Pelinka no longer saying they'll sign 2 superstars in 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
Westbrook staying in OKC shows how confident he is that the current team with him, PG and Melo are staying together, or he wouldn't do it.

If I had to bet on it.....Westbrook thinks it is likely PG-13 will resign with OKC.

Or is he's just a loyal guy who likes having his own team and wants to lead OKC to a championship, with or without PG13? I mean, c'mon, let's not look too much into this. Even last summer, there were rumblings that Westbrook was likely going to re-up there. This isn't some huge surprise, and though it could be possible, we can't necessarily assume he knows something everyone else doesn't. But I doubt any of these guys would even hint at such a long-term commitment before they even play a game together.

Right? Like, are we really to believe that Westbrook signed this extension because George and/or Melo have given him some secret nod that they're all in beyond this season? Please.

Then why didn't he sign it weeks ago?

According to him, he has a newborn son and was busy. You can accuse him of lying if you'd like, but it'd be a pretty pathetic look if you do. George and Melo have absolutely nothing to gain by committing this soon. Nothing. It's funny that just a few weeks ago you were the one trashing George for saying, 'We'll see' when they asked him about potentially signing with LA. Now he's all in with OKC, just like that, huh? I honestly don't think you believe half of this garbage you come up with. You just throw stuff out there out of utter desperation with your fingers crossed and hope it'll stick, all to protect your agendas.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

He wanted to wait until KD's birthday...
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ryan1973 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Westbrook staying in OKC shows how confident he is that the current team with him, PG and Melo are staying together, or he wouldn't do it.

Not true. He had $205 million reasons to do it.

So did Gordon Hayward and Kevin Durant.

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
The ONLY reason Westbrook needed to resign with OKC was $$$$$$. It’s the only place that could make him the highest paid player in the league.

Seriously doubt it has anything to do with PG.

Yeah, let's not pretend the money wasn't a factor. That super max changes the game. Who's gonna walk away from $200M+ the possibly only time they have a shot at it?

How's the supermax change the game when Westbrook is the first to even take it, and only took it AFTER the Thunder acquired Paul George AND Carmelo Anthony? Gordon Hayward could have done the same thing but went to the Celtics instead. Kevin Durant could have stayed in OKC for more money and max but went to Golden State instead.

All this "supermax" stuff is the same kind of stuff we heard about the "extra year" when we thought we could retain people like Dwight Howard and got burned. Just like OKC got burned, just like Utah got burned.

At the end of the day, Westbrook wasn't gonna sign that contract without some stability and a solid team in place. There's a reason he's signing now and didn't weeks ago.

Hayward wasn't eligible for the super max since he didn't make an All NBA team, I believe, and it wasn't even in the CBA last summer when KD hit free agency and left OKC. Also, Steph and Harden both also signed for the super max this summer.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Yup. This is actually the reason.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

That PRP injection may have contributed too. Gotta lock up that $$$$$.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Green is right again. It was about cupcaking KD
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

Why does it always have to be about one thing? Pretty sure it was a little bit of everything all coming together that led to WB finally signing.

- OKC demonstrating they are committed to helping him win
- Has confidence that PG and Melo will stay
- $205M
- Ssason about to start, doesn't want it to be a distraction
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

And it’s so petty. But enjoy OKC WB for the rest of your career.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think that's the plan. Just trying to reel back expectations and probably trying to not be such an arse and publish this will all these guys are fighting for a spot on the team, and/or know that they're likely not a part of the long term plan.

Team chemistry...cant have JC and Jules hearing all year whispers of them being out the door.

NBA...told them point blank to dial back the dialogue.

It's still about PG and LBJ or Boogie unless Jules goes ham...which we all hope he does. LONZO bout to get some brothas PAID.

#BannersOverBillboards
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

I never heard them say 2 superstars. They always said 2 max players, which is different.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Kookie Monster wrote:
Question for the salary cap gurus: Hypothetically, if we traded for Westbrook and renounced all our own free agents next summer, would we have enough cap to max Lebron and sign PG13 to a smaller wink-wink contract?

You need to be more precise with the specifications of your scenario.

1. What assets are going to OKC for Westbrook?
Deng + Clarkson + a lottery protected first round pick isn't going to get a trade done for Westbrook.

2. What is the salary for Paul George?

If Melo doesn't opt out OKC is so deep into the lux tax for PG that it violates every way they've ever done business from what I've seen....which aint much tbh.

It's GS, Hou, SA, OKC in the west...Clev and Bos in the Least. I'd rank OKC as 5th or 6th in that ranking with a real chance to be 4th.

Is that worth lux cap hell?

Something tells me players are gonna see Lonzo the passing maestro and say LA is the next team. Add PG and Boogie or just PG and keep an AS Jules if he can do it and this team will move into the top 10 by next year...top 5 by year 2.

Then we're a trade away if everything comes together.

GS is going to dominate the next 3...maybe Hou or LBJ sneaks one...but how does anyone beat Curry Klay Dray and KD 4 out of 7 right now?

#BannersOverBillboards
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
epak wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

And it’s so petty. But enjoy OKC WB for the rest of your career.

low level petty, if you want high level... how my ass taste!!!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

The huge salary OKC gave to Westbrook bodes very well for the Lakers, as I can't see OKC offering PG a similar contract after next year! For the 2018-19 season they are on the hook for over $82mill to Westbrook, Carmelo and Steven Adams. Adding another $30mil for PG will put them OVER the salary cap ($112mil) with just four players, filling out the rest of the 14/15 man roster will cost them DOUBLE in salary-cap penalties! Very hard to do for a small-market team...

Sure OKC will try to low-ball him Paul George hoping he gives them a discount, but I doubt he will, so Laker Fans can count on him at least considering the Lakers and most likely he will be here!

I don't see LeBron being a long-term answer, so the question becomes: PG and who?

Cousins: Ok can be a head case, but he is nearly unstoppable and a 20 & 10 guy and playing on a winner tends to lessen the reasons to be a head case.

DeAndre Jordan: If the Lakers really want to improve their defense, this is the guy, and we saw how he can score when playing with a great PG (Chris Paul) I suspect he would LOVE playing with Ball!

If the Lakers want to upgrade at SG, wow about:

Isiah Thomas: assuming he regains his unstoppable-ness after his hip heals, he would be great addition to the offense.

Bradley: decent player in his prime, good defense and may not want to stay in Detroit.

Wiggins: I think he will be a restricted FA, but solid young talent that would fit with the Lakers youth movement.

How about this:
PG: Ball
SG: Wiggins or Thomas or Bradley
SF: George
PF: Ingram
C: Lopez

The Lakers future looks exciting...!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I never heard them say 2 superstars. They always said 2 max players, which is different.

Then you weren’t listening
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Kookie Monster wrote:
Question for the salary cap gurus: Hypothetically, if we traded for Westbrook and renounced all our own free agents next summer, would we have enough cap to max Lebron and sign PG13 to a smaller wink-wink contract?

You need to be more precise with the specifications of your scenario.

1. What assets are going to OKC for Westbrook?
Deng + Clarkson + a lottery protected first round pick isn't going to get a trade done for Westbrook.

2. What is the salary for Paul George?

If Melo doesn't opt out OKC is so deep into the lux tax for PG that it violates every way they've ever done business from what I've seen....which aint much tbh.

It's GS, Hou, SA, OKC in the west...Clev and Bos in the Least. I'd rank OKC as 5th or 6th in that ranking with a real chance to be 4th.

Is that worth lux cap hell?

Something tells me players are gonna see Lonzo the passing maestro and say LA is the next team. Add PG and Boogie or just PG and keep an AS Jules if he can do it and this team will move into the top 10 by next year...top 5 by year 2.

Then we're a trade away if everything comes together.

GS is going to dominate the next 3...maybe Hou or LBJ sneaks one...but how does anyone beat Curry Klay Dray and KD 4 out of 7 right now?

OKC paid luxury tax two seasons ago, they will pay it now and have committed to next season. So the way you have seen them do business isn’t the way they have actually done business. GS is the team to beat for the next 3 seasons or so and OKC will battle the Rockets for the second Western spot. We had our shot at PG but chose youth over him. Since we see stars joining stars, we will have our shot once we have a star player. OKC has a star player and show how you go all in to win. We are not at that point yet.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

My goodness VLF. OKC will happily pay over 250m in salaries/luxury tax in a tiny market with a joke of a tv deal against what you admittedly call a juggernaut warriors?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
My goodness VLF. OKC will happily pay over 250m in salaries/luxury tax in a tiny market with a joke of a tv deal against what you admittedly call a juggernaut warriors?

Yes, it is forgotten here amongst all our tanking but some teams are trying to win.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes, it is forgotten here amongst all our tanking but some teams are trying to win.

No. You say that the Lakers shouldn’t bother trying to compete against the Warriors yet you think a team that has approached the luxury tax like it’s herpes will now fork out over a quarter of a billion just to have the privilege to lose to the Warriors in the playoffs. Ok.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Was said a number of times, here's one of them.

http://lakers.247sports.com/Bolt/Rob-Pelinka-Lakers-Need-Two-Superstar-Players-To-Come-Here-53304641

Quote:
"We know the goal here is to compete for championships. That's what we want to do. I think with the leading teams in the league today, we felt like, to be able to look them in the eye and challenge them, we need two superstar players to come here and join this platform and join our core group of players we now have. That's our plan, and we're going to put all of our energy and all of our hard work toward that."
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They will pay 300mil next season if PG and melo opts in. It will also trigger the repeater tax, they certainly can’t afford both. And even keeping one of them would be hard for them to stay under the cap. GS will face the same issue soon, they can’t afford to keep them together.
VLF knows nothing about salary caps
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They will pay 300mil next season if PG and melo opts in. It will also trigger the repeater tax, they certainly can’t afford both. And even keeping one of them would be hard for them to stay under the cap. GS will face the same issue soon, they can’t afford to keep them together.

Let's go get Klay when his deal is up. I bet he wants to go Kyrie-style and get out from under Steph's and KD's (and even Draymond's) looming shadows.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Let's go get Klay when his deal is up. I bet he wants to go Kyrie-style and get out from under Steph's and KD's (and even Draymond's) looming shadows.

Punting another year while be tough especially when we have likely missed half a decade of playoffs by 2018.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Then you weren’t listening

Or maybe I missed it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/914200218643648513
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/914200218643648513

Melo opting in $27mil would be up to Melo, hard to see Melo agreeing to a 3 yr $10-15mil/yr when both WB and PG are maxed out
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: