3-Point Shooting: Lakers still in need of Snipers / Ranked 29th in 3-PT Made and Percetage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
there is a kid playing for Brooklyn tonight, stroking it from all over the court....but it will be a while before he is an UFA

He and KAT are going to sign with Phoenix to play with their pal Booker. #BananaBoat2.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

3pt shooting has been lacking on this team for a long time now. This is why I believe Kuzma will be starting at the 4 soon. He just gives so much more space for everyone else to operate. The only problem is rebounding will suffer with a front court of Kuz and Lopez
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
3pt shooting has been lacking on this team for a long time now. This is why I believe Kuzma will be starting at the 4 soon. He just gives so much more space for everyone else to operate. The only problem is rebounding will suffer with a front court of Kuz and Lopez

I'll take a shooting boost over a rebounding loss any day of the week. I've yet to see any conclusive evidence that rebounding correlates with winning or even good defense (e.g 2014 Miami Heat).
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

http://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=1

Lakers are ranked 29th among NBA teams in both 3-pointers made and 3-point percentage. Ranked 33rd counting the NBA international teams.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

I'll take a shooting boost over a rebounding loss any day of the week. I've yet to see any conclusive evidence that rebounding correlates with winning or even good defense (e.g 2014 Miami Heat).

This is a reason that I think Lopez/Randle/Kuzma could work well. Randle does bang around for rebounds pretty well and he's shown himself willing to get the ball in Lonzo's hands quickly. For that matter, Lonzo's not a bad at rebounding as guards go. Odd as it sounds I think that's almost preferable to Kuzma b/c by the time the defense realizes Lonzo has possession Kuzma's already nearing the top of the key on the other side of the court, ready for that bullet pass.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I stumbled laughing on the "still" and "more" modifiers in the OP's topic question. Do the Lakers still need to add more three pointer shooting ? Sheet, man, they needed to add a first three point shooter to the roster months ago.

They didn't, so I'm OK with that. The goal on the season is clearly not to win a playoff berth; it's to develop the players already here and figure who works best with Ingram and Ball, then make moves so as to acquire three point shooters and play makers. I'm on board with all of that too. One step at a time.

--Anonymous
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
http://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=1

Lakers are ranked 29th among NBA teams in both 3-pointers made and 3-point percentage. Ranked 33rd counting the NBA international teams.
24.6% shooting beyond the 3-pt line. Ouch.

--Anonymous
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

I think it's more about better shooting skill rounding out the roster than needing one or two guys who are exceptional shooters (who generally either have serious deficiencies in other areas or are impossible to get).

Lonzo, Kuzma, Pope and Lopez will probably be average or better. Hart is TBD but we might expect hm to be slightly below league average as a rookie. Jordan is streaky and seems to have some Sasha in him.

In terms of 3pt shooting it has impressed me how little Randle's form has improved in three years. I hope to be proven wrong but in the games we've seen this preseason he's all over the place. He seems to be a hard worker but it makes me wonder about his focus and discipline. That is does he just work hard at things that he's comfortable with....Nance also hasn't made huge shooting strides that I've seen. They're actively shot doctoring Ingram's long ball but it's early to know how that is going.

It's the progress of these latter three that will likely determine if we reach league average in 3pt% as a team.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
there is a kid playing for Brooklyn tonight, stroking it from all over the court....but it will be a while before he is an UFA

That kid seems to be shooting at 35.3% in the preseason right now. This still doesn't make the OP's level of 40%--although 35.3% is higher than everybody on the Lakers except two players, one of whom came to the Lakers when the Brooklyn kid left.

--Anonymous
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

Summer league . Matt Thomas.

Still can't believe we didn't sign him. He was our third best player after Lonzo and Kuzma. He was raining threes.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

Still can't believe we didn't sign him. He was our third best player after Lonzo and Kuzma. He was raining threes.

Matt Thomas is now at 66.7% (8 for 12) 3pt shooting through 3 games in EuroLeague.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

I'd say 4th behind Blue as well. But they aren't even giving Blue a chance in pre-season.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

I'd say 4th behind Blue as well. But they aren't even giving Blue a chance in pre-season.
I feel they envisioned Blue as kind of a replacement for Lou Williams/Jordan Clarkson as scorer off the bench. He gets to the line, but is still a mediocre shooter. I agree we should of signed Matt Thomas. Hes kind of small, but a shooter like that, we could of fit him in. I think the Lakers should explore a deal with Brooklyn. They have Joe Harris, who the Lakers i think took a look at a few years ago. Last season, he averaged 8ppg and 40% from three for the Nets. Brooklyn seems to have a few shooters on their roster already, like Dlo, Crabbe and LeVert. Maybe the Lakers could put together a trade with them. Im thinking something like Clarkson, Randle, Zubac and two 2nd round picks for Booker and Harris.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

We had some snipers last year....lou/swaggy...didn't make a difference. We just need the right people shooting 3's....Lopez/Kuzma shooting 6-8 a piece a game, clarkson/KCP/Lonzo a couple and that's it. Randle, Nance, Ennis, BI..need to not shoot them because they aren't good at it, JR especially. I don't know if I've ever seen an athlete that is so confident that they can do things they can't, it's admirable in a way...but he needs to stop.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

Yeah. That was a BAD decision.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but can they play Deng more to improve the shooting?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry guys, we have Travis underWear locked up now. We can call him up for spot up 3's & white guy to white guy alley oops with Caruso. 😂😂😂
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I think it's more about better shooting skill rounding out the roster than needing one or two guys who are exceptional shooters (who generally either have serious deficiencies in other areas or are impossible to get).

Lonzo, Kuzma, Pope and Lopez will probably be average or better. Hart is TBD but we might expect hm to be slightly below league average as a rookie. Jordan is streaky and seems to have some Sasha in him.

In terms of 3pt shooting it has impressed me how little Randle's form has improved in three years. I hope to be proven wrong but in the games we've seen this preseason he's all over the place. He seems to be a hard worker but it makes me wonder about his focus and discipline. That is does he just work hard at things that he's comfortable with....Nance also hasn't made huge shooting strides that I've seen. They're actively shot doctoring Ingram's long ball but it's early to know how that is going.

It's the progress of these latter three that will likely determine if we reach league average in 3pt% as a team.

The reason Randle is not a better shooter is because he rushes everything. Even with free throws he literally shots the balls as it's being handed to him.
The man needs to slow down, there's no thinking in his game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

He is a dead eye shooter....but he is not an NBA player from what I saw.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Historically, Lopez and Pope have been below average 3-point shooters. I don't think that's going to change. Kuzma was good in summer league, but he wasn't much of a 3-point shooter in college and he's shot less than 30% in preseason, so I don't expect him to be a 3-point marksman when the games get real.

I don't think we'll have anyone near to 40%; might not even have anyone who breaks 36% which is about the league average.

Last year we were 22nd in the league in 3-pointing, and I think we'll be worse this year.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Historically, Lopez and Pope have been below average 3-point shooters. I don't think that's going to change. Kuzma was good in summer league, but he wasn't much of a 3-point shooter in college and he's shot less than 30% in preseason, so I don't expect him to be a 3-point marksman when the games get real.

I don't think we'll have anyone near to 40%; might not even have anyone who breaks 36% which is about the league average.

Last year we were 22nd in the league in 3-pointing, and I think we'll be worse this year.

What are we using for average 3-pt shooting? League average on attempts? Median percentage of players? A set %?
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He and KAT are going to sign with Phoenix to play with their pal Booker. #BananaBoat2.0

Isnt KAT from jersey? Wouldnt it make sense for him to go to the Nets?

How ironic would it be, we dump DLO to attract players but DLO turns out to be an attraction lol
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Can't believe I'm saying this, but can they play Deng more to improve the shooting?

Why not.
When you have Lonzo-KCP-Deng-Lopez on the floor you have good shooting.
Along with Ingram or Kuzma at SF that's a very respectable line up of shooters.
Not one of them is a automatic from 3 but they're all respectable. I'd say that's good if you ask me.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

LakersNewEra wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Why not.
When you have Lonzo-KCP-Deng-Lopez on the floor you have good shooting.
Along with Ingram or Kuzma at SF that's a very respectable line up of shooters.
Not one of them is a automatic from 3 but they're all respectable. I'd say that's good if you ask me.

Sad that a guy who shoots 33% from 3 in his career is seen as one of our best shooters
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Where would we get them?

Yep very disappointed we couldn’t sign him. He was darn near automatic from 3 at SL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: