How NBA 2K18 Has failed the All-Time Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: How NBA 2K18 Has failed the All-Time Lakers

2K Rant: How NBA 2K18 has failed the All-Time Lakers

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/7368o7/2k18_how_nba_2k18_has_failed_the_alltime_lakers/

Yes, along with Anpherknee there's now another youtube video maker among us!

I decided I was going to start making some youtube videos, more so Lakers related, but this is the first of many "basketball" videos I'll be making, such as break downs, "what if's" and other stuff using 2K18 as an example for some of it. It won't be primarily the Lakers, but they'll be a subject I intend to cover a lot.

In this video however, I cover 2K's shoddy work with the All-Time Lakers team.

I hope you all enjoy and are entertained. Hopefully some of this stuff gets patched

Enjoy!

Last edited by MJST on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Geez 2K. Lazy bastards. I have only played a couple of games with the new Lakers, haven't played with the All-Time teams yet. The laziness is crazy. Though LeBron has like 5 different models, obviously.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Geez 2K. Lazy bastards. I have only played a couple of games with the new Lakers, haven't played with the All-Time teams yet. The laziness is crazy. Though LeBron has like 5 different models, obviously.

I wouldn't call it lazy, 2k18 vs 2k17 is a huge difference with an entire new engine. The gameplay is hugely improved, the MyPark had a huge face lift, i can live with outdated player models, not really a big deal. 2k only has a year to work on the next game and for a yearly release, they improve year over year more than any other sports game.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

I wouldn't call it lazy, 2k18 vs 2k17 is a huge difference with an entire new engine. The gameplay is hugely improved, the MyPark had a huge face lift, i can live with outdated player models, not really a big deal. 2k only has a year to work on the next game and for a yearly release, they improve year over year more than any other sports game.

If they have enough time to create brand new player models, they got enough time to give Kobe hair, give Kareem his Bucks player model and put the Goggles on it, and give Pau Gasol hair.

Modders do that for FREE with less resources and it doesn't take them months to have to accomplish.

So I refuse to give 2K and all their resources and teams to say "well the game just comes out too quick for them to do the little things like actually making the player models accurate despite the fact they have shown to be perfectly capable of doing it in the very same game."

here's what a modder did to Draymond Green's face 9 days ago

https://i.imgur.com/E8Q1gkh.jpg

Recreated Zach LaVine's current look

https://i.imgur.com/3cMtxS8.jpg

Created an accurate Tracy McGrady in his prime form

https://i.imgur.com/KwKqH1r.jpg

Changed Jimmy Butler's hair

https://image.ibb.co/kPRY4Q/577800_20170922112659_1.png

created rookie Curry

https://image.ibb.co/cSnVm5/577800_20170923002218_1.png

As well as gave Kobe hair

https://i.imgur.com/vzMzIMS.jpg

AND UPDATED JULIUS RANDLES APPEARANCE WHICH 2K AINT DONE IN 3 SEASONS

https://i.imgur.com/jlMbUxk.jpg

AND GAVE INGRAM HIS CURRENT HAIRSTYLE

https://image.ibb.co/gffz15/577800_20170928125257_1.png

A single modder, maybe two.. did this.. in span of about two weeks.

So you mean to tell me that 2K and all their resources, finances and teams and individuals working on the game couldn't accomplish what a single modder could because it would just take too long or be too complicated and deadline threatening? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

I cannot buy that as a viable excuse or reason, ESPECIALLY if you're charging $50-$100 for the game.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject:

*Runs to the subscribe button*
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject:

I still have a PS3.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

LG we need to start a gofundme for our brethren in need

we cannot allow this to go on any longer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

Got kids. Too many things they need to justify spending $ on good ole' me.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

GUISE, I PROPOSE THAT WE ADD FEES FOR A FRESH NEW MINI VAN INTO OUR GOFUNDME TOTAL GOAL

we can do this guise
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

GUISE, I PROPOSE THAT WE ADD FEES FOR A FRESH NEW MINI VAN INTO OUR GOFUNDME TOTAL GOAL

we can do this guise

In the words of the immortal Latrell Sprewell, "I've got a family to feed..."
CHRISTYLE70
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

If they have enough time to create brand new player models, they got enough time to give Kobe hair, give Kareem his Bucks player model and put the Goggles on it, and give Pau Gasol hair.

Modders do that for FREE with less resources and it doesn't take them months to have to accomplish.

So I refuse to give 2K and all their resources and teams to say "well the game just comes out too quick for them to do the little things like actually making the player models accurate despite the fact they have shown to be perfectly capable of doing it in the very same game."

here's what a modder did to Draymond Green's face 9 days ago

https://i.imgur.com/E8Q1gkh.jpg

Recreated Zach LaVine's current look

https://i.imgur.com/3cMtxS8.jpg

Created an accurate Tracy McGrady in his prime form

https://i.imgur.com/KwKqH1r.jpg

Changed Jimmy Butler's hair

https://image.ibb.co/kPRY4Q/577800_20170922112659_1.png

created rookie Curry

https://image.ibb.co/cSnVm5/577800_20170923002218_1.png

As well as gave Kobe hair

https://i.imgur.com/vzMzIMS.jpg

AND UPDATED JULIUS RANDLES APPEARANCE WHICH 2K AINT DONE IN 3 SEASONS

https://i.imgur.com/jlMbUxk.jpg

AND GAVE INGRAM HIS CURRENT HAIRSTYLE

https://image.ibb.co/gffz15/577800_20170928125257_1.png

A single modder, maybe two.. did this.. in span of about two weeks.

So you mean to tell me that 2K and all their resources, finances and teams and individuals working on the game couldn't accomplish what a single modder could because it would just take too long or be too complicated and deadline threatening? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

I cannot buy that as a viable excuse or reason, ESPECIALLY if you're charging $50-$100 for the game.

Well take it from someone who ACTUALLY has worked with 2k sports and I am very close with the dev folks there, it is exactly what they say it is, you dont know what their resources are and you dont have any Idea of what it actually takes to create a game of this magnitude. So continue your armchair analysis.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

that may be true

but the hair on my son is UNUHSEPTIBUH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

Woah, prince of saudi arabia here. I am still sporting the PS2 and original Wii. Somewhere I have a SNES waiting to be brought out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

Speaking of 2K18 they had Brian Scott as the assistant coach for the current Lakers but when I checked last night they replaced him with Paul Pressey who hasn't been an assistant with the Lakers some Byron Scott was here. No clue how they screwed that up.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

You think that's bad? I have a hard time finding new games for my Genesis.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

You just got a subscribe in me MJST! I left a comment too.

2k has the same problems that plague games like call of duty. The pressure to produce a game every year causes them to cut corners.

Look no further than Julius' player model not being updated since his rookie season.

I don't pay full price for their games anymore (if I buy at all lol). I'll wait for the black friday sale or buy used. It's not worth the $60 to me and neither is live.

No offense to LD2k, who holds it down for the Lakers at 2K, but there's no question things could be improved. Might need a re-org of the way they do things to accomplish that, but they make so much money with the status quo I doubt we'll see any change
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Okay OP. I was going to make a joke and just say you were upset they left DLO off the All-Time Lakers, but after watching your video, you have a lot of really good points. I'm okay with Kobe being a 98, although I understand your 99 argument. Magic, Lebron, Jordan are all 99s and I think 2K got them right. But Shaq should have been a 99 as well. Especially since he's their legendary cover athlete! He was unstoppable during our championship run. And to not have Afro Kareem & Kobe with short hair is inexcusable. Every year I complain about Randle still looking like rookie Randle. I'm not sure how Chris 2k can be a Laker fan and still be okay with their product being lazy at times. And the choppy screen after tip off, and the screen freezing (Xbox) on passes once in a while. They don't patch that stuff but are quick to patch ways to farm VC (in game credits for improving your Created Player). And don't get me started on not having 2009 or 2010 Lakers...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
that may be true

but the hair on my son is UNUHSEPTIBUH

Your kid hasn't changed since his rookie 2k season. Small head, small height wise, small chest and arms, and the hair.... So frustrating every season...
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
the moment i heard the orlando magic all time team does not have Dennis Scott on there instead it has Aaron Gordon. I was like what????

Aaron gordon should be the last guy you put on an all time magic team.

he hasnt even been there enough to be considered all time. for all we know he might leave the moment he becomes a FA. And he hasnt been a star/superstar player right out of college so its not like you push him into the lineup just off the fact he's one of their stars.

as far as the lakers all time team goes. any famous laker should be on the team period. The only guy that might be on the bubble is Odom and thats because he came from two other teams. The clippers could use him on their all time team. not that you can't have both odoms like you have a magic shaq and a laker shaq. but the lakers have so many players that should be on the team perhaps someone could take Lo's place.

I guess the other batch of lakers that would be on the bubble are guys that are only famous to laker fans and super basketball fans in general. which is the nick the quick era guys like Campbell, Eddie Jones, Nick. Do those guys make it? non of them ever won a ring with the lakers. 2 of those 3 were allstars at least once. maybe you can let nick go since he won his first ring with another team. but what about eddie bones?

are you going to allow 5 ring and .4 fisher take eddie's spot?

Does rick fox get in? probably not.

Does Glen rice get in? probably not. at least glen unlike rick would have a home with charlotte next to Papa Curry.

But guys that must be on my all time laker team are:

(dang does M.Thompson not make the cut?)
(do i give a nod to old man Mikan? he started it all? I mean, the guy has a drill named after himself)
are you just going to act as if Norm nixon wasnt better than derek fisher?

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Gasol

Mcadoo
AC green
Rambis(I need the goggles)
Big shot Bob
LO (on the bubble)

Elgin Baylor
Big game james
Jamal Wilkes (silk is on the bubble)
Sorry metta..you were at your peak in Sac and Chicago jerseys
Cedric Ceballos misses the cut since he went to lake havasu on us

kobe
The Logo
Gail Goodrich
B.Scott as a player...lol
Cooper- you better make room for one of the greatest laker perimeter defenders of all time if not THEE greatest..

Does Eddie Jones make the cut?

Magic
Norm Nixon
Fisher- the man has 5 rings and help the highest 3pt% in the playoffs for a few years.

Nick Van Exel?(bubble...1...2...3...can....)
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I still have a PS3.

see thats the thing. You're investing in your children's futures by setting the past straight today. An inaccurate past will make for an inaccurate present(whatever that means).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

2k has the same problems that plague games like call of duty. The pressure to produce a game every year causes them to cut corners.

Look no further than Julius' player model not being updated since his rookie season.

I don't pay full price for their games anymore (if I buy at all lol). I'll wait for the black friday sale or buy used. It's not worth the $60 to me and neither is live.

No offense to LD2k, who holds it down for the Lakers at 2K, but there's no question things could be improved. Might need a re-org of the way they do things to accomplish that, but they make so much money with the status quo I doubt we'll see any change

And that is the problem.

It's not like I don't understand what it takes to make games like that and change the gameplay etc. I actually do. Considering I took what I learned in how to make video games and now do 3D animation full time.

The problem is when people try to defend 2K for saying they had to focus on and prioritize other things. Which is a solid reason to have.. however, then you just bring up the BOATLOAD of gameplay problems that people have been complaining about in 2K18 since it's release. Suddenly the argument looks worse from their standpoint then.

Mad respect to LD2K, but these are problems we've seen in the game for years that fans have been complaining about, and then with the release of 2K18 and all the gameplay problems and glitches that have come with it.

You would assume that if they were spending so much time prioritizing these other things to such an extent they felt the need to cut corners on other things that they would release a better and more consistent product that wouldn't be riddled with the problems it has been. The fact it has been is something that's been beaten all around youtube and the community so I don't need to make a video on that.

So all I'm bringing up here however, is the player models, and the ratings, which are problems that fans have also been complaining about. If 2K's excuse is they just had to focus so much on the gameplay, etc then what they released and all the complaints that have come from the gameplay and it's messed up mechanics make that aspect look pretty bad in and of itself ESPECIALLY considering how much they charge for the game. If you're charging $50-$120 for a game that's essentially unfinished, unpolished, and full of glitches despite the fact you cut corners because you are said to be so focused on perfecting and getting the game play right, it really reflects bad on what the standard has become or seems to be in the eyes of the fans.

Case in point, if they felt that THIS was okay to release as Larry Bird

https://i.imgur.com/kRDaiP5.jpg

for the sake of gameplay.

Then they shouldn't be getting videos like this

or this

What this does, is create the mentality, fair or unfair, that 2K is fine releasing unfinished and unpolished games for overpriced amounts $50-$120 and then just 'dealing' with any glitches in the patches after they have your money, IF they even get to some of the issues in the first place.

But for a company who people excuse for cutting corners on player models among other things because they are so primarily focused on the gameplay and making it amazing and all this other stuff, then you'd assume people would be saying "This gameplay is some of the best 2K has ever had, yeah the player models aren't updated but its worth it for this gameplay!"

But they aren't. You get a lot of people asking them to fix the game, talking about glitches, and how unplayable it is for some, and it's the majority of the comments they get. So again, it makes that excuse look poor. Fair or not. The standard needs to be higher, and the fans deserve a higher standard if they're gonna be shelling out $50-$120 per game.

Also, thanks for the reply 22!!!

AFireInside619 wrote:
Okay OP. I was going to make a joke and just say you were upset they left DLO off the All-Time Lakers, but after watching your video, you have a lot of really good points. I'm okay with Kobe being a 98, although I understand your 99 argument. Magic, Lebron, Jordan are all 99s and I think 2K got them right. But Shaq should have been a 99 as well. Especially since he's their legendary cover athlete! He was unstoppable during our championship run. And to not have Afro Kareem & Kobe with short hair is inexcusable. Every year I complain about Randle still looking like rookie Randle. I'm not sure how Chris 2k can be a Laker fan and still be okay with their product being lazy at times. And the choppy screen after tip off, and the screen freezing (Xbox) on passes once in a while. They don't patch that stuff but are quick to patch ways to farm VC (in game credits for improving your Created Player). And don't get me started on not having 2009 or 2010 Lakers...

Exactly!
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
22 wrote:

And that is the problem.

It's not like I don't understand what it takes to make games like that and change the gameplay etc. I actually do. Considering I took what I learned in how to make video games and now do 3D animation full time.

The problem is when people try to defend 2K for saying they had to focus on and prioritize other things. Which is a solid reason to have.. however, then you just bring up the BOATLOAD of gameplay problems that people have been complaining about in 2K18 since it's release. Suddenly the argument looks worse from their standpoint then.

Mad respect to LD2K, but these are problems we've seen in the game for years that fans have been complaining about, and then with the release of 2K18 and all the gameplay problems and glitches that have come with it.

You would assume that if they were spending so much time prioritizing these other things to such an extent they felt the need to cut corners on other things that they would release a better and more consistent product that wouldn't be riddled with the problems it has been. The fact it has been is something that's been beaten all around youtube and the community so I don't need to make a video on that.

So all I'm bringing up here however, is the player models, and the ratings, which are problems that fans have also been complaining about. If 2K's excuse is they just had to focus so much on the gameplay, etc then what they released and all the complaints that have come from the gameplay and it's messed up mechanics make that aspect look pretty bad in and of itself ESPECIALLY considering how much they charge for the game. If you're charging $50-$120 for a game that's essentially unfinished, unpolished, and full of glitches despite the fact you cut corners because you are said to be so focused on perfecting and getting the game play right, it really reflects bad on what the standard has become or seems to be in the eyes of the fans.

Case in point, if they felt that THIS was okay to release as Larry Bird

https://i.imgur.com/kRDaiP5.jpg

for the sake of gameplay.

Then they shouldn't be getting videos like this

or this

What this does, is create the mentality, fair or unfair, that 2K is fine releasing unfinished and unpolished games for overpriced amounts $50-$120 and then just 'dealing' with any glitches in the patches after they have your money, IF they even get to some of the issues in the first place.

But for a company who people excuse for cutting corners on player models among other things because they are so primarily focused on the gameplay and making it amazing and all this other stuff, then you'd assume people would be saying "This gameplay is some of the best 2K has ever had, yeah the player models aren't updated but its worth it for this gameplay!"

But they aren't. You get a lot of people asking them to fix the game, talking about glitches, and how unplayable it is for some, and it's the majority of the comments they get. So again, it makes that excuse look poor. Fair or not. The standard needs to be higher, and the fans deserve a higher standard if they're gonna be shelling out $50-$120 per game.

Also, thanks for the reply 22!!!

Considering when it comes to gameplay the only comparison you can draw is to NBA Live. This is just my opinion (but it's shared by nearly everyone that plays these games) NBA lives gameplay is so far behind 2k that it is laughable. I think Live tries really hard but it just shows how difficult it is to make a basketball game up to the caliber that 2k does. I personally think that the gameplay this year is nearly flawless.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

Considering when it comes to gameplay the only comparison you can draw is to NBA Live. This is just my opinion (but it's shared by nearly everyone that plays these games) NBA lives gameplay is so far behind 2k that it is laughable. I think Live tries really hard but it just shows how difficult it is to make a basketball game up to the caliber that 2k does. I personally think that the gameplay this year is nearly flawless.

What Live needs to do imho is realize that the 'realistic sim' kind of game, isn't for them. Because it's kind of the monopoly that 2K has, they're like the Disney right now.

So the way to be competition to them isn't trying to out "sim" them. The way to be competition to them imo is to create a game based around what 2K's most popular mode is that the most glitches and complaints present themselves in.

2Ks most popular features are their MyCareer and their MyPark. Particularly their MyPark, although it and the MyCareer go hand and hand.

See the thing is, EA Sports could release a game based around those two concepts and actually be competition to 2K if they did. Instead of making a basketball Sim, they should make another NBA Street that's focused primarily on the "Park" feel. You look at all the aspects of the MyPark and what people complain about gameplay wise, etc and you work on creating a direct counter to those things.

No, thats not easy by any stretch. But creating an NBA Street that's based primarily around the blueprint 2K has made with MyPark and MyCareer and building improvements around that, with that Arcade feel to make it fun to play, and it's not "sim" so Live's ridiculous and over the top animations would feel much more 'fitting' to an NBA Street environment as opposed to trying to emulate what 2K17 does.

I say it whenever a team tries to run small with the Warriors. "How are you gonna out Fred Astaire.. Fred Astaire?" It's the same with 2K and Live imo. They aren't gonna out "sim" them. So they should try instead for creating and basing a game around the "MyPark" feel with the NBA Street vibe.

That way you present yourself as a viable alternative for players that don't want to deal with MyPark's problems while waiting for 2K to patch them. You also take away the "VC grind" feel, and present a product where players don't feel like they're paying out the wazoo and being scammed for VC WHILE not releasing a game that costs $50-$100 dollars? You present yourself as a viable threat. Now the gameplay would have to be fun, and it would take a lot of Network marketing for it to work, but that's essentially what youtube is when it comes to video games in general.

Anyway, I personally feel that Live has the wrong approach to what they're trying to compete with 2K on. But that's another subject/video for another time
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Bruh that pic of Larry Bird got me dying!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Bruh that pic of Larry Bird got me dying!

yeah, seriously. If 2K is gonna charge $50-$120 dollars for this game and they OKAY that version of Larry Bird as a player model cause making him look right would be "too time consuming" despite the fact they got new player models for some of the other legends (such as Warriors Wilt, MVP Derrick Rose, etc etc etc) then the gameplay that they're focused on and forsaking getting player models right for, and finding them worthy of skipping over to complete, had better be amazing.

But when it's released it echo'd the same problems if not more with some of the gameplay and glitches that make the game unplayable for some, and I'm not gonna go into the disappearing body parts during replays and outright nakedness of some players from time to time (yeah, sometimes the players will appear without clothes).

So to me if the excuse is going to be "We couldn't take the time to give Kobe hair, Kareem his Bucks Look + Goggles, not rehash last year's Gasol model 3-4 times. Because our priority was the gameplay." then it reflects really really bad, if the gameplay is as glitchy, uncomplete, and unpolished as has been complained about upon release, and they still charged $50-$120 for it when stuff like this happens.

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/brianmazique/files/2017/09/22050890_10210002449127100_6468991487081334166_o.jpg

Last edited by MJST on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: