3-Point Shooting: Lakers still in need of Snipers / Ranked 29th in 3-PT Made and Percetage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.

I think we will. Not sure who. But that should be, and I said should, the whole point of Lonzo IMO. He gets people good looks, and they should shoot a higher efficiency as a result.

There's no reason any of the returning guys we have don't shoot a better percentage playing with Zo than with DLo.

I think its wayyyy too early to write off anyone. I don't expect Randle to short his 3s all year, like he did last night. Lopez, KCP, Kuzma and even Clarkson all have a shot at hitting at a 35%+ clip. Ennis' 3 last year was hot too, so who knows with him. Like Randle, Ingram is a wild card, but I do expect him to get close to 35% from 3 too. And then there is Ball, who I can imagine shooting subpar early on, but getting hotter as the season move forward. While I don't think he'll get much playing time, I could see Hart being a decent sniper too.

We just don't know yet.

I agree. Not sure why some are down about it after 1 preseason game. I really expect most of our guys to shoot better than last year because lonzo will get them higher quality looks..i wont be surprised if our guys are shooting more catch/shoot this year than last, which should result in a higher percentage.

Like the 2 shooting threads have mentioned, we don't have that pure shooter / sniper type player like Young and Lou from last year - guys whose main strengths are to just shoot, shoot, shoot from distance like the Klays and Ray Allens.

There's so much Lonzo can do to give our current guys open looks but if shooting is not their main strengths there will still be a lot of bricks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully KCP can be a 37-38% catch and shoot 3 point guy.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

C- We have the best shooting C in the NBA.
PF- Kuz is looking like a great shooter... time will tell.
SF- Ingram had a lot of in and out shots but hopefully he's improved from 2017
SG- KCP was slightly above average
PG- Ball was good in college but not since

The problem isn't shooters.. I mean shooters are always nice but we need scorers.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Matt Thomas > Vander Blue

#ohnoididnt
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We may not have a 35% or better 3 point shooter this year. Crazy.

I think we will. Not sure who. But that should be, and I said should, the whole point of Lonzo IMO. He gets people good looks, and they should shoot a higher efficiency as a result.

There's no reason any of the returning guys we have don't shoot a better percentage playing with Zo than with DLo.

I think its wayyyy too early to write off anyone. I don't expect Randle to short his 3s all year, like he did last night. Lopez, KCP, Kuzma and even Clarkson all have a shot at hitting at a 35%+ clip. Ennis' 3 last year was hot too, so who knows with him. Like Randle, Ingram is a wild card, but I do expect him to get close to 35% from 3 too. And then there is Ball, who I can imagine shooting subpar early on, but getting hotter as the season move forward. While I don't think he'll get much playing time, I could see Hart being a decent sniper too.

We just don't know yet.

I agree. Not sure why some are down about it after 1 preseason game. I really expect most of our guys to shoot better than last year because lonzo will get them higher quality looks..i wont be surprised if our guys are shooting more catch/shoot this year than last, which should result in a higher percentage.

where does this thought come from? Even in college, his skills were in transition.....I do not recall his efforts doing much to create open looks in the half court. In SL, it was much the same, which is supported by the shooting %'s not dipping when he did not play. He can do a lot for our transition game from the start, but I do not see him benefiting us in the half court during his rookie year.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

bring back radmanovic
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Matt Thomas > Vander Blue

at shooting...yes
at basketball....not even close
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Either way, teams are going to rotate until they get the weakness (Clarkson) and unless we start hitting them I don't know how the bench crew wins any battles even with Kuzma. There may be a better fit, but from the looks of things Clarkson is going to be an issue.

what am I missing in this post.....is this just stupid hate from the anti Clarkson segment? The "bench crew" won the battle last night, and Clarkson was a significant part of that. Clarkson is going to be an issue in what manner.....as a shooter?

Calm down, Clarkson is cementing himself as a good iso scorer off the bench on a team that is trying to clear cap room. They dialled back on two max stars to save face but it's still plan A, and Randle at a 12M hold could make for a tough decision. Keeping Clarkson long term won't be a tough decision if he never develops.

It's one game, but he got lit up and isn't the shooter they could really use off the bench. If you go trough the archives I actually wanted them to deal back into the late 1st to draft him and they still got him in the 2nd. He's a luxury that doesn't fit their plan like it or not. He needs moved and if someone can use him and they get some sort of shooter then great. That won't fix things overnight as the youngsters that get pt will have to hit shots, but it could help.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

You're not winning 30 games in today's NBA if Brook Lopez is your best shooter lol
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
adkindo wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Either way, teams are going to rotate until they get the weakness (Clarkson) and unless we start hitting them I don't know how the bench crew wins any battles even with Kuzma. There may be a better fit, but from the looks of things Clarkson is going to be an issue.

what am I missing in this post.....is this just stupid hate from the anti Clarkson segment? The "bench crew" won the battle last night, and Clarkson was a significant part of that. Clarkson is going to be an issue in what manner.....as a shooter?

Calm down, Clarkson is cementing himself as a good iso scorer off the bench on a team that is trying to clear cap room. They dialled back on two max stars to save face but it's still plan A, and Randle at a 12M hold could make for a tough decision. Keeping Clarkson long term won't be a tough decision if he never develops.

It's one game, but he got lit up and isn't the shooter they could really use off the bench. If you go trough the archives I actually wanted them to deal back into the late 1st to draft him and they still got him in the 2nd. He's a luxury that doesn't fit their plan like it or not. He needs moved and if someone can use him and they get some sort of shooter then great. That won't fix things overnight as the youngsters that get pt will have to hit shots, but it could help.

the thing is I have little doubt there will be nights where Clarkson is a or even the problem.....but your post suggest that what you saw last night was problematic. He was solid last night, and I doubt if he played off the bench all season like he did last night, most Lakers fans would be that upset....nothing to write home about, but it was "ok" at worst. There were a lot of glaring problems last night....but Clarkson's play would be way down on that list. Tomorrow, it may be near the top, and I would understand the criticism.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Sign one? No. It's too late for that. We're going to need to trade for one., though, IMO.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Matt thomas still in europe
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Dunleavy still available?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Trade Randle, Clarkson and Deng to Dallas for Matthews, McRoberts and Harris.

Why for Lakers?

1. We get rid of Deng's contract.

2. We get rid of Clarkson's contract.

3. Matthews is still under contract for next year, but at lease he is a useful player. He shot 36% from three the past two seasons on high volume 2.5 makes per game. He is a career 39% three point shooter.

4. Frees up log jam at power forward.

5. McRoberts and Harris are expiring contracts.

6. Not sure if you could use stretch provision on players that you traded for, but if Mathews is able to be stretched, only 6 million of his 18 million would count against our cap.

Why for Mavs

1. They acquire two local kids in Randle and Clarkson.

2. They could actually use a power forward and a center.

3. Dirk has raved about Randle.

4. They ad two young talented local players without having to give up much. Sure, Deng's contract is atrocious but they seem to not mind paying big money to mediocre players like Matthews.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

More like, they don't need to SIGN a 3-point shooter.

They need to BE the 3-point shooters. Last night's perimeter shooting was atrocious.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

But...but....Ingram and Randle worked on their three point shooting all summer, so we should be fine, right?

Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

They actually need more than one 3pt shooter. Their catch and shoot guys are crap with the exception of Kuzma, and possibly Caruso. You need dead eye players that can make you pay if you don't rotate defensively. Lonzo's game will struggle unless the Lakers can assemble this type of team. Even the big guys will have to hit 3's when it's available. I will have to see how Lopez works out but so far it's too much of catch and drive to the rim and attempt a difficult shot. I saw Lonzo looking for cutters but nobody did anything, instead they waited to be fed so they could initiate their iso offense.
Even with dead eye shooters if there is not rim protection the Lakers won't go anywhere.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

Ditt with a capital O
Reports all off season were that Clarkson was nailing 3s. He shot well overall last night but people keep saying the same stuff before he gets a chance to do his thing in a real offense and put that kind of talk to sleep. He shot 60% even after blowing a layup.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
They actually need more than one 3pt shooter. Their catch and shoot guys are crap with the exception of Kuzma, and possibly Caruso. You need dead eye players that can make you pay if you don't rotate defensively. Lonzo's game will struggle unless the Lakers can assemble this type of team. Even the big guys will have to hit 3's when it's available. I will have to see how Lopez works out but so far it's too much of catch and drive to the rim and attempt a difficult shot. I saw Lonzo looking for cutters but nobody did anything, instead they waited to be fed so they could initiate their iso offense.
Even with dead eye shooters if there is not rim protection the Lakers won't go anywhere.

Always start a 7 footer and quit over working 6'9" guys at center. All 4 centers play the position better than their fwds do.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
More like, they don't need to SIGN a 3-point shooter.

They need to BE the 3-point shooters. Last night's perimeter shooting was atrocious.

Last night's 3 pt shooting was like the way the summer league started. They seemed to figure things out ok after they took a couple games getting to know each other.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

Trade Randle and 2018 rnd round pick to Brooklyn for Joe Harris and 2018 top 20 protected Raptors 1st rd pick. They need a power forward and we need a shooter. They seem to have a lot of shooting type guards in Russell, Crabbe and Levert. Maybe they may be willing to part with Harris, who shot 39% from three last season. Maybe they expand the trade by including Clarkson and Booker?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject:

I'd sign a veteran PG to backup Lonzo before we sign another shooter.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

Why not show a bit of patience? There may not be any "pure shooting" over 40% types but there are several that can (and will IMO) be in that acceptable 35-40% range as the season develops.

It looked to me like they were rushing shots in that first game. Overzealous "we have to play fast" mentality was prominent. I'll attribute that to the first game . Lets see what they do over the next few. I expect many to improve as the team settles in offensively. KCP is a better shooter then we saw. Same as Ball. Lopez will likely bring some stability too. We may have to accept the overall positives some of the players bring and accept the less then stellar 3pt%.

As to adding shooters. The Lakers had all off-season to sign one. But I remember the main rhetoric around here as "protect the 2 max plan" and the Lakers choosing to only sign one year deals or save cap. This is another natural outcome of that philosophy. We have to accept the compromises.

In this case, accept no pure shooters at this time and hope like hell they calm down and find their groove for the season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Why not show a bit of patience? There may not be any "pure shooting" over 40% types but there are several that can (and will IMO) be in that acceptable 35-40% range as the season develops.

It looked to me like they were rushing shots in that first game. Overzealous "we have to play fast" mentality was prominent. I'll attribute that to the first game . Lets see what they do over the next few. I expect many to improve as the team settles in offensively. KCP is a better shooter then we saw. Same as Ball. Lopez will likely bring some stability too. We may have to accept the overall positives some of the players bring and accept the less then stellar 3pt%.

As to adding shooters. The Lakers had all off-season to sign one. But I remember the main rhetoric around here as "protect the 2 max plan" and the Lakers choosing to only sign one year deals or save cap. This is another natural outcome of that philosophy. We have to accept the compromises.

In this case, accept no pure shooters at this time and hope like hell they calm down and find their groove for the season.

Not sure what the "2 max plan" has to do with anything.

They picked up KCP, who is a 3/D guy. They drafted a prospect in Lonzo.

It's the incumbent Ingram/Jules that are a bit of an unknown at 3.

I just don't think we will have dead eye 3 point shooters, especially after we no longer have Lou/Swaggy/DLO any more.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
KCP is a better shooter then we saw. Same as Ball.

If SL is any indication, Ball is likely to struggle shooting this season. I would be surprised if he shoots the 3 Pointer at much more than a 30% clip.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: