Captains to pick teams for NBA All-Star Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Captains to pick teams for NBA All-Star Game

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20905491/nba-all-star-game-switch-formats-captains-pick-team-conference-affiliations

Quote:
The NBA All-Star Game will switch formats this season, as two captains will select the teams regardless of which conferences the players play in, the league announced Tuesday.

The players who win the fan vote from each conference will be the captains.

There will still be 12 players selected from each conference for the game in Los Angeles on Feb. 18. Five players from each conference will be selected as starters with fan vote being worth 50 percent, player vote worth 25 percent and media vote 25 percent. Seven reserves for each team will be picked by each conference's head coaches.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

If Lebron picks Lonzo I'm pretty sure Twitter and this site will melt.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

LeBron picks PG13 after that
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

KD vs Bron most likely

KD will pick Kyrie and Bron will pick Russ

I also hope we get to see the teams get picked live. It probably won't happen though to save the embarassment of being picked last
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

This is what happens when you let all the stars go to a single conference. You a glorified recess pickup game instead of a real ASG.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

If I understood it correctly, I like it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Eh. I don't think I've watched more than five minutes of an all star game since the '90s. I find them to be almost as boring as the dunk context. At least this adds a little intrigue.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

What if LeBron picks Shabazz Muhamed?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Kobe would have picked Tyson Chandler and Jason Kidd.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

If I understood it correctly, he can't pick who's selected as an All-Star. That's still up to fans, players, media and coaches. All he can do is pick from those selected to form his team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

If I understood it correctly, he can't pick who's selected as an All-Star. That's still up to fans, players, media and coaches. All he can do is pick from those selected to form his team.

Exactly.

And yes, they had to do this because most of the talent resides out west
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
KD vs Bron most likely

I also hope we get to see the teams get picked live. It probably won't happen though to save the embarassment of being picked last

It would be awesome to do it the old school yard way. Whoever got picked last would have a chip on their shoulder.

I think Steph will have the most votes, along with Lebron. Not Durant.

Since there won't be any Conference representation, is this just another way to work in jersey advertisements? Are we really going to have the Team Kia vs Team Unilever?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
KD vs Bron most likely

It would be awesome to do it the old school yard way. Whoever got picked last would have a chip on their shoulder.

I think Steph will have the most votes, along with Lebron. Not Durant.

Since there won't be any Conference representation, is this just another way to work in jersey advertisements? Are we really going to have the Team Kia vs Team Unilever?

Undoubtedly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

I doubt Ball will make the team.

Basically, the voting will be done as it was last year. Five starters will be selected from each conference by a combination of fan, media and player votes. The coaches will then select 7 subs from each conference.

Those 24 players will be the pool that the two captains can draft from, regardless of conference. Lebron couldn't choose Bell unless he made the first cut of the voting or coaches selection, and that's a high bar in the west.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LOL, they obviously did this because most of the best players are now in the West...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Kobe would have picked Tyson Chandler and Jason Kidd.

?

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

This sounds similar to what the NFL has done recently and I thought it was a disaster. However this is a little bit better with players still in the league being the captains. I still hate this idea. I'd have a harder time remembering which player is on which team.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
LOL, they obviously did this because most of the best players are now in the West...

Another reason I hate the idea.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:

Otherwise known as NBA free agency c. 2011
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject:

Next step is to get rid of East/West playoffs too. This is an admission that the league is unbalanced. But they probably won't think about it until Lebron moves West.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I doubt Ball will make the team.

Basically, the voting will be done as it was last year. Five starters will be selected from each conference by a combination of fan, media and player votes. The coaches will then select 7 subs from each conference.

Those 24 players will be the pool that the two captains can draft from, regardless of conference. Lebron couldn't choose Bell unless he made the first cut of the voting or coaches selection, and that's a high bar in the west.

I think he'll be top 5 in the fan vote (Klay Thompson 2016 area). Players vote he'll rank around 10 (similar to where Devon Booker was last year). Not sure how many fans he has in the media though. I think most coaches would pick him though, especially if he's averaging 10+ ASG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
This is what happens when you let all the stars go to a single conference. You a glorified recess pickup game instead of a real ASG.

A real ASG is a glorified recess pickup game
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Captains to pick teams for NBA All-Star Game

vanexelent wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20905491/nba-all-star-game-switch-formats-captains-pick-team-conference-affiliations

Quote:
The NBA All-Star Game will switch formats this season, as two captains will select the teams regardless of which conferences the players play in, the league announced Tuesday.

There will still be 12 players selected from each conference for the game in Los Angeles on Feb. 18. Five players from each conference will be selected as starters with fan vote being worth 50 percent, player vote worth 25 percent and media vote 25 percent. Seven reserves for each team will be picked by each conference's head coaches.

is was either here on LG, or on espn radio when I first heard this suggestion a couple of years ago and I thought it was great.

They need to lock these guys in a room with all of their possible picks. I need cameras and audio in there when it goes down. that alone is a spectacle.

the friends that wont be friends after they dont get pick is going to be hilarious.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I think most coaches would pick him though, especially if he's averaging 10+ ASG.

The coaches tend to be pretty conservative. I think the last time they voted a rookie onto the all-star team was Tim Duncan 20 years ago, and he came into the league playing at a MVP level while leading his team to a 34-14 record before the break.

Now that fans can't vote a rookie as a starter (which has happened a few times over the decade), it's going to be harder and harder for them to make a team. If any rookie makes it this year, I'd bet on Ben Simmons, because he has less competition in the east.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Captains to pick teams for NBA All-Star Game

splashmtn wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Quote:

is was either here on LG, or on espn radio when I first heard this suggestion a couple of years ago and I thought it was great.

They need to lock these guys in a room with all of their possible picks. I need cameras and audio in there when it goes down. that alone is a spectacle.

the friends that wont be friends after they dont get pick is going to be hilarious.

The interesting thing will be if they announce the order in which the captains choose players or if they simply announce the teams and let people guess how they were chosen. They might have a hard getting captains to take part in a public event where they might tick guys off.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: