NUGGETS -at- LAKERS – 10-2-17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:
Kuzma right now is where I hope BI will be by midseason.

Remember, Kuz is also 2 years older than BI.

This.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Love the game from Kuz. Ball, Randle, KCP, BI, and Lopez will be fine. Deng & Kuz off the bench will provide some really good 3 & D play that we've lacked from the forward spot.

After 2 preseason games - I am legit disappointed in JC and Nance. If those guys aren't ready now - they NEVER will be.

Excited to see Hart provide some spark off the bench eventually. He especially makes JC expendable.

How bummed would Nance be if we traded him before the dunk contest? Oh well - no reason to develop anymore - go be Mr. Potential on someone else's roster.
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Kuz as the go to closing scorer is not a good look for B.I. I'm okay with this though.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

[quote="DancingBarry"]
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Looks like Randle is in great shape and fills the star line, but he doesn't appear to make a tangible impact on games - wondering why
Definitely think there's some issues with intangibles. If he did more of that dirty work on D like the jumpball he forced with Faried, just making plus plays on D or setting better screens on the other end...I think those are all little things that this team needs more of and his impact would be greater. Of course, with young players, those are the kinds of things they often only learn over time/experience.[/quoteBall vs Randle

In scrimmages with different lineups, Ball's team won (albeit small sample size)

Randle has a fantastic physical skills and definitely worked on his body during the off-season. In the NBA (past, present and future) will/has/is be always filled with great athletes playing that will always be on the court and often times fill the stat line and provide numerous examples unworldly physical skills. Since he is in his contract year and has starting a family, he is playing for a new contract.

Understandable situation. It does go contrary on the attitude that Magic's Laker teams (along with the current Warriors team) had regarding what is more important - getting impressive stats or winning RINGS (hello Kyrie Irving).

Ironic that Nance has a different issue - he has good athletic abilities (not quite as good as Randle) but surprisingly lack the basketball IQ to always influence a game through one or more of his skill set.

These two will have long NBA careers. Randle has many positives, though hasn't developed the ability to play consistent D and being a constant and consistent force. Nance has great jumping ability and plays better D than Randle, when he is engage. What these players do this season will dictate the level of NBA success they will attain.

Will JC ever have the NBA skillset, focus and drive to be a starting PG on an elite team? At this time, he is not.

Hopefully Ball's leadership and skills will hide the above-listed deficiencies to have them play at a much higher level
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:
Kuzma right now is where I hope BI will be by midseason.

Remember, Kuz is also 2 years older than BI.

This.

That's why I said "hope." And hopefully, Kuzma will be at an even higher level himself.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
That first quarter gave me a glimpse of what this team can look like.

So early in the preseason with such a short training camp. I am happy to see a glimpse!

I agree. The first 20 minutes or so of the game I thought the Lakers were going to blow the Nuggets out. Our starters looked better than their starters on the court for that first stretch, including Ingram. Of course the Nuggets have a lot of established vets likely to cruise through the first half of a preseason game too.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Scherm wrote:
Thanks DB!

I was at the game last night. A few of my thoughts:

KCP is a junkyard dog on defense. He got low, moved his feet, denied easy looks and hit the floor diving for loose balls. Same with Tyler Ennis. Vander Blue was fiery as well. Even before the injury, Lonzo was passive on defense. Guys blew by him and he gave a half-hearted wave to try to knock the ball loose from behind. It was a marked contrast to the rest of the guys who seemed to be scrapping for posiition.

The offense suffered and stayed around the perimeter for much of the night because none of the bigs, with the exception of Randle, were able to set effective picks. Bogut and Lopez should be able to help on that front. Guards just pushed Zubac out of the way when they would have been flat on their ass trying to run thru Bogut or Lopez. That has the potential to help the whole offense.

Every time the Lakers got out on the break and finished with authority, Magic was on his feet celebrating. You know it's the style of play he wants to see them get into consistently.

Magic has also been in Brandon Ingram's ear telling him to force his way into the paint, absorb the contact, and use his length to score. He was very aggressive to follow that, especially in the first half when he had more playing time.

You could tell the difference between the men's bodies on the Nuggets vs. the rail thin Baby Lakers who are in the weight room constantly, but who are going to take some time to fill out and gain strength. Ingram's frame may mean he's always a beanpole, like Durant or George Gervin, but it doesn't mean he won't be effective.

All around, the Lakers played with great energy and got more than their share of the 50-50 balls that were up for grabs, simply because of their aggressiveness. They are fun to watch.

Did you see this during the game, or are you referring to comments that Magic made leading up to the preseason? This is concerning if it's happening during the game. Magic has got to let Luke coach his team without interfering. Part of the issue with BI right now is that he's trying too hard to live up to Magic's expectation that he'll be our go-to guy and leading scorer.

No, not during the game -- sorry for any confusion. BI had been quoted as saying Magic wanted him to go hard inside, draw the contact and use his height, and he was doing that almost every time down in the first quarter. Magic didn't interfere in the game but he definitely was up on his feet whenever they got out and ran a great fast break. Pelinka sat next to him on the baseline.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: