Defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Defense

why is our defense still so bad? any chance this turns around from last year? Even though its preseason, its still very frustrating to watch. Someone give me hope!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense

Laker Junkie wrote:
why is our defense still so bad? any chance this turns around from last year? Even though its preseason, its still very frustrating to watch. Someone give me hope!

I'm a believer that bad offense makes worse defense.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Everything is bad because they've only been practicing for 3 days.. 3 days. And I'm a Luke skeptic.. but 3 days
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

We don't have many great defenders in this team, but with the players we have, we should be in the middle of the pack defensively at the end of the season, somewhere between 10 and 20 on 30 teams. If we're still bottom 5, I'll try to worry about Walton's ability to teach defense...
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

On our entire roster, IMO, we only have 2 above average defenders....brewer and KCP...and they are only slightly above average. The rest of our roster consists of some of the worst defenders in the league (Randle, JC, BI) sprinkled in with some average ones (Nance, Deng) and some unproven ones (Ball, Kuz). We have no great defensive players and only a couple of good ones...so our defense sux. Will continue to sux for a while.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
On our entire roster, IMO, we only have 2 above average defenders....brewer and KCP...and they are only slightly above average. The rest of our roster consists of some of the worst defenders in the league (Randle, JC, BI) sprinkled in with some average ones (Nance, Deng) and some unproven ones (Ball, Kuz). We have no great defensive players and only a couple of good ones...so our defense sux. Will continue to sux for a while.

Meh, lots of teams have bad individual defenders yet play good team defense
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

When you clank that many 3 pointers. Nobody can play great defensive.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Besides, it's not like individual defense even matters much. That's only for defending against isos which are rare anyway. Mostly only the nba stars will do those, and then you can use a good defender to try to stop them. But at that point you're looking at double teaming anyway. So once again it's team defense.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

We did hold them to 41%shooting. And we shot 44 %. But our 3 point shooting was horrible. It could only get better.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

And 28 ast is more than our avg last year.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense

Laker Junkie wrote:

This is what I focused on, and yes, I understand we've had 4 practices, but the problem continues to be everyone not being on the same page. Between on-ball defense, help defense, and pick and roll defense, you never know what we're doing. Generally we're looking to ICE, but our on-ball defender will play it too open (Lonzo especially) and absolutely die on screens. Then the man defending the pick sometimes lays back, sometimes hedged hard (leading to needing a 3rd rotation), sometimes switched. I wish we would just keep it simple and go with one strategy on how to guard the ball so the rotations are set. It just feels like we never do the same thing twice on defense.

Looking forward to LFR breaking this down and explaining it better than me.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

It is up to the coach to hold everyone accountable. You want good team defense, then you immediately take out a player when they're not doing their job. plain and simple
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I didn't see terrible defense. We missed a ton of 3s which lead to easy scores and lots of contested shots that went in. I think they shot 41%. Last year teams shot much better.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject:

Not to mention we trotted Nance out there at center for the first time. He will get some run at center this season, but not against starting centers.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject:

They can speak about defense as much as they wont but they actually have to start playing D on the court. It doesn't mean anything if you just speak and speak all the time about it. I didn't see any of that last night. Any. They have to start doing their job and play the D on the court.
But also one thing about the defense in our team. This team is just too young to play good defense. Mostly because players are just physically weak and not matured enough.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
On our entire roster, IMO, we only have 2 above average defenders....brewer and KCP...and they are only slightly above average.

I think KCP has a very effective agent who has convinced everyone that KCP is a better defensive player than he really is.

--Anonymous
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject:

the lakers dont have the personnel to play great defense, dont expect miracles out of this bunch
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

You guys are always talking down to me

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

If it's any consolation, I think the Wolves were projected to finish top 5 in the West, which ranks them among the elite teams. I think after last night's game, my expectation for the Lakers this season came down to earth again. We'll be a 33-win team that miss the playoffs but improve over last year.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:

I would add LNJ to being a fairly good defender. His footwork is incredible, and his help D and amount of area he covers is exceptional. Some guys need experience and some guys are just lazy (JR takes the prize).
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject:

First of all, we played small ball with Nance at center way too long against a starting unit that included KAT, with no Lopez and no Bogut for rim protection. It also doesn't help that we missed a TON of 3's.

In terms of evaluating this team's defense, these games are almost a throw away set of games until we get our starting and backup centers. We do know that defense suffers when we go death lineup against starting units for too long of a time.

I can see wanting to rest Lopez' back, but what the hell is with the visa problem for Bogut, anyhow? Frustrating that even for an NBA player that takes so long to clear up. 20 minutes of Bogut down low last night would have made life much tougher on the TWolves, allowed Nance to play more at 4 where he's far more effective, and allowed Randle enough rest to go flat out when he needed to, which is every second he's out there.

Ball's team defense will improve I believe, Kuzma should have been a big liablity but wasn't, from what I could see.

Minnesota shot 41%. Really need to see another game or two, hopefully with at least one of Lopez or Bogut available, before I get too upset about awful defense on a sloppy first preseason game.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

I can see wanting to rest Lopez' back, but what the hell is with the visa problem for Bogut, anyhow? Frustrating that even for an NBA player that takes so long to clear up.

The process of getting a visa this year takes more time than what it did two or more years ago. For regular folk, the process can take three months (or longer). On the other hand, Bogut should have applied for the visa earlier. Admittedly, one needs some sort of employment to make an application, but his agent should found a way to have the application sent in.

--Anonymous
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Super young team that hasn't really learned defense at the NBA level. Some of the guys just had trouble competing physically (Wiggins repeatedly attacking Ingram and outmuscling, Nance against MIN frontline). Wiggins shot poorly, but I think Ingram got away with a bit.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
You guys are always talking down to me

Because you need to step it up. The coaches have already stressed that we can't win without you.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

There were some nice flashes by the starters last night. If they build on that things could look decent by the beginning of the season. They contested shots pretty well, fouls were a real issue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: