuals? I could have taught a Physical Education class @ 18.....but the state would not have allowed it unless I committed 4 years of my life to obtaining an education degree (I didn't become a PE teacher!) There are many things one could do and learn on the job, but there are regulations that require them to commit time before being allowed into the profession. The argument that these athletes are being abused in some manner because they cannot turn pro @ 18 is so played out.

Well, law school is a sham and should be folded back into undergraduate education like it is in many European countries.

As an aside, sorry to hear about Ahmad, but hopefully he'll be back for a Big-12 push.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
JBizzlethethird wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Perhaps a flat rate between all athletes on a school by school basis - Alabama athletes would get more than Iowa State athletes, but the "base pay" for men and women athletes at Alabama would be equitable just as it would be for men and women athletes at ISU.

Then allow athletes to profit off their likenesses, which would be outside of the purview of Title IX, and whereby star college athletes could earn money from endorsements more commensurate to the value they bring to their university and the NCAA.

your leaving out a million details that would prevent it from working....but beyond those....your suggestion would pay a University or Texas female golfer more than a Duke mens basketball player...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Well, law school is a sham and should be folded back into undergraduate education like it is in many European countries.

As an aside, sorry to hear about Ahmad, but hopefully he'll be back for a Big-12 push.

been in a bad mood all day over this....his absence will hurt this team
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

What about these athletes who put their body on the line (to which the schools make millions off of) who get hurt while playing, and if bad enough they can't return and have their scholarships revoked, kicked off the team and now have no way of paying for their education? In part because they're not allowed to work while they were on the team, and now are stuck with hospital bills
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: