Pelinka no longer saying they'll sign 2 superstars in 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Pelinka no longer saying they'll sign 2 superstars in 2018

This quote by Pelinka was on media day. Sounds like he is dialing back saying they'll sign 2 superstars in 2018.

Quote:
Lakers have been going hard at the idea that they'll sign 2 superstars in 2018. Slight shift in the way Rob Pelinka talked today.

Quote:
"Now we have a chance to go into July 1st 2018 and see who's in the market and build our team with those two max slots that we have that could be for two guys, could be for multiple guys, could be used to re-sign some of our own players. We have the flexibility to keep the young core intact and then to build with the cap flexibility." - Lakers GM Rob Pelinka.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/912447092169220097

Last edited by 32 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

I think he's just adding some hope for the current guys on the team, but the first priority, even rhetorically, hasn't changed.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

yeaaahhh... Julius extension and Lopez max contract coming right up!
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Lopez and KCP.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

I think that's the plan. Just trying to reel back expectations and probably trying to not be such an arse and publish this will all these guys are fighting for a spot on the team, and/or know that they're likely not a part of the long term plan.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Could also be the tampering charges dialing back their fanfare, or that they're sensing PG and Lebron might stay.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

You can't expect players to play hard, while yelling "2 max (and the repercussions, i.e. you will be traded).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Could also be the tampering charges dialing back their fanfare, or that they're sensing PG and Lebron might stay.

I don't think so. July 2018 is so far away, and these guys probably don't know themselves.

It's more like we have 20 guys fighting for spots on the team. Guys like Deng/JC, maybe Jules know there's a chance they may be sacrificed for 2018. But no need for the FO to be blaring that in the loudspeakers. 2017-18 is about to start, they need to focus and circle the wagons.

(but we know they want 2 stars).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Good to hear, flexibility is the right way to approach next season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

It’s the tampering charge. They realized there is no benefit to mentioning it at every presser; all it does is create more whining and complaining from around the league.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Good to hear, flexibility is the right way to approach next season.

If OKC ends up winning, say, 54+ games and makes it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I don't want Maginka waiting by the phones when the FA period starts, like we did with Melo, LMA, et al. Same thing if the Cavs make it at least to the ECF.

If LBJ, PG-13, and RW have any serious success this year, I don't want to be left holding the bag next summer. Would rather pounce early on guys like Cousins, Avery Bradley, Zach Lavine and the like - within reason, not everyone out there deserves a MAX deal -- and see about building up/ expanding the core from there.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

Riiiight
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

He didn't stop saying it. He said it in the quote the OP posted. He just added other scenarios. I don't know that I buy that he's dialing anythibg back when they've been very clear about the plan and he talks constantly about having 2 max slots that he does not have.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

This has been what I wanted.

Where are the 2 superstar plan or die'ers now? Crickets!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
He didn't stop saying it. He said it in the quote the OP posted. He just added other scenarios. I don't know that I buy that he's dialing anythibg back when they've been very clear about the plan and he talks constantly about having 2 max slots that he does not have.

Yup. Mentioned that was a large reason why they traded DLO so early too. Plus, trading for a large expiring (Brook) and only signing KCP to 1 year, doesn't take much to read between the lines.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

Agree it's the tampering.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

He didn't say 2 max slots. He said 2 superstars.

Big difference since 2 max slots could be used to bring in three 4 star diamonds instead of two 5 star diamonds.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
Agree it's the tampering.

That makes no sense. If the tampering would cause anything, it would be silence.

For Pelinka to say this would be more likely from tampering once again than if he said nothing at all.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Big difference since 2 max slots could be used to bring in three 4 star diamonds instead of two 5 star diamonds.

If you think Pelinka hasn't talked about 2 max slots (including in the OPs quote) you haven't been paying attention.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

If you think Pelinka hasn't talked about 2 max slots (including in the OPs quote) you haven't been paying attention.

Where were you then when I was arguing in favor of NOT using the cap space on 2 superstars and everyone was coming at me about 5 star diamonds. Now everyone wants to act like that was the plan all along? Haha.

Anyway, the original plan A was 2 superstars. They said nothing then about using cap space to re-sign current players or getting multiple players. In fact, Pelinka called it "The Final Plan".

Cmon.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Where were you then when I was arguing in favor of NOT using the cap space on 2 superstars and everyone was coming at me about 5 star diamonds. Now everyone wants to act like that was the plan all along? Haha.

Anyway, the original plan A was 2 superstars. They said nothing then about using cap space to re-sign current players or getting multiple players. In fact, Pelinka called it "The Final Plan".

Cmon.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. But yeah, he's talked about 2 max slots on several occasions.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Same if you think he didn’t say two star players.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

Pelinka's not dumb, can't continue to say we're planning to get rid of Lopez/KCP/Randle by hammering down on 2 max FA signing while the preseason is about to start. This changes nothing
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
This has been what I wanted.

Where are the 2 superstar plan or die'ers now? Crickets!

The F do you mean?

FO won't be bragging about the 2 MAX Plan if they were not given any hint/s.

PG was crying to get traded to LA until he got traded to OKC and now he has to shut up and finish this year and re-assess if he wants to come home or stay and play with the ball hogs he has right now.

Everyone is saying LBJ is Laker bound and that includes GMs. Wade is not gonna change things all of a sudden. Not in this point of his career.

If PG and LBJ "change their minds" I am still confident that the current FO can land us a competent lineup.

BUT the likes of Melo and Wade are not the players that will make one want to miss the chance to play for the LAkers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: