Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

Feels weird to be behind a computer. It's been awhile. It was good to meet a few twitter buddies. The game was enjoyable, but as expected, game 1 of the preseason was a bit of a slop fest. Guys aren't in mid-season form with that kind of shooting and there were some conditioning issues on the floor with a 48min game as opposed to the 40 minute games in Vegas.

Lonzo Ball - Expected, considering his game 1 in Vegas wasn't stellar. Throttles off screens now with the 24 second clock. Was actually happy he had some minutes at 2 very late in the game next to Caruso, where, hopefully, the Laker PGs can exploit his off-ball abilities. Otherwise, he's still picking out his spots to be aggressive and when to pass. I think he purposely drives into traffic (habit from his HS days) to draw the jump pass, but with NBA length and coverage, those kickouts are turnovers.

Julius Randle - I think it's plenty fair to say that his shooting has improved. I counted at least 3 right-handed finishes around the rim, and a much more fluid shot from midrange. Unfortunately, his 3-point stroke isn't there, as he pulled a string on both shots, which was evident from his Laker practices as well. He twists into the shot. The left foot lands farther than the right foot considerably. It's like he's throwing his left arm just to heave the shot up. As I mentioned before, a 3-point shot should be similar to a free throw; squared up, even footing, just with more arc behind the shot. However, I definitely trust him 20' and in.

That being said, he still drives into traffic. He barrels right into the help defense. Fortunately, he did make a corner read on a mid-post attack late in the game, but that decision needs to be immediate for the corner 3 to be open, not contested. He defended KAT the best he could. While he could hang in terms of strength, KATs guard skills just left Randle bewildered.

Nance Jr. - Didn't think he looked comfortable being outsized at C. Gibson has length and motor. Dieng is a perfectly valuable backup C/PF. Outmatched by KAT. There was little opportunity for Nance to exploit his athletic abilities and motor against this front line. Small-ball lineups work when the lineups can hang defensively against the opponent. Didn't happen against MIN.

Brewer - Matched up against Wiggins and got beat quite a bit. The Lakers need to find a way to unlock his fast break ability. He's less of a man-defender and more of a team rover, where he anticipated a pass (from a halfcourt trap) and got a breakaway dunk. Note that he didn't really shoot from the perimeter. He may be the Lakers best wing defender at 3, but that's not saying much.

Zubac - Captain 8% finally looked like himself. He got his hands back, which he seemed to have lost in Vegas. Great PnR play with Ennis and had multiple finishes around the rim. More importantly, showed a little better contest on PnR coverage out to a midrange shot and better defensive stance defending the paint. One of the standouts from last night's game. I even appreciated that he was willing to shoot the 3.

Clarkson - When he's bad, he's awful. I just don't think that the scoring, 6th man role works best for him because he defaults into an attack mode instead of playmaking for others. Seemed like a typical JC game, but was hoping to see the "infectious passing" present itself as drive and kick opportunities. Most effective with a clean screen near the arc and will pull up behind it.

Ingram - Far more aggressive than last season and took a high volume of shot creation attempts. A bit concerned that he defaults into an Iso/dribble game instead of moving the ball. Could be a touch a more decisive offensively, but was happy to see less hesitance on his catch and shoot. How do we teach this guy to be an opportunistic ball-handler and play off-ball?

Kuzma - Player of the game. Just looked decisive and deliberate offensively with his shot and his drives. Never seems selfish. Defended multiple positions on the floor and didn't really notice any major issues. He has to play. Both he and Lonzo meld perfectly into what LAL wants as a system and within halfcourt play.

KCP - A bit disappointed that he didn't hit more of his shots. I don't think he's in game shape yet. He's been a more explosive player and is plenty capable as a corner 3-ball shooter. Biggest concern was just his halfcourt passing. Wasn't too crisp between teammates. Didn't even pay attention to his defense. KCP isn't exactly a great volume shooter either.

Tyler Ennis - Really underrated game. Played well next to Zubac. Took good shots out of PnR sequences. Looked a lot like the guy we saw at the end of last season, not the years prior. Doesn't push tempo or pass guys open like Zo. Not as risky of a passer. High volume assists in limited minutes. Was always known for his halfcourt execution and decision-making since his Syracuse days.

Thomas Bryant - One of these days, his 3-point shot is going to click. Has similar form to Kuzma, but hasn't shown the touch just yet. Great activity level in limited minutes. Really want to see him get more PT despite the mistakes he makes on the floor. It's really difficult to get guys that big, with at least solid athleticism, and great motor at the NBA level. We've got one that's shown 3-point range. Concerned about his halfcourt passing too.

Vander Blue - Plays a lot like JC, less likely to force the issue in Iso.

The ball moves much better with the Vegas or near Vegas lineups out there. Guys like Randle and BI can stall the ball a bit because they're reading the defense after the catch, not before it. The Vegas team basically has Lonzo and the finishers. JC, Randle, and sometimes BI add the Iso elements that the Lakers are trying to get away from.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Nice recap
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

Good to see you back in the saddle Mike!!

Each observation is right on from what I watched. My biggest takeaways from this game are:

1) first preseason game is always sloppy,
2) small ball for too many minutes against KAT and the TWolve front line is just begging for trouble,
3) Kuzma is the real deal
4) Ennis is a very good backup to Lonzo. Tyler is better than most people realize, and he's going to get minutes while Lonzo sits for breathers and coaching for things like "stop trying to throw a pass mid-jump out of the teeth of the defense!"
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Nice recap

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Welcome back LG! Thanks for the tidbits. Please me mindful of the fact that we welcome tidbits, scraps, and leftovers as well.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. Glad you're feeling better
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

Mike@LG wrote:

The ball moves much better with the Vegas or near Vegas lineups out there. Guys like Randle and BI can stall the ball a bit because they're reading the defense after the catch, not before it. The Vegas team basically has Lonzo and the finishers. JC, Randle, and sometimes BI add the Iso elements that the Lakers are trying to get away from.

That's going to be the challenge for those guys. I'll assume it's going to get better once they throttle up the motion offense practice at some point.
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

agreed.

thanks for insight Mike
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

Mike@LG wrote:
Clarkson - When he's bad, he's awful. I just don't think that the scoring, 6th man role works best for him because he defaults into an attack mode instead of playmaking for others. Seemed like a typical JC game, but was hoping to see the "infectious passing" present itself as drive and kick opportunities. Most effective with a clean screen near the arc and will pull up behind it.

wow, really disagree with your perspective on JC's game....thought he moved the ball and was efficient. Had too many TO's, but besides that had a solid outing for only a little over 20 minutes play.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

From what I've seen over the last couple years, in the half court Randle doesn't have the chops to make complex reads. He's probably best off only having to decide from a couple options. He's pretty good in transition though.

I really hope Ingram can learn to make complex reads in the half court. Would have been great to get Iggy this offseason to help with that.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike,

Glad to see you up and around. Welcome back!

I liked what I saw from KCP on the defensive end but offensively was very disappointed. Agree with you assessment on his shape.

Nance looked a lot like Zubac in Vegas. Lost and confused. Nothing was working for him.

I am concerned about Ingram. While he looked great in Vegas it look like he regressed to the end of last season last night. I hope last night was a one off and not an indicator of what is to come.

Kuzma was really good last night (not has as hot of a shooter as in Vegas but still way above average).

Laker7
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
From what I've seen over the last couple years, in the half court Randle doesn't have the chops to make complex reads. He's probably best off only having to decide from a couple options. He's pretty good in transition though.

I really hope Ingram can learn to make complex reads in the half court. Would have been great to get Iggy this offseason to help with that.

He made that KCP corner read just once, but 3 bulldozes down the paint without a bucket or a foul call is unacceptable. If the help is there, the corner is open.

WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Very nice read. Thank you for sharing. I especially agree with the bit about Ennis. He will have a role if he continues to take care of the ball.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Thought our team put up a respectable exhibition against a stacked would be playoff contender.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Thought our team put up a respectable exhibition against a stacked would be playoff contender.

A few made 3s would have gone a long way, but that comes with conditioning too.

lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Nice write-up. I hope Luke incorporates more half-court sets into their plans going into the game Monday. They looked awful on that end.

Kuzma stood out. Best player on the floor offensively. Ennis looked solid. Ball will find his way; and as you mentioned, I liked Ingram's aggression.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the insights Mike.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

Mike@LG wrote:
The Vegas team basically has Lonzo and the finishers. JC, Randle, and sometimes BI add the Iso elements that the Lakers are trying to get away from.

Nailed it.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject:

Lonzo's kick out drives actually remind me of a more poorly executed version of his idol's, Lebron. He'll need better finishing ability to pull those off.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

RYZ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The Vegas team basically has Lonzo and the finishers. JC, Randle, and sometimes BI add the Iso elements that the Lakers are trying to get away from.

Nailed it.

GS would disagree, they added the guy (Durant) who could add iso elements
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

Nice breakdown Mike. I think it's going to be an adjustment for a lot of these guys to play at the hyper speed that Lonzo will impose on the offense. For guys who are naturally used to making quick shoot/attack/pass decisions it's easier, but for others it can lead to turnovers or confusion.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

venturalakersfan wrote:
RYZ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Nailed it.

GS would disagree, they added the guy (Durant) who could add iso

elements

KD is the ultimate catch and shoot player, and he doesn't take away from the GS system, but enhanced it.

Add someone like WB to the Warriors, and maybe you have a point. But KD is an elite 3 point shooter and shooter overall. What GS lacked was a guy who could create his own shot and they got him.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

RYZ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Nailed it.

THIS. Ball will never be able to do his thing unless the above guys buy into ball movement. The ball sticks. I remember wishing Matt Thomas was in the game.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

venturalakersfan wrote:
RYZ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Nailed it.

well if JC played like Durant I mean...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Tidbits from LAL vs. MIN

venturalakersfan wrote:
RYZ wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Nailed it.

KD doesn't default to it like BI does. Nowhere near the OKC frequency.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: